Early observation on Preseason

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiyaman analyzes his shit well.

All I want to ask everyone in this forum is that I watched the Knicks first 2 games a couple of times through my cable recorder.

What I witness was 6 Knick Players "Marbury, Nate, Chandler, Malik, Lee, and 6th man Duhorn", when put in a 5-man lineup together excelled. I'm talking about any of the 5-players out of the 6 actually out played Toronto Bigmen and & 76ers bigmen in running down court to score before these bigmen could establish themselves on defense.

My question is should coach Dantoni work with this 6-man lineup in being more creative and playing them together for 18 to 24 mpg during the preseason? while expermenting with the rest of the players on the roster for the other 24 minutes left?
Or is the 30 mpg of Zach & Lee this preseason more important, even if it leads to nothing but loses at the end?

metrocard

Legend
D'Antoni should definately experiment more, but at the same time if you look up and down at the roster, we don't have much to experiment with.

NBDL quality players
Robertson
Rose
Collins
Jefferies
James

C level quality
Richardson
Crawford
Curry
Robinson
Duhon

B level quality
Lee
Chandler
Randolph
Marbury

???
Gallinari

With that, we don't have a lot to stick with. Marbury won't be part of the future, and Walsh has shown interest in dealing Randolph. That leaves us with Lee and Chandler. Everything else is a downgrade.

We need to upgrade in quality in order to the competitiveness of the team.

The only C level player on this roster I'm interested in keeping is Robinson. He's a dedicated athlete and solid shooter who's motivated to improve in his weaknesses. He's only 24 also and I'm taller than him, which makes everything sweet.

Everything else can leave because they serve no purpose on the team except just chilling and talking caca on the bench. Rich, Jefferies, Crawford, Curry, Duhon won't really get any better and are too one dimensional or no dimensional for that matter to contribute to an effective winning team.

Dropping them for more effective C level players like Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, Francisco Garcia; more well rounded players who can contribute to this system because they're so skilled and multi dimensional would be beneficial to building a strong team once we sign a superstar A quality player like Lebron or Wade.

richtree

Rotation player
hey , ABCD ....

Q rich was hurt last year, almost every game the whole season, and still played and battled tuff everynight to help the team., thats all you can ask for, he can play on my team any night...

and by the looks of his dunk last game,,,he seems to be heallthy and will shoot a better % if that makes you feel betta

tree

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks Dethrone Champs in Impressive Fashion

Oct. 17, 2008 The New York Knicks made a strong statement Friday night, defeating the defending NBA champion Boston Celtics on their own home court, 104-97, in preseason action.

Just as important as winning the game was how the Knicks won it. New York led Boston by as many as 12 points in the third quarter, dominating the Celtics? ?Big Three? of Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce before they were removed as both teams benched their starters in the fourth quarter.

While the preseason game didn?t count in any standings, the Celtics entered Friday night with an impressive 4-1 record in tuneup games, and they played much of the night as if it was a regular season match. New York was up for the task, however, improving to 2-2 in the preseason under new head coach Mike D?Antoni.

Leading the charge was Nate Robinson, who finished with a team-high 19 points, as well as Chris Duhon and Wilson Chandler, who both propelled the team in the pivotal third quarter when the Knicks claimed the lead.

Behind the stellar play of Duhon and Chandler, New York outscored Boston 28-20 after finishing a first half that featured 15 lead changes tied at 56 apiece.

chandlergenericblue.jpg

Wilson Chandler continued to impress, especially on the glass and defensive end where he had a game-high in rebounds (9) and blocks (3).
NBAE/ Getty Images

Duhon led the team with eight points in the frame, and he also took command on the court, directing the team?s offense while playing stalwart defense.

Overall, Duhon continued to show why he was such an important off-season acquisition for the Knicks, finishing the game with 10 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals. Equally impressive, he didn?t commit a single turnover in 25 minutes of play.

Chandler, meanwhile, scored three points, grabbed two boards, rejected two shots and added an assist for good measure in 5:28 of playing time in the third. The second-year pro out of DePaul also frustrated Garnett throughout the quarter, especially on a ferocious block in the paint where he swatted the ball back into the former MVP?s face.

Chandler, who has earned the praise of his coaches and teammates finished the game with five points, a game-high nine boards, three blocks, two assists and two steals in 26 minutes.

?I watched him a lot last year,? said Duhon, and working out with him in the summer, I knew he was going to be a big asset for us. We?re excited about him. He?s very instinctive on the defensive end, and he?s been working on his shot so he will be even better on the offensive end.?

In addition to his team-high 19 points, Robinson finished with a solid stat line as well, recording five boards, two steals, and one assist. Along with Stephon Marbury, who finished with 12 points, they provided energy off the bench to ignite New York after a sluggish start to the game.

?We started out a little slow,? said Duhon. ?The first six minutes, we didn?t compete at all. Then, Steph and Nate came in off the bench, gave us a big lift and we took off from there.?

