2008-2009 Season Predictions...(Your Opinion is Wanted!)

Scribbles

Rotation player
With the East bolstering its lineups, the Knicks odds of making the Playoffs is dimmer than I originally thought.

Speaking realistically here, we might actually end up at the very bottom of our division. Yikes!

Think about it. We've got Tor, Philly and Boston all with improved rosters and proven. And a mediocre team in NJ who I think will honestly surprise the league. They've picked up a lot of valuable assets in the offseason (Yi, Brooke Lopez, CDR, just to name a few.)

So what are we honestly seeing here. As much as I love my Knicks and die for the orange, I don't see much success when looking at all the other clubs in our division alone.

Paul1355

All Star
With the East bolstering its lineups, the Knicks odds of making the Playoffs is dimmer than I originally thought.

Speaking realistically here, we might actually end up at the very bottom of our division. Yikes!

Think about it. We've got Tor, Philly and Boston all with improved rosters and proven. And a mediocre team in NJ who I think will honestly surprise the league. They've picked up a lot of valuable assets in the offseason (Yi, Brooke Lopez, CDR, just to name a few.)

So what are we honestly seeing here. As much as I love my Knicks and die for the orange, I don't see much success when looking at all the other clubs in our division alone.

my opinion is that we improve on offense and are one of the decent offensive teams in the East. We will probably be in the middle of the offensive rankings overall. Our defense is still questionable. Of course it can't be worse than last year, If Mike D has a brain, than he will stress defense more often than Isiah did. Mike D needs offense to spark is run and gun style of play so expect more steals and forced turnovers by the Knicks. I think we will finish above the Nets. They are a completely new team with a coach that is still on the rocks with his job security, Lawrence Frank.
At least the Knick players have played together for years, it's just finding a coach and style of play to make them all get more opportunities to impress.

Celtics, 76ers, Pistons, and Cleaveland will be the top 4 teams to beat. I think that Philly will break out this year. Iguodala is really impressing me every year and getting better. Andre miller is the floor general of that team with his great passing skills and offensive awareness. Thaddeus Young is a good SF in the making and more playing time for him is only a positive. The addition of Elton Brand put them from a B team to a A team. And Samuel Dalambert is the Center that we are drooling over. A shot blocking, good rebounding, tall center. They have every type of weapon. Offense, passing, defense, etc to go to the Eastern Championship.

Expect us to win over 30 at least. I'm guessing at best we win 38, with no injuries we can reach that number. Odds are we win 30-38 games with the other teams playing okay.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Leading the league in turnovers and a 30-52 record. Sorry for the pessimism. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see these guys as a successsful group of players. Regardless of how good a coach D'Antoni is and his system, we still have the same group of losers. Not great shooters and not good passers in D'Antoni's system = many turnovers and many losses.

I for one..

Expect 45-50 wins this year and no less. Anything less is a failure and a slight to Mike D'antoni's genius.

He is pompous enough to think a career backup can run his system well, and the Knicks are not exactly talent barren. I fully expect a winning season.

We have players who can score. A team full of them. He is a offensive guru. A pompous one at that. So if we don't make the playoffs with an offensive team like this we'll never make it.

He better will them there.

Paul1355

All Star
Expect 45-50 wins this year and no less. Anything less is a failure and a slight to Mike D'antoni's genius.

He is pompous enough to think a career backup can run his system well, and the Knicks are not exactly talent barren. I fully expect a winning season.

We have players who can score. A team full of them. He is a offensive guru. A pompous one at that. So if we don't make the playoffs with an offensive team like this we'll never make it.

We are still neck deep in quick sand with the same high priced players. Don't expect a compete turn around in one year. We need to chew these contracts or make some big moves to be thinking about a turn around.

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer

I'm thinking we will win around 40 games this season too. D'antoni knows who he wants to play already, yeah its a shame jeffries is out because he was one of the players who he wanted on the floor, but the offense is no longer ran through curry and his half-court slowness. yeah boston is the team to beat (world champs) New Jersey did make some good draft picks, but i think we will take them down easily. Toronto and Philly are good teams, they both can put up big numbers, i think the knicks will finish 3rd in the division.

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
as much as i love the knicks, and d'antoni, i think this teams looking at 33 wins. just because the other teams are just plain better, the knicks just have a whole bunch of mediocre guys. for example marbury is our best talent, if he goes to the celtics hes their 4th best guy. even if he goes to the heat hes theyre 3rd or 4th best depending on how beasly plays. ill be very proud of the knicks if i just see them trying hard and not getting blown out as much as they did last year.

We are still neck deep in quick sand with the same high priced players. Don't expect a compete turn around in one year. We need to chew these contracts or make some big moves to be thinking about a turn around.

He said we're gonna make the playoffs in one of those interviews. Sounds like he expects a complete turnaround.

And realistically, they should be a playoff team. Highest payroll, a lot of guys who score, and a bunch of athletes. Plus a pompous offensive guru.

