Lee will most likely stay a Knick

JayJ44

Starter
HOUSTON - Put the trade talk involving David Lee to rest for now. The Knicks might be more inclined to try to re-sign the popular forward rather than deal him before the Feb. 19 trade deadline, according to multiple sources.

Lee, the 30th overall draft pick in 2005, ranks fifth in the NBA with 11.2 rebounds per game, has recorded a double-double in 20 of the last 23 games and has emerged as one of Mike D'Antoni's most important players.

Lee will be a restricted free agent this summer after the Knicks were unable to come to an agreement on a contract extension before the start of the season. It is believed that Lee, who will make $1.7 million this season, was seeking about $10 million per season in a new deal.

With the focus on having salary-cap space for 2010, Donnie Walsh wasn't inclined to give out lavish raises off a 23-win team. But after watching Lee for almost half a season, Walsh has told confidants that he has changed his mind about Lee.
<!-- google ads --><!-- END google ads -->

<!-- END rail -->
"Unless someone blows them away with a trade," one source said, "[Lee] was told the preference is to sign him to a long-term extension."

One way the Knicks - who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday - can fit Lee into the budget and still have potentially more than $40 million in salary-cap space for the summer of 2010 is to trade Eddy Curry, who will make $11.2 million in 2010-11. Of course, Walsh also has to make a decision on Nate Robinson, the team's other restricted free agent this summer.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spkbox105993880jan10,0,6969922.story

JayJ44

Starter
I agree, he's probably our most important player right now. Hopefully we can get him for less than 10 million though. 8 million and under would be great.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
My two greatest wishes for the remainder of this year are:

1.) Trade Curry for expiring contract so we can keep Lee

2.) See Gallo get healthy and start lighting it up by the end of the year

Great news! We really have to move Jeffries or Curry ASAP. We've all been talking about pairing Lee with a bad contract to get rid of some of our "bad" contracts, what are the chances we do the same with Nate?

Nate and Jeffries for Lamar Odom?..... Kobe likes Nate and I'm sure a lot of other GM's/Teams around the leage would love to have a high energy, fan friendly, ticket draw like Nasty Nate. Just throwing it out there?

JayJ44

Starter
Great news! We really have to move Jeffries or Curry ASAP. We've all been talking about pairing Lee with a bad contract to get rid of some of our "bad" contracts, what are the chances we do the same with Nate?

Nate and Jeffries for Lamar Odom?..... Kobe likes Nate and I'm sure a lot of other GM's/Teams around the leage would love to have a high energy, fan friendly, ticket draw like Nasty Nate. Just throwing it out there?

I don't think Nate will be enough to get people to take our bad contracts. No way the Lakers make that trade. If they move Odom, it'll be for someone who really pushes them over the top to make them an elite team. Such as Shawn Marion, maybe Hedo Turkoglu, guys that can be used as good 2nd or 3rd options.

Paul1355

All Star
My two greatest wishes for the remainder of this year are:

1.) Trade Curry for expiring contract so we can keep Lee

2.) See Gallo get healthy and start lighting it up by the end of the year

:agreed:

Curry has been a waste and now that he is back...he has to get in shape. Give me a break Eddy.

Knicks should just trade this guy...if he does great when he comes back, which most of us doubt, then use that as trade bait to get rid of his huge contract.

He is too slow to be on this team. We need athletic big men that can block shots and get some rebounds...Curry doesn't qualify right now.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
HOUSTON - Put the trade talk involving David Lee to rest for now. The Knicks might be more inclined to try to re-sign the popular forward rather than deal him before the Feb. 19 trade deadline, according to multiple sources.

Lee, the 30th overall draft pick in 2005, ranks fifth in the NBA with 11.2 rebounds per game, has recorded a double-double in 20 of the last 23 games and has emerged as one of Mike D'Antoni's most important players.

Lee will be a restricted free agent this summer after the Knicks were unable to come to an agreement on a contract extension before the start of the season. It is believed that Lee, who will make $1.7 million this season, was seeking about $10 million per season in a new deal.

With the focus on having salary-cap space for 2010, Donnie Walsh wasn't inclined to give out lavish raises off a 23-win team. But after watching Lee for almost half a season, Walsh has told confidants that he has changed his mind about Lee.

"Unless someone blows them away with a trade," one source said, "[Lee] was told the preference is to sign him to a long-term extension."

One way the Knicks - who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday - can fit Lee into the budget and still have potentially more than $40 million in salary-cap space for the summer of 2010 is to trade Eddy Curry, who will make $11.2 million in 2010-11. Of course, Walsh also has to make a decision on Nate Robinson, the team's other restricted free agent this summer.

Yes Thats what im talking about:peace::peace: I've always said Lee is a keeper and could help the Knicks for a very long time.:beer:

Last edited:

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
it doesnt really have any walsh quotes, it has "Houston" before the artice (does that mean the guy with these 'sources' lives in Texas?) - so i dont look at this too seriously. it seems as reliable as all the other trade rumours out there.

it seems Donnie isnt going to make a move till February, so we just have to wait and see.
after all, few weeks ago they were reporting that Donnie himself offered D-Lee for Kleiza and picks, and that isn't really a 'blow away' deal, just a rather fair trade for both sides.

id like to know for sure what Donnie is really thinking and doing, what are his views about 2009 and 2010 free agencies. but he prefers to keep it completely silent, so i guess we'll never know untill he makes the moves

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Gallo is now participating in full contact practice so he's on schedule now should be back in the rotation by mid to late Feb

and i agree, we need to get rid of Curry asap

JayJ44

Starter
it doesnt really have any walsh quotes, it has "Houston" before the artice (does that mean the guy with these 'sources' lives in Texas?) - so i dont look at this too seriously. it seems as reliable as all the other trade rumours out there.

it seems Donnie isnt going to make a move till February, so we just have to wait and see.
after all, few weeks ago they were reporting that Donnie himself offered D-Lee for Kleiza and picks, and that isn't really a 'blow away' deal, just a rather fair trade for both sides.

id like to know for sure what Donnie is really thinking and doing, what are his views about 2009 and 2010 free agencies. but he prefers to keep it completely silent, so i guess we'll never know untill he makes the moves

No, the guy who wrote it (Alan Hahn) was in Houston for the Knicks-Rockets game. All that means is that he happened to be in Houston when he wrote the article.

KnickfaninMA

Benchwarmer
DLEE is a Beast

This is great news, DLEE is perfect for this system! Hopefully the Knicks can find a way to get rid of Curry and Marbury. Change is coming to New York!