Randolph a changed man....Knicks build chemestry

Toons

is the Bo$$
dantoni is making me a bit optimistic about this season.
i also wondered why we never ran the pick n pop....zachs signature play from portland....i can see zach playing a boris diaw role at center....gettin the elbow shots from the free throw line like money

As much as Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni have said players such as Zach Randolph have a "clean slate" this season, it is Randolph who has wiped it clean for the new regime as well.

"It's a better atmosphere, a different atmosphere than last year," he said. "We're just focused on basketball. We're focused on winning games."

Last season, Randolph had issues with Isiah Thomas, who acquired him in a trade on draft night in June 2007. He once wondered aloud why Thomas even brought him to New York. Late in the season, when the wheels had officially fallen off, a bitter Randolph argued with teammates and even squirted water at Nate Robinson during a timeout.

During the offseason, Randolph knew he was among the unwanted as training camp approached. He heard from his agent about the trade talk and knows the Knicks would have preferred to jettison his $48-million contract, which has three hefty years left and compromises their plans in 2010.

Related links

Knicks preseason Knicks preseason Photos
Knicks Blog Knicks Blog
Blog: The Crawford Files with Jamal Crawford Blog: The Crawford Files with Jamal Crawford
Danilo Gallinari in pictures Photos
Knicks fan forum
Berger's NBA Blog
Mike D'Antoni in pictures Photos
Give us your best shot
Submit your New York Knicks photos
Your Knicks Photos

Submit your photos and view pics taken by other fans.

• Upload your photos!

But like another persona non grata, Stephon Marbury, he's here right now. And thus far Randolph is buying in, giving an honest effort in camp and following the direction of the man he respectfully refers to as "Coach D'Antoni."

"Whatever he wants me to do," said Randolph, 27, "that's what I'm going to do."

You would think D'Antoni and Randolph would get along great because they both believe in the same philosophy: shoot early and shoot often.

But the concern with Randolph, who averaged 17.6 points and 10.3 rebounds last season, is more about his ability - make that willingness - to run the floor. He and Eddy Curry together were a nightmare in transition defense, let alone in the half-court set.

But after a week of training camp, D'Antoni has seen not only some pleasantly surprising offensive options with Randolph but a pleasing amount of effort running the floor.

A new attitude? Maybe it's the result of whatever rubbed off on him after working out with Kevin Garnett, Andre Miller and others at UCLA during the summer.

"He's probably in better shape than what I thought he would be in because I didn't see him much in September," D'Antoni said. "But he did the whole camp, ran, and I'm happy about it."

And Randolph is happy about the idea of playing a great deal of pick-and-pop on the perimeter, which is something Thomas rarely utilized last season. The pin-downs D'Antoni likes to do with his bigs - starting at the top of the key and screening for a guard down low - also give him plenty of opportunities for one-on-ones on the post.

"They won't be able to double quick on me," Randolph said, "so I'll have a man on my back and I can play and make a quick move."

D'Antoni doesn't yet know what he can do with Curry, who missed the entire week of camp in Saratoga Springs with a bacterial infection, so Randolph's scoring ability in the frontcourt is critical for the Knicks, who are perimeter-laden.

Randolph started camp along with Marbury outside the apparent "Fav Five," but by the end of the week, he was working with the possible starting unit. It's a sign that Randolph is solidifying his place in D'Antoni's rotation.

"Hell, yeah," Randolph said. "Since I've been doing it and working and learning, I feel a lot better, instead of just hearing about it. I'm still learning. I don't know it all yet, but pretty soon I'm going to have it down."

Notes & quotes: Curry felt better over the weekend and his status for today's practice was upgraded to questionable ... If you're looking for more evidence that the Knicks have become far more media-friendly under Walsh and D'Antoni, tune in to NBAtv today at 11 a.m. to catch a live broadcast of the team's practice at the MSG Training Center. NBAtv does this regularly with teams but never asked the Knicks in the past

Last edited:

Trin_Starr

Starter
Toons - you are right. The pick n pop, pick n roll is one of the oldest plays in basketball but it is still one of the most effective.
Why Isiah never used it is beyond me - but then again he's an idiot so I can't put anything past him.

Marbury is one of the best guards at orchestrating the pick n roll and with Zach's shooting prowess for a big man - watch him get many easy open looks.

Paul1355

All Star
Toons - you are right. The pick n pop, pick n roll is one of the oldest plays in basketball but it is still one of the most effective.
Why Isiah never used it is beyond me - but then again he's an idiot so I can't put anything past him.

Marbury is one of the best guards at orchestrating the pick n roll and with Zach's shooting prowess for a big man - watch him get many easy open looks.

The pick n pop is were Frye excelled, after the Knicks stopped using that, his value declined. Same with Kurt Thomas.

moneyg

Starter
lets just be real about this.
:update::update::update::update::update::update:
the whole world wonders why isiah scrapped the pick and roll. he is not a good coach at all. great player. good talent evaluator. just bad coaching players.

