Harrington wants to stay...should we keep him?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Al Harrington has been our best player since the trade and he fits D'Antoni's system perfectly. Should we resign him in 2010? If we do, what position should he play if we get Lebron and Bosh?

If we keep Harrington and sign Lebron and Bosh our lineup may look like this:

PG-Duhon
SG-??? maybe Chandler?
SF-Harrington
PF-Lebron
C-Bosh

I like Harrington and think we should resign him, but if we do, someone is going to get left out of the lineup..possibly both Chandler and Lee. What should we do??

http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2008/12/harrington_loves_the_knicks_wa.html
Harrington loves the Knicks; wants to stay with the team past 2010

by David Waldstein/The Star-Ledger
Wednesday December 10, 2008, 10:39 PM

Just before Al Harrington went to the foul line with a chance to match his career high of 40 points with under a minute to play, Tim Thomas warned him that the pressure was now on, and both men laughed.
The Knicks, well on their way to sealing an easy 121-109 victory thanks mostly to the all-Jersey duo that combined for 65 points, had plenty to laugh about last night. Even Harrington, whose missed free throws left him with 39 points, one shy of his career best, (to go with 13 rebounds) could shrug off the lost opportunity.

"It's okay," he said afterward, his head nodding knowingly, "playing in this system, I'm going to have plenty of 40-point nights."

It is within "this system" -- Mike D'Antoni's fast-paced, ball-moving, high-volume shoot-a-thon -- that Harrington believes he can now resurrect his career after months of inaction in Golden State, and even do more.

It has long been Harrington's dream to play for the Knicks, but playing for D'Antoni has been far better than he ever could have dreamed when he was a 14-year-old Knicks fan growing up in Orange, or even as an 18-year-old, first-round draft pick by the Pacers out of St. Patrick's in Elizabeth 10 years ago.

Playing under D'Antoni, Harrington believes, could unlock the key to all those high expectations people had for him when he first entered the NBA.

"I wish I had played under this system when I was young," Harrington said before last night's triumphant debut at the Meadowlands as a Knick. "If I could have played in this system when I was 20 or 22, who knows what I would be?

"I think it's an opportunity where I can show a lot of the promise I had when I was young."

In nine games since being traded by Golden State to the Knicks on Nov. 21, Harrington has averaged 24.7 points and 8.0 rebounds per game, and that includes his 13-point clunker in his first night in the new uniform, where he barely knew where to go on the floor, and only spent 27 befuddled minutes out there trying to figure it out.

Since that first night he has spent extra time in assistant coach Dan D'Antoni's study hall, going over game tapes to better learn the system. Now that he has figured what to do and when -- run the floor, post up and shoot from almost anywhere -- Harrington says the fast paced offensive system that D'Antoni employs has been a revelation to him.

Donnie Walsh, who acquired Harrington for the third time in a trade for Jamal Crawford, also hopes that Harrington may have found the perfect niche in which to carry his career forward again.

"I want him to grow into a top NBA player," Walsh said, "and certainly in Mike's system he's got the opportunity to do that."

So the uniform fits him, and the coach is a dream. Now the task is to hang on and remain on the team after the summer of 2010 when his contract expires and the Knicks look to sign LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh or whomever they can.

Two years is an extremely long time in the NBA, where players and coaches can fall in and out of love with one another in a matter of weeks. But as of now, Harrington says he wants to spend the next two years convincing the Knicks that he should be a part of the team when it could turn the corner in 2010 and beyond.

So far he's convincing a lot of people, and with each passing game, D'Antoni is making Harrington even more of a focal point. Last night he ran more pick-and-roll sets for him, and Harrington responded with his biggest night as a Knick, still so thankful that Walsh rescued him from purgatory in California.

"It pretty much saved my career," he said. "I was pretty down on myself in Golden State over the last year. Being here and playing with these guys and for a coach that's so upbeat and positive at all times, no matter how bad you're doing, it's just huge. It's a blessing in my life."

portega1968

El Cacique
if he's willing to accept an MLE, why not. But not at $10mil per season.

BTW, doesn't he look like a Ninja Turtle with that mouth? TURTLE POWER!!!

Thank God I grabbed him in the waiver wire.

