Official Marbury Banned from Knicks Thread

knicklover

Benchwarmer
The following statement was released this afternoon by Donnie Walsh, President, Basketball Operations of the New York Knicks:

?After meeting with Stephon and his representative this afternoon, we have directed Stephon not to participate in practice or attend games until further notice. We want to continue to meet with him to discuss a long-term resolution.?

smokes

Huge Member
It's a shame it had to come down to this, for both parties. At least now the players and coaching staff can focus 100% on the Knicks gameplan and not be distracted by this media frenzy.

I feel bad for Steph, his time on the Knicks is over and the past is the past, a talented player like him should have been smarter and got himself into position to play for a contender, instead he's gonna be rotting for god knows how long and fast losing his foothold in the NBA.

JayJ44

Starter
I hope this is temporary, because it's bad for both parties. We waste a roster spot on Marbury, and Marbury doesn't get to play. They need to negotiate a buyout quickly.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Mabury should snuff these hoes, for trying to to blame him for not doing Eddy Curry and Jerome James' job. I'd like to see where Houston, Starks, or any other respected Knick, would have been, if they had to deal with Curry as their starting center.

Give Steph a chance to play on a quality team, with a real center, and you'll see what he can do. I'm not a Steph fan, but I understand how a player can be unlucky, in that he can wind up on crappy teams, where success is not possible. Anyone who actually has played organized ball, or has coached, knows that it's not about one or two players, when it comes to success. You need a team of competent players, in order to win, especially at the center position.

marbury.jpg

Last edited:

SpursFan4Life

Benchwarmer
Mabury should snuff these hoes, for trying to to blame him for not doing Eddy Curry and Jerome James' job. I'd like to see where Houston, Starks, or any other respected Knick, would have been, if they had to deal with Curry as their starting center.

Give Steph a chance to play on a quality team, with a real center, and you'll see what he can do. I'm not a Steph fan, but I understand how a player can be unlucky, in that he can wind up on crappy teams.
I don't think any good teams would want him. Mike Monroe of San Antonio Express News fame says the Spurs don't want him. Where do you see him possibly going?

I'll post this again cuz I thought it was pretty funny

"I'd rather start Nick Van Exel pulling the perpetually wounded body of Speedy Claxton up and down the court in a rickshaw than have Marbury coming off the bench for the vet minimum."

Starks

Starter
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3737739&categoryId=2459788

Watch this video for the story behind the beef between Marbury and his teamates.

Apparently a few seasons ago when Q-Rich's family member died, Stephon said some offensive things that had 2 Knicks having to restrain Q. Then Q was waiting outside the parking lot for Marbs, the Knicks had to call Q's sister to calm him down and convince him to go home.

That scene right there is a probably a big reason why no one on the team wants steph around.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I hope this is temporary, because it's bad for both parties. We waste a roster spot on Marbury, and Marbury doesn't get to play. They need to negotiate a buyout quickly.

I agree 100%.

I actually wish Marbury the best of luck wherever he eventually winds up, but it has been clear for a long time his time was up here. He wasn't wanted by his teamates, coach, and more than half the fans (and probably 3/4ths of the NBA).

The faster this resolves itself the better for both sides. The Knicks can bring in a player to fill out their depleted roster and Marbury can try to salvage his career and reputation.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3737739&categoryId=2459788

Watch this video for the story behind the beef between Marbury and his teamates.

Apparently a few seasons ago when Q-Rich's family member died, Stephon said some offensive things that had 2 Knicks having to restrain Q. Then Q was waiting outside the parking lot for Marbs, the Knicks had to call Q's sister to calm him down and convince him to go home.

That scene right there is a probably a big reason why no one on the team wants steph around.

Wow, that was a great interview with Stephen A Smith. I think he touched on all the important facts.

smokes

Huge Member
Well as the video says there seems to be people (outside of this forum :p) who sympathise with Marbury, and if there is a place for him on another team where we can bring in someone and their contract is expiring too there could be a really good resolution for the Knicks franchise. We can only hope.

