should the Knicks trade for STAT now?

quiggle

Starter
forget about signing him in 2010 and try to get him now since him and the Suns look like they're going in opposite directions?

"Amar?e Stoudemire seems to be sun burned. He?s had to accept a complete change in style of play because of Shaquille O?Neal, and because of the system Terry Porter wants to run in order to placate Shaq?s abilities.

Simply put, the Suns want to run their offense through somebody who?s going to retire in two years.

Can you understand why Amar?e would have a beef?

Fast forward to January 09, with former Suns coach Mike D?Antoni now coaching the Knicks. Chris Duhon and David Lee working beautifully in the pick and roll. A position Stoudemire remembers as being on the receiving of
Steve Nash passes.

Amar?e had his own synergy with one of the best passers of this generation, but then had to accept a bogged down offense with the arrival of Shaquille O?Neal. A player who sits on the second half of back-to-backs, making it increasingly difficult to develop a good re pour.

STAT would have this to say about the Suns new style of play..

""I?m not sure we have the confidence that we used to have, knowing that teams are afraid of us," Stoudemire said. "I don?t think that confidence is there anymore."

Such a vote of confidence for his team right?

Well what if the problems go both ways? Who says the Suns are so elated with STAT?

Terry Porter slowed down the offense in an effort to help give up less easy baskets. But it doesn?t help if one of your core players isn?t buying into the defensive philosophy. Especially if the name "Stoudemire" is on the back of the jersey, somebody who has the gift of athleticism and size.

All this being said, the Suns organization is none too pleased.

Could Steve Kerr be planning a Stoudemire exile? Trading the 26- year-old freak of nature with the aspirations of building around two players both in their mid-to-late thirties.

If a deal came along for the right young player, along with picks and cap flexibility, then who knows. Stoudemire could be out of Phoenix before the trade deadline.

When it comes down to it, Amar?e has a amazing skill set for a player his size. Phoenix may be thinking of a breakup, but other teams around the league would kill for Amar?e Stoudemire."

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I dont know about Chris Bosh or Amare. They both seem kinda soft to me, especially Bosh but Amare's not nearly the rebounder that he should be and both of them could be better defenders. Look at what Lee did against phoenix last week, 26 points and 15 rebounds.

GetRealistic

Starter
I"d love to have Bosh, but i'm not really a being Stoudmire fan. He's a good player but i don't think he has the basketball IQ or heart. All that said if it was a reasonable deal that made us better i'd be for it.

Bosh is a good defender i think hes just having an off year. During the Olympics he was the best inside defender on the team and was amazing at trapping the European teams pick n roles.

Bosh doesn't have the athletism that STAT does but his overall game is stronger, plus his mid range jumper would be nice in this offense.

JayJ44

Starter
As GetReal said, I'd rather have Bosh but Amare is good too. But I wouldn't give up young players like Gallo or Chandler. Wouldn't give up picks either. Why give up stuff to trade for him when we can wait and sign him in 2010?

quiggle

Starter
As GetReal said, I'd rather have Bosh but Amare is good too. But I wouldn't give up young players like Gallo or Chandler. Wouldn't give up picks either. Why give up stuff to trade for him when we can wait and sign him in 2010?

isn't it possible that he might get traded to another team then and get signed long term and no longer be a free agent for 2010?

JayJ44

Starter
isn't it possible that he might get traded to another team then and get signed long term and no longer be a free agent for 2010?

Yeah, that's possible. If it happens, it happens. There other players out there, not worth giving up our young talent and picks, which is what I assume they would want. Besides, they would never trade Amare.

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
if we could get Amare now why not, sign him to an extension when/if we get him. he'll make us contenders and with a couple more pieces we could be real close to championship contention

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
The suns are going to ask for a lot (lee + draft pick) and I don't see him fitting in our team as well as bosh.

____I♥NY____

Benchwarmer
The suns are going to ask for a lot (lee + draft pick) and I don't see him fitting in our team as well as bosh.
<!-- / message -->

True that the Suns are not giving up a great player for jus anything like a Malik Rose or n e thing. Lee and draft picks are goin if a trade lik this happens nd that Donnie hates givin up draft picks

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer

Yeah, that's possible. If it happens, it happens. There other players out there, not worth giving up our young talent and picks, which is what I assume they would want. Besides, they would never trade Amare.

if we could get Amare now why not, sign him to an extension when/if we get him. he'll make us contenders and with a couple more pieces we could be real close to championship contention

I belive that he can't be signed to a new contract or extension till his curent one runs out. Neither him or the team has an option in the contract till 2010-2011 season ( reagardless if he's with the suns or a new team) so he will be a free agent and able to sign a new contract only then. The only advantage Knicks or a new team get by getting him now is that they can give him one more year (and thus more money) coming 2010. That s why I think Walsh wont give too much in a trade for him( like picks and lee). The only way Walsh give up Lee or/ and a pick( after 2011) is that the Suns take E. Curry in the trade.

