My fellow NYers, your thoughts on public spitting, please!

What should be done, about this issue?

• Enforce already existing laws, on the matter: 25 dollar fine.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • An ad campaign, signs, etc.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Allow people to spit all over the place.

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Just last night, on my way to a local food store, where I bought some juice, soda, cereal, etc., I must have dodged at least 20 spit wads, from ones that looked like thin, white streaks on concrete to giant blobs, with creamy centers, varying in color from green to white. This description almost serves as a metaphor for life, I guess.

Anyway, as you might have guessed, I think the spitting is getting out of hand. This summer, I quit practicing for my league's games, at the local outdoor courts, because the courts were covered with spit. I asked a guy if he didn't think what he was doing was disgusting (he was spitting on the court, during a fullcourt game I was involved in), and he said 'no,' with an annoyed look on his face. He stopped spitting, but he, just like the rest of those like him, have just kept on spitting.

My issue with this is how unsanitary and insensitive the practice is. These guys don't even have the courtesy to go spit in a trash can, a gutter area, or a road. They choose to spit on residential sidewalks, commercial areas and in parks. People carry bags around, carts, strollers, etc. They should not have to deal with extraordinary amounts of biological fluids in public, shared space, where everyone is entitled to move around.

I think the city has got to do something about this, because it's a public health hazard. If this becomes some sort of tradition, all sorts of diseases are going to spread exponentially. I've never seen anything like this, in all my years living in New York. It's so bad that I'm considering getting out of the area.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Take Care.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
It's really sad they don't even care and think there's nothing wrong with it.A lot of disgusting people in this world.What's even worse is the people who don't even wash their hands after going to the bathroom even though it doesn't take long.What do they think it's not "in" to do that and would be embarassed to do it?

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Well, I don't know where you live, maybe it's similar to NYC, but people here just don't care. I'm a person who, if he drops an item in a store, picks it up and places it in its proper place. I try to be considerate of others. If everyone dropped something, in a store, and picked up after themselves, life would be a lot easier for those who run businesses, in this city.

It's like with that man whom was run over by some selfish Black Friday shoppers, focused on buying flat panel TVs. They never stopped to think about others, which is why, when told that they could not shop, that someone was hurt by their stampeding, they continued shopping and stated they had been waiting all night.

It's the same with what you just brought up, people refusing to wash their hands, when they know they're going to be in communal areas: restaurants, offices, etc. It's disgusting, others should not be exposed to their filfth, but they don't care. People can't be bothered to go that extra yard for others' sake.

I think we need to demand more from people, especially in this country. And, instead of people being treated like outcasts because of how they look or dress, they should be treated like outcasts if they engage in evil and selfishness.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I live across the river in New Jersey.

Yeah, I also do that if I drop something.People think everything's a joke or the people in the store should fix what they did like they're some robots.

I just can't believe the things people do.

whogivesa.jpg

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
who cares??

:barf:
Maybe the both of you live on Long Island, boys, but I live in the inner city: The Bronx, NY. Anyone else who lives in inner city areas of New York, and is cultured and educated, knows that this has completely degenerated into a very bad problem, when, in the past, it was not. Literally, I find myself, after years of living here, and not having to deal with this, having to watch where I walk, at almost every step, because of the sheer number of lugies around here. Whatever preconceptions you have about the number being small, or me exaggerating the issue, is wrong. If it were one or two, on the sidewalk (which has always been commonplace), I wouldn't care. Literally, since this has really become popular, within the last year or so, there are small areas, about 8 ft. by 5 ft, that are covered with 20 or 30 spit wards. These guys think they're cool, I think, by doing this sort of shit. I think it's disgusting and can lead to the spread of disease, especially amongst the eldery and the very young, who are very vulnerable to infection.

I think Tuner, from his post, knows what I mean, he probably lives in the sort of neighborhood I do. I care about this issue because I live here, work here, etc., because it's the communal space that I, and numerous others, whom don't agree with this nasty behavior, share, it's important to me, though I realize you don't care. If it were your neighborhood, barring the possibility that you are a nasty person, you would be pissed off, as well. I know I live in the 'ghetto,' and I know lots of shady stuff goes down, around here, but I don't feel it is fair that shared space be treated in such a way.

