Steph redeems himself:The Starbuary war officially ends today!

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10072008/sports/knicks/steph_oks_bench_role_132472.htm

Stephon Marbaury has offically turned over a new leaf, and Knick fans should embrace it. No one has ever doubted his talent, but its been his attitude that has been the concern of Knick fans. But in this interview Steph has shown that he is putting what is best for the team before what himself. I know non supporters have a lot of stock in their dislike of him, while I have been a supporter of his, I did dedicate a thread going at him for not wanting to accept a role off the bench. It appears now Steph is going to accept that role for the good of the team and just wants to do whatever to help us win. This sort of stance from Steph is a step in the right direction to getting us back to being a basketball team instead of a on going Soap Opera! Today ends the notion of a "Team Starbuary" too (unless you're just recongnizing him as your favorite player on the squad) because I think after this interview all Knick fans are/should think of themselves as total supporters of his like any other playerer on the team not named Jerome James....just playing about Jerome hell I hope he has a good season too!

Good Job Steph! And now lets just focus on winning some damn games!

Kiyaman

Legend
When it comes to this Knick Team and the quarterback PG-decision-making between Marbury or Crawford? I prefer Marbury & Nate or Marbury & Collins.
The way training-camp has been going I prefer Marbury & Duhorn as starters over poor passing skills and poor decision-making Jamal Crawford.

The Knicks need two guards in the starting lineup that have no fear at slashing threw the lane for a layup to put teams bigmen in early foul trouble.
Jamal Crawford has a problem with doing that.

Marbury do set himself on a higher pedestal than his teammates in his career..... could be the damn huge 5, 10, or $15 million pay-raise above all his teammates except for KG and Allan Houston.

Trin_Starr

Starter
The knicks were on NBA TV for real training camp and rick kamla was talking with Clyde and frazier was saying that even in Marbury's absolute worst year at a pro - he averaged 14pts and 5asts - which would be career years for either nate or duhon....
Now that's classic from the living legend!

metrocard

Legend
Real Knick fans would embrace Marbury's confidence before this statement.

He should said that to shut up complaining and whining hating Knick fans like NNY, because all they do is start drama and view everything as negative and wrong.

Marbury says he expects to be a starter, its get blown out of proportion and its seen as Marbury trying to take over the team.

Jameer Nelson says he wants to play a bigger role on the team, and no one says anything negative.

Its just the person. If Marbury was to say what Nelson said, Marbury's head would be wanted by every Isiahsexual and fakeass Knick fan.

New New York, you're weak like a man with quadriplegia. You were never part of the Starbury War...that shit goes back to classic and original posters on this site...the war isn't even that serious now, but it was something you never apart of.

Stop trying so hard to be e-cool, spending your whole day trying to post articles as fast as you can on this site and writing essays with no logic or original statements.

Call this an insult.
Cry.
Complain.
B*tch at me for another 3 essays or 4.

You won't bring anything new to the table here.

Marbury is here to stay.

All you guys who wanted him waive will now see him have his glory back in NYC.

He will get big minutes, starting or not.
Because he's the most skilled, experienced, successful and talented player on this roster.
Thats just the way it is and the way it will be.

Toons

is the Bo$$
in Marbury's absolute worst year at a pro - he averaged 14pts and 5asts - which would be career years for either nate or duhon....

so true

portega1968

El Cacique
Finally, homeboy is saying the right things... he finally seems to have stepped up to the next level and allowed himself to take this opportunity to erase 1o years of controversy and rebuild himself into a player that adds value to his team.

These words are the sign of a new era and I'M ****ING ESTATIC!!!

"I don't want to go through any more distractions," Marbury told The Post. "I want all of us to concentrate on winning and not if I'm going to start or not. I want us to be able to go forward. If the Knicks want me to come off the bench, that's what I'm going to do. I just want to win a championship in New York because we as New Yorkers deserve a chip."

"I don't feel Duhon should have to go through that," Marbury said last night. "I don't feel D'Antoni should have to go through that. I don't want to go through another year of distractions. I just want to kill it now."

In what appeared to be an apology to his mates who feel that way, Marbury said, "Jamal Crawford is right. No one person is better than the organization. I have faith in us playing better than the last two, three years."

Marbury, 31, in the best shape of his career, has been hurt by suggestions his teammates don't want him around. In fact, he has asked several of them during training camp if they had a problem with him. Marbury hasn't received any negative responses.

