D'antoni says Steph refused to play

New New York

Quiet Storm
I like that decision by Marbs...i gained more respect for him after today...when the Knicks were playing with full rosters everyday and left him hanging and did him like Jerome James and D'Antoni refused to play him...now under these conditions when they need him he simply said no i dont wanna play...i see that as the best way to get back at them he said **** you suck my dick and watched them get mercilessly beaten-although that loss pissed me off-

this definetly ends his knick career were gotta move on now.

So you gained respect for him leaving his team out to dry? The sad thing is that he actually thinks that he made a point tonight. WRONG! Knicks fan and management wouldve gained respect for Steph tonight had he gone out there and helped out. If Steph played tonight and went 2 for 12 he still wouldve gained respect from people outside of Team Marbaury.

If Steph wanted to show that Mike Dantoni was wrong for benching him, tonight was his time, and all he did was confirm that his bad attitude hasnt gone anywhere!

No tonight I gained respect for Dantoni for not throwing Steph under the bus (Larry Brown wouldve for sure) and for not making an excuse about a lack of hands tonight being the reason for the loss, and by demanding that we need to go out an win tommorow. That's how a man with integrity handles his.

marbury_press_conference_katrina_victims.jpg

Awww...Don't worry Steph it'll all be over one day and you can tell your new coach and management how to best utilize you.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
So you gained respect for him leaving his team out to dry? The sad thing is that he actually thinks that he made a point tonight. WRONG! Knicks fan and management wouldve gained respect for Steph tonight had he gone out there and helped out. If Steph played tonight and went 2 for 12 he still wouldve gained respect from people outside of Team Marbaury.

If Steph wanted to show that Mike Dantoni was wrong for benching him, tonight was his time, and all he did was confirm that his bad attitude hasnt gone anywhere!

No tonight I gained respect for Dantoni for not throwing Steph under the bus (Larry Brown wouldve for sure) and for not making an excuse about a lack of hands tonight being the reason for the loss, and by demanding that we need to go out an win tommorow. That's how a man with integrity handles his.

marbury_press_conference_katrina_victims.jpg

Awww...Don't worry Steph it'll all be over one day and you can tell your new coach and management how to best utilize you.

C/S

If marbury truly loved the game and wanted to play he would have jumped at it...i see where he's coming from though i guess, if team says it doesnt want you you can't expect him to jump at the chance to help em i guess..Dantoni's handling it very well

Last edited:

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Tonight showed the Knicks organzation,front office,team president,coachs,teamates,and all the Knicks fans that he does'nt and never did care if the Knicks won or not.I hope they send the guy home and ban him from all Knicks games b/c he does'nt deserve to get to come and set on the same bench with a Knicks team that WANTS TO WIN.

The guy is a complete joke of a player!!! Its no wonder he ruins every team that he plays for.I really have to question his love for the game b/c anybody else would have jumped in there tonight and played his ass off.No not Pukebury,he has to act like the badass!! but the only thing he looked like tonight was a dumbass and I can't wait till the guy is gone.I applaud Dantoni for what he is doing and I hope he sends him home for good.

King Ewing

Banned
he plays because its his job and he's making 20m and he's playing for his next contract and team. How do you think the other 29 GMs are going to feel about him. Typical of his fan club to say he was right.

I couldnt agree more! Great post! You're 150% right!!

King Ewing

Banned
So you gained respect for a guy that bailed on his teammates. He can hate D'Antoni and he can hate Walsh but he bailed on his teammates. He left hes teammates high and dry to playing with only 7 players. I guess thats how he proves once and for all hes a bad teammate.

Also this really makes his free agency value sky rocket after hearing this nonsense do you really think any team is going to touch him.

And honestly what can this guy do to make you not like him. He gets paid 40 million dollars and hes a changed man whose done all the right things yet he refuses to play. This guy can just do no wrong to you people huh.

Great post man! There actually are more then just a few smart Knicks fans on this board.

It sickens me how Marbury can do nothing wrong, I really really hope you Marbury lovers leave when hes gone. PLEASE GO! We dont want you here! You're clearly not Knicks fans, you dont want the best for this team. So stop wearing our colors and get a new team!

