Ben Gordon to New York?

JayJ44

Starter
The Westchester Journal published this piece today from a conversation with Mount Vernon native (and Bulls guard) Ben Gordon, when he was in town Monday for the Knicks win over the Bulls.
Gordon is a free agent this summer and says the pressure of playing for a new contract has been tough on him. But one mention of New York as a possible destination seemed to perk him up.
I tend to compare Gordon as very similar to Jamal Crawford. Both can be tough when they get hot. One-dimensional games, though, as my Fish Sticks buddy P-Botte always says, "It's a pretty damn good dimension to have."
The Knicks desperately need a shooter at the two spot, a guy who can set up as another perimeter target. But they also need someone who can defend in that spot. Gordon is somewhat undersized at he two, though Mike D'Antoni never seems concerned about size matchups, and, quite frankly, if playing for a contract has his game all messed up . . . what will playing in New York do to him?
Then again, if getting 20 a game and shooting 44.8 percent from the floor and 40.4 percent from three-point range is rattled . . .
But would it be better to wait until 2010 and see what you can get out of the Dwyane Wade/Joe Johnson crop? Remember, Johnson played for D'Antoni in Phoenix in that 62-win season. The coaching staff loved him in their system. If the LeBron James dream isn't meant to be -- I wouldn't say longshot, but it's certainly no lock -- then a terrific consolation prize may be Johnson and Chris Bosh as a tandem. Put them with Duhon at the point, Gallinari at the three and David Lee at the four (Bosh would be the "five" in name, but obviously D'Antoni doesn't really designate his forwards as anything but forwards), with Wilson Chandler coming off the bench and a quality backup PG (if you don't keep Nate, that is) and that's not a bad seven.
Gordon's free agency comes a year too early for the Knicks, who would have to acquire him in a trade in order to sign him.
http://blogs.trb.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2009/01/ben_gordon_lobbying_for_new_yo.html

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Nah, rather have plenty of other guys than Gordon, and I think Gordon will want way too much for what I think he brings to the table.

th3realicon

Rotation player
I doubt we will be interested in any high ceiling FA this post season. Especially considering the fact Ben Gordon is not even a superstar. he is good but i doubt Donnie would go after him. Also the comparison with Jamal Crawford was spot on. Great in insignificant games and a ghost in the games you need him the most.

metrocard

Legend
Gordon would average 25 ppg 4 assist 4 rebounds in this system.

I'm hoping for a future of

Rubio(6"4-6"5)
Gordon(6"3)
Gallinari (6"11)
Lee (6"9)
Monroe (6'11-7')

**** LEBRON!!!

Paul1355

All Star

Rubio(6"4-6"5)
Gordon(6"3)
Gallinari (6"11)
Lee (6"9)
Monroe (6'11-7')

**** LEBRON!!!

That lineup is dirty....and you have good fluid passing with Gallo, Lee and Monroe(great passer), Rubio(amazing awareness and passing) and Gordon would be open for the three point shot most of the time and drill it....agreed.

Lebron would be nice though.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

Rubio(6"4-6"5)
Gordon(6"3)
Gallinari (6"11)
Lee (6"9)
Monroe (6'11-7')

**** LEBRON!!!

that lineup has NBA Champions written all over it. i agree with you metro we dont need a superstar in 2010 to be successful in the near future

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Unfortunately we need a miraculous lottery to get the rights to Rubio (who I guess isn't coming next year anyhow) and I would much rather wait a year and plug Wade or Joe Johnson into that 2 spot than Gordon. Gordon is exciting, but I don't think he is what makes us a championship team, we've waited too long to F this up! I am hoping for a draft pick that can contribute, not sign Gordon or Kidd and wait til 2010. With the team learning to work together and a useful draft pick we can be in playoffs next year, then we add our chip to take us to the next level