Waive me or Play me

metrocard

Legend
Stephon Marbury has revealed he will no longer accept a buyout from the New York Knicks and he wants the team to either waive him or play him, the New York Post is reporting.

"If they give me a uniform, I'm going to go out and play," Marbury told The Post yesterday. "It's their choice. I was getting ready to go back to practice and play [after Saturday's suspension]."

It was a departure from his comments made on Thanksgiving when he said, "This needs to end. The marriage is over."

Knicks president Donnie Walsh said he expects Marbury buyout talks to resume following Monday's failed meetings. The sides are now $3 million apart after Marbury withdrew his offer to take $1 million less than his contract, which has him earning $21.9 million.

"The negotiations are over," Marbury said. "That's what they don't realize. I was wrong to try to buy my freedom. The money is off the table. I came to them with the million dollars. I didn't have to give them nothing."

Marbury isn't wrong here. Walsh and D'Antoni need to stop stalling and make a move.

metrocard

Legend
Especially since D'Antoni clowned Marbury; thats the least he owes him. You don't give up on a player and announce it publicly as a HEAD COACH OF A PROFESSIONAL NBA TEAM before pre-season.
D'Antoni failed as a coach.

This is really about D'Antoni/Marbury.

Not the Knicks.

In related to the Knicks, I think everyone here knows I don't want Marbury apart of the future, and I want a young dynamic PG (Rubio or Paul, or even the underrated JJ Barea).

richtree

Rotation player
Usually a player wants out of town he will accept a buyout of lesser value to get what he wants....

why don't the Knicks understand in this case the organization wants the player gone...so this buyouts isn't going to be like others where the player takes less to leave ....

Steph would have played all season until he was told no....you just sit there, be quiet , and we will pay you ....ok

now, the knicks are saying ...why are you sitting there doing nothing ?

give us some of your money...and you are free (but you can't go to the heat, even though you stink, and you better give us at leat 3-4 mil before we will talk., oh, and by the way your wrong...

no matter what you say or do its wrong....lol

could steph had done anything in this situation to make him look right...nope...

he has layed down the ultimate statement...play or waive me.....

watch the knicks back pedal some more....

they aren't going to use his 2-3 million (difference of buyout) towards a player or cap this year...so lets go already....

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Marbury isn't wrong here. Walsh and D'Antoni need to stop stalling and make a move.

This whole thing is a hell of a mess. We can continue to go back and fourth, but the best thing for the Knicks as a team is to trade Marbury. That wont happen until it's clear to every exec in the league that the buyouts have failed.

MSGKnickz33 said:
I think d'antoni should sincerely apologize for his b!tchy behavior and ask marbury to play again.

This must be more of your unbias posting POV. I think we're a little bit past apologies. D'Antoni never came out in the media and said Marbury's a cancer, something most of us know to be true. He handled it like a professional.

Was it professional for Marbury to say 'I wouldn't trust him to walk my dog across the street'? That's the problem with you guys. It's always someone else's fault, but Marbury's. No one should diss anyone in the media, that's wrong, until Marbury does it then he gets a pass. That's not bias? What part of the game is that?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Mebury must be bipolar, or something. Does he actually think he will play for the Knicks after publically trashing the entire team and coach?

What a moron. He withdrew his $1 mil discounted offer for a buyout. Won't take a penny less, trashes the enitire organization after abandoning his teammates (twice) and now demands to be played or waived.

Where does he get the gall to make such demands? He's living in a dreamworld. Let him rot at home. He's still getting his full $22 mil to stay at home.

richtree

Rotation player
don chris .....there is practically zero percent of a trade....

he has a huge contract....and the Knicks won't accept back anything that isn't expiring.....

So trade is 99.999999999 not going to happen....

if your gonna speak, be ready to listen ., you just might learn something

Mebury must be bipolar, or something. Does he actually think he will play for the Knicks after publically trashing the entire team and coach?

What a moron. He withdrew his $1 mil discounted offer for a buyout. Won't take a penny less, trashes the enitire organization after abandoning his teammates (twice) and now demands to be played or waived.

Where does he get the gall to make such demands? He's living in a dreamworld. Let him rot at home. He's still getting his full $22 mil to stay at home.

I Agree 100%

richtree

Rotation player

yeah, let him rot at home.....so you want him cut or to just sit there and make his money all year... ?

everyone wants him gone, steph wouldn't mind leave., so just cut him ....

if your Knicks management and you don't cut him its shows you are soft and money still means more than winning

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
don chris .....there is practically zero percent of a trade....

he has a huge contract....and the Knicks won't accept back anything that isn't expiring.....

So trade is 99.999999999 not going to happen....

if your gonna speak, be ready to listen ., you just might learn something

You've got to ketch up on your reading before an attempt to call me out. A deal with Miami was seriously considered by the Heat but they backed out, in my opinion, for two reasons, one was Marburys behavior, and two, why trade for a guy that you can just get for cheap after he's bought out?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spmarb1122,0,3909229.story
http://www.nbarumors.info/2008/11/knicks-offered-marbury-for-marion/

Once the buyout talks are officially over and have cooled off, you'll hear more trade talks. This deal works as specially for the Heat. Expiring contract for expiring contract. If they have a problem out of Marbury he can be gone in a few more months, not that big of a deal. It's a low-risk situation for the Heat.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
we should play Marbs we need him -as much as some of you guys hate that fact- we injured and his offense and defense would be a plus, and the more he plays the more he plays well the better shot we have at trading him it makes full sense, although i think we should just let him play out the year, get him suited up and on the court, D'Antoni needs to stop acting like a child and play him, he owes him that much after repeadedly lieing to him in the preseason saying marbury will be a huge factor for us...

richtree

Rotation player
<TABLE width=750 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 30px"><TD class=p_tddetails noWrap width="10%">Shawn Marion</TD><TD class=p_tddetails noWrap width="15%">Forward</TD><TD class=p_tddetails width="75%">2008/09: $17.18 million </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
for

<TABLE width=750 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 30px"><TD class=p_tddetails noWrap width="10%">Stephon Marbury</TD><TD class=p_tddetails noWrap width="15%">Guard</TD><TD class=p_tddetails width="75%">2008/09: $21,937,500</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4.5 mil off from a trade., the heat don't have any other expiring contracts to include to even out this deal....

so a third team would have to be involved...

plus , marion wanted out from the suns., and is aging and would basically be a rental -- because they can't sign him until the 2010 signing are done....

So this wouldn't make sense for the Knicks....plus is he really any good any more ?

richtree

Rotation player
yeah, but that way miami has to take up 3 mil more of cap room and then lose any chance of signing marion....

I don't understand why would you want to trade for another player unless we are getting draft picks back in return as well...

we have to be frugal until 2010...

KBlack25

Starter
Well if they needed a point guard or whatever. I don't know why they would do it but it is technically feasible is all I'm saying.

paris401

Starter
<TABLE width=750 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 30px"><TD class=p_tddetails noWrap width="10%">Shawn Marion</TD><TD class=p_tddetails noWrap width="15%">Forward</TD><TD class=p_tddetails width="75%">2008/09: $17.18 million </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
for

<TABLE width=750 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 30px"><TD class=p_tddetails noWrap width="10%">Stephon Marbury</TD><TD class=p_tddetails noWrap width="15%">Guard</TD><TD class=p_tddetails width="75%">2008/09: $21,937,500</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So this wouldn't make sense for the Knicks....plus is he really any good any more ?

i don't know how much sense it makes for the knicks, nor how good he is anymore, but he is a 'warm' body, and we are lacking in that dept..