Walsh deals with 'cancers' in February

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Hoopshype says the meeting today between Marbury, Walsh, and Players Union attorney last 35 minutes with no results. So, we'll have to be patient.

Also, remember the Ron Artest situation in Indiana? Walsh had Ron Artest sitting at home for almost half a season, though the fans were pissed far more than now (Artest messed up a contender after all). And he got a nice trade out of that mess - Peja Stojakovic, later Al Harongton.

So if I have to guess, Id say Marbury will get buyout at the end of February, or a trade just before deadline. As for a trade, what do u think of this:
Marbury, Robinson to Sacramento
Brad Miller, Kenny Thomas to Knicks.

Sacramento saves almost 20 mil in cash. Clears frontline minutes for rebuilding with Hawes and Thompson. Gets Nate.
Knicks get nice passing center in Miller. Still have same cap space for 2010 (actually even more, since Nate wont be resigned). Get some value from Marbury. Brad-Lee frontcourt would give us some good times in these 2 years.
And Sacto might even play Marbury, they have ugly situation at pg.. Looks like a good deal for both teams, since Sacto isnt getting to playoffs anyway.

OFF TOPIC: Don't u think the dude is the biggest marketing genious in the NBA right now? I mean, it's one thing when great players like Dwight Howard or Shaq put on media shows during All Star, and get nicer shoe deals. Marbury hasnt shown anything good for years, but looks like he could still get a few millions from Miami or some other place just because media cant forget him. That's some marketing lol

JayJ44

Starter
I don't like the trade at all. Nate looks like he can be very successful in this system, and we can't give him up for 2 scrubs. Miller is alright, but he's past his prime and he can't help us as much as Nate. I'd rather just let Marbury's contract come off the books, than do that trade.

I doubt we will be able to trade Marbury. His contract is way too large for most trades to work, and most teams don't wanna pay that much for him.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I don't like the trade at all. Nate looks like he can be very successful in this system, and we can't give him up for 2 scrubs. Miller is alright, but he's past his prime and he can't help us as much as Nate. I'd rather just let Marbury's contract come off the books, than do that trade.

I doubt we will be able to trade Marbury. His contract is way too large for most trades to work, and most teams don't wanna pay that much for him.

agreed Nate's a keeper and i dont see D'Antoni wanting to trade him; he's gonna get re-signed and once Marbury is gone welcome back #6

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Agreed. The cap space is important to the Knicks as well as a free roster spot and with a trade they lose that free roster spot (presumably for Ewiing Jr).

I just dont see us using the cap space in 2009. Boozer is interesting, but risky (injury history, not LeBron's favorite player). Kobe, Bynum wont leave Lakers. Suns will use team option on Nash. And other top free agents this year just dont seem a good fit or worth the risk - Artest, Kidd, Iverson, Shawn Marion, Mehmet Okur, Rasheed Wallace.
We should keep cap space for 2010, and thats when Miller and Kenny Thomas expire.

Kenny Thomas is a scrub, but Brad Miller is pretty good and Walsh's favorite. He had similar stats to Lee before the Golden State game, plus great assist numbers. Looks like a better fit at center in this system than anyone we have now.

And do we really need a roster spot? I mean we do right now, these days. But I just dont see Marbury getting off the roster until February. In February, we will probably have Mobley playing, and Gallinari back.
From what i hear, Gallinari may be similar to Diaw in D'Antoni system, a high assist point forward who can sub 2-4, and distribute when necessary (I may be wrong, I havent seen him play in Europe last year). With SF/PF crowded with Wilson, Harrington, Quentin and Lee, Gallinari could get some burn backing the 2, instead of Nate.
Remember, D'Antoni always distributed minutes among 8 or so players since Phoenix times, everyone else is DNP.

And anyway, do u really think we will resign Nate after this season? Some team will offer him a deal near midlevel, and no way we will match.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I just dont see us using the cap space in 2009. Boozer is interesting, but risky (injury history, not LeBron's favorite player). Kobe, Bynum wont leave Lakers. Suns will use team option on Nash. And other top free agents this year just dont seem a good fit or worth the risk - Artest, Kidd, Iverson, Shawn Marion, Mehmet Okur, Rasheed Wallace.
We should keep cap space for 2010, and thats when Miller and Kenny Thomas expire.

Kenny Thomas is a scrub, but Brad Miller is pretty good and Walsh's favorite. He had similar stats to Lee before the Golden State game, plus great assist numbers. Looks like a better fit at center in this system than anyone we have now.

