"The Message"...influences of hip-hop/rap music

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
exactly sly but you see you gotta listen to both types of rap, the "I aint mad at cha" and the "Lollipop" you'll see a hue difference in the music and listening to Nas, Biggie, Tupac, Jay-z make you wanna throw up when u listen to todays hiphop it's way to commercialized nowadays and no one does it with a passion anymore, I dont get the same feeling listening to todays hits and the songs by greats like Tupac and Biggie...not the same feeling you could hear it in the music...

What's a waste is how these wack rappers rap their bad rhymes on these good beats. If the old school emcees had what these fools have, all their songs would of been classics. Too much looping back in the day.

A song that made me want to punch the DJ was hurricane chris' "hey baybay". First time I heard that shit I actually thought it was some fool that had paid the DJ to play his song. I was like "why you gotta kill the vibe for?!"

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I actually wrote a paper for school about the influences of rap music and its effect on the communities from which the rappers themselves come from. I also just bought a book (I'm not too far into it yet) called "The Hip Hop Wars" where it talks about the media's attack on hip hop culture.

The problem is that much of mainstream media does not understand rap or where the lyrics are coming from. Some may sound violent, but I specifically cited in my paper a song from the newest Mobb Deep album (I know, it's G-Unit Mobb Deep and not the real Mobb but it still has a lot of relevance), in which Prodigy I believe claims he feels left deserted by God in the hood and his projects. He says he will beat God down if he doesn't get into heaven because he was given no signs he was being watched over by Him and felt left alone. The issue is that white mainstream media (see: Bill O'Reilly) will claim this shows a violent nature. My paper basically was about not that the violent rap lyrics created violent and destitute neighborhoods, but rather that the violent and destitute neigborhoods create the violent lyrics. What white mainstream media fails to understand is a lot of the violence set forth in rap lyrics is a reflection of the neighborhoods in which people grew up. I cited Russel Simmons who criticized the government's war on rap stating that the government should, rather than attack the people talking about violence, attack the source of why the rappers see violence and destitution in their neighborhoods.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment on this board, that the south especially has watered down rap but it's actually a lot deeper than that. There is still rap out there that purports reflections on society. The problem is that white record executives want to sell an oversexualized black male and female image, that reflects partying and drinking and sexual promiscuity because it is a caricature of the black man. The white man holds the key to record sales, as most record execs are white (even if black people own the label, distributors are primarily white). Rather than sign people who have disdain for the the system and would look to revolutionize black people's roles in society (and thus limit white people's power over society), they will sign people they think will sell record, promote "club songs" and videos that keep the black rapper in a subservient position. I don't know if any body has heard Skills' 2008 Rap Up, but in it he makes a statement about the rap scene in general, making fun of T-Pain:

And y'all in his lane
with songs like "OHHH We Pop Champagne"
So Imma say this quick: We in a recession
Stop Lying
Y'all ain't poppin shit

If you haven't heard the Skills Rap Up get on that shit, it's hot and he's actually got a good message like "It's a time for a change/so don't go turnin inaguration into an all-star game/let's act right/and show these kids/we can turn yes we can into yes we did".

There's is rap with a message out there, but don't expect to hear it on the radio.

Kblack, I think its safe to say that these rappers won't be discussed in college lectures. As for the other point you brought up, the record execs sign rappers that will bring them money. If sounding like ignorant mofos is what's hot right now they will sign 'em. Its really up to the rapper to decide if this is the type of artist he wants to be. And that decision becomes easier when they see all that cash that's to be made by making songs for partying.

Back in the day, rappers weren't making that much money for a reason. Because it wasn't mainstream. Not cause they sucked. Today its the other way around.

Akamu

The King
Its cool to hear all the different points that are being made. Point of views that explain how rap has devolved throughout the years.

Prince and Akamu, what I got from what you guys were saying was that rap music aint what it used to be, and how y'all had the option to listen to the classic joints. But a lot of the kids these days don't have that option because they don't know about the music you guys know about. Same goes for these new pop rappers. Most of them are not influenced by the great MC's of the early 90's because they were not exposed to good music.

The first time I heard Illmatic in its entirety was in 2002, my freshman year of college. And it was because I was first discovering all this great music from a decade ago. Nobody said to me "here, listen to this". The point I'm getting at is to influence the youth, by showing them that there's actually great music underneath all this bubblegum rap that's out now. Only then will hip-hop/rap music flourish once again.

Well I gain influence from a lot of different types of music. From rap/hip hop I'd have to say it's always been music I would play when I wanted to forget about things, in saying that it has influenced me to be tough under serious circumstances.

From club tracks to just plain degrading stuff, one of the few rappers I didn't mind doing that was the down south rapper "Lil John". That's his specialty, he's always been known for that and said it himself he makes music to make people want to rock the fucc out in the club. I'm fine with that cause he does a good job at it, came out with a lot of stuff that I played a lot and he's hilarious.