If you can't feel for someone else's concerns, just because they aren't yours, it says a lot about the sort of people you truly are. For the sake of those around you, as well as for your own personal development, I hope you reform your values system, so that your egotism does not become your downfall.

Last edited:

feetoe

Benchwarmer
I enjoy seeing Asian women blowing their noses on the sidewalks and watching for some whitish projectile to hit the pavement.

feetoe

Benchwarmer
yeah it's not like having a guy squeeze next to you rush hour on a subway smelling like he ate three pounds of garlic and curry.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
You need to get laid if thats bothering.
lol cold...but nah nah i feel his pain i hate playing and shyt and then feeling some nasty shyt on my hand and seeing spit and shyt...but theres not much you can do...spitting is like a part of public pakrs nowadays

feetoe

Benchwarmer
yeah like if you're sitting on the train/bus and someone is standing over you and sneezes, very annoying

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
lol cold...but nah nah i feel his pain i hate playing and shyt and then feeling some nasty shyt on my hand and seeing spit and shyt...but theres not much you can do...spitting is like a part of public pakrs nowadays

Exactly! This is the sort of thing that should not happen. You can catch all sorts of diseases, as a result of airborne urine, saliva or mucus droplets. Sneezing and coughing, without covering your face, can spread disease, but spitting is also another way to spread airborne infections/diseases. I think, with the magnitude at which people are wantonly spitting in the street, it's actually worse. Here are the diseases that I know can be spread in the above mentioned fashion.

Chicken Pox
The Cold
The Flu
Bird Flu
Measles
Meningitis
pneumonia
rubella

(these are just the ones I know of).

I know that Metro, along with some of the other posters on this site, has hate for me, but this is not about me, this is about a serious health hazard. It's just like the fact that we have all of these Chinese food, and Kennedy Fried Chicken, restaurants, located in the inner city. It's also like the exploitation of academically underachieving inner-city people, by these for-profit "colleges" that advertise during Maury Povich. The absence of wealth does not preclude community, dignity and responsibility. And people should fight for those things, if they want to be respected by those outside of the inner city, if they want to better themselves and each other.

Is the issue likely to go away? Eventually, I think it will lessen in severity. However, at that point, I think it will simply be replaced by some other symptom of the inner poverty of ethics and values that exists in most inner city communities. Right now, I just know that it's a serious problem, with, for example, high school students now even going as far as to spit in classroom and hallway floors. I guess, it's ALL about appearing to be cool, by any means necessary.

I'm not asking for people to live like saints or monks. I'm asking that they live by the simple creed that says that you do as you like, as long as what you do does not hurt anyone else.

Last edited:

Akamu

The King
Not that you deserve any attention...

but out of all the things going on in the world, corruption, starvation, pre-meditated genocide, etc....which you so choose to ignore, and I don't care if you do....

The best your cowardly ass can come up with is people spitting in your space?

Pathetic, it's alright I leave the wheel in your hands, you do a great job ethering yourself-

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
First of all, I see why you have a problem with this thread, akamu: it's real. Had it been a thread about aliens, laser cannons, or some other sci-fi BS, you would have surely been interested.

I think, out of all of the threads in the hangout section, this is one of the most worthwhile, especially for us real new yorkers. I understand why you can't relate Akamu, because you're from Staten Island, out there in the stix.

The fact is that this is a disgusting health hazard, which has the potential of leading to a serious epidemic. Quality of life is ****ing important. Residential areas should be safe, clean and healthy, and public officials should see to that. Instead, you, Akamu, would like them to talk about New World Orders and secret societies, and the rest of that bullshit.

As for H20, whatever your name is, again, another selfish, egotists, who can't see past his own concerns. Again, I'm not surprised. If any NEW YORKER, like DatPrince or Tuner, feels like talking about this issue, in a respectful manner, I'd be glad to read your post.

The rest of you can **** off.

Akamu

The King
Such a frustrated bytch, I'm originally from the Bronx. I was fortunite that I had good parents that decided to bring me to a better living environment.

If you don't like where you live then GTFO not too hard, you earn enough, coming on a forum bytching about people spitting, when there is more important shyt going on-

threadfailstampku8.gif

JayJ44

Starter
I think it's disgusting too. It's bad enough when they spit in grass, but on pavement and sometimes even indoors is disgusting. Not much you can do about it though.