And do we really need a roster spot? I mean we do right now, these days. But I just dont see Marbury getting off the roster until February. In February, we will probably have Mobley playing, and Gallinari back.
From what i hear, Gallinari may be similar to Diaw in D'Antoni system, a high assist point forward who can sub 2-4, and distribute when necessary (I may be wrong, I havent seen him play in Europe last year). With SF/PF crowded with Wilson, Harrington, Quentin and Lee, Gallinari could get some burn backing the 2, instead of Nate.
Remember, D'Antoni always distributed minutes among 8 or so players since Phoenix times, everyone else is DNP.

And anyway, do u really think we will resign Nate after this season? Some team will offer him a deal near midlevel, and no way we will match.

YES! loll, Nate is coming back he's still young and improving i think he could reach 20 ppg or cloe to it in his prime, he's shown disipline this year and has become more of a team player...his defense has really improved since he's entered the league and his steal totals are way up because of it...his energy cant be matched by anyone we have/bring in including Ewing JR(when he comes back)....with the trades we did so fa and Marbury coming off the books at the end of the year and possibly Curry :)crossfingers:).. wecould easily resign Nate and Lee both to nice contracts even without Curry leaving, and besides Nate loves NY and NY loves him(no homo) no way he leaves

rollingstone

Benchwarmer

If Curry and Jeffries stay, no
Curry+Jeffries + 2 max contracts (say LeBron and Bosh) + Gallinari, Chandler, Lee and Nate = over cap.
Not to mention other spots - we may go for veterans like Nash, Raja Bell, to surround the max guys.

We'll probably have to choose between Lee and Nate even if we get rid of Curry and Jeffries. and we wont get rid of them unless we throw in Lee or Nate, or Mark Cuban signs Isiah.

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
Knicks have to just buy him out already, they desperatley need a roster spot, they cant play 7 guys for the hole season, they need to bring back Ewing.

TJ.

Rookie
I remember hearing that if Marbury is going to be bought out of his contract, it's going to happen in January so that Cablevision won't have to include the $21 mill into the 08 books for the company.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
never heard it before, but yea, that cablevision thing makes sense. I wondered where those rumors that Dolan doesnt want buy out are coming from

Knicks have to just buy him out already, they desperatley need a roster spot, they cant play 7 guys for the hole season, they need to bring back Ewing.

We wont play 7 guys all season, we have Mobley and Gallinari coming in at some point.
Ewing would be great help if we buyout Marbury like right now... but that wont happen. If we sign him once Mobley and Galli are back, he'll just be DNP all the time. Remember, D'Antoni always played 8-9 guys max, even in Phoenix.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Timing of Buy-Out

Although I also recall reading that Dolan did not want the buy-out during 2008 for Cablevision tax reasons, I do not believe it.

Without a buy-out, Marbury's contract provides, I assume, for payments over the period of his employment. The pay-outs would certainly extend into 2009. Apparently Marbury is currently owed $18.3 M out of $21.9M. That means he has already been paid $3.8M. Just as Marbury could be paid less than what is left on his contract if there is agreement, he can agree to take whatever money is agreed upon at any time he agrees to. In other words, the buy-out could always have included an agreement to delay payment into 2009.

Apparently there is an issue under the CBA as to whether the team can simply send Marbury home even though they continue to pay him. i expect that we will hear a lot about that unless there is a prompt resolution.

This stand-off over a couple of milllion dollars makes no sense for either side.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

imagine they woulda released James before the season we woulda still had Ewing, and he would be playing and producing unlike that fat **** that sits on the bench all game, cant wait till a spot opens up #6 will be back

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
OFF TOPIC: Euro agent says Marbury would get rich offers from Euro teams once he's available.
Wouldnt be surprised, they are paying insane money for star players over there, 3-4 mil euros with all taxes payed + free apartments, car, personal cooks, and so on. And the season there is only like 40-60 games, depending on the country... That's like getting 8-10 mil $ a year here for half nba season.
+ you get to be a star with a clean slate again...

crazy world :)

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2008/12/the_mike_tyson_of_the_nba.html

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Euro League

That seems to bring up an interesting question:

Can the Knicks trade Marbury to a Euro-League team?

I realize that this might not free up his NBA cap money this year, but would this otherwise be legal in terms of them getting a European player in return, instead of getting nothing (since no NBA team would trade for Marbury anyway)?

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Dont know if trading is legal in theory, but anyway - contracts in europe dont follow agreements between nba and players' association. So it would be impossible to say get Navarro to the Knicks without completely rewriting his contract.