Anything short of a playoff appearance is a complete failure. And it will fall on D'antoni's shoulders. Point blank.

Paul1355

All Star
He said we're gonna make the playoffs in one of those interviews. Sounds like he expects a complete turnaround.

And realistically, they should be a playoff team. Highest payroll, a lot of guys who score, and a bunch of athletes. Plus a pompous offensive guru.

Anything short of a playoff appearance is a complete failure. And it will fall on D'antoni's shoulders. Point blank.

Knick4lyfe, I am optimistic, but saying we are a playoff team is pushing the optimism. When was the last time we made the playoffs with the highest payroll in basketball? Was it 04'? I can't even remember. My point is that yes we should be there, but to expect us to be a playoff team right away is being way to optimisic. lol you know what I am saying.

It is not a complete failure. Saying that means you expect too much. Look at what we have right now, what we have done with these players, then make the observation. The clear result is that having over 23 wins is a success for this team. Having over 23 wins with the team chemistry improving is a success. Getting less into debt is a success. If Walsh and Mike D continue to improve these issues, then the word "failure" should not be used.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
If D'Antoni starts Chris Duhon, I predict a 22-60 season.
If D'Antoni Starts Marbury, I predict a 34-48 season.

Knick4lyfe, I am optimistic, but saying we are a playoff team is pushing the optimism. When was the last time we made the playoffs with the highest payroll in basketball? Was it 04'? I can't even remember. My point is that yes we should be there, but to expect us to be a playoff team right away is being way to optimisic. lol you know what I am saying.

It is not a complete failure. Saying that means you expect too much. Look at what we have right now, what we have done with these players, then make the observation. The clear result is that having over 23 wins is a success for this team. Having over 23 wins with the team chemistry improving is a success. Getting less into debt is a success. If Walsh and Mike D continue to improve these issues, then the word "failure" should not be used.

If the coach says we are a playoff team, then I am not pushing the optimism. And Just because we have not made the playoffs in recent years, does not mean we should not be expected too. Last year this time we all expected playoffs, and maybe even second round appearance, because we had come up a little shy the year before last.

Talent wise we are a playoff team. Period. Now we have this supposed offensive mastermind who turns back ups into players. If he can't get Lee, Zach, Q, Chandler, Robinson, Crawford, Duhon, Curry, maybe Steph, mostly all offensive players to the playoffs, then maybe he is not all that he thinks he is as an offensive guru.

And that to me is a failure.

Kiyaman

Legend
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10..._lon_132195.htm

Basically he says Dr. D'Antoni has cured the "me first" disease that the Knicks suffered from during the Isiah/Marbury era.

Those who knows Vesey writing on the Knicks should wonder about the big 360 change of Vesey being optimistic of the Knicks.

However, Lawrence Frank interview was different.
Cont.

Kiyaman

Legend
Here we go again. The Blame Game starting already from Walsh & Dantoni.

Walsh & Dantoni are starting-out like Larry Brown.
The Bloodclog crying has started during Training Camp.
Why did they take the JOB?

Both Walsh & Dantoni was sitting on "pins & needles" of being Fired from their previous job, and bailed out quick to grab the 23 win Knicks job, inwhich they are not qualified or prepared to take on as prize decision makers.
The two had 4 months to prepare a 23 win team into a rebuilding-mode competitor team that will get along with each other through the process of the early regular season losses.
They did absolutely nothing to better a 23 win team in the offseason.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Quote:
<TABLE class=auto cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Opposed to buyouts, as he stated unequivocally 10 days ago, Walsh comes at it strictly from a business standpoint. For him, it's simply bad business not to try to trade a player to get talent in return.

As it pertains to Marbury, Walsh's stance runs counter to D'Antoni's thinking. The coach wanted Marbury off the team before he started his first training camp, based on his experiences with Marbury in Phoenix and the information he gleaned from talking to players about Marbury's notoriously adverse impact on the locker room. That much is clear when you raise the issue with people familiar with D'Antoni's thinking. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Why take the JOB!
If you dont have a one season plan for Marbury, then why take on the job.

There is not one owner in sports that will "buy-out" a one year $21 million dollar player.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
Quote:
<TABLE class=auto cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">"I don't know the dynamics of the locker room," D'Antoni said on the eve of camp. "I do know the locker room is very important. I know we do have a plan and I do know that everybody needs to be on that plan. Who is, is. Who isn't, isn't. I'm not making any threats or anything like that. But at the same time it has to count for something that you're a New York Knick." </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Both quotes are "COP-OUTS"!

