Danilo Gallinari vs Wilson Chandler

clumsy

Rotation player
I'm not ready to give up on Chandler as of yet because he is playing D but he is very inconsistent... But Gallo seems to have a very high potential.

Also Dwayne Wade gets ghost fouls all the time.......The NBA refs are certainly more generous with superstars (which is why we need at least one...we need players that draws fake fouls).

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
I agree with metro 100% on all the facts about both players. With that being said I really think ( and hope)we can and going to keep both of them.

Gallinari is a special player, a point forward, at 20yr old 6.10'' and 225 that can already play 4 position SF, SG and sub for PG and PF. In about a year or two if he's still growing and put about 20-25 pouns and another inch on his frame he can also sub for C when we play small. Now that s something that our team never had ( somebody that can play 4-5 positions) and he s the only player on our team (right now)with the potential to be a perenial all star. Best case scenario a smaller Dirk, worse case Hedo Turkoglu.

Wilson Chandler I think is going to be a very good player with the potential to have 1-2 all star apearances but his potential is more limited then Gallinari. We already traded something as good ( if not better ) in Trevor Ariza. I think that Ariza is the better player today (but that could change) as a better defender, hustle, more consistent shooting, steals, better rebounder, all that with Chandler starting, playing about 10 more min and being our team 2 or 3 option while Ariza 2-3 option coming of the bench.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=210 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE class=playerInfoGridPlayerInfoBorders cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=110>
trevor_ariza.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Trevor Ariza
Los Angeles Lakers
Position: F
Height: 6-8 Weight: 210
College: UCLA
Player file | Team stats

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=gSGSectionTitleStatsPlayerGrid vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>2008-09 Statistics</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>PPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>9.2</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>RPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>5.1 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>APG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>2.1</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>SPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>1.8</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>BPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.3</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>FG%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.479</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>FT%</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.698</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>3P%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.316</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>MPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>24.7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=210 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE class=playerInfoGridPlayerInfoBorders cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=110>
wilson_chandler.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Wilson Chandler
New York Knicks
Position: F
Height: 6-8 Weight: 220
College: DePaul
Player file | Team stats

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=gSGSectionTitleStatsPlayerGrid vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>2008-09 Statistics</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>PPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>14.6</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>RPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>5.3 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>APG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>1.9</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>SPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.9</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>BPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.8</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>FG%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.420</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>FT%</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.822</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>3P%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.306</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>MPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>33.5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
So if we have to choose betwen Chandler and Gallinari I think the choice is pretty easy.
<!-- Copyright IBM Corporation, 2001-2005 --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1>var SA_ID="nbapix;nba";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="//stats.surfaid.ihost.com/sacdcv3_nbapix_nba.js" type=text/JavaScript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- Copyright IBM Corporation, 2001-2005 --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1>var SA_ID="nbapix;nba";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="//stats.surfaid.ihost.com/sacdcv3_nbapix_nba.js" type=text/JavaScript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

____I♥NY____

Benchwarmer
Gallo is really elite for his age at these three attributes.

Then you add his agility, 6"10 and still growing frame.
Then you add his confidence, awareness, IQ, swag, aggressiveness, assertiveness...

Does that not apply to Chandler because Chandler is still growing, agreed that Gallo is a great player but also he has played professional ball before, Chandler though has only played a handful of games last year under Isiah and is doing much better in this system, Gallo needs to get stronger and reports indicate while working out in the gym Gallo got the back issur, I think. But anyways Chandler is better and has more potential than Gallinari

paris401

Starter
____I♥NY____;80679 said:
Gallo is a great player

wow.. zepole cannoli has played a total of maybe 1 game... 48 total mins, and he is already 'great'

i prefer to see him playing maybe 3 or 4 games before granting him the status of 'great'.. maybe by the end of the week.

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
wow.. zepole cannoli has played a total of maybe 1 game... 48 total mins, and he is already 'great'

i prefer to see him playing maybe 3 or 4 games before granting him the status of 'great'.. maybe by the end of the week.
ahahaha zeppole e cannoli :teeth::teeth::teeth:
You're right, you have good reasons to be skeptical. I know him since he start playing professional basketball and, if he will feel good, I assure you that Danilo will demonstrate to be a great player

paris401

Starter
ahahaha zeppole e cannoli :teeth::teeth::teeth:
You're right, you have good reasons to be skeptical. I know him since he start playing professional basketball and, if he will feel good, I assure you that Danilo will demonstrate to be a great player

no body hopes he is 'great'... more then us long-suffering knicks fans...

