I Know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?

Who Should We Draft?

• Brandon Jennings

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Ricky Rubio

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Demar DeRozan

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Tyreke Evans

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Blake Griffin

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

metrocard

Legend
I don't see Thabeet being a monster shot blocker in the NBA...He'll average 2-3...where as Monroe has mad potential to give you 2 blocks...plus a shitload of assist, steals, points, and ability to get to the basket and hit an open shot from deep range. He's a very underrated rebounder.

Monroe is the next all star big man.
Forget Griffin.

Pau Gasol > Carlos Boozer
Monroe > Griffin

dave2138

Rotation player
Is Monroe entering the draft though? I remember hearing that he was most likely to stay in college 1 more year and be the favorite #1 pick in 2010.

portega1968

El Cacique
I wouldnt go for a PG if we're picking after 10th (unless Johnny Flynn is available cause he's seriously on the bubble and his game looks sweeeet).

I wouldnt go for a SG, SF or PF, cause we have those positions either filled (Nate, Gallo, Wilson and Lee) or will be filled in 2010 (please Lord allow Dwyane Wade to call MSG his home).

I'd rather go for a big man, a legit 7footer. Thabeet will not be available by then nor will Monroe. So, I think we should grab BJ Mullens, who has the size and can run/fit nicely into DAntoni's offense.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
our weaknesses at this point are

PG- for the future Duhon may not be here past 2010, so if a great PG prospect is available we should take him.

SG- no true Sg, Nate is a 6th man won't start much .

and obviously C- our weakest position and what we really desperately need.

dave2138

Rotation player
portega I agree, I think BJ Mullens is a real possibility. Like Derozan, both players probably won't be NBA ready for the 2009/2010 season, but enter the draft anyway. That shouldn't be the Knicks concern though in the draft. They have to look at who will be the best option in 2010/2011+..Going by that standard Derozan/Mullens would probably be top 5 picks based on potential.

Before the NCAA season started, a lot of sites had Mullens in the #2-#5 pick range. His play has definitely dropped him to the #10-#15 spots, but I don't think the long term potential is any less.

I'd be happy with either Derozan or Mullens, but think its more valuable to get the true center if available than another SG/SF player.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i agree but DeRozan's style of play is more for the fastpace offense like ors, he isnt really a half-court guy that will come obviously with time, so i expect him to be better when he plays in the NBA then how he's been in college.

and as for Mullens he isnt that ready but he's better then his numbers he just doesn't play much time will tell with him

Curry is looking real solid this season and has shown he could handle the point full time with efficiency, i would love to take him.

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
Nah you have to be realistic though. For the Knicks to have greater than 1% chance at Griffin they would have to lose every game until the end of the season.

So obviously that is not realistic, you should start thinking about picks in the #10-#15 range.

The thread simply says who should we(knicks) draft? So maybe you should read a little more carefully big boy.
maybe you can read, but i dont think you do so with understanding. if the thread says who we should draft then that means its pertaining to all available options, especially since like i said we dont know where well be picking. and my point was theres no better option then blake. no one said we were getting the number 1 pick being odds are againgst anyone getting it.
i hope we make the playoffs but right now were currently in 9th. its well documented that the worst team in the league rarely even ends up with the top pick.n case you havent noticed its a draft lottery. keyword lottery. so anything can happen if we miss out on the post season in terms of draft position

chicago won 33 games last yr and suprised everyone and got the top pick so nothing is certain. im sure bulls fans werent anticipating getting rose either. hopefully were in the post season and wont be picking anywhere near the top of the draft

dave2138

Rotation player
This is very true, good point that anything is possible. However, I don't think you have thought out your opinion well enough.

I'll reword the thread title so maybe you can have a better understanding. 97.1% of the time who would you pick in the 2009 draft?

Why bother even thinking of players to get, where less than 3% chance we we'll get the chance to. Just because it happened to Chicago last year doesn't mean the odds go up.

The way I see it this is like Suns or Maverick fans talking about how great Griffin or Thabeet would look on their team next year..

portega1968

El Cacique
If I could have any pick I'd go for Ricky Rubio... he WILL be a superstar in this league... a big superstar... something like taking Isiah Thomas with a little bit of Steve Nash and spicing it up with some Chris Paul. He will be that good.

But, since he probably isnt gonna be in the draft and even if he is, we will not be picking up there unless a miracle happens, I have to set my mind on a pick in the low teens. And if the ones on top go as expected, I believe BJ Mullens, if still available, would be the right pick... only Johnny Flynn is the one causing some doubt in this range.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
if we get Thabeet great i'm all for it we need that enforcer down low and he would be that.

Mullens has the potential, but he's still developing and is a project i wouldn't mind getting him but if we do i won't mind he has the skills he just needs to develop them, he's a beast in the making

at this point i believe we draft either Jennings or Curry, DeRozan also comes to mind, my money is one of those will be on our roster come the start of next season. unless of course we win the lottery or get a top 3 pick.

Harden would be lovely in our system and he's going to be a sick player but highly unlikely he falls to us.

