NY Yankees 2009 Season Thread

Pricey

Rotation player
AROD YOU PIECE OF SH*T!!!!!

ARGGGGGHHHHHHH 5-0 in the 5th. We are stuffed. Yankees vs Phillies it looks like.

Paul1355

All Star
Game 5 was tragic

Honestly the one of the most tragic games I have seen in a while from the Yankees. They were horrible with runners on base...AGAIN..then poor it on and score and amazing 6 runs and all of a sudden...Aj gets two guys on base in the 7th and Phil Hughes...lights out Phil Hughes gives up 3 straight runs....this game was ridiculous. Aj is so inconsistent that Girardi should not trust him late in games anymore...and Jose Molina should never start in the post season again...we can't afford his horrible bat.

Nick Swisher has to be benched. Every time he is on base there are runners on and he hasn't done one positive thing in this entire post season.

BENCH SWISHER and PUT IN GARDNER...at least gardner has speed and can beat out a ground ball or bunt. Swisher strikes out or does absolutely nothing every time. He is in a slump and we can't afford that from a corner outfielder that can be replaced.

johnstarky

Rotation player
They were only 7 outs away from advancing to the World Series and Girardi miss manages the pitching like he did in game 3.Leaving Burnett in after he allowed the lead off batter to reach base was probably the turning point of the game.Demaso Marte getting the first 2 outs of the inning was over shadowed by Phil Hughes' inability to record the last out.

Hughes has looked like a completely different pitcher in this series and needs to straighten himself out if the Yankees are going to win a championship.

The bullpen hasn't been good as of late which is causing Girardi to over use Rivera and I don't think Rivera should have to bail out the base runners that the other Yankee relievers put on base.

Nick Swisher has been a disaster at the plate.How can he be in the lineup while Brett Gardner is only used to pinch run? These games are too important for the Yankees to be having Swisher fail for them in big spots.The guy cannot even hit a sac fly with less than 2 outs and is batting .118 in this series.Sure he hit 29 home runs for the Yankees during the regular season but the White Sox had good reasons for trading him away.

The Yankees need to close this series out on Saturday.In each of the two losses that they had in this series they blew a late inning lead.The Angels are a good hitting team but the Yankees need to have that killer approach in order to finish off these teams.Hopefully Yankee fans will be celebrating 2 days from now.

Paul1355

All Star
They were only 7 outs away from advancing to the World Series and Girardi miss manages the pitching like he did in game 3.Leaving Burnett in after he allowed the lead off batter to reach base was probably the turning point of the game.Demaso Marte getting the first 2 outs of the inning was over shadowed by Phil Hughes' inability to record the last out.

Hughes has looked like a completely different pitcher in this series and needs to straighten himself out if the Yankees are going to win a championship.

The bullpen hasn't been good as of late which is causing Girardi to over use Rivera and I don't think Rivera should have to bail out the base runners that the other Yankee relievers put on base.

Nick Swisher has been a disaster at the plate.How can he be in the lineup while Brett Gardner is only used to pinch run? These games are too important for the Yankees to be having Swisher fail for them in big spots.The guy cannot even hit a sac fly with less than 2 outs and is batting .118 in this series.Sure he hit 29 home runs for the Yankees during the regular season but the White Sox had good reasons for trading him away.

The Yankees need to close this series out on Saturday.In each of the two losses that they had in this series they blew a late inning lead.The Angels are a good hitting team but the Yankees need to have that killer approach in order to finish off these teams.Hopefully Yankee fans will be celebrating 2 days from now.

good post...agree with everything.

Just to add on some notes...The Yankee bullpen has given up an opponent batting average of .300 which is not like our bullpen.

Phil Hughes was analyzed on MLB Network and they clearly pointed out what you said about his attitude on the mound and how he is not the same pitcher. He is basically afraid to throw his fastball aggressively and keeps throwing outside and misses. He is vital to us wining a championship.

Swisher should be benched...Gardner is being wasted...his speed is more valuable than Nick Swisher's slump.

If Girardi trusts all of his starters and doesn't make some changes than he is a Joe Torre Jr. and putting too much trusts in struggling players that (were) good during the season.

Make some changes...thats our only hope.

johnstarky

Rotation player
Thanks for another great post, Paul.

THE YANKEES ARE 2009 AL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!!!!

What a stellar game pitched by Pettitte and the Yankee bullpen.

I haven't felt this confident about the Yankees since they played the Mets in the Sub Way series.

Hopefully they will win their 27th championship a week from now.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
NICE! were 4 wins away from our goal guys and its very doable, we've gotten this far playign as a team and with great pitching we continue that and the phillies arent going to stand a chance

my prediction yankees in 5 or 6

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
This series is going to be such a nail biter....

CC got killed by the Phillies last year. We lost the season series in Yankee Stadium. Cliff Lee has been just as dominant as CC. AJ has been inconsistent...so has Swish and Hughes...

I'm not making any predictions. Call me a pessimistic fan, but I'm not quite ready to get all my hopes up. Let me see how the first 2 games are played first.

Paul1355

All Star
We have confidence.

The Phillies are really going to have to play A+ baseball. They faced the Rockies and the Dodgers..the Rockies are team that wins on streaks and the Dodgers blew the sereis against the Phillies.