Toons

is the Bo$$
isiah used the pick n roll....but never realised that randolph isnt fast enough to roll b4 the lane closes.....randolphs play is the pick n pop. text book...sorta like duncans overrated bank shot. Randolph was consistent with the elbow shots....isiah made zach run iso' plays....which is quite retarded

moneyg

Starter
to be technical.......

the pick and pop is created from the pick and roll. if the defender goes over the screen..... u roll. if the defender goes behind the screen..... u pop...

also is not about how quick u can get to the basket/hole. u have the option of pulling up for a short jumpshoton the roll .... or passing off to the wing when the defense collaspes for the 3pt shot or back door.

:smokin:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Marbury can average alotta assists this year with houston and randolph. Those 2 guys can score....

Id like to see randolph come through for us. Hes a talented player and a good rebounder. Maybe playing for D'antoni will make him less selfish and more of a team player. He kills us on defense though...

GetRealistic

Starter
Marbury can average alotta assists this year with houston and randolph. Those 2 guys can score....

Id like to see randolph come through for us. Hes a talented player and a good rebounder. Maybe playing for D'antoni will make him less selfish and more of a team player. He kills us on defense though...

Unfortunately were not talking about 1999 Allan Houston. I'm really rooting for the guy but i just don't see him making the team. Hes actually not even playing tonight due to injury. He's had major knee problems, and he's 37. Its just not going to happen. Now an assistant coach or some sort of front office job sounds like a nice plan to me.

Kiyaman

Legend
to be technical.......

the pick and pop is created from the pick and roll. if the defender goes over the screen..... u roll. if the defender goes behind the screen..... u pop...

also is not about how quick u can get to the basket/hole. u have the option of pulling up for a short jumpshoton the roll .... or passing off to the wing when the defense collaspes for the 3pt shot or back door.

:smokin:

Great point. :smokin:

The Knicks used this Pick n Pop and Roll alot under coach Chaney with PG-Charlie Ward on the left side and right side of the offensive court.
Ward & Kurt, Ward & Doleac, and Ward & KVH.
Marbury first games as a Knick under coach Chaney, I must admit that Marbury perfected the Pick n PoP and Roll with Doleac, KVH, and Kurt Thomas so well that in his 4th game as a Knick he recorded 14 assist, his 6th game he had 17 assists, and his 8th game Marbury had 14 assist again.
What happen to that Marbury?
Isiah Thomas started interupting coach Chaney practice by taking Marbury out of the team practice and Marbury & Isiah would have their own private practice session together, untill Isiah Fires coach Chaney for coach Wilkins.
We hav'nt seen the 14 or 17 assist Marbury in the last 4 years under Isiah tour with the Knicks.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Zach & Lee frontcourt tandem played good together, but there is something wrong with the Zach & Lee lineup on this team.
They dont have a reliable backcourt (Q,Rich, Crawful, and Duhorn are awful together).

The Marbury, Nate, and Duhorn trio backcourt seem to mix well with Lee, Malik, Chandler, and probably Curry, Jefferies, and Gallo when they are healthy to play.

I am going to be watching the "Team-chemistry" in these preseason games, and all the lineups that has Zach, or Q.Rich, or Crawful in it to see how well their Knick teammates mix with any of these 3 players performance.

I hate to say it, but in the last two games Marbury gets a B+ for team chemistry on the Knicks. Although coach Dantoni did not add any of the highlighted 3 players in a lineup with Marbury yet.

P.S. Do not remind me that I been pleading for these 3 players (Zach, Q.Rich, and Craw) to be traded before last season trading deadline. And I was pissed-off to see all three players in Training-Camp.

clumsy

Rotation player
Off the court chemistry is the most overrated thing in Sports History. I'd rather have a team that wins the championship then fight each other in the off season, the media, etc (See Shaq/Kobe Lakers) than a group of jovial losers. Like 1/4 of our team is made up of happy fat dudes. Not a winning combo

LJ4ptplay

Starter
We should bench everybody except Marbury. Let Marbury do his thing, 1 on 5, and we'll win a championship. Maybe have Houston come off the bench, but essentially have Marbury play 48 minutes a game.

Paul1355

All Star
We should bench everybody except Marbury. Let Marbury do his thing, 1 on 5, and we'll win a championship. Maybe have Houston come off the bench, but essentially have Marbury play 48 minutes a game.

We have done nothing with him playing with 4 other guys and u think he is good 1 vs 5 lololol i know u were joking but stop putting Marbury on a pedestal. He is the most talented player on this team, but hasn't carried this team since we made the playoffs.

He has something to prove.

I am optimistic about Marbury this season, I have said that since I joined this site back during the summer. With no injuries, he should have a good year, maybe a great year. But this is his last year.

TunerAddict

Starter
We have done nothing with him playing with 4 other guys and u think he is good 1 vs 5 lololol i know u were joking but stop putting Marbury on a pedestal. He is the most talented player on this team, but hasn't carried this team since we made the playoffs.

He has something to prove.

I am optimistic about Marbury this season, I have said that since I joined this site back during the summer. With no injuries, he should have a good year, maybe a great year. But this is his last year.

Dude....Did you not get that sarcasm?