Bronx man shot by cops.

metrocard

Legend
Family outraged at police shooting of Bronx man defending daughter with bat

BY MATT LYSIAK AND ALISON GENDAR
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 11:35 AM

Police investigate the scene of the Bronx shooting outside of 2710 Bainbridge Ave.

The bat allegedly wielded by Alex Figueroa.

A Bronx man who was defending his teenage daughter was shot and killed by cops last night after he allegedly charged at them with a baseball bat, police sources said.

The victim, identified by sources as Alex Figueroa, was shot once in the chest shortly before midnight yesterday and died at St. Barnabas hospital, police said.

Figueroa's family was outraged by the shooting.

"The police are liars. My husband didn't move - and now they are going to pay for what they did,"

said
Figueroa's distraught wife, Sandra. "I was standing right next to him when they shot him dead. He had his arms at his side. He was doing nothing."

Officers were called to 2710 Bainbridge Avenue just before midnight for a report of a man with a gun, police said. Figueroa had gone to a fourth-floor apartment armed with a bat to confront his daughter's boyfriend, police and the victim's family said.

"The two men upstairs were disrespectful to my daughter - very disrespectful - and my husband went up there to defend her," the victim's wife said.

Police sources said Figueroa was enraged, screaming and swinging the bat. When officers from the Bronx' 52nd Precinct arrived, they told Figueroa to freeze and drop the bat. Instead, Figueroa lunged and swung at them, police sources said. One cop fire one round, striking Figueroa in the chest.

"Police didn't say freeze - they didn't say nothing - they just shot a man with a baseball bat,' the victim's wife countered.

"My husband was a church-going man. We moved to this country two years ago to pursue the American dream and look what happened to us - look what we get."

This happened right around my block.
Its kinda scary how any little thing can get you killed by cops in NYC.
If I'm ever in a situation like that I'll just get on my knees and make sure I'm distant from any object that is a "threat" to cops, despite the fact they're completely equipped with all types of weapons and out number a person.
****ing puercos.

metrocard

Legend
Why would a grown ass man come at the cops swinging a bat, while they got their guns out.
It makes no sense.

Paul1355

All Star
A family member of mine is getting screwed by the cops and the law presently, so any story like this is not a shock to me. This family is going to sew the hell out of the whole department. These cops are so trigger happy because they have nothing else to do with their pathetic lives but give bullshyt tickets and put their lights and sirens on when they just want to beat traffic and avoid the traffic lights. This sounds like BS from the cops point of view because if anyone has experienced something with the law, they know that cops turn these stories around to the press. And the family is distraught no matter who was guilty in this because the father was shot, but you don't shoot a man with a bat, unless it's a gun that can kill you, a weapon should not be fired. That's why cops have mace and batons and melee weapons. So stories like this don't occur, but cops abuse their power and stories like this will always occur untill they get sewed for it.

TunerAddict

Starter
Can't trust either side.

Cops can be covering it up OR the family can be making shit up so they can sue for money.

Yes, sue. Not sew, sewing is when you use thread and a needle to connect fabrics together.

Show me evidence before I pick a side. I'm not one to jump to conclusions without any evidence.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
eh you can tell wife is lying cause why would the cops just come and shoot a man with a bat? im SURE they would have said freeze before they shot and why would he go swinging at them like a lunatic while they have there guns out.

2 things that dont make sense to me is y would a cop just not say anything and just shoot the man AND y would the guy go out swinging when they had there guns out ladies twisting the truth

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
this so typical of the nypd they so trigger happy with this shit......they could see my wallet hanging and they would shot me over it pathetic.......I just got a summons for possesion of alchol and it wasn't even my car .....f&@k the cops

Paul1355

All Star
Can't trust either side.

Cops can be covering it up OR the family can be making shit up so they can sue for money.

Yes, sue. Not sew, sewing is when you use thread and a needle to connect fabrics together.

Show me evidence before I pick a side. I'm not one to jump to conclusions without any evidence.

lol whatever this isn't spelling class

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
If you call 911, with a story about a gun being present at an altercation, you can't really blame it on the cops, if someone ends up getting shot, though I think the cops acted inappropriately. I think the NYPD should pay the family, for the tragedy. I mean, they probably lost their breadwinner, as a result of this thing, but I don't think it would be fair to lock one of these cops up, under the circumstances.

Definitely, though, the cop was wrong to shoot this guy, when all he had was a bat in his hands. He should have used his baton, or some pepper spray, to get the guy subdued. Bottom line, it's a tragedy. I don't want to bash all cops, though, because there are plenty of good cops, who protect the citizens of this city.