Danilo Gallinari vs Wilson Chandler

Kiyaman

Legend
CHANDLER AND GALLO PLAY WELL TOGETHER!!!!! Bottom line! LOL!

So far Gallo played 34 games in his 2nd season averaging 31 mpg, 14 pts, 4 rbd, 1 ast, 2 turnovers, shooting 43% from the FG. Very good.

Chandlers 2nd season of playing all 82 games is practically the same as Gallo stats now, only Chandler had a rebound and assist more the rest is the same.

This 3rd season of Chandler, his stats are the same as his stats last season accept his FG% increased to 46%.
Chandlers first 15 games this season was off with his decision-making performance looking every bit like a BUM (jacking-up dum missed shots). WHY? b/c he had to play alongside of a 31 mpg Gallo, whom he was not familiar with in a lineup. However.....
Chandler's last 20 games along with Gallo in the starting lineup with him has raised both players stats tremendously, and took the Knicks on a 12-8 winning record. The two players has learned to "JELL" with each other while complimenting each other performance.

And that is 35 games into the Knicks season.
Their positions are no-longer important, what is important is the two players reached a decent "Tandem" together on the court which is improving as the season goes along.
Which would u trade this season?
I say none for the next two season...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
So far Gallo played 34 games in his 2nd season averaging 31 mpg, 14 pts, 4 rbd, 1 ast, 2 turnovers, shooting 43% from the FG. Very good.

Chandlers 2nd season of playing all 82 games is practically the same as Gallo stats now, only Chandler had a rebound and assist more the rest is the same.

This 3rd season of Chandler, his stats are the same as his stats last season accept his FG% increased to 46%.
Chandlers first 15 games this season was off with his decision-making performance looking every bit like a BUM (jacking-up dum missed shots). WHY? b/c he had to play alongside of a 31 mpg Gallo, whom he was not familiar with in a lineup. However.....
Chandler's last 20 games along with Gallo in the starting lineup with him has raised both players stats tremendously, and took the Knicks on a 12-8 winning record. The two players has learned to "JELL" with each other while complimenting each other performance.

And that is 35 games into the Knicks season.
Their positions are no-longer important, what is important is the two players reached a decent "Tandem" together on the court which is improving as the season goes along.
Which would u trade this season?
I say none for the next two season...

Do you still insist that Chandler is a better player than Gallo?

clumsy

Rotation player
I kinda think they compliment each other....One is a better defender, one is a better shooter. Both can slash and get their hands dirty on offense. Gallo has a higher ceiling but Wilson is a good roleplayer swingman. He'll probably be gone when his contract is up tho.

smokes

Huge Member

Not sure how you could claim otherwise on current form and recent performances. Gallo has potential to be an all star sure, and Chandler is probably close to his ceiling already, but Chandler's 20+ PPG games recently has helped us to a lot of our recent wins.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I am starting to come around on my opinions of Chandler. I really felt he didn't fit with this team. Being that Gallo is the better SF for this system. But Chandler has been very quietly consistent and is one of the main reasons for this winning streak.

Could he be our starting SG for the future? In time, maybe yes. Remember, he didn't have an offseason to work on his game because he was recovering from surgery. And he still says his ankle is only 95% but getting better all the time.

If he can stay healthy all year, an offseason of working on outside shooting and ball-handling could do wonders for his game and solidify his role as a SG. Maybe him and Gallo could work together during the offseason. They both seem to have strong work ethics and this could only stengthen their chemistry. Maybe Donnie and D'Antoni were right about making Chandler and Gallo the building blocks.

Still a long way to go. But I am more hopeful now than I was before.

jzero29

Rotation player
That is a tough question

They really are just two different players. Body wise real tall/thin with length gallinari, tall and a little more stocky/powerfull. Gallinari strength outside shooting and size, chandlers athletism/speed and finishing. they both rebound well, both versatile, both young and developing. I love chandler, he has really stepped it up. He's a solid player capable of producing big time, like last night. But Gallo can hit the big outside shots, like last night.
I think as many have said the pair play well together, also they are like puzzle pieces, what one strengths are the others weakness. Gallo looks a little out of control when he goes to the basket, but I'm sure that will develope. Chandler is not consistent from outside, but as lee developed mid-deep 2pt shooting, I'm sure chandler will develope an outside game. Especially in this system where taking a 3 point shot is never frowned on, hitting a huge 3 in game, is a confidence booster.
I hope they plan to go forward with both. I really like the duo. The real question is, Lee is having a career year? What do we do at years end? I mean, I think it'd be wise to extend him if we can before the years out. Maybe get him a little cheaper then on the free agent market. His hustle reminds me of oakley, but with more flare and scoring ability.
how will the current pieces fit with whoever we get, if anyone.

Kiyaman

Legend

Do u really want the answer to that question without any Bias?

In the NBA HELL-YEAH! Chandler's offense or defense brings a WIN.
in the Euro-League Hell No! Gallo plays 3 to 4 positions for a WIN.

