"The Message"...influences of hip-hop/rap music

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Tupac was a great emcee that influenced many throughout the world. But the only album that I've actually listened to completely was "strickly for my niggaz". And also some other of his hits. Can anyone elaborate on his music and life? You know, like back stories and stuff like that.

Sorry bro, this aint my specialty. I don't know much about 2pac either. They had a biography movie thing on vh1 a few months ago though...

JayJ44

Starter
Tupac was a great emcee that influenced many throughout the world. But the only album that I've actually listened to completely was "strickly for my niggaz". And also some other of his hits. Can anyone elaborate on his music and life? You know, like back stories and stuff like that.

I know his mother was a member of the Black Panthers. And he was really close friends with Will Smith's wife when they were young, they went to the same school. That's pretty much all I know about him lol.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I know his mother was a member of the Black Panthers. And he was really close friends with Will Smith's wife when they were young, they went to the same school. That's pretty much all I know about him lol.

forreal? I didnt know that.

Lol. i dont follow the west coast scene too much. Im guessing most people here don't either

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Streets and jay, I actually have heard from the same sources. But being from NY has made me east coast biased. Didn't really try to hear tupacs or any other west coast mc.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Streets and jay, I actually have heard from the same sources. But being from NY has made me east coast biased. Didn't really try to hear tupacs or any other west coast mc.

Im biased too. But west coast aint all bad. Certain sources (GTA San Andreas, memories.....) introduced me to gangsta rap wayy back, about 4-5 years ago. I respect the music, it really is good, but it doesn't impress me alot. Most of it has the mainstream vibe, like "Nothin But a G Thang". Don't get me wrong, i like it, but unlike east coast rap, it gets old much faster. It fades away. It doesn't have much of an illmatic vibe at all.

However, one definite classic from the west: "Express Yourself"- NWA
A song all of yall must have heard at least once in your lifetime. Never gets old. Instant Classic.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
As good as some westcoast rap is, its still not touchin new york. And neither is the south...or Chicago...or all them combined.

NY >>>>>>>>>>

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Thought i wanted to mention this....

Ok so i was on myspace reading this chick's survey bulletin, and i saw this:

Favorite Song?
any lil wayne or jonas brothers

I literally just yelled out "ANTICHRIST!!!!" and now my parents think i'm like high or something.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Ok so i was on myspace reading this chick's survey bulletin, and i saw this:

Favorite Song?
any lil wayne or jonas brothers

I literally just yelled out "ANTICHRIST!!!!" and now my parents think i'm like high or something.

Lmao. That's how it is right now. People don't really stand for anything that is real. They go with the flow. Can't think for themselves.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone listen to Gang Starr, Jeru The Damaja, stuff like that?

I'm starting to get into it

Gangstarr has got to be the greatest duo in the history of hiphop music. I got to see Guru live last year and if anyone gets the chance to go to one of his jazzmatazz shows should not miss it for the world!

my fav Jeru's songs is el presidente with DJ Honda. i missed two times the opportunity of seeing him.. :|

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Gangstarr has got to be the greatest duo in the history of hiphop music. I got to see Guru live last year and if anyone gets the chance to go to one of his jazzmatazz shows should not miss it for the world!

Going to a live show must be hot. Never got a chance to see rappers onstage. I do hear that the energy and vibe of most shows is crazy.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I just heard this song, this is what modern rap is supposed to be....

Hopped up off tha bed
Turn ma swag on
Took a look in tha mirror said wassup
Yeeeeea I'm gettin money (ohh) x2

Turn ma swag on,
It's ma turn now turn it up
Yeeeeea, yeeeeea
I put my team on, and ma theme song
Now it's time to turn it up
Yeeeeea, yeeeea

I got a question why they hattin on me,
I got a question why they hattin on me