Last edited:
i just came back to this site to ask one thing to the marbury faithfull, how in the blue hell can you continue to defend this man? what has he done, how many playoff games have we won under him. how long is it gonna be the coach's fault and not his, how many times can he quit on this team? i'm glad d'antoni but him on blast like that. one day, u guys r gonna wake up and see the light. till then, peace and love everyone.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
You people don't really know what you're talking about. Sure, Marbury's rich, etc., etc., but he's a human being, not a door mat. Why would he play for a coach who's jerked him around, promising to give him a chance to play, when he clearly wasn't serious about it? Why would he play for a guy that tosses out two of his long time teammates, during a successful stretch, for a possible, not even likely, chance at Lebron, two years down the road? Marbury wasn't even asking to start, from what I understand, he just wanted playing time.

If D'Antoni had shown Marbury the respect to tell him that he wanted to go in a new direction, from day one, I would have been okay with it. But, to manipulate and play with Marbury's head, is wrong and, though Marbury sat on the bench quietly, is the reason why Marbury's had what is clearly a month or two of animosity towards D'Antoni.

Was it the right thing to do, on Marbury's part? No. Clearly, he should have suited up, supported his teammates. However, when one is in a situation that's not treated with professionalism, sensitivity or respect, there's a big chance one might act rashly, out of anger and frustration. Marbury is only human. If you've seen people lash out their bosses, authority figures, etc., you should understand where he's coming from. I know I do.

And about Lebron, and the possibility that he might be the Knicks' saviour, that stinks of Isiah-ology: the belief that getting big names is going to equate with success. You don't get better by just going out there and signing big names, you get better by studying prospects carefully, finding a combination of smart veterans and hungry new talent. Along the way, some get waived and some are kept, until you end up with something like what Chicago or Orlando have. This idea that you can buy success has been proven wrong, at least in the NBA. If you look at the Spurs, Nets, Chicago, Orlando, Detroit, Philly, and lots of the other successful teams, they've proved that. They got to where they are slowly, by drafting and signing players intelligently.

Last edited:
He left hes teammates high and dry to playing with only 7 players. I guess thats how he proves once and for all hes a bad teammate.

Also this really makes his free agency value sky rocket after hearing this nonsense do you really think any team is going to touch him.

And honestly what can this guy do to make you not like him. He gets paid 40 million dollars and hes a changed man whose done all the right things yet he refuses to play. This guy can just do no wrong to you people huh.

These same teammates that talk smack behind his back, yet no one ever fesses up to anything they said negative about him? The same teammates that when given a chance to say postive things about him during one on one sit downs with Walsh and D'amphony, put him under the bus? D'amphony plays him all pre-season and then elects not to play him at all because supposedly he is too good a player to play here and there, and he is not in the long term plans, so it's best to just sit him, yet you ask him to play when you need it? Does that not qualify as playing him here and there?

You guys who hate Steph do not objectively look at the situation all the time. What if he gets hurt? Then what? Now he can't even latch on to a new team and further his career, when it's clear he is done as a Knick. None of his teammates or coaches like or care about him, so why should he risk his well being for them? Seriously? As far as the team goes, he is basically just taking up space. Out of sight and mind... That is until the team gets desperate and now realizes it needs him. And really, D'amphony should have never even asked Steph to play. But all this does is obsolve him from blame, because Steph is an easy target. So D'amphony will play the victim as if he tried to get Steph involved when really, that was never the case. Yet Steph is the bad guy?

If he does play, then what? He is a good teammate all the sudden in your eyes? Stand up guy? Wrong, he loses regardless. If he plays well, he is just trying to show up the team. If he plays bad, then it's he's doing it to get back at the team. Lose/lose. D'amphony should have never even asked. Point blank. He knew the outcome before he did.

Does it suck that the Knicks are even dealing with situations like this? Yes. But if you put yourself in Steph's shoes, there is no way you play either. That is if you truly are realistic.

tiger0330

Legend
You people don't really know what you're talking about. Sure, Marbury's rich, etc., etc., but he's a human being, not a door mat. Why would he play for a coach who's jerked him around, promising to give him a chance to play, when he clearly wasn't serious about it? Why would he play for a guy that tosses out two of his long time teammates, during a successful stretch, for a possible, not even likely, chance at Lebron, two years down the road? Marbury wasn't even asking to start, from what I understand, he just wanted playing time.