GetRealistic

Starter
I agree with Portega. If he's willing to take a lesser contract in order to stay here then possibly.

But lets see how he plays the rest of this season and next.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Haha! He does look like a Ninja Turtle.

Somebody is going to have to sign under the MLE. I don't know who though. The way Duhon is playing, he should be resigned. We will need a backup PG too...maybe Nash. Plus, we will have to sign other players to fill the roster with pieces to attract Lebron and Bosh. We will have a lot of signing to do. Curry and Jeffries must be moved too.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i would love it if we resign him...if he excepts a 6-8 mill a year contract he'll be a perfect fit for us he's in the perfect place for him to succeed D'Antoni's system allows him to play his game and he wants to play here and its showing in his numbers.....he knows he wont be the guy on this team especially if we sign James and Bosh and he accepts that and i love his game so i wanna kee him loll

Ewing

Benchwarmer
I'd like to have him after 2010, he's a very good athlete and all-around player.
The starting 5, supposing that we get both James and Bosh would be something like this: Duhon (Nash?) James/Chandler/Harrington and Bosh.
But I'd like to re-sign Lee as well, I don't know how much he will ask for a new contract, maybe in the region of 4.5/5 million right?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'd like to have him after 2010, he's a very good athlete and all-around player.
The starting 5, supposing that we get both James and Bosh would be something like this: Duhon (Nash?) James/Chandler/Harrington and Bosh.
But I'd like to re-sign Lee as well, I don't know how much he will ask for a new contract, maybe in the region of 4.5/5 million right?

In D'Antoni's system, I think Lebron would play PF and Harrington would play SF with Bosh at Center. Chandler would have to play SG then. I'm not sure if Chandler has good enough ball-handling skills to be a guard though.

portega1968

El Cacique

No... Lee and Nate were lookin for $10mil.

Donnie wouldve signed them in a heartbeat if it were just $5mil.

portega1968

El Cacique
In D'Antoni's system, I think Lebron would play PF and Harrington would play SF with Bosh at Center. Chandler would have to play SG then. I'm not sure if Chandler has good enough ball-handling skills to be a guard though.

Dantoni sees Chandler as a PF. Thats why he's been guarding the other team's 4s.

I dont know why people insist on making him a SG.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Dantoni sees Chandler as a PF. Thats why he's been guarding the other team's 4s.

I dont know why people insist on making him a SG.

If Lebron and Harrington are on this team in 2010, Chandler will be left out, as well as Lee. Lebron will not be a SG. He's 6'8" and 260 lbs. Harrington is 6'9" and 245 lbs. Chandler is the smallest out of the 3, that's why I suggested he play SG. Most likely Harrington wil play SF and Lebron will play PF in D'Antoni's system.

nyk_nyk

All Star
If Lebron and Harrington are on this team in 2010, Chandler will be left out, as well as Lee. Lebron will not be a SG. He's 6'8" and 260 lbs. Harrington is 6'9" and 245 lbs. Chandler is the smallest out of the 3, that's why I suggested he play SG. Most likely Harrington wil play SF and Lebron will play PF in D'Antoni's system.
Well if this is the case then I guess we wasted a 6th pick on Gallinari. The re-signing of Harrington would pretty much decide Gallinari's future. There is no way he starts over Harrington and he can't play any guard position so he will be a role player. Chandler is ahead of him in NBA experience so he'll be behind him on the depth chart too.

Waste of a 6th pick if this proposed lineup transpires.

KBlack25

Starter
To be honest I never thought Al Harrington had the ability to go off like he did last night. I watched the game with my dad and he thought the same thing. Fact is if this guy likes NY, if he likes the direction this team is heading and is willing to not re-put the team into salary cap hell I have no qualms about signing him to a long term deal. Something tells me though that this guy has character issues and would not hesitate to demand a huge, totally absurd contract. If that's the case he's not worth mortgaging the future. But if he's willing to stay here for a reasonable price, and he understands when the Knicks inevitably sign SOME big free agent (LeBron or not, they'll get somebody) that his numbers might take a hit, that he might not be priority #1, then give him a shot, he's played well for this team so far.