Both players next step is "Team-Leadership", which Chandler is doing and probably dont realize it. Chandler listen and look towards Lee & Jefferies for positioning help on the court, while Gallo & Bender look at Chandler for position on court.
Al Harrington leadership on court is questionable after the 1-9 start, which made the players start communicating more on the court.

Gallo & Chandler should remind us of Turk & Lewis by midseason.

smokes

Huge Member
Don't forget it's usually Chandler or Lee who make the dish to Gallo. Very often Chandler makes the extra pass on the wing and who is it waiting for that pass?

metrocard

Legend
Do u really want the answer to that question without any Bias?

In the NBA HELL-YEAH! Chandler's offense or defense brings a WIN.
in the Euro-League Hell No! Gallo plays 3 to 4 positions for a WIN.

Both players next step is "Team-Leadership", which Chandler is doing and probably dont realize it. Chandler listen and look towards Lee & Jefferies for positioning help on the court, while Gallo & Bender look at Chandler for position on court.
Al Harrington leadership on court is questionable after the 1-9 start, which made the players start communicating more on the court.

Gallo & Chandler should remind us of Turk & Lewis by midseason.

Chandler's jumpshot and driving game is WEAK.

At prime, he'll be a 15 ppg scorer.
Thats it.

His defense is average at best, far from a lock down defender.
He's a below average passer at the SG position.

He's just an average guy, nothing special except his agility and athelicism which he doesnt use to the best of his ability.

Gallinari > Chandler, no comparision. Gallinari has been better than Chandler since 1987, and Gallinari wasn't even born.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
In the last month and a half, Chandler has been head and shoulders the superior of the 2.

Gallo is as predictable as a pet rock on offense. Defence has really shown improvement though.

Chandler is playing consistently and playing the game he should play - driving, cutting, finishing in the paint.

There are all these trade Chandler scenarios floating around, Chandler for a 2nd round pick was one (wtf?) but I'd take Wilson over Gallo in a blind fit.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Chandlers been coming on strong of late and he's been pretty consistent this season but i'd like to use his value around the league( which he's gaining ) and trade him for a C we need a center more then we need a 6th man we have Douglas who can come off the bench and make us play at a quicker more efficient pace and the defense is fluid as hell, bottom line i like chandler but id like to trade him and get a legit starting C

Paul1355

All Star
Chandler's jumpshot and driving game is WEAK.

At prime, he'll be a 15 ppg scorer.
Thats it.

His defense is average at best, far from a lock down defender.
He's a below average passer at the SG position.

He's just an average guy, nothing special except his agility and athelicism which he doesnt use to the best of his ability.

Gallinari > Chandler, no comparision. Gallinari has been better than Chandler since 1987, and Gallinari wasn't even born.

You are over rating Gallo....what has Gallo done this year besides be as inconsistent as Q Rich was? Gallo scores 30 points one game and then 2 points the next game.

He only shows flashes of being aggressive

The onnly thing impressive with Gallo is his defense is improving and his rebounding has been good.

Chandler as of right now is the better player...Chandler's drive game is not weak?? When he drives and shoots close shots he almost makes it everytime, that is his bread and butter on offense, he even shows some flashy moves that make me see the future star in him that can break out any season.
Chandler blocks shots, guards the best players on the other team.
Chandler is dumb, however, but Gallo has proven to be a dummy as well with his stupid jump passes that go for turnovers or his bricks that he throws up once a game.

Right now Chandler>Gallo

In the future Gallo> Chandler

Danillo has so much upside that he can be compared to many players...let's just hope he is not like Barganani who took years to develop into a legit starter.

Hitman

Benchwarmer
Gallo will be a 3-4 with LeBron. He is part of the front court, rebounding difficulties and all.

Chandler is a jack of all trades role/ bench player on a winning team. He will play the 2-3-4. He is a reserve.

metrocard

Legend
Theres no such thing as right now.

Every GM in the NBA would take Gallinari over Chandler, no question.

Chandler is very limited.
Gallinari gets no touches on offense, you can't blame the inconsistency all on him.

Chandler took 150 3pt shots...shot 26% from 3pt...this is our 3? A 3 in this offense needs to hit a 3...even Grant Hill develop his range in Phoneix, when he was purely a midrange guy. Chandler's jumpshot is weak.

5 rebounds in 35 minutes....Gallinari does the same thing with no vertical leap. Chandler has all these hops, but doesn't use it. He's a waste of time, and a waste of space on this team.

Chandler takes 2.5 free throw attempts per game.
Gallinari takes 3.4 free throw attempts per game in LESS minutes.

Gallinari is the better help defender, and more aware defender. Chandler is the better post defender by default, but Gallinari can learn that part of the game easily because he was never a 3pt shooter or defender in Europe, and he came to New York strong in both attributes.

Chandler averages like .75 blocks per game...thats Eddy Curry status...since the when the **** he became a shot blocker? You're making shit up. .75 is probably the highest Chandler will ever finish. he's not an aggressive player, thus will never be the shot blocker you think he is.

