Philadelphia 76ers vs New York Knicks PreSeason Game Thread Oct. 14

Who should play down low with Lee? (No homo)

• Zach Randolph

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Eddy Curry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jerome James

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Jared Jeffries

• Danilo Gallinari

• I dont know/none of the above

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul1355

All Star
Marbury or Nate
Crawford or Marbury
Chandler
Randolph
Lee

thats should be our lineup.....The PG and SG spots are up for grabs at this point. The 3,4 and 5 are not arguable.

TunerAddict

Starter
My notes from the game:

Chris Duhon- not such a hot game from him tonight, he scored a few times but he has to be smarter with the ball.

Zach Randolph- Don't hear all the Z-Bo haters now...I told you I liked this guy and tonight he looked good. He rebounds, he scores, 'nuff said.

Eddy Curry- Abysmal. Looked slow, announcers commented and I noticed the guy didn't want the ball. Though I will say this, I think he brings a nice presence underneath in a small lineup (one we went with early on) that was Duhon, Steph, Nate, Chandler, Curry.

Stephon- Quietly got 5 assists, but didn't score. I didn't really notice him on the floor, which is both a bad and good thing. I'd like to see him get fed the ball more for open shots, but the fact that he's not playing selfishly speaks volumes.

Wilson Chandler- Wow, this guy should be our starting SF if Daniboy isn't working out. His shot is nice, and he's quite an athlete.

David Lee- Works hard, took wayyy too many shots early on, I'd like to see him drill more of the open ones. In the end though he had a good game, rebounded well, scored inside well and ran in transition very well.

Q-Rich- I want this guy to be good so badly. I know he can shoot, you just don't lose a shot like that over night. Tonight, he didn't look comfortable from three, never really got in a rhythym, but if D'Antoni can get out of Q-Rich here what he got in PHX Q is in for a good season, even as a 6th man.

Mardy Collins- This guy wants a spot bad, and he deserves it after tonight. He played his heart out. He knew, it seems, that he wouldn't get many opportunities to show what he's got, but I like him.

Nasty Nate- Enough with the Techs, Nate. I thought it was on D'Antoni but it was charged to Robinson. He's an athlete of simply freakish ability, and his ability to run the floor is going to be incredibly useful in this offense, he just has to learn when to keep his mouth shut.

Jamal- He gets a lot of hate on this board too, but from what I noticed he had a decent enough night. I think he'll thrive in this system.

Malik Rose- Next.

Overall I thought the team looked good, and when they got to running the 76ers were out matched by a lot. Issue is they didn't get much running going. I really think, and many on this board will probably blast me for it, the our starting PG should not be Duhon, should not be Steph, but based on what I saw Nate Robinson should be running the floor. The offense was much faster when he was on the court, and they succeeded very well with him. I think Nate fits what D'Antoni wants out of his PG, and that's just running other teams out of the building. I would not be opposed to this starting lineup:

1- Robinson
2- Crawford (or maybe Marbury?)
3- Chandler
4- Z-Bo
5- D-Lee

It's fast, and it's not big but Zach and Lee can both rebound, and esp. with D-Lee rebounding, Nate should be so quick on outlets, and Lee being so good at turning the defensive board into an outlet pass, I really think this offense would work the best.

I agree with Nate running the team and being the floor general.

Duhon isn't a uptempo guy, he is more of a half court offense type. So is Mardy. Steph is more diverse, but Nate seems tailor made for this type of offense.

Trin_Starr

Starter
This was a nice game - but damn we need to play some frickin D man! I liked how Steph played. 6 asts and no turnovers in 20mins with a +14 efficiency rating according to yahoo sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AvRJmo90hUFa.mOtKb.Yl_XazYd4?gid=2008101418

He was quite a floor general last night - not pushing the action, and just easily setting up players for wide open 3's...I have no idea why D'Antoni didn't play him in the 4th but I know it would have been a different story.

Nate was great - he role is definitely 6th man - instant offense off the bench.