"I know how sweet it would be if we ever win a championship in New York, or even how sweet it would be going to the playoffs," he said. "I love New York with everything I've got."

BRING THE PLAYOFFS BACK TO NEW YORK!!!

Toons

is the Bo$$
great stuff steph.....
great stuff

this was my only problem with marbury....and even if he's lying, im eating every word

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Marbury

Marbury's recent comments should go a long way in dissipating, if not entirely eliminating, any of the lingering resentment of his team mates. If he is sincere, and there is no reason to believe he is not, he should be embraced by management as well as by the team. He has done everything one could possibly hope for in preparing for this year. He is the Knicks' best player. He should get plenty of playing time.
The only draw back is that he will probably cause us a few spots in the 2009 draft.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
in Marbury's absolute worst year at a pro - he averaged 14pts and 5asts - which would be career years for either nate or duhon....

so true
lol OWNED lol wow this shows well everyone basically already knew he was the best guard we had...but steph is thinking now...he knows saying not starting for boston was ok and not starting for the knicks wasent...and he took his words back...but i dont blame him for saying that lol...i mean they have pierce allen garnett...knicks only have.....................................but eh i still wanna see him playing getting 19 pts 7 assts and being more vocal with his teammates...i mean im not taking this 2 heart who knows he might have been in a good mood? lol just saying this is the man that said we would win a championship last year with Randolph...hes probably going 2 start dow he probably knows it 2...just saying at this point in my life the only person i really belive in the knicks is David Lee -_- lol

King Ewing

Banned
Isnt this the 3rd or 4th time we've heard Marbury say he's turning over a new leaf? Man just buy him out, please.

Forget stats, its all about winning guys. When Steve Nash signed with the Suns he turned the same team Marbury played with into a championship contender.

Marbury = zero playoff wins. That says it all. He's had his chance, I'm sick of losing get him out of here!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Real Knick fans would embrace Marbury's confidence before this statement.

He should said that to shut up complaining and whining hating Knick fans like NNY, because all they do is start drama and view everything as negative and wrong.

Marbury says he expects to be a starter, its get blown out of proportion and its seen as Marbury trying to take over the team.

Jameer Nelson says he wants to play a bigger role on the team, and no one says anything negative.

Its just the person. If Marbury was to say what Nelson said, Marbury's head would be wanted by every Isiahsexual and fakeass Knick fan.

New New York, you're weak like a man with quadriplegia. You were never part of the Starbury War...that shit goes back to classic and original posters on this site...the war isn't even that serious now, but it was something you never apart of.

Stop trying so hard to be e-cool, spending your whole day trying to post articles as fast as you can on this site and writing essays with no logic or original statements.

Call this an insult.
Cry.
Complain.
B*tch at me for another 3 essays or 4.

You won't bring anything new to the table here.

Marbury is here to stay.

All you guys who wanted him waive will now see him have his glory back in NYC.

He will get big minutes, starting or not.
Because he's the most skilled, experienced, successful and talented player on this roster.
Thats just the way it is and the way it will be.

How did I know you would have something negative to say...that's right you're totally predictable!

Metro you bore me I air you out everytime we face off, I'll pass on yet another opportunity!

Peace

moneyg

Starter
i guess id like to c what question does the media have left for marbury. if he ok with commin off the bench whats next????

fine job of sendin the media back to the drawing board to figure out another way to get him to say something stupid.

if marbury has success this season . it will look like the blame falls on isiah and dolan for hiring him.

smart tactic.. gotta give the coney island kid some credit here.

:smokin:

Blumatic

Rotation player
I think with this statement by Steph, he may have his best year. When you put team first it just makes you better. I think when he starts coming off the bench he may be humble and he may prove that he is a starter and will eventually takeover Duhon's job.

I happy Steph said this and I am looking forward to his performance this season. Go head Steph.

portega1968

El Cacique
I don't want him thinking about taking over Duhon's job... that's not giving Chris a fair shot, like Marbury said he deserves. That shouldn't be Marbury's focus at any moment this season.

I think Marbury will kick ass as the first scoring guard off the bench. He'll get more than 30 minutes anyways and i think opposing defenses will have more of a hard time stopping him in this role.

