Is 50 wins an acceptable sacrifice for long term glory?

DanL

Rookie
Is 50 losses an acceptable sacrifice for long term glory?

According to Steve Adamek, Marc Berman tried today to box in Mike D'Antoni by asking him if 50 losses is an acceptable outcome this season in light of the trades, if it means that the Knicks can compete for the title relatively soon. Mike took a roundabout path, but basically said, yes, and we aren't going to be pressured to abandon the long-term plan in order to be OK short-term.

What do you guys think.

UPDATE: THE TITLE SHOULD SAY 50 LOSES. I can't figure out how to edit the title...
UPDATE 2: UPDATE ONE SHOULD SAY 50 LOSSES.

Last edited:

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
I agree with you and think they are doing the right thing by thinking long term.

I would just add, had Mobley not gone down we'd probably be in a better position right now because we would have had another able body to get minutes and give rest to others and we would also have the SG and scoring we need to replace Crawford.

(PS: I like your blog)

Last edited:

DanL

Rookie
Thanks Stallion. We value your frequent comments. We think of you as one of our most intelligent commenters.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I agree with Dantoni 1000%. Look Isiah Thomas made a lot of quick fix type moves that resulted in us being good enough to get swept in the first round of the playoffs his first season here. Most smart Knick fans know we are not going to win a significant amount of games this year, now if the wins come then great, but, no need to rush things.

In my opinion I would like to see us finish 37-45 this season. I think that is respectable enough for his first season with us.

But lets say we finish with only 32 wins (50 losses Fat Boy Berman eluded to) then we are in a decent lottery position and we will likely be a better team next year. So no need to win anything right now, Dantoni has us competitive and that is good enough for now.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
The season is over at 13-20. Why make the Playoffs as the 8th seed with a losing record? To get swept by Boston or Cleveland?

I rather win 25 and have a chance to add Blake Griffin, James Harden or Hasheem Thabeet.

On a positive note, we are 5-15 since the trades.

I can deal with another losing season as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel! 2010 baby here we come! I would like to tank this season, get a great draft pick this summer, make strides in improvment next season with Gallo,Wilson, our new draft pick... and hopefully Lee :), make the playoffs in 09-10 and be set up with a nice core of player's and bench to lure at least 1 superstar to NY (Joe Johnson) along with a 1A type talent (Tyson Chandler) and for good balance sign a Vet leader with the MLE that can be an extention of our Coach that can lead from the bench,floor,locker room and improve our team (Nash) THAT'S WHY I CAN WAIT............... HOPE!

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Since we sacrificed some 400-500 losses for nothing in the last decade, 50 losses for "long term glory" is a good price :)

the record of the teams in the last five drafts that ended up with the number 1 pick.
the bulls 33-49 drafted rose
the blazers 32-50 drafted oden
the raptors 27-55 drafted bargnani
the bucks 30-52 drafted bogut
the magic 21-61, drafted howard
so if we ended up with 29 wins more or less, and 53 loses more or less
we'll have a damn good shot at rubio.so yeah, it is.we'll just get blasted if we make the playoffs.

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Since we sacrificed some 400-500 losses for nothing in the last decade, 50 losses for "long term glory" is a good price :)
Couldnt agree more... For a franchise that has been in turmoil for so long what good would one relatively good season be sandwiched in between losing seasons? We have to build for the future...