If I had to go with a knicks winning lineup it would be

PG: Marbury
SG: Crawford
SF: Chandler
PF: Z-bo
C: D Lee

Kiyaman

Legend
Point blank, Eddy Curry should not be awarded any playingtime during the preseason games like Gallinari. I'm sure that any scrimmage game in practice proves this.
Plus to put Curry into the Marbury, Nate, and Chandler lineup when this 2nd unit lineup were chopping away the (8 point) lead the Knicks starters gave Philly to a 4 point lead, and then Dantoni inserts Curry into their lineup was cruel and unruly punishment towards the 2nd unit of Marbury, Nate, and Chandler who were looking for a running teammate while they push the ball.

Putting Curry into the game was something I would expect from coach Isiah Thomas. Especially when you have the fastest players that can push the ball up the court on the floor with fresh legs ready to run n gun the last 5 minutes of the first quarter.

It seems to me that Eddy Curry dont want to be on this Knick Team where he gets no luv from his homeboy Crawful and 20/10 Zach Randolph. Inwhich Dantoni must fear to put Curry into a lineup with either Crawford, Q.Rich, and Zach on the court.

Why was Mardy Collins yanked out of the game after scoring 10 straight points on 5-5 shooting in the 4th quarter? he was just getting into his game, plus after each time he scored he increased his effort on defense. Collins made coach Cheeks call a timeout.

The Zach & Lee bigman frontcourt is well and decent in the preseason games however, to have Lee in the game every second that Zach is on the court is getting old and played out in just the 3rd pre-game, when Lee should spend more playingtime in an uptempo run n gun small lineup of Nate, Marbury, Chandler, and Malik pushing the ball up court with fiesty speed.

GetRealistic

Starter
I was starting to like the Marbury, Nate, Duhorn, Chandler, and Lee, 2nd unit lineup. Why? Why? Why did Dantoni add Curry to that Lineup?
Curry supposed to be in training untill Oct 29.
Dantoni should know Curry is not ready for scrimmage games now.
Plus none of Curry teammates on court is digging him being out there with them.

Because the only way to get him into game shape is to put him in a game.... And its the preseason so it doesn't matter if we win or lose. Looked bad but considerin he's had a bacterial infection and barely practiced i expected even worse.

All the D'Antoni doubters should be impressed with the way he hasn't just handed Eddy minutes. Unless Eddy reverts back to 2 years ago i really see him playing 15 min. a night tops.

GetRealistic

Starter
Point blank, Eddy Curry should not be awarded any playingtime during the preseason games like Gallinari. I'm sure that any scrimmage game in practice proves this.
Plus to put Curry into the Marbury, Nate, and Chandler lineup when this 2nd unit lineup were chopping away the (8 point) lead the Knicks starters gave Philly to a 4 point lead, and then Dantoni inserts Curry into their lineup was cruel and unruly punishment towards the 2nd unit of Marbury, Nate, and Chandler who were looking for a running teammate while they push the ball.

Putting Curry into the game was something I would expect from coach Isiah Thomas. Especially when you have the fastest players that can push the ball up the court on the floor with fresh legs ready to run n gun the last 5 minutes of the first quarter.

It seems to me that Eddy Curry dont want to be on this Knick Team where he gets no luv from his homeboy Crawful and 20/10 Zach Randolph. Inwhich Dantoni must fear to put Curry into a lineup with either Crawford, Q.Rich, and Zach on the court.

Why was Mardy Collins yanked out of the game after scoring 10 straight points on 5-5 shooting in the 4th quarter? he was just getting into his game, plus after each time he scored he increased his effort on defense. Collins made coach Cheeks call a timeout.

The Zach & Lee bigman frontcourt is well and decent in the preseason games however, to have Lee in the game every second that Zach is on the court is getting old and played out in just the 3rd pre-game, when Lee should spend more playingtime in an uptempo run n gun small lineup of Nate, Marbury, Chandler, and Malik pushing the ball up court with fiesty speed.

Kiya its the PRESEASON... It doesn't count. Thats why he is tinkering with the lineup and giving guys some minutes. If it was a regular season game obviously Curry wouldn't have played, or he woulda went with the lineup that was working, but since the game is meaningless he tried to get guys some burn in live NBA action. I don't see the problem with that. I actually woulda liked to see Ewing Jr. and Roberson atleast get a minute or two since the games don't matter.