If D'Antoni had shown Marbury the respect to tell him that he wanted to go in a new direction, from day one, I would have been okay with it. But, to manipulate and play with Marbury's head, is wrong and, though Marbury sat on the bench quietly, is why he's had what is clearly a month or two of animosity towards D'Antoni.

Was it the right thing to do, on Marbury's part? No. Clearly, he should have suited up, supported his teammates. However, when one is in a situation that's not treated with professionalism, sensitivity or respect, there's a big chance one might act rashly, out of anger and frustration. Marbury is only human. If you've seen people lash out their bosses, authority figures, etc., you should understand where he's coming from. I know I do.

And about Lebron, and the possibility that he might be the Knicks' saviour, that stinks of Isiah-ology: the belief that getting big names is going to equate with success. You don't get better by just going out there and signing big names, you get better by studying prospects carefully, finding a combination of smart veterans and hungry new talent. Along the way, some get waived and some are kept, until you end up with something like what Chicago or Orlando have. This idea that you can buy success has been proven wrong, at least in the NBA. If you look at the Spurs, Nets, Chicago, Orlando, Detroit, Philly, and lots of the other successful teams, they've proved that. They got to where they are slowly, by drafting and signing players intelligently.
Marbury interpets the rules as he sees fit. When he's sitting, he says its coaches decision, when he's asked to play why isn't it coaches decision. Like New New York said, Marbury's job is to be ready whether he plays every game or one game the whole year.

Lebron is just what this team needs, he'll earn his 20M. He'll give 200%, take over games, close a gap of 50ft and block a shot at the rim, will his team to wins. All Marbury has done is lose every where he's been. We all knew this was Stephs last year with the Knicks, is it too much to ask that he leave with some class? Thats not Marbury's style, instead he pulls his prima donna act and gives the NY media something to write about for the next month.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Like Knicks4lyfe said, a lot of his teammates screwed him over, in the papers, on a regular basis. The cancer label resulted from self-righteous guys, with little to no talent, like Q and Malik, while speaking off the record, looking down on Marbury. Marbury has never been one of my favorite players, and I've had mixed emotions about him, in the past. The bottom line is that what's happening with him, at this point, is wrong. He should be the bigger man about it, but not everyone is Ghandi or Mother Teresa. Some people fight fire with fire. Besides, why would he play for one game, just until the Knicks were able to suit up Tim Thomas and Mobley? I don't think he's that much of a sucker.

As for Lebron being the Knicks' saviour, I wouldn't bet on it. On the Cavs, he's helped them get into the playoffs, but he hasn't done anything special, nothing comparable to Kobe, for example. He also tends to choke, in the playoffs. I compare Lebron to a younger Vince Carter or Grant Hill. Bottom line is that we should have kept Jamal, Steph and Zach. Q, Jerome James, Curry, and Malik, should have been traded or waived. And, with our draft pick, we should have gotten Brook Lopez, who can block shots and get you some points.

Anyway, I'm not GM, so what I say doesn't matter.

Red

TYPE-A

If D'Antoni had shown Marbury the respect to tell him that he wanted to go in a new direction, from day one, I would have been okay with it. But, to manipulate and play with Marbury's head, is wrong and, though Marbury sat on the bench quietly, is the reason why Marbury's had what is clearly a month or two of animosity towards D'Antoni.

O yea, the Celtics didn't just buy (or trade for superstars) for a championship? Every championship team I repeat EVERY championship team has a least 1 superstar. Most have 2!

Steph, 2 wrongs don't make a right.All you did by refusing to play is justify why they sat you and are going in a different direction without you. Had you had an agent and less of a bruised ego you would of decided to play and be THE BIGGER MAN. But no you fell for the bait and ate it up. You're getting paid to be part of a team. Whether they decided to play you 1 or 40 mins. Bench or starter or inactive. The point is when THEY DECIDE not you. For you to refuse ultimately makes them look justified and you look...like a child.:baby:

Last edited:

pat

Starter
All in all he missed a chance to show that he is

a.) a real professional
b.) morally superior to D'Antoni.

Playing (no matter how) would have given Walsh a chance to trade him/ buy him out (minus new contract).

smokes

Huge Member
The point is he has a 20 MILLION DOLLAR contract and what is that contract for? To PLAY basketball when the coach decides. If the coach decides you sit down you sit and collect your money, if he wants you to play you play...

Any other job when you refuse to follow the orders of your superiors you're out the ****ing door sideways.

