Knicks Wont Give Lee Extension

richtree

Rotation player
nyk_wt.gif
The New York Knicks have decided against offering fan favorite David Lee a contract extension ahead of the October 31 deadline.

Story

Oct 23, 2008 5:45 AM EST

nyk_40.gif
The New York Knicks have decided against offering fan favorite David Lee a contract extension ahead of the October 31 deadline, the New York Post is reporting. Lee will now become a restricted free agent after the 2008-2009 season, giving the Knicks the right to match any offer the forward may receive from any other team.
Lee's agent Mark Bartlestein said he and Knick president Donnie Walsh spoke yesterday, and Walsh has decided against giving Lee a contract extension.
"I don't anticipate getting something done," Bartlestein said. "As it stands, I don't think it will happen. Donnie is still in the evaluation process with this team. I think he understands David has great value in the league but is cautious to make a long-term commitment before he gets a feeling what direction his team is going."
Walsh did not dispute Bartlestein's remarks but said he didn't want to make it official until Oct 31.
The Knicks also will not give guard Nate Robinson a contract extension, according to the report.

Paul1355

All Star
Sad but has to be done

It's sad because everyone likes Lee and he is a good player but the financial status of the team sucks so bad that this has to be done. Unless we can trade the over priced players on the bench like Q Rich and soon to be benched(Crawford), this move seems like the only possible move.

Maybe Danillo can turn out to be a better PF....he should if he is half of what scouts say he is.

GetRealistic

Starter
No big deal, we can match any offer he recieves in the offseason because we still have his draft rights.

Also hes easier to trade this year without the extension.

portega1968

El Cacique
Dolan too busy rite now give Isiah tomas and lary brown million

jajajajaa.. sad but true that those two are getting their money instead of Lee.

Lee must be kept but you can blame Walsh for the cap situation we're in.

To be able to compete for the free agent class of 2010 and still keep Nate, Lee, Chandler and Gallinari, we must get rid of all the other players on this team first.

and the, you still ask yourself.... How much of the cap will those 4 occupy by 2011, which along with whoever we target, how much will be left for the other 10 players the team needs?

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i understand we can match any offer a team offers but since we over the cap, are we limited to how much to give em?

portega1968

El Cacique
nope... as a restricted free agent we can match any offer no matter how high it is.

Now, if it's too high a price that would just make it harder to get under the cap by 2010.

Walsh is betting that the market for Lee next year will not go beyond $8mil per... Bartelstein probably used Bynum's request in L.A. for $17mil as a benchmark for Lee's contract... probably used that to justify $12mil-$15mil or something like that.

clumsy

Rotation player
if they are going to sign him they better sign him now. now i used to think David Lee was overrated (until this years pre where i have seen progression from last season). It is possible he can get 15 pts. 3 asts, 10 rbs. easily everynight in this offense

How much more money will that mean at the end of the season.

JayJ44

Starter
Smart move, it's silly to sign him and give him a contract without seeing him play any time in the regular season.

New New York

Quiet Storm
All signs point to Lee being a Knick for a long time, so why rush it? Plus lets say Walsh is thinking about giving Lee a 4 yr 48 million deal, D Lee signs an offer sheet for 4 yrs and 44 million, Donnie matches the offer and saves us some crucial cap space. Also I'm not too concerned with a team out bidding us because I think David would take less (not much less, but less) to remain a Knick.

jpz17

Starter
Good move not resigning Nate, I think he will do good this year and will be great trade bait. But, bad job not resigning Lee. Every team D'Antoni has needs a guy like Lee. THats exactly just what he was missing in PHX, rebounds. He tried to get it with Shaq, but Shaq didn't hustle enough to fit in. Lee is perfect. Lee is having a good start and meshes well with everyone. He is a great person in the locker room, and I wouldn't try to even give Lee a chance to go into the fa if hes smart. Walsh is being tested by Knicks fans, so far hes passed. But if their favorite Lee goes, he automatically fails. And NY fans almost always get what they want. Lee will be starting and that will give him better numbers, meaning if we sign him now, hes not worth over 5 million a season. Lets get him signed to say 3 years, with a couple player options. Lee will want much much more money when hes done after this year. Also, competition will raise his price.

portega1968

El Cacique
we need to know what asking price Lee's agent threw at Walsh to better judge this move... I'm assuming he probably started with $12mil and that maybe convinced Walsh to wait.

if it were around $8 million, maybe Walsh wouldve signed him.

Im willing to bet that no way in hell Lee wouldve settled for $5mil.

mmarku#20

Rookie
Good, we should wait

i think the knicks are making a good move, we always rush into signing people we like and its hurt us in the past. if lee does well with dantoni's system then walsh will resign him.
the question is what are we gonna do with randolph??

CoolClyde

Sad day for D Lee and N8 the Gr8

this is bad news. Lee and N8 are the 2 shining spots on this team, whether starting or coming off the bench. who knows is Walsh offered (their agents) an extension? I have a feeling both players will be offered major contracts by other teams, and then Walsh will be reluctant to match, because we're committed to dead wood like Jerome James $1million per minute contract. I say lose Q-Rich, Jared Jeffries, Malik Rose, Eddie Curry and maybe even Crawfish (he's kinda sucking in pre-ball). Both Lee and N8 will be stars, we're already seeing their potential coming to fruition under the tutelage of a real coach like D'ant. I can't believe coach had no say in this matter. This is what each player is capable of, with real minutes:
DLee = 15 points, 10 rebounds per game
N8 = 20 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds per game

I'd like to see both players start and stay Knicks for life. They're only going to get better.... mark my words.

This is all Isiah's fault, the dopehead.