And Kiya if Gallo was physically able to play i guarantee he woulda got minutes.

The preseason has some meaning as far as getting guys in shape and just building chemistry, but winning and losing don't matter. Considering the Sixers absolutely blew us out three times last season the fact we split with them and played competitively both times should be a good sign.

Last edited:

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
i think the starting line up should be

PG- Duhon
SG- Marbury
SF- Chandler
PF-Randolph
C- LEE

PS. when danillo becomes healthy then he gets the SF spot

portega1968

El Cacique
from NYPost: "He had six assists, but seemed more passive than he was in the first two games."

more: "I'm a starter, period. It's not my choice to be coming off the bench. It's the coach's choice."

I should kick myself in the ass for believing in this guy again and again despite how many times he's dissapointed me. What he said last week gave me hope that he will come with the right attitude. But it's obvious he's as egocentric and narcissistic as they come and that aint gonna change.

Seriously, if he's gonna undermine what Coach is trying to do, send him home. How many chances is he gonna get?

GetRealistic

Starter
from NYPost: "He had six assists, but seemed more passive than he was in the first two games."

more: "I'm a starter, period. It's not my choice to be coming off the bench. It's the coach's choice."

I should kick myself in the ass for believing in this guy again and again despite how many times he's dissapointed me. What he said last week gave me hope that he will come with the right attitude. But it's obvious he's as egocentric and narcissistic as they come and that aint gonna change.

Seriously, if he's gonna undermine what Coach is trying to do, send him home. How many chances is he gonna get?

Shocking!!! Who woulda guessed Marburys new attitude woulda only lasted a week. Come on guys you all really have to stop giving him 300 chances he hasn't earned them.

We all should feel awful for a guy who left the team last season and now is asked to come off the bench because his teammates hate him. And the kicker is hes getting 21 million to come off the bench.

Just keep your mouth shut and collect your paycheck Marbury. You earn start minutes by playing well not complaining.

stephonmarbury8

Benchwarmer
read the whole fricken article not just one quote. i dont understand how everybody can sit there and start duhon he just simply isnt at marbury's level. hes alright, but he just cant do alot of the stuff steph can. plain and simple, simple and plain.

Trin_Starr

Starter
I agree - read the whole article so shit doesn't get take out of context.

"I always want to start," he said. "I'm a starter period. That's just what it is. It's not my choice to be in this situation. It's the coach's choice. It's his team and you've got to do what he says to do."

Marbury was responding to a question about whether his goal is to start. He was speaking to a large group of reporters following the Knicks' 116-109 preseason loss to the Sixers at the Garden. Marbury, a starter for his entire career, has been used as a reserve in all three preseason games and will stay in that role unless he is traded or released.

"I don't have no choice," he said. "That's my role. I have to assert myself to playing that role and that position. I just want to win. I want to win a championship in New York."

portega1968

El Cacique
read the whole fricken article not just one quote. i dont understand how everybody can sit there and start duhon he just simply isnt at marbury's level. hes alright, but he just cant do alot of the stuff steph can. plain and simple, simple and plain.

I'm so sorry for hurting your feelings.

How did you know I only read one quote? How did you know I didn't read the whole article? I must confess, you got me there!!! I admit it... when I open up a frikin news story, I only scan it to go straight to the sentences where they talk bad about Stephon and don't even bother reading everything else... cause you know, I'm a hater.

I hate him, I hate the team (it's obvous everytime I criticize our defense)... hell, I hate my own kids because Ive been known to tell them the truth even if it hurts. I also hate my wife 'cause I told her that dress she put on last week is ugly.

I'm also blind, because I've failed to see Marbury is better than Duhon (disregard the many times I've written that Stephon is the most talented player on our team).

portega1968

El Cacique
I agree - read the whole article so shit doesn't get take out of context.

I'm not taking anything out of context. I just want him to walk the line so that he doesn't stir up controversy. Some words he said were right, but the ones I quoted shows he's still thinking more of himself than the team.

