Is Now the right time to trade David Lee?

New New York

Quiet Storm
First off I have to say that Donnie Walsh showed great patience in not giving the contract extension to David Lee just yet. Not to say that David isnt worth an extension, but he is a very cheap, productive player and frankly that combination hasnt found The Knicks too often in recent years.Now, Lets flashback to Channing Frye; remember how Isiah turned down some really nice packages because he didnt want to package Frye (Ron Artest,Lamar Odom, just to name a couple). Now we all know that Frye's numbers dipped and he would eventually become a throw in player in the Francis/Randolph trade. So is it time to move David Lee while his value is still high in risk of losing value?

Some of you may think that I'm suggesting trading David Lee because his numbers have dipped a little...my answer to that is hell yeah! I think David Lee is still a double double type player but my concern is will his trade value drop if his numbers fall. Not to mention I can't see The Knicks giving both he and Nate extensions next year, so someone has to go and Nate looks to be Dantoni's favorite player currently. Look I like David Lee he is probably my favorite current Knick, so this is nothing against him, but I would hate to sit on another player too long like we did with Sweetney,Frye, and Balkman.

So what do you think

Paul1355

All Star
I agree

Lee will average good numbers but it seems like his rebounding numbers aren't as high as people anticipated if he continued to get full minutes. He averaged 10 rebounds a game off the bench one year and since then his rebounding numbers have gone from 8 a year now to 6 a year.

I agree that his numbers are dipping down when he has averaged 29 minutes a game the last two seasons and including this season.

Lee and Nate are the players that teams want.

We should use Lee and Nate to package guys like Curry and Malik in a trade and get maybe another 1st round pick.

Kiyaman

Legend
No this is not the right time to trade David Lee, but it is the perfect time to trade Crawful, Zach, and Q.Rich.

I will read your reason for such a post later...
:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

Paul1355

All Star
No this is not the right time to trade David Lee, but it is the perfect time to trade Crawful, Zach, and Q.Rich.

I will read what you wrote above later...

Crawford and Zach are the offense so far. Especially Zach, he is our MVP out of these last 9 games.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
actually this is the time to trade Zach and Lee both are at the top of their games and their values are high teams will fall-over for these guys right especially Lee the "coaches player" and Z-Bo whos proving he's a team player and can play uptempo

i would like to see Crawford and Q-Brick gone too

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Crawford and Zach are the offense so far. Especially Zach, he is our MVP out of these last 9 games.
I agree. If it wasn't for Crawford and Randolph, the Knicks would be 2-7 right now. They're the ones that are making up for Quentin Richardson and Chris Duhon's lack of offensive production.

David Lee is in the final year of his contract, and he's going to go where the money is. The Knicks really should consider trading him ASAP. If I was Walsh, I would trade him and Eddy Curry for expiring contracts. Lee is a good player, but he's not untouchable. Wilson Chandler and Zach Randolph are good enough to take his place.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Q-Brick is a piece of shit cant shoot and thats supposed to be his bread-and-butter...guys garbage how he's still starting is beyond me....Crawford has been a suprise too interseted to see how long this goes on....and Z-Bo is the man...we gonna get some good players for em loll

Kiyaman

Legend
Right now this Knick frontcourt rotation of Lee & Zach could use some help from a player like 6.11 Channing Frye for 26 mpg.
We need to add another bigman not subtract a bigman for another bigman.
Zach contract could get us two bigmen for one.

When you make $8M or $14M per season and dont apply any defense or court awareness you better be scoring high so we could win some games.
Or be lucky I'm not the owner signing your checks.

David Lee is a complimentary chemistry teammate.
Do the person (New York we still cool right?) who started this thread have an idea or clue how many bigmen teamates Zach played with in his career?
Was Zach the complimentary player with Curry or was it Lee.
This is the reason why Lee will get an offer-sheet of $8M and better.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
lees problem is in his genes. Every year, players get more and more athletic. I see other players jumpin over lee for rebounds, and rejecting his shots. hes got problems with his feet now too. i say trade him for a shot blocker or to a very bad team for a draft pick.

Kiyaman

Legend

Hint: To get to the 99 Finals Ewing & Houston was our scorers that was taking us below the 8th seed. It was "Spree-well" Energy that got us the 8th seed and the trip to the Finals.

So all you guys who keep thinking that we got a different Crawful & Zach from lastseason, need to pay attention on how Little-Nate finds the weakness of an oponent and brings the energy with him & Chandler or him & Lee.

