I think Mikey D. told Steph before the game straight up that he wasn't gonna play

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya, just a matter of asking...were you for a Ron Artest trade?

I wanted the Ron Artest trade before the Knicks drafted Wilson Chandler & D-Nichols....after watching how well those two played alongside of Balkman I threw the Artest trade out the window. We no longer needed Ron Artest. So if we did not need Ron Artest, I guess you know how I feel about Danilo Galinari.

What bothers me the most is why "Walsh & Dantoni" did not want to accept the Final season of Marbury........
accepting Marbury would've been a bright move for all the keepers on the team. Learning Marbury skillz & talents on the court in his final season would prepare us well for a .500 2009-10 season.
Especially, after the preseason games when it was clearly seen that Nate & Duhorn had great chemistry with Marbury.
Yeah, I like Marbury now in his last season with the Knicks.

Crawful & Q.Rich does not want to play alongside of Marbury for more reason then I could mention. However, Crawful & Q.Rich are LOSERS that does not have the right team chemistry to give their team the boost to win.
Last season was a prime example in the 58 games without Marbury in the lineup.
I will admit I wanted Marbury, Crawful, and Q.Rich traded after their first season with the Knicks. Now I just want Crawful & Q.Rich traded.
Trade them today, because they will never have a winning game like they did over Miami.

KBlack25

Starter
I guess I was just wondering, when you say we should have traded for a 6'9 defender, who that person was? If there was someone in particular or if you were just referring to the Balkman loss...

Starks

Starter
What about A-Rod? He gets booed for hitting .330. Though Marbury has had it rough...

I think Patrick Ewing gets that crown for basketball.

Arod takes the cake. Marbury doesn't get half the attention that arod gets. Ask your girlfriend which name they recognize. If she doesn't follow sports It won't be Marbury

Blumatic

Rotation player
I also though Steph's benching was weird. I have advocated that Steph needs to chnage his tune or get out. His tune has changed so Mike D should have played him. But with 81 games to go we'll see.

The way Crawford played list night is how I always felt he would be most effective. A catch and shoot player. His game needs to resemble Rip Hamilton's and Reggie Miller's. Good game be JC.

Curry is a bum and always will be one. Personally I think he really has issues with his heart and that's why he doesn't push himself that hard. You can't be that big every year before camp.

I hope Coach D'an doenst use the Knicks as a tool to boost his rep. He better be humble and admit that his system has some faults and you might want to change the pace is some parts of the game.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
Everyone knows I'm not a huge Marbury fan. I think he's a very good player, but as someone that values a "team first" attitude and playing style with minimal controversy etc... I could do without a lot of what he has historically brought to the table along with his excellent basketball skills.

All that said, I think we need to think about this situation clearly.

IMO it has been fairly clear from the start that the Knicks wanted a divorce from Marbury. It appeared like there might be some chance for a buyout, but Marbury wanted every penny he was owed and that killed any potential deal.

That's NOT the way buyouts work. Typically you receive less than you are owed because it frees you to negotiate a contract with another team and make as much or more money than you are contracted to pay currently. It also allows you to compete with your former team.

So Marbury made his own bed by insisting on every penny, perhaps because he wants to stay in NY.

The problem is that he has no power at all to negotiate with this team now.

Walsh and D'Antoni are under no pressure to win this year. In fact, they may not even care that much if they don't because they'll get a better pick. Their plan has nothing to do with winning this year. It's 3-4 year plan designed to remove overpaid players/long bad contracts, develop the young talent, get draft picks, and look forward to the free agents in 2010 and beyond. So Marbury is meaningless. They can bury him on the bench all year and suspend him if he says a word they don' like. Marbury fans may not like this situation (and I'm sure Steph doesn't either), but that's the reality.

At this point I think its up to Steph to intiate negotiations for his release so he can play elsewhere or he his destined to remain on the bench all year.

D'Antoni was at least kind enough to say that Steph did nothing wrong during pre season. It's also obvious that he can still play very well. So he has options around the NBA.

It's just clear now that years of being a prima donna and disruptive force have finally caught up with him even though he's behaving almost perfectly this year so far. Rightly or wrongly, this management team would rather lose games with the youngsters than play Marbury. It's time for him and his fans to move on. Hopefully, he can go to a contender and prove himself once and for all.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
I think if Marbury can keep his mouth shut (something he's been unable to do in the past), he should clock a decent amount of minutes. I think D'Antoni is sending a message perhaps not only to Curry and Marbury but to the team that I think is an important one: Nothing is guaranteed, no minutes, no time, no nothing. It doesn't matter who you are, what your name is, what your salary is, if you are the guy that's going to help out, you are the guy that's going to get minutes. I think D'Antoni is saying that if you are disruptive, if you are a distraction, if you don't look like you're going to do what he wants you to, you will sit, end of story.

I, for one, think it's a positive message.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Marbury will get plenty of playing time during the course of the season. There is no way you give Collins steady playing time with a player of Marburys calibur lounging on the bench. Trust me, there will be a situation when D'Antoni needs that extra boost and he will have to point to one of the most explosive players on the team.