It's jus that a majority of rappers will try and use that formula to propell their careers that makes it annoying. But even so there still some artists you don't hear about that come out with powerful stuff, example that I like to use "Paris"

It's whatever, as long as people like and buy into the garbage that souljaboy and others like him produce, that's the kinda music we will hear-

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
speaking of how hip-hop is going downhill, with all the fake shit

other then Jay-z and Nas(cause they legends and still nice)

this dude is the best dudes gonna blow up(no homo), and he's real

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Well I gain influence from a lot of different types of music. From rap/hip hop I'd have to say it's always been music I would play when I wanted to forget about things, in saying that it has influenced me to be tough under serious circumstances.

From club tracks to just plain degrading stuff, one of the few rappers I didn't mind doing that was the down south rapper "Lil John". That's his specialty, he's always been known for that and said it himself he makes music to make people want to rock the fucc out in the club. I'm fine with that cause he does a good job at it, came out with a lot of stuff that I played a lot and he's hilarious.

It's jus that a majority of rappers will try and use that formula to propell their careers that makes it annoying. But even so there still some artists you don't hear about that come out with powerful stuff, example that I like to use "Paris"

It's whatever, as long as people like and buy into the garbage that souljaboy and others like him produce, that's the kinda music we will hear-

Yea I don't mind listening to songs that are party tracks. Its just that when that's all people listen to, it kills your mind. It makes you more ignorant and you're not as open to other types of music. I also listen to reggaton yet I'm not blasting it all day everyday. Only oldschool stuff.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i like a good party track like, Low by Flo-Rida, Akon joints, etc they nice to get loose to on the dance floor(no homo)

but some of the best are old-school

Party Up-DMX

Hypnotize-Notorious B.I.G

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
i like a good party track like, Low by Flo-Rida, Akon joints, etc they nice to get loose to on the dance floor(no homo)

but some of the best are old-school

Party Up-DMX

Hypnotize-Notorious B.I.G

Yea, I agree. The old school rappers that were doing party tracks were more well-rounded artists. Artists that people respected. These new guys not so much

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
all you need is a song with a catchy beat and chorus, shitty verses and add a nice dance to it and you got yourself a hit song my friend

a la "soulja boy"...

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
all you need is a song with a catchy beat and chorus, shitty verses and add a nice dance to it and you got yourself a hit song my friend

a la "soulja boy"...

Of course, bro. but are they that stupid to not realize that they won't last as long because they're one-dimensional?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i think soulja boy knows that loll, i still remember when Ice-T called out soulja boy he told you aint shit, cant rap your music suck and your a disgrace, and Ice-T's a legend

all soulja could say you old man, lmao its pretty funny actually

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Lol on ice-t calling out soulja girl. Yo, I don't know who's worse soulja or that other fool he chills with. What's his name? You know, that guy that's as black as wesley snipes

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
is that the dude a-rab?...cause one of his boys came out in one of his songs with that name loll, they both suck, and should have never gotten a record deal..

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I'm not too familiar with their names but I remember that he had a song called "get silly" (???), not sure though. At night that ***** doesn't have to run from the cops, all he has to do is close his eyes lol

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
ROFLMAO:teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth: , soulja boy should just stop rapping cause with every song he makes he's making himself worse and worse, at this point he's so bad he cant possibly get any worse he's horrible

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Its funny how these fake rappers can put out albums because they're commercial and a guy like Q-tip makes an album (kammal the abstract) and does not even drop because its "uncommercial". I was listenning to some tracks on "kammal the abstract" (made in 2000) and I was amazed. It had all different types of sounds. A lot of jazz influenced beats and also some rock.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Q-Tip got some skill he's really underrated its a shame because he's a real artist and produces real shit, speaks the truth, while guys like Soulja Boy makes money for rapping about bapes , and doing the superman

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Have yall heard about this?

ROFLMAO:teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth: , soulja boy should just stop rapping cause with every song he makes he's making himself worse and worse, at this point he's so bad he cant possibly get any worse he's horrible

Soulja boy is killin his own career. Hes nothing but a one hit wonder bitch.

BTW, have any of you guys seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dif4dyNcYls

Sorry idk how to actually put it up on the post

But soulja boy has the guts to say that shit about Nas,
A fake ass mainstream bitch dissing one of the greatest, if not the greatest....

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Soulja boy is killin his own career. Hes nothing but a one hit wonder bitch.

BTW, have any of you guys seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dif4dyNcYls

Sorry idk how to actually put it up on the post

But soulja boy has the guts to say that shit about Nas,
A fake ass mainstream bitch dissing one of the greatest, if not the greatest....

Thanks for the post, street dreams(...are made of these/bitches on their knees for niggas with big cheese...), that idiot soulja boy just shows you the ignorance that many little kids have about rap music. Saying that he respect little wayne for saying that he's the greatest rapper alive...lmao. Just cuz that niqqa sold 1mil?! F*ck outta here! You can clearly see that Nas got to him because he talks about him during the whole video. Even when he changes topics, he still goes back to Nas at the end.