Chandler a future STAR?!??!?!?!?! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Paul, you're done for the week.

Paul1355

All Star
Theres no such thing as right now.

Every GM in the NBA would take Gallinari over Chandler, no question.

Chandler is very limited.
Gallinari gets no touches on offense, you can't blame the inconsistency all on him.

Chandler took 150 3pt shots...shot 26% from 3pt...this is our 3? A 3 in this offense needs to hit a 3...even Grant Hill develop his range in Phoneix, when he was purely a midrange guy. Chandler's jumpshot is weak.

5 rebounds in 35 minutes....Gallinari does the same thing with no vertical leap. Chandler has all these hops, but doesn't use it. He's a waste of time, and a waste of space on this team.

Chandler takes 2.5 free throw attempts per game.
Gallinari takes 3.4 free throw attempts per game in LESS minutes.

Gallinari is the better help defender, and more aware defender. Chandler is the better post defender by default, but Gallinari can learn that part of the game easily because he was never a 3pt shooter or defender in Europe, and he came to New York strong in both attributes.

Chandler averages like .75 blocks per game...thats Eddy Curry status...since the when the **** he became a shot blocker? You're making shit up. .75 is probably the highest Chandler will ever finish. he's not an aggressive player, thus will never be the shot blocker you think he is.

Chandler a future STAR?!??!?!?!?! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Paul, you're done for the week.

The last few games and the start of teh season have been the only times were Gallo was impressive, tried to take over games, and mixed it up on offense while playing D and rebounding.

I know CHandler's 3 point shooting sucks I NEVER COMPARED THEIR OUTSIDE SHOT! So who is really making stuff up here?

Chandler's game is to drive to the basket consistently and post up, he has strength and athleticism that he can use for his advantage.

Gallo should drive to the basket to force defenders to play him back to free him up for jump shots...Gallo has done a great job at realizing that he can draw fouls like a beast.

We are now comparing someone in Chandler who started the season off terribly, then improved over the course of the season, and now he is hurt so you will obviously bash Chandler and see Gallo as victor because Gallo has FINALLY been playing good when Gallo was horrible for a month straight, worse than Chandler's cold streak in my opinion due to the embarissing decision making.

Chandler is out for the season, Gallo is healthy and improving....for most of this season Chandler has helped....Gallo had spurts especially on offense, only consistent on defense and rebounding.

Once Chandler got out of his slump in the start due to him not practicing at all from surgery, his game picked up and he was a force whether you choose to ignore the past or not.

Chandler always faces the best offensive opponents, thus making him the best defender on the team, have you watched his matchups all season? Kobe Bryant, etc...that explains it.

As I said...

RIght Now Chandler is better....the experience, defense, athleticism, and ability to drive to the basket make him better overall.

It is close but CHandler gets the nod.

In the future...even next year, I can see Gallo being better....but Gallo has to learn his game and consistently post up and consistently drive towards the basket, so many games he failed because he just bricked three point shots...it came to a point, during his cold streak(rookie wall) where he was actually hurting our team.

Chandler learned it by driving and posting....Gallo learned it recently by not bricking three point shots that he was taking excessively when he should have been driving.

You were the one that said that Gallo was known for driving to the basket in Europe, and he never did that untill recently....so the whole season he did not even use his strengths.... Chandler has been more consistent this season

jimkcchief88

All Star
The fact that we are even having this discussion gives "Will the Thrill" the nod. Will was picked at the BOTTOM of the first round while "The Cock" was a LOTTERY PICK. I don't care how many excuses you throw out for the Cock: "oh he's REALLY only a rookie,"" ohhhhhh he's European(white),""oooohhh he's so much potential(??????)," the fact is Gallo is the lottery pick playing like a role player. "Will the Thrill" was drafted to a role player and is playing more like the higher pick.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
The fact that we are even having this discussion gives "Will the Thrill" the nod. Will was picked at the BOTTOM of the first round while "The Cock" was a LOTTERY PICK. I don't care how many excuses you throw out for the Cock: "oh he's REALLY only a rookie,"" ohhhhhh he's European(white),""oooohhh he's so much potential(??????)," the fact is Gallo is the lottery pick playing like a role player. "Will the Thrill" was drafted to a role player and is playing more like the higher pick.
Really? Will the Thrill: More than a Role Player?

No thank you.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com

Excellent post. I agree. If Danilo Gallinari(the #6 overall pick of the 2008 draft) is being compared to the #21st overall pick of the draft(Wilson Chandler) then it is obvious that Gallinari didn't deserve to be drafted at #6.

The excuses people make for Gallinari are hilarious, because I seldom hear anyone saying to give Chandler more time to develop. Whenever Chandler makes a mistake, most people jump on him. When Gallinari makes a mistake, everyone tries to cover up for him.

Last edited:

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Really? "The Cock" Gallinari: More than a Role Player?

No thank you.
Where did i say that?

Ive stated in several posts elswhere on this site that he isn't even a third option.

So yeah you're right, no thank you to either one...but in the long run MAYBE a developed Gallo.