I think Steph knows he 's gonna play. The luxury of having a player you can have drive to the basket and draw fouls at will is invaluable.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Marbury will get plenty of playing time during the course of the season. There is no way you give Collins steady playing time with a player of Marburys calibur lounging on the bench. Trust me, there will be a situation when D'Antoni needs that extra boost and he will have to point to one of the most explosive players on the team.

I think Steph knows he 's gonna play. The luxury of having a player you can have drive to the basket and draw fouls at will is invaluable.

I whole heartedly agree.
The miami heat was never really a challenge. Even with wade, they won't be good - at most a 25-30 win team.

I can't wait til the knicks play some real competition and they get run out of the building....then the boos start raining down on D'Antoni because his all offense no defense game plan has no place in NYC which has all its knicks teams built on defense.

jzero29

Rotation player
I'd like to see marbury get some time away from the pine.

I'd like to see marbury get some time away from the pine, He makes 20mill per, he's a veteran, he's got actual talent. it would be insulting to put him in only at garbage time. But they won. We'll see. I like steph and if he gets it together and gets a chance, I can see this team becoming that more dangerous. Plus time off the pine, letting him show he's still got it, increases his low trade value. If he gets time and lights it up, teams who need that extra piece to get over the hup may be interested. But I do think he needs to prove he can come off bench to other teams, not complain and put up good numbers before his value increases.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'd like to see marbury get some time away from the pine, He makes 20mill per, he's a veteran, he's got actual talent. it would be insulting to put him in only at garbage time. But they won. We'll see. I like steph and if he gets it together and gets a chance, I can see this team becoming that more dangerous. Plus time off the pine, letting him show he's still got it, increases his low trade value. If he gets time and lights it up, teams who need that extra piece to get over the hup may be interested. But I do think he needs to prove he can come off bench to other teams, not complain and put up good numbers before his value increases.

Damn! Zero you hit it right on the head.

If Marbury says nothing after receiving two or three DNP's.... his trade value will go sky high....he came to camp in shape....competed in Dantoni's system very well, and is an expiring contract worth $21 millions off the books for any team that also have a "2009 or 2010 Plan".

When Donnie Walsh trade Marbury for a couple of long contracts.......maybe the realization of a $100 million per year team in 2008-9 going after a "2010 Plan" becomes the Miracle on 33 st.

JayJ44

Starter
The real test comes now. How does Marbury respond? Does he put up another YouTube worthy interview, or does he shut his mouth and wait patiently for time?

For now, it looks like he is saying the right things:

"This is a business and I understand the decision if that's the way they want to go," Stephon said after the game, "I have no problem with it."
http://blogs.trb.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2008/10/statement_game.html

I understand not playing him to prove a point that the coach is the boss, but why waste his talents on the bench? Especially when we have guys like Mardy Collins out there, getting turnovers because he dribbles to high. We're paying him 20 million anyway, why not have him help us win some games?

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I whole heartedly agree.
The miami heat was never really a challenge. Even with wade, they won't be good - at most a 25-30 win team.

I can't wait til the knicks play some real competition and they get run out of the building....then the boos start raining down on D'Antoni because his all offense no defense game plan has no place in NYC which has all its knicks teams built on defense.

You are starting from the assumption that the Knicks are still a short term oriented team thinking about winning this year. That's not the case. They don't want to lose or anything. It just that the primary goal is to develop players like Chandler, Robinson, Lee, Gallinari etc... for next year and the year after and the secondary goal is to win games this year. That's why a guy like Gallinari will get playing time even though he missed the whole pre-season and is probably not really ready to be very productive yet. It's the opposite of what Isiah used to do. Don't look for Steph to play much unless there is an injury. Even then, they may push Roberson ahead of him.

jpz17

Starter
You can tell the NY fans have a love hate relationship with Steph, either cut him or play him. Don't make him site. If he sits all year I think Walsh and D'Antoni should be fired. Don't waste great talent. Now I bet in Stephs next game he will drop 25 or 30

Anybody remember what D.Walsh did before Knicks job?

Him an D'antoni seem to have an outdated idea of how fix our knicks. . .Walsh helped Indiana get to it's down trodden state and D'Antoni could not get Phoenix to win the BIG games. . .WTF would you keep Collins and Roberson? and don't sign Pat Ewing Jr? Then you keep Steph on the bench?. . .to prove what? That you got him under control?. . .Steph runs circles around Collins, Roberson, and Duhon. . .Ewing Jr. would have brought an intensity and SIZE (which knicks are lacking) to defend on the post. . .I'm gonna hate when we play any teams with REAL big men. . .We beat Miami. . .WOw! They're in worse shape than the knicks! I don't know. . .It's getting really hard to be optimistic with these cats at the helm. . .and by the time 2010 comes around. . .yeah right. . .Lebron will be a Knick. . .Sure! and Kobe will want to play for the Knicks too!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i think Walsh and D'Antoni got a trade in the works i understand the Curry desicion but the Marbury i got no clue so theres deff a trade being discussed.and its not specifically a Harrington trade....im interested to see where this ends