Im not saying Gallo will be great at all. He is very skinny, and who knows with this back thing of his. Chandler is the more gifted athlete, while Gallo may be the better basketball player. And two games, 1 vs the Bulls shows me nothing.

For this offense, because Gallo is a better shooter, he fits better. But realistically until the Knicks get a real play maker at pg, we won't be able to see the full potential of either Gallo, or Chandler. Not to mention, this is basically Chandler's first year, and I won't count this year for Gallo, unless he plays the rest of the way, without being limited much by injury.

I don't think Chandler really knows how good he can be yet. Gallo, he knows he can be really good.

Good problem to have though. Bout time the Knicks have a good problem.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Two things that are not mentioned

There two attributes that Gallo has that Chandler does not: "Leadership" and "Dependability (aka being the man)."

Circumstances have put Gallo into a position to have these qualities, who knows if Chandler was under the same situation he could have developed such qualities.

But he didn't, and it doesn't look like they are developing in him right now.

Gallo is a leader especially in how he plays. He is showing our Knicks how to play Defense, Court Awareness, Ball Handling, Ball Movement, and Shot Selection. The only player on our team that might have all of these attributes is Duhon (it is a stretch).

Gallo has the experience of being dependable in Italy and it will be more evident with the Knicks as he plays more games and gets more playing time. He will take over our team and he might be our other piece in attracting those superstars here.

Why else take so long in making sure his back is ok before letting him play? I really believe that Walsh and D'antoni saw these qualities, wanted to be cautious, and are going to invest heavily in him.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Sure we can play both. As Paul said one is coming off the bench anyway. Both can run the floor and defend so it just gives our line-up more versatility. Gallo is definately a better pure shooter, but Wilson is a much better slasher and has the athletism to finish. Once Wilson learns to be more consistent with his favorite three from the corner, he will be deadly. There is plenty of room on this roster for both. I see D'antoni just likes to have skill guys out there that can run and gun, so there is room for both Wilson and Gallo on the team.

Paul1355

All Star
Gallo's defense has been flawless.

Proud Warrior, NBA isn't that physical either. I mean look at Wade and how easy he gets to the free throw line. Many would say Euroleague has been more physical/their game is similar to how NBA was played in the 80's.

Kiyaman, I respect your post.
I guess I'll let Gallo's performance take the place of me presenting an argument.

I'm normally accurate with predictions.

Gallo has all star potential, seriously.
I'm not too sure about Chandler. Just reminds me of Bobby Simmons with his production and efficiency.

Bobby Simmons with a lesser jumpshot.

Chandler shoots 30% from 3pt...and 41% from FG. Those are some Crawful numbers.

I'm not too confident about Chandler being given a big role on this team.

Chandler's intensity isn't there all the time too, sometimes he could get lost in he game. I mean, when he's on, he's obviously an impact. But theres a reason why he was picked in the late first round. Not many scouts expected him to be anything special. He's actually peaking above expectations right now...14 ppg isn't really something to wow about. Huge imporvement from last year, but still...Knicks nation are putting too much stock into him. I know he's 21...but just because someone is young gives them the pass all the time. A lot of young dudes just stay at a certain throughout their careers unless their name is Dwight Howard or Lebron James.

Can we agree Wilson Chandler isn't as aggressive as he should be?

I mean Paul hit it right on head in the Big Cock thread.

Great post, Paul.

I just feel like Gallo offers so many from so many different dimensions.

Mainly

Passing
Slashing
Shooting

Gallo is really elite for his age at these three attributes.

Then you add his agility, 6"10 and still growing frame.
Then you add his confidence, awareness, IQ, swag, aggressiveness, assertiveness...

You just have a really matured developed prospect, not a project, but a TRUE prospect who can produce right away.

Wilson Chandler is 2nd on the team in FGA

Question to you guys.

How far do we expect to go when our secondary option is a 14 ppg 41% FG scorer?

When Chris Duhon has a higher FG than you, then you know its a fail.

I'm not that IMPRESSED with Chandler, I was in the hype; but now I'm out after watching Chandler play 30 NBA games.

Chandler should be producing Shawn Marion type numbers, but I don't think he has the agressiveness to do be that productive.