And lol at the Qrich vs Steph carpark incident, would have loved to see that on pay-per-view:smokin:

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Stephen A. Smith never said that Q said anything about Richardson's dead family member, which seems to be what you imply in your post.

People continually bring up Q, as if he has any right to talk about anything, but Q is a bum, with no talent. Nothing he's done has made the Knicks better, he shouldn't even be getting minutes, let alone starting. If you watch his behavior, he's clearly a smug, egotistical asshole. He also has proven to be a snitch, along with Malik Rose, who constantly talks to the press about his teammates, on an off the record basis.

San Antonio might not want him, but I don't think that means no other team wants him. I think lots of good teams are going to look at Marbury, long and hard, because a guy like him could be the missing piece they need, the difference between winning and advancing in the post season.

KBlack25

Starter
This is one of the comments underneath the video posted above...I don't know the guy who wrote it or anything like that, but I thought what he said speaks volumes:

"Bugchaser21 (Mon Dec 01 2008 18:49:03 GMT-0500 (EST))
I'm sick of these spoiled people (not athletes) getting paid millions to play a game....... I really take it personal when a person who has never spent one night in a foxhole with lead showering down on them use this excuse for his team's behavior about him. I'm a 18 year active duty member who has 4 combat tours of duty and I make less than 50,000 a year after taxes and I've never looked over at Mr. Marbury in my foxhole and seen him by my side. Much less had the taxpayers by out my contract for 21 million, yes military personel sign a contract."

I don't know, I'm not in the military but I kind of agree, to be calling himself a soldier in a foxhole...I don't know it seems kind of offensive.

Edit: Yeah OG it doesn't say he said anything about the family member but the point is we kind of know where this hostility is coming from. The point is Marbury said SOMETHING after Q's cousin died that set him off, we might never know what it was, whether a reasonable person would have felt angered in Q's situation or not but that's where it's coming from...I had never heard anything about that (not sure if you had) but I think Q feels that Steph is not a good teammate and even less respectful of people's personal lives and Q obviously took exception to that (whether he was right or wrong).

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Confusion

I am a little confused as to what the Knicks can or can not do about Marbury. Hahn, and I believe other reporters, have suggested that, without his agreement, the Knicks can not simply send Marbury home and away from the team even though they continue to pay him under his contract and he occupies a roster spot. Smith's report and Walsh's press release suggest otherwise.

I took a look at the Collective Bargaining Agreement. I did not read the whole thing, but with the hlp of the Index I read a good portion. I could not find anything directly on point -- i.e., suggesting that the Knicks needed Marbury's agreement to exile him from the team.

There is a No Lock-Out provision -- Article XXX, Section 2 --- that says that during the term of the agreement "neither the NBA or its Teams shall engage in any lockouts, cessation or stoppages of work or any other similar interference with the employment of NBA players by NBA Teams. . . ." Perhaps this covers it.

Does anyone know whether the Knicks need his agreement to send him off with pay?

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
im neutral with this whole steph debate, but it is sad to see him end his career in new york like this, from the moment D'Antoni stepped into MSG we all knew steph was on a short leash, but who knew it wud be so short that he wudnt even get to play lol? i dont like steph's attitude, but in this instance, if i was in steph's shoes what would i say? he did get disrespected, and walsh did the wrong thing by keeping him here and giving him and knicks fans false hope that he had a chance 2 play. i wish him well 2 what ever team he goes 2 next, but until he has the pride to understand that he will never win a championship as the number one option, and be WILLING TO ACCEPT A LESSER ROLE(which i think he can) he'll neva get any rings

Blumatic

Rotation player
THE KNICKS DON'T OWE STEPH ANYTHING BUT THE MONEY. THE DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING STEPH SAYS.

Steph has been on bad teams so his losing is not all his fault and it aint really about that. Its the man character. He is loyal to no one but himself. He is quick to throw anybody under the bus.