I think C.C is going to have confidence through the roof after winning the ALCS MVP over A-Rod. A.J is the only thing we have to worry about. AJ and Phil Hughes because they fell short in Game 5 BIG TIME, basically blew that entire game.

Texiera has to hit and Nick Swisher has to hit...when these guys slumped, it killed every rally. Thank God A-Rod is as hot as the sun to carry us offensively. We also got VERY LUCKY that the ANgels played horribly on the bases and in the field so we HAVE to capitalize on any mistakes.

Even though Nick Swisher FINALLY got a hit in game 6, Melky should bat in front of him. I think Melky batted .385 in the series and Swisher bated .185....can Joe just switch the two??..its not like we are dropping A-Rod 5 spots in the lineup.

KBlack25

Starter
This series worries me a lot but there are a couple of positives.

I think our ace, CC, is better than their ace, Lee, even though the picture is being painted that they are in a dead heat. Fact is, Lee hasn't faced a lineup quite like the Yankee lineup since he arrived in Philly. CC will have huge support from the Yankee crowd in Game 1. I think we take tonights game.

That presents a problem for Philly. If the Yankees go up 1-0, the Phillies will throw Pedro in Game 2. Yes, he's pitched well, but he like Lee has not faced a lineup quite like the Yankees'. Pedro is a power pitcher throwing 88/89. He's the type of guy the Yankees tattoo. I think the Yanks take Game 2.

I feel as though we will go into Philly up 2-0, which will essentially force a Philly sweep if they want a shot in the series. Call me crazy, but I like the way Gaudin has pitched. I have a lot of confidence in him were he to start in Game 5.

That said, I think the Yanks take this in 6. They take the first 2 at the stadium, win 1/3 in Philly and come home to win their 27th.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
This series worries me a lot but there are a couple of positives.

I think our ace, CC, is better than their ace, Lee, even though the picture is being painted that they are in a dead heat. Fact is, Lee hasn't faced a lineup quite like the Yankee lineup since he arrived in Philly. CC will have huge support from the Yankee crowd in Game 1. I think we take tonights game.

That presents a problem for Philly. If the Yankees go up 1-0, the Phillies will throw Pedro in Game 2. Yes, he's pitched well, but he like Lee has not faced a lineup quite like the Yankees'. Pedro is a power pitcher throwing 88/89. He's the type of guy the Yankees tattoo. I think the Yanks take Game 2.

I feel as though we will go into Philly up 2-0, which will essentially force a Philly sweep if they want a shot in the series. Call me crazy, but I like the way Gaudin has pitched. I have a lot of confidence in him were he to start in Game 5.

That said, I think the Yanks take this in 6. They take the first 2 at the stadium, win 1/3 in Philly and come home to win their 27th.

So far you 0 for 1. Hope you dont strike out.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Shit, we really gotta do something in Philly now.

Lee dominated us, Our pitching sucked. (CC pitches the SAME pitch in the SAME spot on the strike zone to the SAME player Chase Utley TWICE, and he makes us pay). From the first inning, I knew when CC loaded the bases, this would be a long night. It is really unnatural for him to do something like that.

Our offense was even worse. A-Rod struck out 3 times. Where did he go? Where did Tex go? Is A-Rod returning to his 2007 form?

We need to win tomorrow. NEED TO WIN. OR else Rollins will be right and it is Phillies in 4 or 5. I'm really starting to hate him.

I can't watch that happen. This team is notorious for comebacks. We need one, whether it be tomorrow, Saturday, whenever.

Just get us that 27th ring....It's been too long.

KBlack25

Starter
Shit, we really gotta do something in Philly now.

Lee dominated us, Our pitching sucked. (CC pitches the SAME pitch in the SAME spot on the strike zone to the SAME player Chase Utley TWICE, and he makes us pay). From the first inning, I knew when CC loaded the bases, this would be a long night. It is really unnatural for him to do something like that.

Our offense was even worse. A-Rod struck out 3 times. Where did he go? Where did Tex go? Is A-Rod returning to his 2007 form?

We need to win tomorrow. NEED TO WIN. OR else Rollins will be right and it is Phillies in 4 or 5. I'm really starting to hate him.

I can't watch that happen. This team is notorious for comebacks. We need one, whether it be tomorrow, Saturday, whenever.

Just get us that 27th ring....It's been too long.

I hear what you are saying...but bottom line:

CC gave up 2 runs over seven innings.

TWO RUNS
OVER
SEVEN

You can't ask for much more. The fact is the Yankees got him no runs, and only scored because of an error in the 9th. CC was totally fine, IMO. Sure he looked like he may have struggled a bit, but ultimately, at the end of the day it's two runs over seven, and that's pretty darn good.

Lee looked like a stud, and the Yanks looked terrible at the dish...

LeFlume

All Star
Pedro gives me bad wibes. If we go down 0-2 then have to play two NL games in Philly. bad bad bad..We have to win this game.

Paul1355

All Star
Pedro gives me bad wibes. If we go down 0-2 then have to play two NL games in Philly. bad bad bad..We have to win this game.

if we lose game 2 then kiss this series good bye and hope we don't get swept....if we keep hitting like this...we aren't getting one win in the series.

We are relying on the homerun ball and never getting a rally....bad signs.