Crawful decision making has always been worst than the rookie guards that just came into the league that season. Nothing changed.
The last 2 seasons Crawful average 17 fga per game. So he should average double figures in scoring.
Alot of teams this season are actually sending defenders out 25 feet to defend Crawful which is a big mistake for them but good for the Knicks b/c Crawful can dribble pass them.....this is the part where Crawful decision making is awful when his teammates defender leaves them open to defend a dribbling Crawful who will always shoot first before passing to the open man.
Crawful just started taking the ball to the hoop 4 games ago....when we been begging for him to do that for 4 straight seasons.

With Dantoni as the new coach and a new "pass-first-PG" you will see Crawful pass to the open man on occasions but when the same play is repeated twice you will see Crawful take the shot.... that is how a Knick 30 point lead went down to a 7 point lead vs the Thunders.

Would you like to know about Crawful decision making on DEFENSE???

knicklover

Benchwarmer
lees problem is in his genes. Every year, players get more and more athletic. I see other players jumpin over lee for rebounds, and rejecting his shots. hes got problems with his feet now too. i say trade him for a shot blocker or to a very bad team for a draft pick.

I agree.

I know he has some huge fans because of his hard work on the court, his smarts, generally good decision making etc... but he's a limited guy. He's not athletic enough to be a top defensive or offensive PF and doesn't have enough of an outside game to be a real threat there either. (granted he's showing a little more willingness this year to at least put up shots when they are sagging off him). He also gets too many shots blocked.

He can be a really top notch 6th man type player or even a starter on many teams with the right mix, but the salary numbers they were talking about earlier this year for an extension would be too much (IMHO).

I don't want to see him traded, but he's not untouchable.

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
Zach= MVP so far this season
Crawford= a lot of the offense so far
Lee= Still a valuable player that we need this season
Nate= Amazing so far this season

we need to ship Q's ass outta here first, the guy has not fit in at all this season, nor has he had a breakout game yet. I doubt anyone will take him by himself or for his contract but to answer the qusetion, do we trade Lee now? the answer in my book is definitely not!

D-LEE42fan

dre48ny

Rotation player
Well if the Knicks can move Curry by packaging Lee, you would have to deeply consider it. I think the NYK also have to wait because what if they move ZBO, then Lee can come in handy. Zbo playing sick right now.

Kiyaman

Legend
How valuable is David Lee to this Knick Team and their 6-4 start?

Would teammates Nate, Chandler, or Zach be happy campers in New York if David Lee was traded?
And what player could replace all the things David Lee brings to the Knicks?

The real big talk about the Knicks success is directed at them only having "TWO-BIGMEN" in their rotation "Zach & Lee".
The last Bigman teammate that Zach had that pushed him to play at the level he been playing at was Rasheed Wallace.
Zach runs back on defense now.

paris401

Starter
i give lee.. an "A" for effort and hustle, but if the rite deal comes along..especially if it includes one of our many bad contracts, i'd ship lee and his 3ft jumper out of town so fast....

I agree.

I know he has some huge fans because of his hard work on the court, his smarts, generally good decision making etc... but he's a limited guy. He's not athletic enough to be a top defensive or offensive PF and doesn't have enough of an outside game to be a real threat there either. (granted he's showing a little more willingness this year to at least put up shots when they are sagging off him). He also gets too many shots blocked.

He can be a really top notch 6th man type player or even a starter on many teams with the right mix, but the salary numbers they were talking about earlier this year for an extension would be too much (IMHO).

I don't want to see him traded, but he's not untouchable.

You guy's do know that Lee won the National H.S. dunk contest right?...... That must take a little athletic ability, no ?

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
Since we can't give him the extension he's looking for, we have to trade him. I'd like a trade with the warriors: Curry+Lee for Harrington and Wright.
Harrington has one year less on his contract than Curry and fits perfectly in Coach D's system; also I don't buy this strange back injury stories, he's just not going to play for Nellie anymore. Wright is a talented PF, can block some shots and has a nice midrangejumper + he has one more year via teamoption on his cheap rookie contract. If we could also get Bellineli or a draft pick from GS I would pull the trigger any minute.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4821061

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Let's not forget that we still have 6-11 jeffries who will be back in a few weeks. I wouldn't trade Lee until Jeffries gets back and proves that he could pick up the slack if Lee were gone.

At this point, Zach looks like a different player. He is way more unselfish and is our only low post threat (a damn good one too). Zach is 1st in the east with rebounding among all PF and 2nd in scoring only behind Bosh. I know he's not that good of a defender but he makes up for it by making defenders look silly in the paint and on the perimiter. If Gallo and Jeffries were healthy, things would be alot easier to determine.