We had so many different coaches with Steph at point and yet the problem goes deeper than him as a basketball player.

I can't remember any player on the Knicks giving the team this much trouble. The Knicks handle it poorly but I really can't feel sorry for this guy.

I'd day keep his ass, send him home away from the team, and wait till February to get a great deal. If Steph REALLY wants to leave he'll leave on the Knicks terms not his own.

Papajoe

Benchwarmer
you guys are kidding me

Steph is getting exactly what he deserves. Also Walsh and D'antoni have handled this guy very well. If D'Antoni had played Marbury during the season he would have lost the team like Isiah did last year. He played in the pre-season as a showcase to other teams. His large contract and team wreaker reputation made him impossible to move. And one more important thing, teams are bad because Marbury is on the team. It has nothing to do with who he plays with. He couldn't play with Garnett. The Nets and Phoenix both significantly improved after they dumped his ego and hopefully so will the Knicks. Face facts everyone, he is a very bad guy and an awful teammate. If he had a brain, he'd have an agent who could have advised him on how to get a buyout and move on. Instead he acts like a cheap baby. He's finished. Walsh should do what he wants to this jerk.

King Ewing

Banned
The following statement was released this afternoon by Donnie Walsh, President, Basketball Operations of the New York Knicks:

?After meeting with Stephon and his representative this afternoon, we have directed Stephon not to participate in practice or attend games until further notice. We want to continue to meet with him to discuss a long-term resolution.?

WOOHOO!! Eat shit Marbury lovers!! :peace: :peace: :peace:

Just do us all a favor and please, please leave with him! We know you guys are not Knicks fans. So please dont let the door hit you on the way out! :peace:

Pricey

Rotation player
WOOHOO!! Eat shit Marbury lovers!! :peace: :peace: :peace:

Just do us all a favor and please, please leave with him! We know you guys are not Knicks fans. So please dont let the door hit you on the way out! :peace:
ok so if someone likes Marbury as a player and wants him to play and is a Knicks fan they should leave?
No player is bigger then the team, i love Marbury but i think he should go now. Should i follow him to where ever he lands? fk no. As soon as we play against him i will abuse the shit out of him. Team always comes first.

It however pisses me off seeing people take enjoyment out of this whole situation, its embarrasing and a shame.
Marbury is the best player on this team, unfortunatley himself and the coach\players have issues and its best he leaves.

SpursFan4Life

Benchwarmer
Let's take a look at the various team records of all the teams Marbury has left.

He was traded from Minnesota during the 1998/1999 season. The Wolves had a record of 45-37 the previous season. They wound up with a 25-25 record in the lock out shortened 98/99 season. However in the 1999/2000 season they finished with their best record in franchise history at 50-32.

He was traded from Minny to NJ and stayed there for part of 3 seasons. His first season there they finished 16-34 (good for last place). The next season they finished 31-51. And his final season in NJ they finished 26-56. The next season while Marbury was in Phoenix, the Nets finished 52-30 and won the Eastern Conference.

In 2001 he was traded to Phoenix. Phoenix had a 51-31 record the previous season. Marbury helped get them to a 36-46 record in his first season with them. That would be second to last in the Pacific Division. In his second full season with Phoenix they were able to finish at 44-38 which was good for 8th place in the conference. They lost in the first round to the eventual NBA Champion Spurs. Marbury was traded midway through the 2003/2004 season. The Suns were 12-22 when he was traded and finished the season 29-53. The Knicks were 14-21 before the trade and finished 39-43 to be the 7th seed in the East. Phoenix finished the next season 62-20, good for first place in the Western Conference.

His first full season in NY, the Knicks finished 33-49, missing the playoffs. The next season they finished 23-59. They finished 33-49 the next season (2006/2007). And finally last year when Marbury played only 24 games, the knicks finished 23-59.

There seems to be a pattern here...