Kobe Bryant and the Knicks

rady

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, we've heard these rumors before, here we go again..

Isiah Thomas will be competing against 28 other teams for free agent Kobe Bryant this July, so odds aren't good. But the Los Angeles Times reported yesterday some of Bryant's Laker teammates have bets he'll wind up with the Knicks.
Thomas has told confidants he will make a strong pitch for Kobe, a Philly native who may want back to the East Coast.

One thing that makes it not so unfathomable is Phil Jackson may have interest in Allan Houston in a sign-and-trade - the only way this deal can happen.

In a recent publication, former CBA coach/author/Jackson buddy, Charlie Rosen, wrote about the Kobe situation and mentioned how Houston would fit perfectly in Jackson's triangle offense. Rosen is one of Jackson's closest friends. He was an assistant under Jackson with the Albany Patroons in the 1980's.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17492.htm

e_D

Benchwarmer
I doubt it. But the thought is intruiging. I never liked Kobe at all. I never wanted to see him in a NYK uniform. but this whole rape thing has humbled him, and I dont see him as such a punkass anymore. so I might welcome him to our team if he came over here.. but the notion that anyone would want to take on Houston's bloated contract is hard to believe. We'll see what happens.. I'd like something nice to come out of this summer since our first rounder is gone.. And it seems like 'Sheed is enjoying his stay in detroit, so he'll probably stay with them. We'll see..

WiL8000

Rotation player
I'm truly not a Kobe fan. I am a fan of the way this guy plays though, lets face it, he is the closest in terms of style of play, to Jordan than any other player out there now. I'd really hate to see Houston go. But if it happened, I would support it. All in all, I don't see this thing happening over the summer. I see Kobe going to the Clippers.

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
I too am not a Kobe fan and I really don't want to see him in a Knicks uniform at the cost of Allan Houston.

If Kobe does come to NY, Maybe Rasheed will be intrigued enough to sign with the Knicks.

AJD

Benchwarmer
rady said:
yeah, we've heard these rumors before, here we go again..

Isiah Thomas will be competing against 28 other teams for free agent Kobe Bryant this July, so odds aren't good. But the Los Angeles Times reported yesterday some of Bryant's Laker teammates have bets he'll wind up with the Knicks.
Thomas has told confidants he will make a strong pitch for Kobe, a Philly native who may want back to the East Coast.

One thing that makes it not so unfathomable is Phil Jackson may have interest in Allan Houston in a sign-and-trade - the only way this deal can happen.

In a recent publication, former CBA coach/author/Jackson buddy, Charlie Rosen, wrote about the Kobe situation and mentioned how Houston would fit perfectly in Jackson's triangle offense. Rosen is one of Jackson's closest friends. He was an assistant under Jackson with the Albany Patroons in the 1980's.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17492.htm

It'll happen...Rady the article should be in by friday morning.

jayp

Benchwarmer
i don't know what to say.. a lot of things can happen.. will Steph yield to Kobe at crucial games? are they gonna end up like Kobe-Shaq? Both Steph and Kobe need the ball to be effective.. If they find a way to fit Kobe in the Knicks system then it's alright with me.. besides, with Coney Island's Finest running the show, how will the fans accept Kobe?

allan20

Benchwarmer
i would make this trade without thinking to much, but come on.. why would the lakers do it?
somebody post the original article from the LA times, i don't eat up any NY Post crap

aaron

Rookie
I think that the addition of kobe to the knicks would make for a very difficult enviroment for wilkins to coach in. Kobe is an ego maniac and although he has some of the best game in the NBA, he also has alot of baggage. Kobe needs to be the focal point of the knicks and I can see him causing problems with other players like marbury. Kobe also brings alot of negative attention to the knicks with his rape trial still looming in the air, as it may still be for the next couple of years. although new york is the kind of huge arena that he would like to play in, I have to think that new york would be better off getting players that are better at role playing instead of being the whole show. Kobe's presence can lead to the type of environment that plaqued them when camby was around and led to the departure of van gundy. Down with Kobe. Good luck in the prison league!!!

BryantDunkGiant

Benchwarmer
Don't be a hater, aaron. NYK would love Kobe and he didn't win three rings by being an egomaniac. The guy lead his team in assists last year and is close behind Gary Payton this year.

Unfortunately for you guys in New York, Kobe's not going anywhere. He's opting out only so that he can get the maximum contract for the Lakers. And he deserves it-- he's the best player in the league. These rumors and times of indecision are nothing but negotiation tactics on the part of Kobe and Arn Tellem (his agent). The Lakers can give him the most money and Kobe knows in two years the team will be his. Karl and Shaq might be retired by then and maybe even Gary will hang em up.

Who knows though, I think New York would be a great choice for Kobe. If I was him that would be the first place I'd consider. It's the next largest media market he could go to from LA and he'd finally bring back championship basketball to the Big Apple.

6thman

Benchwarmer
Wow that's great news but let's be very carefull with that kind of things! But anyway: Houston thank you- Bryant welcome
:)

Swishfm3

Rookie
TrueBlue20 said:
I too am not a Kobe fan and I really don't want to see him in a Knicks uniform at the cost of Allan Houston.
quote]

this is just ridiculous........

You're saying you wouldn't trade Kobe "the greatest two guard playing the game today" Bryant for Allan aka I sleep walk in the 4th QTRaka What's defense? Houston...

Am I the only one that see's something wrong with this statement?????[/i]

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
Swishfm3 said:
TrueBlue20 said:
quote]

this is just ridiculous........

You're saying you wouldn't trade Kobe "the greatest two guard playing the game today" Bryant for Allan aka I sleep walk in the 4th QTRaka What's defense? Houston...

Am I the only one that see's something wrong with this statement?????[/i]

Allan Houston sleep walks in the 4th quarter???? What games have you been watching??? I've seen Houston come up big for the Knicks many times in the fourth quarter. Allan Houston does not shy away from taking big shots to win a game!!!!!!!!

Swishfm3

Rookie
Allan Houston sleep walks in the 4th quarter???? What games have you been watching??? I've seen Houston come up big for the Knicks many times in the fourth quarter. Allan Houston does not shy away from taking big shots to win a game!!!!!!!!

wow...out of all the Knick site I visit..you are the first to ever make a comment like that.

I know some die hard Houston fan but they all know better than to say anything like that....

Houston come up big for the Knicks many times in the fourth quarter. ....thats comical

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
Swishfm3 said:

wow...out of all the Knick site I visit..you are the first to ever make a comment like that.

I know some die hard Houston fan but they all know better than to say anything like that....

Houston come up big for the Knicks many times in the fourth quarter. ....thats comical

We'll always disagree on this one!!!! If you let your dislike of Houston blind you to his play, then there is nothing I can say to that.

Hoagies99

Benchwarmer
I love h20, but i would give him up for kobe, and in addition houston has been huge in many 4th quarters ::thinks back to knicks vs heat in game 5 of playoffs:: houston had been huge, and yeah he isnt a good defender but his offensive talent is huge for this team