I guess its the right thing to be happy with his 14/5/41% FG?

agreed

Chandler should be producing better numbers, I feel he just needs time and the right coaching to engrave it in him to play more aggressive. Once Chandler sees his numbers go up every game he will be confident to drive the basketball and cut down on the long shots.
I was really hyped up too but his FG% has dragged him down.

Can;t wait untill Q Rich is gone so Gallo can take those minutes.

chandlerlee4

Benchwarmer
I dont believe this POST!

Metrocard, you know your POST favors Gallo over Chandler.....did u actually form your fingers to write u would trade Chandler infavor of Gallo?
Do you actually believe that Gallo all-around game is better than Chandlers?

We all watched Chandler perform well at PF position for a short time, and then was switch back to SF which he played that very well for a while, and lately he had to play the SG position where he been struggling b/c he been covering damn near all his teammates oponents defensively.

Wilson Chandler been switch from one position to the next position when this is his first season getting playingtime in the NBA....his playingtime should be at one position offensively & defensively learning only about the switch-positions made on the court in offense or defense plays.

This season Wilson Chandler showed repeatedly he is a great 3rd option on offense that can average 15 to 20 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assist, plus defend above average.
Our offense this season only gives Chandler 9 to 11 shots per game....which he has been averaging 15 points per game.

Gallo played 2 games and all of a sudden he is "Lebron James".

CO-SIGN!!

I am late, but I can agree anymore Kiyaman. Chandler has huge potential! He has to stay with the knicks. He has also shown to be clutch in quite a few games. I believe he can keep developing. All the other knicks also agree with me. They see how good he can be and they expect a lot from him. He is one of my fav knicks. Gallinari shows big potential too. We should keep both. They are nice young prospects.

Last edited:

Akamu

The King
The Cock and Wil-son-u both have worth and should stay on this team.

It takes some players more time then others to develop into something great. I see Chandler learning and developing his game you can't knock him down just yet.

He may not have a very high IQ on the court but he is a good player, especially on the defensive end which is something we can't afford to give up. Even if he doesn't pan out to the star level, he would AT LEAST make a decent support cast @ SG or SF for 2010.

Gallo has shown signs of a star caliber player, we still have to let him grow into the NBA style of play. Is his back even 100% yet??

What we need to do is trade the real bums on this team, which is everyone else (excluding Lee and Nate) yall know that-

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
The ''BIG COCK'' have also ''BIG BALLS'' (no homo)

Danilo Gallinari had another energetic, crowd-pleasing night, with 10 points, 4 rebounds and a memorable block of O’Neal in an 18-minute stint, his longest of the season.
In three games since returning from a back injury, Gallinari has played almost exclusively against guards and small forwards. Although Gallinari stands 6 feet 10 inches, D’Antoni does not want him anywhere near opposing power forwards and centers. It was a nasty collision with the beefy Robert Traylor that wrecked Gallinari’s back last summer.
“I’ll tell you, if he gets near Shaq tonight, he might not return from that back injury,” D’Antoni said before the game, chuckling.
Apparently, Gallinari did not get his coach’s memo. He thrust himself into Amare Stoudemire’s path in the first quarter to stop a drive and took a big blow in the chest. Then he had the audacity to block O’Neal’s shot from behind in the second quarter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/sports/basketball/22knicks.html?ref=basketball

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Its still early but I am really impressed with Gallinari and the way he shoots the ball.For it to be his 4th or 5th game he is starting to look like he is very comfortable out there on the court.He needs to keep playing the same amount of minutes that he is getting b/c of his back BUT if I was Wilson Chandler,I would be watching over my shoulder b/c if he does'nt get his head on straight and start playing ball then Gallinari will start taking his minutes.

knicksfancris

Benchwarmer
knicks will do good in feb

we play a lot of good teams in feb but those are the only teams we are beating so i guess we are going to win most of the game give me your opinions

Dman been away for awhile...

But anywya this dudes been way better than what I expected. He's really proving me and any other people who had doubts wrong in the 3 games he's played this past week. If Chandler breaks out of his offensive slump anytime soon they can make an immediate decent 1, 2 punch for us. Maybe not great just yet so early on.. but decent.

Edit: FOrgot to mention.. Another thing I love about this guy is his confidence for a 20 year old and a internatinal player at that! I expected him to be timid but he's far from it. And he talks on defense!