Curry is real underrated and he's proven to be a great full-time point guard he could handle it and he could def. carry our team in the future.

dave2138

Rotation player
I'm not sure how long this opinion will last, but I think I'd prefer using Robinson as the starting PG for the future rather than using a draft pick on a PG.

Likewise the same thing with SG and SF, as you hope Chandler and Gallinari can hold those positions long term with the excellent chance of the addition of a FA in 2010.

I hope David Lee is the starting PF for this team for the next 5+ years, I don't want any changes there. Not necessary to draft a PF with a lottery pick.

Center is the only position where there is no one on the team now that you can say in the future will be a great center. The only hope of an upgrade is through FA of Stoudemire or Chandler, but likely that would eliminate any chance of Lebron/Wade. I don't think you can have both Lebron/Wade + Stat/Chandler.

To me this is where the draft can really help us out to lower the need of signing someone like Chandler and instead signing an aging part time veteran player like Camby.

Thats why I think Mullens makes a lot of sense. Ideally, you can have Mullens + Camby play around 20-25 minutes a game at center without effecting the odds of keeping Lee + Robinson + signing Lebron/Wade.

Prince, or anyone else - if Curry/Mullens are still left when its the Knicks turn to pick, who do you take?

jpz17

Starter
lets take a risk, why not lol get someone who isn't projected to do well in the nba but did well in college

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i would go with Curry, only because in the 2nd round we could get a nice C prospect in Jerome Jordan he blocks shots and plays defense, i like him more than Thabeet( no homo ).

Mulles has the potential and isnt that good now but he has the skills to be a big time player

but Curry is already nice and still has the upside and will give us a great 2nd option if we sign a superstar in 2010

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
This is very true, good point that anything is possible. However, I don't think you have thought out your opinion well enough.

I'll reword the thread title so maybe you can have a better understanding. 97.1% of the time who would you pick in the 2009 draft?

Why bother even thinking of players to get, where less than 3% chance we we'll get the chance to. Just because it happened to Chicago last year doesn't mean the odds go up.

The way I see it this is like Suns or Maverick fans talking about how great Griffin or Thabeet would look on their team next year..
great analogy comparing the knicks to 2 teams several games over .500. i had no idea our record was that good. and to think i was worried we might not make the playoffs

dave2138

Rotation player
It is a good comparison. The Suns are 2 games out of the playoffs, the knicks are 2.5 games out of the playoffs.

If the season ended today, the Suns would have a 1.8% chance at a top 3 pick, knicks 2.9% chance at top 3 pick.

Point is with the comparison, is Knick fans talking about how great it would be to have Griffin/Thabeet/Harden on the team is about as pointless as Suns fans talking about how great it would be to have 1 of the 3 on the team next year.

I'm happy to explain any comments I make to you in detail goldenchild. Any questions or concerns, don't be shy to let them out. We are all friends here.

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
youre obviously a dumb ass if you think there isnt a significant difference in draft possibilities between those 3 teams, you cant be that stupid. and the knicks have a 1.7% chance at number 1 only, while the suns are at 0.5. the knicks are 3 times more likely to win the draft then phoenix. again stupid comparison. still my point had nothing to do with us winning the draft. i simply said in speaking of the best player available in any circumstance its blake not rubio like some were suggesting. and in case you didnt notice rubio who is projected to be at least a top 5 pick is leading the poll in this thread. so obviously people on the board were not just refferring to guys well have a better chance at getting. he wont be anywhere around the picks of 10-14 or whereever you mentioned. thats why i made mention to blake as the better option. but obviously you failed to noticed that. and then you came in trying to be a smart ass making little sense and taking what i said out of context. trust me theres nothing i need to ask you in regards to anything basketball related for that matter. you dont have half my knowlege in that area

Last edited:

dave2138

Rotation player
Wow..I think you win the most sensitive poster of the year award.

I kind of forgot what we were arguing about...I just stopped reading after you compared a 1.7% chance a significantly better chance at winning the lottery than a .5% chance. Nothing after that could possibly be worth reading.

Anyway back to the main topic of the thread which is " I know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?

What players do you like/dislike Goldengirl in #9-15 of the draft?

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
Wow..I think you win the most sensitive poster of the year award.

I kind of forgot what we were arguing about...I just stopped reading after you compared a 1.7% chance a significantly better chance at winning the lottery than a .5% chance. Nothing after that could possibly be worth reading.

Anyway back to the main topic of the thread which is " I know It's Early-But Who Should We Draft?

What players do you like/dislike Goldengirl in #9-15 of the draft?
first you post numbers that were innacurate then you say someone bein g3 times more likely to win something is the same. brilliant

still my point had nothing to do with us winning the draft. i simply said in speaking of the best player available in any circumstance its blake not rubio like some were suggesting. and in case you didnt notice rubio who is projected to be at least a top 5 pick is leading the poll in this thread. so obviously people on the board were not just refferring to guys well have a better chance at getting between 9-15 that was my point before you questioned me with a smart ass response. you still aint responding to that and pulling a i dont know what i was arguing about move cause you obviously you realize you were wrong for even questioning my original post