Just Read This Today, Didn't Even Realize...

KBlack25

Starter
So I was reading the Times today. Apparently Eddy Curry has an opt-out clause after this year. This means, in all likelihood, Curry will see no time this season. I think they want to make him totally miserable so he'll opt out. That could free our salary up significantly next offseason if we can make Curry so frustrated in NY he'd want to leave...I haven't heard much talk of this on this board or any where, thoughts?

GetRealistic

Starter
Its a good idea in principal. The only problem is, that if he plays no minutes he'll have no value to another team, so why would he walk away from a guaranteed 10 + million the Knicks owe him for an unknown

KBlack25

Starter
I agree, and that crossed my mind too, I think it's a delicate balance. I think the goal likely is to make him unhappy in NY and so unhappy that taking 10 mil from NY isn't worth it if u can get 2-4 mil playing elsewhere where he can be happy (this is the NBA, someone will always sign a center, no mater how crappy)...But there's a balancing act, you want him to think he can get $ elsewhere but you want him to be miserable enough to leave...

Trin_Starr

Starter
Nah Kblack - that's not happening.
The problem with Curry all through his life is that he cared more about the money than the love of basketball and never cared to work on his game, improve his defensive prowess as well as his conditioning. There is no way he walks away from $20mil guaranteed money.

He'll be happy to do a Jerome James.

I think however as the season starts a team like Miami who is without a legit center will make a play for him...hopefully we can get something good for him.

KBlack25

Starter
I mean whether or not he will walk away isn't the issue I'm trying to raise really. It's more that I think that's what the Knicks are TRYING to do.

portega1968

El Cacique
I just think that D'Antoni and Walsh are doing what no one has ever done with Eddy Curry... make him earn it.

He has had a sense of entitlement since being drafted out of high school and thinks he doesn't have to push himself. It's obvious from his lack of conditioning coming into a training camp where you knew the new coach was gonna make you run your azz off.

They must believe that the only way to get this guy motivated is benching his fatazz. I dont think they have in mind making him so miserable that he will opt out.

If he's not traded and if he did opt out at the end of this season, that would be one of the luckiest day in Knicks history. But, you know he's not turning his back on all that money for less money and more work.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
^ i agree they're pretty much telling him u wanna play then get in shape and earn it so he gotta get his fat ass to the gym first and foremost again thats a good thing the best is we get an eddy curry in shape...but i doubt that happens he'll be gone by mid-season

JayJ44

Starter
I doubt it would work, but it's worth a try. So guys, if you go to a knicks game, make sure you boo Curry extra hard!

portega1968

El Cacique
I doubt it would work, but it's worth a try. So guys, if you go to a knicks game, make sure you boo Curry extra hard!

the chant for Curry should be "get in shape"

or resort to one of Dirk's ideas... like beat him with a stick in Times Square.

jzero29

Rotation player
So I was reading the Times today. Apparently Eddy Curry has an opt-out clause after this year. This means, in all likelihood, Curry will see no time this season. I think they want to make him totally miserable so he'll opt out. That could free our salary up significantly next offseason if we can make Curry so frustrated in NY he'd want to leave...I haven't heard much talk of this on this board or any where, thoughts?
It's possible, but...
Its a good idea in principal. The only problem is, that if he plays no minutes he'll have no value to another team, so why would he walk away from a guaranteed 10 + million the Knicks owe him for an unknown
I'd have to agree with you. We want curry to be valuable, so we can deal him or he will opt out thinking he'll get new contract. I just don't see him having the pride to be embarassed by his pine time or the will to walk from the money. Besides he will be like most nba players who have been treated like royalty their wholoe life, he won't blame himself for being a fat out of shape loser not living up to his talent, it will then be the perfect excuse, the COach kept me on the bench, how can I stay in shape if I'm on the bench, how can I produce without minutes, it's not my fault. I mean the guy actually believes he deserves to start. They asked him and he'd say he'd be unhappy on the bench, like he actually believes he deserves to start??? All he needs is an excuse.

Last edited: