Danilo Gallinari vs Wilson Chandler

metrocard

Legend
12a26650d44afb1cfcde92858ebaf782-getty-82991234nb015_bulls_knicks_nb001_rockets_knicks.jpg

Danilo Gallinari
Height: 6"10
Weight: 225
Birthplace: Italy
Draft #: 6
Accomplishments: Italian league All Star Game 3-Point Shootout Champion 2007
Euroleague Rising Star Award 2007-08

Strengths:

? Size for position
? Productivity at highest level outside NBA at young age
? Maturity
? Versatility
? Fundamentals
? Ability to play multiple positions
? Strength
? Frame
? Intensity
? Winning mentality
? Court vision
? Ability to create own shot
? Ball-handling skills with either hand
? Hesitation moves
? Utilizing screens
? Ability to draw fouls
? Body control
? Pull-up jumper
? Shooting mechanics
? Basketball IQ
? Poise

Weaknesses:
? Quickness
? Explosiveness
? Ability to defend NBA small forwards?
? Post-up moves
? Rebounding

VS.

dba207b71b808cd4b2dda8b86819d327-getty-82989555nb0011_76ers_knicks_nb001_rockets_knicks.jpg

Wilson Chandler
Height: 6"8
Weight: 220
Birthplace: Michigan
Draft #: 23
Accomplishments: 2005 Mr. Basketball of Michigan, Big-East Conference All-Rookie team, Wendell Smith Award as the MVP of the first DePaul-Notre Dame game, 2007 All Big East 2nd team

Strengths:

? Smoothness
? Creating his own shot
? Quickness
? Leaper
? Strength
? Utilizing screens
? Ability to guard multiple positions
? Mid-range jumper

Weaknesses:
? Ball handling
? IQ
? Shot selection
? Range
? Limited post game
? Assertiveness
? Finishing around the basket
? Rawness​

Metrocard's analysis
We can't have both.
Both play the 3.
Its wise to ride out with one SF prospect.
Gallo happens to be more talented and skilled prospect who would fit better in this system.
I'm bringing this thread up to make the forum aware of Chandler's value and what we could get for him (which is a lot).
I'm not giving up on Chandler.
He's going to be a GREAT player.
But having Gallo and Chandler on the same team would be like having Deron Williams and Chris Paul on the same team, pointless.
This isn't a Chandler hate thread.

All I'm saying I rather have Gallo at the 3 for the future.
Chandler can't play any other position besides the 3. His rebounding isn't good enough to play the 4 and his handles aren't good enough to play guard.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Chandler is young and I think could play the 2 with a little development. In addition Dantoni like to play small so I could see Gallinari at the 4 and even 5. I think we can keep them both. If a good trade arises that involve Chandler I would trade him. I don't see the hurry especially since Gallinari has a bad back and could be a bust.

JayJ44

Starter
I think we can keep both of them. If we pair Chandler with a big rebounding center (Thabeet:crossfingers:) then there wouldn't be a problem playing him at the 4. Or, I think Gallo is versatile enough to play the 2. Imagine a 6'10 SG, who can shoot over his defender. There's a lot of possibilities. And they have different skill sets. Gallo is a point forward, good ball-handler, passer and shooter. Chandler is a stronger, post up player. I think they'll play very well together.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Very good thread metro...you analysis of both players is right on point and you made a very good point as to why we should keep Gallinari over Chandler.

Chandler is ok at shooting guard from time to time but hes not the type of player that should be the starting shooting guard of any team.

I really wish Gallinari could average 8-10 rebounds instead of 5-6. I think he would thrive at that position but we do need someone who can rebound, possible David Lee.

We could have more problems in the future. Where would Gallo play if we were to get Lebron James? I think because of Lebrons 7.1rpg, we would be able to get away with the Big Cock at power forward.

To wrap things up on the big cock and Chandler, as much as some of us like Chandler it makes sense to keep the Big Cock over Chandler when we are forced to make that decision someday. He a very versatile player who thrives under the spotlight and has leadership qualities. Im very impressed with him not being intimidated about playing in New York at all. He hasnt been afraid to shoot the ball, and he doesnt look nervous on the court. The Big Cock is growing right before our eyes....

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Damn that's hateful!

Yea we just have to give them both some time. See how things develop. I know gallo has opened up a lot of peoples eyes in these two games back. The good thing is that they're both at a young age. Maybe one of them doesn't pan out.

chandler needs to be our 2 or 3, and gallo needs to be our 3 or 4(depending if we get lebron)

1 jennings/rubio?
2 chandler
3 lbj
4 gallo
5 thabeet?amare?

i think we need to keep both metro.
they need to let them develop.
i think they are interchangeable for a couple of positions.

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
Hi everyone, I'm Italian and I'm new in this forum
I am a supporter of the italian team Olimpia "Armani Jeans" Milano, the team where Danilo Gallinari played and where Mike D'Antoni played before him.
Since Gallinari was choosed from Knicks and also D'Antoni became the new coach, I started supporting New York in NBA.
First of all I want to say that Danilo Gallinari is the best italian player and you have seen still nothing about his skills and I think that he is able to become one of the best. On the contrary of his height, he has a goot ball control, technique, agility, for these reasons he played always as a shooting guard or a small forward.
I hope to learn more about New York Knicks in your company.