Knicks fans got another treat on Friday Patrick Ewing Jr. made his pro debut two minutes into the fourth quarter with outstanding results.

The son of the legendary Knicks Hall of Famer finished the game with four points, four boards and one steal. Ewing also brought the crowd, and the Knicks bench, to its feet with a scintillating putback dunk, showing off his tremendousathleticism by elevating over the 6-foot-9, 290-pound Glen ?Big Baby? Davis.

Equally impressive, he made a nifty steal to seal the game in the final moments as the Celtics made a furious comeback late in the game,
Overall, the Knicks continued to show improvement in areas considered a weakness last season.

One key factor in Friday?s victory was the team?s ability to draw fouls, and then convert from the line -- two areas in which the Knicks struggled mightily last year. On Friday in Boston, New York was successful in both areas, outscoring the Celtics 34 -12 at the charity stripe on 79.1 percent shooting.

They also continued to improve defensively, putting the clamps on Boston?s big three by limiting Pierce to 15 points, Garnett to 11 and Allen to just 10.

New York now has two days off before the Knicks head down the turnpike to face Vince Carter and the New Jersey Nets on Monday night at the Izod Center.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
hey , ABCD ....

Q rich was hurt last year, almost every game the whole season, and still played and battled tuff everynight to help the team., thats all you can ask for, he can play on my team any night...

and by the looks of his dunk last game,,,he seems to be heallthy and will shoot a better % if that makes you feel betta

tree
I've watched Quentin Richardson play for a long time, and he sucks. He's very overrated. His career field goal percentage on the Knicks is 37%, and for his NBA career is 39%. His jumpshot is horrible, and his conditioning isn't much better. Richardson could be a factor, off the bench, if he focuses more on passing, rebounding, and defending, and less on shooting. But all he does is shoot bricks, so he sucks.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I've watched Quentin Richardson play for a long time, and he sucks. He's very overrated. His career field goal percentage on the Knicks is 37%, and for his NBA career is 39%. His jumpshot is horrible, and his conditioning isn't much better. Richardson could be a factor, off the bench, if he focuses more on passing, rebounding, and defending, and less on shooting. But all he does is shoot bricks, so he sucks.

I agree. Richardson is useless. Even crawford is more efficient then him. Why is he still on the team? He should be bought out.

Kiyaman

Legend
hey , ABCD ....

tree

Q.Richardson has always been an average (MLE) player since his days with the Clippers. He made PG-Andre Miller have the worst NBA season in his career.
Average player Maggette beat out Q.Rich in both positions (SG/SF) on the Clippers. There was no way the Clippers were going to resign Q.Richardson, and they made that clear to him by not offering him an extension the year before he went FA.
The Suns Colangle who been giving all these so-call Star-players ridiculous overpaid contracts needed to be shot before they FIRED him for signing Q.Richardson anything over the max MLE.
When Phoenix went all out to signed SF-Jim Jackson who refuse to go to the team he was traded to in November of 2004, that should have warned everyone on how much coach Dantoni liked Q.Richardson in his starting lineup. Plus when Q.Richardson was traded on draft night with a first round draft pick after just one season with Phoenix said, "Warning! Danger! Handle with care" written all over that trade.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm waiting....
What I been waiting for was someone to bring up the Knicks did not perform at a "seven-second" uptempo pace throughout the game with Boston, accept when Marbury was on the court pushing the ball with Nate & Chandler, which was only 13 minutes. But that 13 minutes is what got the Knicks a decent 12 point lead in the 3rd and 4th quarter to hold onto by playing a strict DEFENSE in holding that lead to win the game.

Should Dantoni work on building up the "Trio" of players that were known in college for their defensive skillz to the NBA level of defense after watching them for 9 straight minutes against Boston 3rd string players (Collins, Chandler, and Ewing Jr.)?
I know the three together offense was horrible vs Boston 3rd string players but their defense and running back on defense plus defending the peremeter from Eddie House outstanding shooting in the preseason games was on par in holding the Knicks lead down the stretch. Plus they had Curry & Roberson in their lineup which should count for something.

TunerAddict

Starter
I'm waiting....
What I been waiting for was someone to bring up the Knicks did not perform at a "seven-second" uptempo pace throughout the game with Boston, accept when Marbury was on the court pushing the ball with Nate & Chandler, which was only 13 minutes. But that 13 minutes is what got the Knicks a decent 12 point lead in the 3rd and 4th quarter to hold onto by playing a strict DEFENSE in holding that lead to win the game.

Should Dantoni work on building up the "Trio" of players that were known in college for their defensive skillz to the NBA level of defense after watching them for 9 straight minutes against Boston 3rd string players (Collins, Chandler, and Ewing Jr.)?
I know the three together offense was horrible vs Boston 3rd string players but their defense and running back on defense plus defending the peremeter from Eddie House outstanding shooting in the preseason games was on par in holding the Knicks lead down the stretch. Plus they had Curry & Roberson in their lineup which should count for something.