Just think a minute people... if Coach focuses on Duhon and Mardy as the floor generals with JC and Marbury as the scorers and Nate playing combo at both spots... our backcourt is very deeeeeep in guard skills. Duhon and Stephon together should function nicely if we also have Nate or JC in there. Mardy will probably see the least minutes here, but the other four would together present a formidable group.

Marbury without doubt is our most talented player but I think the rotation will be more deadly if he's coming in the game to push in the dagger.

NYC2BGI

Rookie
The knicks were on NBA TV for real training camp and rick kamla was talking with Clyde and frazier was saying that even in Marbury's absolute worst year at a pro - he averaged 14pts and 5asts - which would be career years for either nate or duhon....
Now that's classic from the living legend!
That is right and Clyde knows basketball!

Starks

Starter
MIKE D's response:

?Yeah, it?s great,? he said. ?Wow. For ya?ll, that?s big news. To me, that?s like, well, that?s how everybody should act. Isn?t that how you do it? Don?t you build a team? Does it matter who gets the credit and who doesn?t? This is the New York Knicks. I would think the New York Knicks is bigger than me and anybody else. And it is that way. I?m really proud he did that, but it shouldn?t be newsworthy. To do the right thing should never make the news.?

An extremely telling statement by the coach.

New New York

Quiet Storm
MIKE D's response:

?Yeah, it?s great,? he said. ?Wow. For ya?ll, that?s big news. To me, that?s like, well, that?s how everybody should act. Isn?t that how you do it? Don?t you build a team? Does it matter who gets the credit and who doesn?t? This is the New York Knicks. I would think the New York Knicks is bigger than me and anybody else. And it is that way. I?m really proud he did that, but it shouldn?t be newsworthy. To do the right thing should never make the news.?

An extremely telling statement by the coach.

At first I thought you were joking until I read it! Wow, I mean Mike is absolutley right, but, players should come to camp in shape but you still do note it when they do ready to play right? But I guess it is too much to expect a coach to do back flips because a player accepts the role he has for him.

I still think that fans should respect Steph's new stance, because his attitude had been the trip up with him and he has grown up from that negative attitude.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/sports/basketball/08knicks.html

Duhon however did think Steph's comments were noteworthy.

naterob4

Benchwarmer
hell yah props to steph. Metro's right everything steph does gets played up way to much. i guess starting duhon could be a positive. he distributes and should keep us on a good pace. everyone already knows steph will be the first one in for jamal or chris. we've heard hes in the best shape of his life, so i expect to see the slashing and scoring type of old. Once duhon starts missing shots steph will be back to 35 minutes a game. i think between our four guards we should be alright. jamal and steph can go off any time. nate will kill our uptempo style and duhon just might be the key to getting others involved...dont forget we got randolph taking 20 shots a night so duhon will definetly have a role of dishing to the post all night long. anyways havent posted for a long time but have been reading up. cant wait for this year and should be much better then the recent past. NYK for life you already know.

New New York

Quiet Storm
hell yah props to steph. Metro's right everything steph does gets played up way to much. i guess starting duhon could be a positive. he distributes and should keep us on a good pace. everyone already knows steph will be the first one in for jamal or chris. we've heard hes in the best shape of his life, so i expect to see the slashing and scoring type of old. Once duhon starts missing shots steph will be back to 35 minutes a game. i think between our four guards we should be alright. jamal and steph can go off any time. nate will kill our uptempo style and duhon just might be the key to getting others involved...dont forget we got randolph taking 20 shots a night so duhon will definetly have a role of dishing to the post all night long. anyways havent posted for a long time but have been reading up. cant wait for this year and should be much better then the recent past. NYK for life you already know.

Now it has been said by fans of Steph and even recognized by non supporters that Steph has been the leader of this team (when healthy). Even when Curry was leading scorer Steph was considered the leader, Lee is the most popular, but again Steph's proven talent in The League has dubbed him the leader of this team and rightfully so maybe. However what comes with that is people being hung on your every word. If Eli were to speak out against the Giants or was to give full support of a new coach or a troubled teamate, it will be news, the same with Jeter on The Yanks etc. So when Steph makes a comment about not coming off the bench it is a story and likewise when he goes on record for embracing a bench role then it is major story too! That is what comes with being the voice of the team. When a Zach was traded from Portland to NY which player response was most noted? When a coaching change is made who is the first player we have heard from?

No one is "playing up his comments", just giving it the attention that the words of the team's most talented player does get in any other sport.