Compare that to the fat fuk we have in the middle who I honestly believe should have his mouth wired shut so he won't eat anymore. Unlike Stephon, he didnt come ready to camp. But when he talks, you can see that he's willing to walk the line but Stephon you can read between the lines that he's gonna resort to whatever it takes to serve himself first and then the team second.

Stephon needs to be smarter and not let the frikin press bait him into saying this shit. Reminds me of an old saying that translated in English goes "If what you're gonna say is not as beautiful as the sound of silence, then don't say it".

That's all I want homey... for him not to talk about starting even though he believes in his heart that he should because doing so just ****s up this team's chemistry. You know he aint telling D'Anotni nor Walsh this stuff but he does go to the press with it because it is his way of getting what he wants.

Starks

Starter
It goes like this

Mike D is an NBA coach.

He gets paid millions based on his creditials. If Mike D picks a starting line up, deal with it.

When you have half the credentials an NBA Coach has or a basketball broadcaster, player, or columinist; then and only then can your views be taken seriously.

What do you all do for a living? If your not involved in Basketball, then do yourself a favor and stop trying to prove people wrong. Feel free to have your opinions, thats all any of us are entitled to. But none of us have any right to say anyone here is wrong. Thats all it comes down to.

Any of us make a living trying to prove people that your views are worth more than real Coaches and players? NO. Walk in to Penn Plaza with your resume and internet postings and show it to an NBA team, if they don't hire you its for a reason.

Mike D knows what hes doing. If you can do a better job, then why the fuk do we spend our lives on an internet message board instead of trying to get a job in a field where we are all experts in?

None of our opinions are worth dick. So we need to all just stop it already and grow the fuk up... The Knicks starting lineup doesn't fee your kids, so just chill out and let proffesionals do their job.

Last edited:

Starks

Starter
It goes like this

Mike D is an NBA coach.

He gets paid millions based on his creditials. If Mike D picks a starting line up, deal with it.

When you have half the credentials an NBA Coach has or a basketball broadcaster, player, or columinist; then and only then can your views be taken seriously.

What do you all do for a living? If your not involved in Basketball, then do yourself a favor and stop trying to prove people wrong. Feel free to have your opinions, thats all any of us are entitled to. But none of us have any right to say anyone here is wrong. Thats all it comes down to.

Any of us make a living trying to prove people that your views are worth more than real Coaches and players? NO. Walk in to Penn Plaza with your resume and internet postings and show it to an NBA team, if they don't hire you its for a reason.

Mike D knows what hes doing. If you can do a better job, then why the fuk do we spend our lives on an internet message board instead of trying to get a job in a field where we are all experts in?

None of our opinions are worth dick. So we need to all just stop it already and grow the fuk up... The Knicks starting lineup doesn't fee your kids, so just chill out and let proffesionals do their job.

Damn, i was being cruel. Don't take this shit personally brethren

stephonmarbury8

Benchwarmer
i only assumed you didnt read the whole article because you said it was the same old marbury, but if you read what he was responding to, and the quotes before and after that one, its not really him being selfish. i love how this is for knicks fan, and i write one thing and you wanna sit here and mock me, last time i checked were on the ship together brother.

Trin_Starr

Starter
It goes like this

Mike D is an NBA coach.

but it was funny nevertheless! lol :)

New New York

Quiet Storm
It goes like this

Mike D is an NBA coach.

But arent we on here to post our opinions about the team? I fully support the move of the coach on the grounds of him being an accomplished coach. But, this site is a place for fans to state their opinons be it for or against it. Not to mention the reason Mike can get paid millions is because we the fans support the team faithfully. Without our support there isnt millions to give him, so with that said shouldnt we be allowed to sound off. Again I like Mike Dantoni and I really respect that he is going to do whatever that gives us the best chance at winning, but, that doesnt mean that other fans are automatically supposed to take that stance. Fan opinons are just the nature of the beast in any sport, so I think we have every right to sound off.

Now with all that said the argument about Steph and Duhon has gotten really old fast, but again, as fans we do have a right to have an opinion about any move of this franchise.

But I do see where you're coming from.