Another rumor on Lee

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Seems Nuggets were offering two first round draft picks + Chucky Atkins for D-Lee, but we wanted Kleiza instead of Chucky

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090103-04

Nuggets' picks would probably be low, but i sure wouldnt mind having a few of them, considering that we don't have so many in the future...

If they don't want to give Kleiza+picks, maybe we could ask Chucky+picks+they take Jeffries or Curry? Nuggets aren't going under cap till 2011 anyway, so it's not like Curry/Jeffries hurt their future

Toons

is the Bo$$
Seems Nuggets were offering two first round draft picks + Chucky Atkins for D-Lee, but we wanted Kleiza instead of Chucky

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090103-04

Nuggets' picks would probably be low, but i sure wouldnt mind having a few of them, considering that we don't have so many in the future...

If they don't want to give Kleiza+picks, maybe we could ask Chucky+picks+they take Jeffries or Curry? Nuggets aren't going under cap till 2011 anyway, so it's not like Curry/Jeffries hurt their future

nah, with billups steering denver, they are looking to playoff births, their picks will never be lottery ....kleizas defense is good, hes a hard nosed white boy, but we already have lee who is still improving

horrible trade

GetRealistic

Starter
Donnie has to really do his homework and see if he truly believes he can sign DLee to a resonable contract. Because if Lee wants big time money this trade sounds like an absolute great idea. If Lee who very well may get big money on the open market leaves after this season we beter get something of value for him.

Kleiza and two first round picks is something i think we cant turn down. We have no first round pick next season so adding a pick next season would be nice, also having two first round picks this season would help us have he flexibility to combine the picks and move up in the draft.

Also Denver's pick this season will not be a lottery but you never no what next seasons pick will be. If Carmelo or Billups have a serious injury Denver becomes an average team, and we may luck into a 2010 lottery pick.

GetRealistic

Starter
With his age and inflated stats due to this system i'd expect him to want much more then 4 years 25 million. I'd expect him to be seeking 8-9 million a year which may very well be to much for a power forward who plays absolutely no defense.

Two first round picks and a player of Klieza abilities is atleast worth thinkin about. If he wants to take a home town discount thats one thing, but if he wants to test the open market and get his money (which i wouldn't blame him for) we better get something in return and not just let him walk.

Easier ability to resign Nate
Klieza
09 first round pick
10 first round pick

for

David Lee

Atleast worth exploring

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
i don't think we can get much more for Lee - dont forget that other teams are worried about his free agency too
Noone is going to throw high lottery picks at us!

2 picks in 20-26 range is a good value. There's been so many good players in that range over the years. Most of Spurs players are 20-30 picks. even Lee was pick 30 himself.

Besides, the market for picks is much higher than for rotation players waiting for big money. We can use those picks to sweeten any deal that includes Curry or Jeffries

If u read the link, report has it that D-Lee for Kleiza+picks was KNICKS offer, not Denver's. Denver thinks it's too much. Personally i dont care which player is included next to those picks, since Kleiza will want new deal this summer too.
If it's Chucky i dont mind, we need a guard. The key are the picks.
If it's Kleiza, great, he's had his best games as small ball PF. The market for that kind of player isn't huge, so we could probably resign him for 4-6 mil a year in summer.
But the key here are picks.

New New York

Quiet Storm
This is similar to The Zach Randolph situation in that Donnie cant look too eager to move Lee, but in actuality he has to move either he or Nate. We currently have 23 million on The Books for 2010, now add atleast 10 million on to retain Lee and Nate and now we are at 33 million with only 27 to spend on FA's. So Donnie has to make one more move, now if Curry returns and looks good it looks like there is some interest in him in Charlotte, and I can see Memphis taking a look at him in a deal for Milic and another player.

I like the two picks in this proposal, but Chucky Atkins for David Lee leaves a gap at the PF position. I suppose Curry could come back and he and Al could be our new frontcourt. The two picks could be used in a trade package later on....I would only do this trade as a last option

Something to consider is that David Lee is attractive now because of how he produces for his salary, once he signs his new contract his value will drop somewhat, so now is as good a time to trade him as any.

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
no, i want D-LEE here in NY. its not my decision but we should sign this guy for a monster contract and keep him, same with nate. LEE has proved his worth, especially so far this season, hes played outta position and hasnt complained, i live in Denver and LEE for picks and atkins isnt worth it all, i wouldnt even trade him if we got kleiza instead.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
i'm not too familiar with Klieza, or what his contract deal is...but Dlee seems to be the only guy that plays relatively well on a consistent basis for us, but then again his D isn't the best.. idk what good we'd get trading him for this guy..Dlee's averageing like 5 pts better a game so unless it saves us money i'm not sure the point...if we have to pick between dlee and nate, as much as i like lee, i'd have to go with nate...if we can rope curry into anything we should do it..but no trades like this should be done if the contracts don't expire before FA yr or too much money

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
I used to be very high on David Lee and thought by this time he would be a better passer and defender. His rebounding has always been there and his jumper is getting better. However, I would not sign Lee to a 5 yr 50 mil contract. He ain't no Tom Gugliotta, lol one of my favorite players of all time. That was a complete player worthy of money like that. I would trade Lee now and we know is a matter of time before they do it. Same with Nate, do you think the Knicks finally get under the cap in 2010 to jeopardize the future for two role players. What is the obsession with Lee and Nate, cuz I don't see it. Both players are replaceable and Nate's dancing before games is something that I hate and is so unprofessional. I want both traded for picks and expiring deals even if the picks are late 1st round before the trade deadline. Guys, finishing with 40 wins this year and making the playoffs will be horrible for us. We need to win 29-31 and get a Top 8 pick in '09 draft. I want a freaking championship not just be good. :thumbsup:

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
This team is essentially disintegrating, before our very eyes, and, when offers are finally made to Lebron, Wade or Bosh, there's not going to be much of a team for them to play with. And, as has been said, by numerous members of the sports media, the Knicks need to have a decent team, if they're going to attract big talent. Why would anyone, after all, want to be the best player on a shitty team?