Yeah, I noticed that they really were more playing Boston's type of game in the half court, running the clock down, but it is just more impressive when they play Boston's game and beat them.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I'm waiting....

I agree. D'Antoni needs to stop playing Chris "Duhorne" and Q-Hitch. Starbury, Nate, Chandler, and Ewing need more minutes. The Knicks have remained competitive in the preseason, despite Chris Duhorne and Q-Ball's poor play, but it won't work in the regular season.

Q-Hitch's preseason stats:
6.3 points, 33% fg, 15.8% 3 pt

Dirk

Benchwarmer
Nate roberson is beast best dunkage all time and he is like oompla lommpa from will wonker and the choclate factories

dre48ny

Rotation player
I agree. D'Antoni needs to stop playing Chris "Duhorne" and Q-Hitch. Starbury, Nate, Chandler, and Ewing need more minutes. The Knicks have remained competitive in the preseason, despite Chris Duhorne and Q-Ball's poor play, but it won't work in the regular season.

Q-Hitch's preseason stats:
6.3 points, 33% fg, 15.8% 3 pt

Yeah man!! I understand Q played well for D'Antoni in Phoenix, but he should come off the bench!! We all know that's Chandler's spot. If Marbury comes off the bench, why can't this scrub come off the bench.

Paul1355

All Star
Yeah man!! I understand Q played well for D'Antoni in Phoenix, but he should come off the bench!! We all know that's Chandler's spot. If Marbury comes off the bench, why can't this scrub come off the bench.

You have a point. it's as if Mike D is contradicting himself by leaving Steph on the bench who can average 15 ppg with some assist...while making Q Rich a starter who has averaged 8 ppg as a starter lol.

Doesnt make sense. He might see Q as a leader type role that he use to be. But a leader can inspire his players on the bench and give them tips instead of playing and making us lose; Like Allan Houston is currently doing. Chandler has all the tools in every category from offense to defense, etc and he needs minutes.

You have a point. it's as if Mike D is contradicting himself by leaving Steph on the bench who can average 15 ppg with some assist...while making Q Rich a starter who has averaged 8 ppg as a starter lol.

Doesnt make sense. He might see Q as a leader type role that he use to be. But a leader can inspire his players on the bench and give them tips instead of playing and making us lose; Like Allan Houston is currently doing. Chandler has all the tools in every category from offense to defense, etc and he needs minutes.

And this is the ammunition a Marbury supporter will use as a slight against him personally.

Clearly that is what it must be for Duhon to start over him. Because there is no way QRich should be a starter on this team. D'antoni cannot justify sitting Marbs in favor of Duhon while starting one of the least talented players on the team in Richardson. Other than I'm the coach I call the shots. But he is basically cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Paul1355

All Star
And this is the ammunition a Marbury supporter will use as a slight against him personally.

Clearly that is what it must be for Duhon to start over him. Because there is no way QRich should be a starter on this team. D'antoni cannot justify sitting Marbs in favor of Duhon while starting one of the least talented players on the team in Richardson. Other than I'm the coach I call the shots. But he is basically cutting off his nose to spite his face.

I didnt understand your first sentence, but I think Marbury is better than Q Rich and I made the point that it makes no sense to start one and bench the better one.

I agree that Chandler is an important figure that should start. Q Rich can get hot at times but also ice cold. A guy that inconsistent should be a 6th man instead of a starter. His size and weight lose can now make him play the SG and SF positions off the bench.

Kiyaman

Legend
So far the Walsh & Dantoni tandem are reminding me of the offseason when Larry Brown was FIRED. And Isiah Thomas signed a defensive FA Jared Jefferies (Duhon). While keeping the same 23 win roster.

Although, Isiah Thomas draft picks of Balkman & Collins were/is ten times a better pick than Gallinari in their rookie season.
Both players were NBA ready in their rookie year in the NBA (they just needed a NBA coach, which they did not get untill their 3rd season).

The Blame-Game is for losers, hopefully this Knick team will lose that philosophy of thinking after the 40 to 50 losses this season no-matter how hard the New York Media do their best to stir up the Blame-Game to compensate their way of not being unemployed writers.

No matter how you mix this 2008-9 Knick Roster into vary lineups......we are still 3 to 4 players missing to be a complete 500. team in the regular season. The last 4 seasons we lacked in the defensive department to close out games, and within those 4 seasons we never hired any defensive coaches for our staff, but we kept adding offensive players to our roster. Hint:

When Coach Phil Jackson took over the Lakers he inhereted four all-star players in Shaq, Eddie Jones, Kobe, and Nick Van Exel. The first immediate thing Phil Jackson did was trade two of the "All-Star" players that offseason for average Role-Players to put around the other two All-Star players.

So the game you just seen the Knicks lose in preseason only means that.... any Knick oponent that has a defensive chemistry will beat the Knicks. Any team that the Knicks beat in the regular season games means that team has poor defense.