TunerAddict

Starter
If Al Harrington keeps this up, he'll be worthy of more than a mid level exception. Shit, we'd only need to get one max contract guy.

nyk_nyk

All Star
To be honest I never thought Al Harrington had the ability to go off like he did last night. I watched the game with my dad and he thought the same thing. Fact is if this guy likes NY, if he likes the direction this team is heading and is willing to not re-put the team into salary cap hell I have no qualms about signing him to a long term deal. Something tells me though that this guy has character issues and would not hesitate to demand a huge, totally absurd contract. If that's the case he's not worth mortgaging the future. But if he's willing to stay here for a reasonable price, and he understands when the Knicks inevitably sign SOME big free agent (LeBron or not, they'll get somebody) that his numbers might take a hit, that he might not be priority #1, then give him a shot, he's played well for this team so far.
I'm positive Harrington understands the direction they intend to go in for 2010. He's not stupid. He will accept a 5 or 6 mil yr contract and continue to have the opportunity to put up big numbers on some nights. Playing with LBJ doesn't mean you lose touches because he is more than willing to pass to create shots for his teamates.

KBlack25

Starter
I'm positive Harrington understands the direction they intend to go in for 2010. He's not stupid. He will accept a 5 or 6 mil yr contract and continue to have the opportunity to put up big numbers on some nights. Playing with LBJ doesn't mean you lose touches because he is more than willing to pass to create shots for his teamates.

He wanted out of GS because of playing time. If the big free agents cut into Harrington's playing time who is to say he won't want out later?

New New York

Quiet Storm
I think the one thing that is apparent about Dantoni's offense is that it is going to make any player look that much better (see Chris Duhon,Tim Thomas,Zach Randolph,Shawn Marion etc.). So as good as Harrington looks, take any B level PF in this league who can shoot and he should do equally as well as Harrintong is doing. I like Harrington I think he is a good player and very tough, but, I can see Danillo playing a very similar role once he learns The NBA. But in 2010 he would have had two years of playing in the system, so that is should be a factor in keeping him since everyone is expecting a huge roster make over in two years with all of our cap. But like someone said, he is happy now getting all these shots,minutes and being one of the main focal points of the offense how does he take to taking a backseat? And also like someone pointed out he is going to have to take MLE money, imagine if his numbers stay the same as they are now he may think he is worth a big pay day, he may think resigning him is the big move for The Knicks to make in 2010!

You know what I just realized... he has the option to opt out at the end of this season, this season under Dantoni may make him look good enough for a team to offer him an multi year deal which he cant at all count on getting from The Knicks, this could get interesting! Lets just say a team matches what the Knicks pay him next year, and offer him maybe two more seasons after that, he would be foolish to turn it down considering The Knicks may not have him in their plans

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
"It pretty much saved my career," he said. "I was pretty down on myself in Golden State over the last year. Being here and playing with these guys and for a coach that's so upbeat and positive at all times, no matter how bad you're doing, it's just huge. It's a blessing in my life."

As the article said, 2 years is a long time in the NBA. In 2 years, Harrington will be 30 years old with 12 years in the league under his belt.

Al is pouring in 25ppg and 8 rpg and has an opt out clause on his contract at the conclusion of this year. This is the last time he will possibly be enticed by a team waving some serious Johnny Ca$h in his face.

The Knicks can't realistically offer him more than $8m/year with the future in mind.

At 25 & 8, he's worth a lot to teams like Charlotte and OKC. If they were to offer him $12m/year then he's gone.

I'm already a fan. I don't know if he's going to be loyal to the orange and blue when there's gonna be green staring him in the face. A lot of Green.

Offering Al, Lee & N8 $8m/year each for 4 years with beneficial clauses for the Knicks would be magnificent.

I'm pretty sure we'll lose at least 1 or perhaps 2 out of the 3 thanks to George Washington.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
i basically agree with every1 here, first lets not jump the gun to early, and proclaim harrington a consistent 25 pt, 8 reb guy. but i kno he'll have some gaudy numbers thx to this system. if he keeps playin at a level near to what he is playin i would be estatic if we signed him to a good 8mil or less deal. but i see him askin for me especially if he puts up big numbers. well i hope he continues his stellar play and helps our playoff push