I don't think of Lee as unexpendable, by the way, but we need to keep a solid core of players, in order to attract one or more of those big 2010 prospects. Lee is certainly the type of player that could attract players to us. I'd say Duhon, Chandler and Nate Robinson are integral to that core, in addition to whomever else we can keep from amongst the likes of Lee or maybe Al Harrington, who might make a decent third or fourth option.

I thought, like a few other posters: ABCD and MSG, for example, that, this year, we had a decent team, finally, ala 2003, when we had Nazr Mohammed at center, that could have competed for a playoff spot. But, ironically, just like 2003, we traded the main contributers to that possibility: Zach and Crawford.

I know that we need a top caliber player, in order to become an elite team, but, for now, I would have settled for winning, some real self-esteem. We could have kept Crawford and Zach, and, instead of the skeleton of a team we've been left with, have simply saved that money for the signing of a real leader for our team, preferably Dwyane Wade, whom I consider the best player in the league.

Oh, well... I'm not the GM.

Last edited:

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
I actually am in favor of trading Lee. Don't get me wrong I am a D-Lee fan and I wish him luck where ever he goes ,but we have a surplus at forward spot. We need some guards. If we can snag Bayliss or Rodriguez and a first that would be great. We get a young guard with potential and we will now have 2 good draft picks in this year's draft.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I used to be very high on David Lee and thought by this time he would be a better passer and defender. His rebounding has always been there and his jumper is getting better. However, I would not sign Lee to a 5 yr 50 mil contract. He ain't no Tom Gugliotta, lol one of my favorite players of all time. That was a complete player worthy of money like that. I would trade Lee now and we know is a matter of time before they do it. Same with Nate, do you think the Knicks finally get under the cap in 2010 to jeopardize the future for two role players. What is the obsession with Lee and Nate, cuz I don't see it. Both players are replaceable and Nate's dancing before games is something that I hate and is so unprofessional. I want both traded for picks and expiring deals even if the picks are late 1st round before the trade deadline. Guys, finishing with 40 wins this year and making the playoffs will be horrible for us. We need to win 29-31 and get a Top 8 pick in '09 draft. I want a freaking championship not just be good. :thumbsup:

I think you are correct.

The obsession with Lee and Nate is a function of the team being so horrible.

They are two of the best players on the team and they are young. So most people have very inflated views of their skill.

This is not meant to knock either player, but Nate is still an "off the bench" sparkplug type player and IMO will always be that.

Lee is still a borderline starter or dynamite 6th man. He gets the boards and scores low double digits efficiently, but he can't block shots and his defense is weak. He's not a total package PF that deserves big dollars or even starters minutes unless he's used with a certain type of Center than can make up for his dificiencies.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I actually am in favor of trading Lee. Don't get me wrong I am a D-Lee fan and I wish him luck where ever he goes ,but we have a surplus at forward spot. We need some guards. If we can snag Bayliss or Rodriguez and a first that would be great. We get a young guard with potential and we will now have 2 good draft picks in this year's draft.

Co-Sign:thumbsup:

theres a newer rumor about them "getting serious" about David Lee, if the give us aldridge, Fernandez, Outlaw or Bayless packaged with a pick or so i'd take it

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56375/20090104/sources_blazers_getting_serious_for_david_lee/
i don't see why they'd want bayless.he's talented but he just doesn't fit to me.he's a combo guard.we need an actual shooting guard.duhon and nate should be our points.i wouldn't even care for aldridge which they won't actually trade.(atleast i don't think so).
fernandez would light up msg daily.god i hope it's fernandez.

duhon
fernandez
chandler
harrington- gallinari
curry?:alert:
sounds fine to me.
but that's the problem with trading dave man.
he kinda feels like our actual franchise player.
i would hate to see him go.

JayJ44

Starter
theres a newer rumor about them "getting serious" about David Lee, if the give us aldridge, Fernandez, Outlaw or Bayless packaged with a pick or so i'd take it

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56375/20090104/sources_blazers_getting_serious_for_david_lee/

If we can get Bayless and a 1st rounder, then definitely pull the trigger. Bayless is a great scorer, but he can still play the point. Plus, he'd be great in this system. I think he'll be kinda like Monta Ellis, but a better PG. Unfortunately, real gm is never accurate, hope I'm wrong though. I would definitely be cool with Fernandez too. :pray:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
bayless and a first rounder would be great for us in the future

Bayless/Nate(6th man)
?/
Chandler/Gallo
Harrington/
Monroe(draft him)/

or instead of harrington we sign someone like Amare or Bosh, just complete the bench and were straight

we could also have Chandler at the 2 and Gallo at the 3

rollingstone

Benchwarmer

aldridge + pick or rudy + pick is of course not happening, Blazers arent that stupid. Outlaw adds to our SF logjam + i dont think he's available.

but Bayless + pick is very interesting, in the worst case we have a pick and a cheap combo till 2010. In the best case, if he develops, we can have him cheap till 2012.
If Bayless plays well, we can use him to make another deal next year, possibly to move Curry.
I'd sign on this one, although Kleiza+ 2 picks would be better