So very small chance that Stats gets traded much less to the Knicks

quiggle

Starter
Perhaps signaling a willingness to dismantle their roster, the Phoenix Suns have begun exchanging trade proposals with teams for All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire, league executives told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.
With dysfunction and dissension reigning within the Suns, rival front-office executives believe general manager Steve Kerr is determined to move Stoudemire and others before the Feb. 19 trade deadline.
While Stoudemire, 26, is the Suns’ most valuable asset, sources say Kerr has told teams that he’s willing to trade anyone on his roster except for point guard Steve Nash.

“Everyone is on the table but Nash,” one executive said.
Phoenix owner Robert Sarver has been more reluctant to part with Stoudemire and still hasn’t yet given his blessing to act on a Stoudemire proposal. Nevertheless, most believe that Sarver will inevitably do so.
While there will likely be some interest in a rejuvenated Shaquille O’Neal, it is Stoudemire, the enigmatic 6-foot-10, 250-pound forward, whom most NBA teams have an interest in acquiring.

If Kerr and assistant GM David Griffin do trade Stoudemire, a four-time All-Star, they want a combination of expiring contracts, a talented young player – preferably a forward – and draft picks. Stoudemire is expected to opt out of his contract for the historic free-agent summer of 2010. He makes $15 million this season and $16.3 million next season. His relationship with Suns management has steadily deteriorated and few expect that either side is interested in a contract extension.

Phoenix made the biggest move of the trade deadline a year ago, trading Shawn Marion for Shaquille O’Neal in a deal that the Suns believed could help them overtake the San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference. Yet, the Suns lost to the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs, which turned into a prelude to an acrimonious exit with coach Mike D’Antoni.
This season, Phoenix has struggled to a 26-21 record, which leaves them tied for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Suns were blown out Wednesday night in Golden State, 124-112.

With O’Neal clogging the middle, Stoudemire has expressed frustration with a diminished offensive role. Stoudemire still flusters his GM and coach because of an unwillingness to commit to anything but scoring. Stoudemire’s scoring and rebounding averages have dropped this season, and he recently told Yahoo! Sports that he was struggling with an offense that features fewer pick-and-rolls for him, fewer touches in the low post.
“It is harder,” Stoudemire said. “When you’re in the flow, everything flows. When you’re not, sometimes it’s hard to get involved.”
After the loss to Golden State, Stoudemire told reporters, “To keep losing these games the way we are, it’s not fun. I’m not used to it. It’s almost against my religion.”
Sources believe the Suns are more apt to shop Stoudemire to the Eastern Conference, where Toronto and New York are natural possibilities. Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo drafted Stoudemire for the Suns, and Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni helped turn him into an All-Star. Still, the acrimonious nature of Colangelo’s and D’Antoni’s departures could lessen Phoenix management’s willingness to deal with them.

Nevertheless, Phoenix promises once more be at the center of the league’s biggest trade talks leading up to the deadline.

portega1968

El Cacique
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-stoudemiresuns020509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

If Steve Kerr has his way, Stoudamire WILL be traded in the next few weeks. And he's not looking for an equal player; he's looking for expiring contracts (Malik Rose and Marbury), a young forward (Lee) and picks (we dont have much here, maybe will have to get a third team in on any deal).

But, it's doable because you know STAT would love to come to NYC with Mr. Pringles. He has a trade kicker, so maybe that will work in his favor.

If the deal involves Steph's expiring, then maybe it will have to include the long-term deals of Barbosa and JRich (J-Rich can't be traded until Feb. 10th)

Steph
Lee
Jeffries
Malik
picks

for

Stoudamire
Jason Richardson
Leandro Barbosa
Matt Barnes

It all sounds crazy and ya'll can trash me for the above... but I would be happy if Stoudamire lands with us this month, whatever it takes.

quiggle

Starter
hopefully the Knicks would be able to pull this off because if Amare's here then Nash might follow and then one of the free agents in 2010 and we're all set :peace:

richtree

Rotation player
yes, yes , yes ....do this...

1. we will make playoffs
2. we will make it more enticing for Wade to join
3. Amare will be a star and will want to stay
4. We could probably get him for cheaper now than ever
5. The suns would probably take less knowing that he wants out

metrocard

Legend
I"d love to have Bosh, but i'm not really a being Stoudmire fan. He's a good player but i don't think he has the basketball IQ or heart. All that said if it was a reasonable deal that made us better i'd be for it.

Bosh is a good defender i think hes just having an off year. During the Olympics he was the best inside defender on the team and was amazing at trapping the European teams pick n roles.

Bosh doesn't have the athleticism that STAT does but his overall game is stronger, plus his mid range jumper would be nice in this offense.

Bosh takes too many jumpshots. We need an inside presence. Bosh doesn't block, his defense is weak, offensively, he's not that DYNAMIC.

Bosh is overrated.
Amare isn't really all that either...but he's better than most, I would take him over BOSH because Amare can do it effectively IN THE PAINT...plus he has a jumpshot too.

I really like Greg MONROE...but I doubt we can get him.

dre48ny

Rotation player
This is a tricky one cause he is a free agent and even if he was traded to another team who knows if he signs an extension. He would wait to see if he can get reunited with D'antoni again as a free agent. i would not give up Lee, Chandler, or Gallo. Nate can be had and expiring contracts. No draft picks either.