Both Walsh & Dantoni knew the situation of this Knick organization the day before they accepted the JOB.
What was the two smoking to think owner Dolan was going to improve a buyout of Marbury contract?
The Clippers Dunleavy offered his close friend Walsh the money to buy-out Marbury.
The culture and the cleaning of this Knick organization would've started the opening day of Training Camp without Zach Randolph and Marbury if Walsh would have accepted the Clippers deal.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

You're crazy to think this team is a 50 win team and anything less is a failure. Just because we have a lot of offensive players and an offensive coach doesn't mean this TEAM can put together 50 wins. Obviously you don't know much about D'Antoni's system. It's also about passing and good shooting. We have mediocre shooters and a whole lot of poor (me-first/one-on-one) passers. Plus two lockerroom cancers. Regardless of the coach and system, we still have a poor match of talents. We will be lucky to have more than 35 wins. Trust me. Expect us to lead the league in turnovers and have a lot of ugly games because this match of players doesn't work well in D'Antoni's system. This match of players doesn't work well in anyone's system.

If D'Antoni starts Chris Duhon, I predict a 22-60 season.
If D'Antoni Starts Marbury, I predict a 34-48 season.

You're crazy to think Marbury is worth 12 more wins than Duhon. And only because he's a starter or not? What if he comes off the bench but plays starter's minutes, rotating between the PG and SG? Maybe Marbury's talents match better with the bench (Nate, Chandler, etc.) and not well with the starters (Crawford, Lee, Zach, Q Rich). What if all the players really do hate him and he's still a starter? Is he still worth 12 wins?

clumsy

Rotation player
i expect an exciting 30-35 win season from our squad. We should be better than the Nets. 76ers will destroy us this year if Brand doesn't get hurt. Same thing with the Raptors...barring injury of Calderon, and Jermaine. We can beat the celtics, if we pull a real life of that movie Celtic pride on Paul Pierce or KG.

Lock Playoff teams (no order)
Celtics
The Lebron James'
Magic
76ers
Raptors

I think everyone else will be fighting for the last 2.

I pick the Rockets out of the Western conference.

portega1968

El Cacique
we will win 45 games and make the playoffs

nate will be the 6th man of the year.

jerome james will average a double double and be comeback player of the year, jajajajaja

D'Antoni coach of the year.

more optimism? Stephon MVP, how bout that!!!

You're crazy to think this team is a 50 win team and anything less is a failure. Just because we have a lot of offensive players and an offensive coach doesn't mean this TEAM can put together 50 wins. Obviously you don't know much about D'Antoni's system. It's also about passing and good shooting. We have mediocre shooters and a whole lot of poor (me-first/one-on-one) passers. Plus two lockerroom cancers. Regardless of the coach and system, we still have a poor match of talents. We will be lucky to have more than 35 wins. Trust me. Expect us to lead the league in turnovers and have a lot of ugly games because this match of players doesn't work well in D'Antoni's system. This match of players doesn't work well in anyone's system.

Actually, I'm not crazy at all. What I said was, I expect the Knicks to win between 45-50 games and make the playoffs. Everyone expected this team to win 45-50 games last year with Zach in board after seeing what Curry and co did the year before.

Bottom line is this coach thinks he is the cure all, and HE SAID we're a playoff team. He knows how his system runs better than you and I both, and he said this, so why should I expect anything else when the pompous guru himself has assured a playoff berth?

All of what you say is irrelevant when the man himself said it will happen. I am just following suit with the pompous guru. If anyone is crazy here, it's him. Take umbrage with him.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Actually, I'm not crazy at all. What I said was, I expect the Knicks to win between 45-50 games and make the playoffs. Everyone expected this team to win 45-50 games last year with Zach in board after seeing what Curry and co did the year before.

Bottom line is this coach thinks he is the cure all, and HE SAID we're a playoff team. He knows how his system runs better than you and I both, and he said this, so why should I expect anything else when the pompous guru himself has assured a playoff berth?

All of what you say is irrelevant when the man himself said it will happen. I am just following suit with the pompous guru. If anyone is crazy here, it's him. Take umbrage with him.

You said "Anything short of a playoff appearance is a complete failure."

I predicted us not making the playoffs last year. I was one of the few. I knew Zach was going to be bad for us, because he didn't address any of the team's deficiencies.

I don't know where you get the "pompous guru" claims. I haven't heard D'Antoni say we are definitely going to make the playoffs this year. If you can find that quote, I'd like to see it. If anything, I've just heard him say it's going to take some time. But if he did say it, then I'm sure it was just a media response. Besides, what is he supposed to say when asked, what does he think this team will do this year? I don't think he would answer the media by saying we're going to suck this year and be at the bottom of the East again.

Last edited:

Scribbles

Rotation player
Not to be pessimistic, but bring out the scouts. LOL

A successful Knicks squad in my eyes is a team comfortable with the system that they're running and no outbreaks or controversies occur. If we can create enough chemistry and gel as a cohesive unit, then my hopes for the 09-10 Knicks team is to make a push for the Playoffs (aka 40 wins.)

If I can see progress this season and we are building around a certain entity then that'll be more than enough for me to support the Knicks like I did more than a decade ago.

All Knicks fans want is HOPE! What has turned away the fans from the Knicks is that things are no where near organized, and everything is unstable plus questionable transactions make us cringe.

So yea....maybe I really do like what Walsh is doing with the club. We need to build the foundation first before constructing the monument.