I don't really care either way, and D'antoni obviously doesn't either, but only a bunch of guys so in love with another man could come here and say Marbury did the right thing.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Stupid, simple minded, gun and run posters, everything is not as simple as you are. Sometimes, you have to stand up to people like D'Antoni, who lack moral integrity and ethics. Although I'm not a big Marbury fan, I think, based on what management has been doing to him, he did the right thing. Why would he play, when, as soon as Cuttino Mobley arrives, he's going back on the bench? I wouldn't be a part of D'Antoni's arbitrary BS, either.

It's not fair to promise a guy a "clean slate," an opportunity to play and then not use him. It's not fair to blame Marbury for the situation with Isiah, where Isiah tried to illegaly ban him from the team and from practices, even publicly stating that he was trying to trade him. It's also not fair to play guys like Q Rich and Malik Rose, who have been the true cancers on this team, and not Marbury. What Marbury has needed, just like any other backcourt player does, is a solid big man, who rebounds, plays help D and blocks shots. He's also needed a good, stable coach, another rarity in New York, as of late.

As for 20 mill., that means nothing to someone who's rich. I have a lot of money, compared to a lot of people, it doesn't mean anything to me, when it comes to dealing with the same challenges that the next guy has to deal with. That's just an out-of-touch argument. Money is just paper, at the end of the day: you have to deal with the same thing everyone else does: eating, communicating, working, sleeping, etc. They're jerking him around, and he has a right to refuse to be a part of their games.

People always need a scapegoat, and, having seen them pick people like Ewing as one, I'm not shocked to see Crawford and Marbury, almost exclusively, blamed for years of failure. Anyway, you simpletons will see: get ready for another decade of sucking. Years ago, when we had Tim Thomas, they dismantled the team, got rid of T. Thomas, Mohamed, and K. Thomas, even though that team was playing much better than subsequent ones. Just when it seemed we might start to do something special, they do the same thing. History does repeat itself, I suppose.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Was it right for D'antoni to sit Steph down the way he did???? NO. But you would think any COMPETITOR would love the chance to prove his coach wrong. Steph had that opportunity last night and did like he always does when challanged and sat it out. This is the SECOND HIGHEST PAID PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE PEOPLE. He will make more this YEAR than most of us will make in a lifetime. I won't even make this year as much as Steph will make for sitting out last night. THIS IS YOUR HOMETOWN TEAM STEPH!!! YOUR FANS HAVE BEEN CHANTING YOUR NAME ALL SEASON!!! No wonder no team Steph has been associated with has ever won anything. The guy is a LOSER. He must not ever even pick-up a newspaper. The entire country is in a financial mess, but Steph feels justified to get paid 20 million to do absolutely NOTHING. What team in there right mind would ever want ANYTHING to do with this guy???

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
good that hey didn't play i wouldn't have played either. i mean that's just degrading your pride. did d'antoni think he'll actually play?

New New York

Quiet Storm

I'll tell you why....he gets paid to! Also because this same coach has been praising him in public about how he has handled this situation, so it would make sense for him to go play to help with that claim.

Now, you are also claiming that Steph is not playing because he is mad that two of his longtime teamates (actually Zach has only been a teamate of his for a year, but who's counting) which justifies him not playing....really? Think about that one and try to come up with another excuse for him!

Now belive it or not The Knicks arent the only team with their eyes on that free agent class-Detroit parted ways with Billups to be players in that FA class, and The Nets let Jefferies go for that same reason. The notion that making moves for Cap purposes to land key free agents is "Isiah-ology" is so fundementally wrong I don't know where to begin at.

Try again my man!

DunkinDonuts

Benchwarmer
Why should he take another blow to his dignity? He's already disrespected enough already and therefore why should he still waste his effort on a team that don't want him playing for them. The only reason D'antoni wants him to play last night was cause they were desperate. And if you take it from the point of view of Marbury... When he gets bought out and goes to another team, 1 less win for the knicks = higher chance of his next team getting into playoffs.

Marbury bein Marbury

I'm a NY dude and I must say that I liked Marbury since high school. I'm just not feeling his work ethic right now. To me he had an opportunity to rebuild the relationship with the organization. Even if it's to help his trade value. Remember, teams don't just look at how well one performs on the court. To me this is just adding more baggage to his resume and might turn the heads of the few GM's that considered him.