Brand injured again..this time for the season

Sixers' Brand out for season
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Philadelphia 76ers forward Elton Brand will miss the rest of the 2008-09 season, as he is scheduled to undergo shoulder surgery next Monday.
Brand will have a torn labrum repaired at the Wilmington Surgery Center and will not return until next season.
"Elton wanted to do whatever he could to get back on the court and initially elected to forgo surgery in order to help his teammates," Sixers president and general manager Ed Stefanski said. "He worked as hard as he could over the past six weeks to return; however, the scope of the injury would not allow it."
This marks the second straight year that Brand will miss nearly all of the season, as he played in only eight games last year for the Clippers due to a serious Achilles injury.
Brand underwent an MRI exam on Wednesday that reportedly came back clean but team orthopedist and medical director Dr. Jack McPhilemy along with Dr. Craig Morgan reviewed the results and determined that "the initial tear of the labrum in Brand's right shoulder is responsible for a considerable decrease in the range of motion and instability, both of which would not allow him to be effective on the court."
Brand signed a lucrative five-year, $80 million deal in the offseason to join the Sixers and has largely been a disappointment for the club this season, as Philadelphia has posted only a 23-24 record amid large expectations. Brand has appeared in only 29 games, missing significant time after injuring the shoulder on December 17 against Milwaukee.
Since returning from his 16-game absence, Brand has been largely inefficient, averaging just 5.7 points and 4.7 rebounds in 18 minutes during six games. He began to use a spandex shirt under his jersey to offset the stiffness he had been feeling in his shoulder, but it didn't boost the forward's effectiveness.
The first overall pick of the 1999 draft by Chicago, Brand posted a career-low 13.8 points and 8.8 rebounds per game this season, down from career averages of 20.0 and 10.1, respectively.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/news.aspx?id=4209481

First Michael Redd, now Brand. Hopefully Devin Harris next lol jk. Knicks playoff chances lookin really good right now.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
dude just cant stay healthy.....one less team to worry abut for the 8th seed-race it's basically ours to lose

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Man Philly killed themself givin him that 80mil contract!
If they were real smart, they would've taken Josh Smith.

Thank the Lord they didn't!:afro:

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
dude just cant stay healthy.....one less team to worry abut for the 8th seed-race it's basically ours to lose

not at all,this team has been gelling well w.o brand. dont forget philly thrives in a open court, fast paced, A.I dominated offense. brand didnt fit in early in the season, but as long as A.I is healthy this team shud be a 7th place lock. igoudala has really looked like a star since brand has gone down. it will be interesting to see how the sixers fare with brand next year.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

haha my thoughts exactly! i alwayz wondered what wud happen if the hawks traded josh smith for elton brand when brand was healthy. smith wud be a perfect fit next to igoudala (imagining those two together on a fast break is scary), while the hawks maybe cud have used brand as a dominate post presence since they play more of a half court game than philly does. i doubt it wud happen or will ever happen, but its always been an idea since seeing elton brand's failed attempt with the sixers (so far at least)

JayJ44

Starter
Brand will make Philly a better team during the playoffs. You need a low-post scorer in the playoffs, because it is not as fast paced and more of a half-court game. But during the season, it hasn't been working out so far. Maybe they would have gotten better as the season went on, who knows? But either way, this doesn't help us with our playoff hunt much.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I think they will be really good after allstar break, like last year. But man, givin EB that huge contract? Dumb move.

If they did have Josh Smith, Cheeks would have still have his Job and they probably would have been in atlanta's position. And Iggy would have been an all star.

thats WOULD HAVE.

Ah, how i laugh at other dumb GMs.:gony:

Paul1355

All Star

yup Brand had a history of injuries that Philley should have look at more seriously...guys like that are hard to trust when it comes to signing them to a huge deal. Philley screwed themselves on that one.

And he actually slowed them down as a team and they played worse when he played this year. Philley is a high uptempo team and Brand would always slow them down as if Philley would wait for Brand all the time on the court lol.

They should trade him when he gets healthy again and get rid of him.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
yup Brand had a history of injuries that Philley should have look at more seriously...guys like that are hard to trust when it comes to signing them to a huge deal. Philley screwed themselves on that one.

And he actually slowed them down as a team and they played worse when he played this year. Philley is a high uptempo team and Brand would always slow them down as if Philley would wait for Brand all the time on the court lol.

They should trade him when he gets healthy again and get rid of him.

Yeah, but i dont see many teams, or any, taking that contract.