Hi everyone, I'm Italian and I'm new in this forum
I am a supporter of the italian team Olimpia "Armani Jeans" Milano, the team where Danilo Gallinari played and where Mike D'Antoni played before him.
Since Gallinari was choosed from Knicks and also D'Antoni became the new coach, I started supporting New York in NBA.
First of all I want to say that Danilo Gallinari is the best italian player and you have seen still nothing about his skills and I think that he is able to become one of the best. On the contrary of his height, he has a goot ball control, technique, agility, for these reasons he played always as a shooting guard or a small forward.
I hope to learn more about New York Knicks in your company.

Welcome to the site :D

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
nice thread and analysis Metro....

we cant start both but we could definitely keep both of them, one of them could be the 6th man if we lose nate for any reason or we could have Chandler as 6th man or Gallo...no reason why Gallo cant be like Ginobli without the athleticism, Ginobli is sick as 6th man and is great as a starter too we could do that with Gallo or Chandler...if i had to choose over the two to pick one i would take Gallo but i wanna see them both developed

Kiyaman

Legend
I dont believe this POST!

Metrocard, you know your POST favors Gallo over Chandler.....did u actually form your fingers to write u would trade Chandler infavor of Gallo?
Do you actually believe that Gallo all-around game is better than Chandlers?

We all watched Chandler perform well at PF position for a short time, and then was switch back to SF which he played that very well for a while, and lately he had to play the SG position where he been struggling b/c he been covering damn near all his teammates oponents defensively.

Wilson Chandler been switch from one position to the next position when this is his first season getting playingtime in the NBA....his playingtime should be at one position offensively & defensively learning only about the switch-positions made on the court in offense or defense plays.

This season Wilson Chandler showed repeatedly he is a great 3rd option on offense that can average 15 to 20 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assist, plus defend above average.
Our offense this season only gives Chandler 9 to 11 shots per game....which he has been averaging 15 points per game.

Gallo played 2 games and all of a sudden he is "Lebron James".

Paul1355

All Star
Correction

We can have both...Chandler has played the 2 spot this year and can easily be a SG if Mike D wants him to be.

One of the guys can come off the bench...it doesnt matter who starts because on this team a guy can easily have more minutes per game off the bench than actually starting. Al Harrington is coming off the bench every game now and he is getting 10 more minutes per game than Jared Jeffries who starts.

Mike D will find a way to keep both and play both with sufficient minutes. They can easily switch on and off and get good minutes.

Chandler at SG and Gallo at SF
Chandler at SF and Gallo at PF

Doesn't matter.

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
We can have both...Chandler has played the 2 spot this year and can easily be a SG if Mike D wants him to be.

One of the guys can come off the bench...it doesnt matter who starts because on this team a guy can easily have more minutes per game off the bench than actually starting. Al Harrington is coming off the bench every game now and he is getting 10 more minutes per game than Jared Jeffries who starts.

Mike D will find a way to keep both and play both with sufficient minutes. They can easily switch on and off and get good minutes.

Chandler at SF and Gallo at PF

Doesn't matter.
I prefere the first solution. Danilo is not a PF at the moment he con't play phisically hard as a PF must do. Maybe the alternatives could be

Gallo at SG and Chandler at SF

In fact in Olimpia Milano Danilo often playd as a SG and in Europe basketball is less physical.
But in Mike D'Antoni I trust and I'm sure that he will find the best solution to optimize the living together.

Paul1355

All Star
I prefere the first solution. Danilo is not a PF at the moment he con't play phisically hard as a PF must do. Maybe the alternatives could be

Gallo at SG and Chandler at SF

In fact in Olimpia Milano Danilo often playd as a SG and in Europe basketball is less physical.
But in Mike D'Antoni I trust and I'm sure that he will find the best solution to optimize the living together.
\
good points and i didnt know that Gallo actually played the SG spot so your combination can work.

Gallinari is showing the ability to defend players and block shots so to say he is a abd defender is wrong.

Gallo and Chandler can both defend.
And can both be a dangerous combo in the future.

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
\
good points and i didnt know that Gallo actually played the SG spot so your combination can work.

Gallinari is showing the ability to defend players and block shots so to say he is a abd defender is wrong.

Gallo and Chandler can both defend.
And can both be a dangerous combo in the future.
Sure... in fact he is 2,08 m, but if you see he hasn't a so strong body to play hard physically, he doesn't jump too much to take all the rebounds, but he has a good technique, rapidity in movements, good penetrations abilities and, above all, a good 3pt shoot, characteristics of a SG and SF.
The height will help him to do everything better ;)

metrocard

Legend
chandler, just because he's 20 times better defender

Gallo's defense has been flawless.

Proud Warrior, NBA isn't that physical either. I mean look at Wade and how easy he gets to the free throw line. Many would say Euroleague has been more physical/their game is similar to how NBA was played in the 80's.

Kiyaman, I respect your post.
I guess I'll let Gallo's performance take the place of me presenting an argument.

I'm normally accurate with predictions.

Gallo has all star potential, seriously.
I'm not too sure about Chandler. Just reminds me of Bobby Simmons with his production and efficiency.

Bobby Simmons with a lesser jumpshot.

Chandler shoots 30% from 3pt...and 41% from FG. Those are some Crawful numbers.

I'm not too confident about Chandler being given a big role on this team.

Chandler's intensity isn't there all the time too, sometimes he could get lost in he game. I mean, when he's on, he's obviously an impact. But theres a reason why he was picked in the late first round. Not many scouts expected him to be anything special. He's actually peaking above expectations right now...14 ppg isn't really something to wow about. Huge imporvement from last year, but still...Knicks nation are putting too much stock into him. I know he's 21...but just because someone is young gives them the pass all the time. A lot of young dudes just stay at a certain throughout their careers unless their name is Dwight Howard or Lebron James.

Can we agree Wilson Chandler isn't as aggressive as he should be?

I mean Paul hit it right on head in the Big Cock thread.

If Chandler doesnt play aggressive basketball, drive the lane and get to the foul line then you will eventually see Gallo take over his spot.

Before Gallo played this year..Chandler had ALOT of game were he shot horribly from the field and didnt even played aggressive and just chucked up shots.

Chandler still has some things to learn.

The talent is there for Chandler but the discipline to know what your good at is still a challenge for him. He does the wrong things too much...example he shoots to many three's when he is obviously a better 2 point shooter.

The one thing that stand out between both players is their basketball IQ on the court. After seeing Gallo play two games I know already that he is a pretty smart player were Chandler needs work.

Gallo knows when to shoot and when not to shoot were Chandler just rolls the dice on his talent every time.

Both guys have HUGE upside and playing together one day can be something to look forward to...they can be a dangerous combo at the 2,3 or 3,4 spots.

Chandler and Gallo both show to be good on both sides of the court and posses the ability to change momentum in a game easily and single handily....Chandler just needs to know his game a little better.

For now Chandler should start over Gallo but over time we are going to see Gallo take his spot if Chandler doesn't go back to the old aggressive, driving the lane type of basketball he played during the summer league and at the end of last season.

Great post, Paul.

I just feel like Gallo offers so many from so many different dimensions.

Mainly

Passing
Slashing
Shooting

Gallo is really elite for his age at these three attributes.

Then you add his agility, 6"10 and still growing frame.
Then you add his confidence, awareness, IQ, swag, aggressiveness, assertiveness...

You just have a really matured developed prospect, not a project, but a TRUE prospect who can produce right away.

Wilson Chandler is 2nd on the team in FGA

Question to you guys.

How far do we expect to go when our secondary option is a 14 ppg 41% FG scorer?

When Chris Duhon has a higher FG than you, then you know its a fail.

I'm not that IMPRESSED with Chandler, I was in the hype; but now I'm out after watching Chandler play 30 NBA games.

Chandler should be producing Shawn Marion type numbers, but I don't think he has the agressiveness to do be that productive.

I guess its the right thing to be happy with his 14/5/41% FG?

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
Proud Warrior, NBA isn't that physical either. I mean look at Wade and how easy he gets to the free throw line. Many would say Euroleague has been more physical/their game is similar to how NBA was played in the 80's.
In fact Wade is not a PF.
In Euroleague the game is more physical because there are less spaces for moving while in NBA there are huge spaces. But contacts in NBA are undoubtedly harder, for this reason if Gallinari is not so able to play like a PF

I just feel like Gallo offers so many from so many different dimensions.

Mainly

Passing
Slashing
Shooting

Gallo is really elite for his age at these three attributes.

Then you add his agility, 6"10 and still growing frame.
Then you add his confidence, awareness, IQ, swag, aggressiveness, assertiveness...

You just have a really matured developed prospect, not a project, but a TRUE prospect who can produce right away.
:agreed: more or less is what i'm trying to say :)

JayJ44

Starter
When it's all said and done, I think Gallo will be the much better player. But, I don't think you can judge Chandler on his stats, namely his PPG and FG%. This is basically his rookie year, and he's very coachable. Once he learns to be more aggressive, and not take so many 3 pointers, he can be a very good player. Look at Kevin Durant, in his rookie year his fg% was around 40 too. It has improved this season, and will only continue to improve. Granted, he has much more talent, but shot selection is something that comes in time for some players. But his ball handling and passing aren't very good, and they will probably never get to the level Gallo's is now.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
props to metro for another thought provoking post, but i agree completely that chandler is coachable, and i think his overal humble nature will allow him to develop into a much better player. i dont think chandler has that killer instinct that the great ones do. when he talks he seems passive, and that might be reflected onto the court a little. from what i hear from u guys im guessin gallo does indeed have that killer instinct. eitha way im happy with chandler, nd gallo has done well these past 2 games