David Lee on Starbury, becoming an elite player

JayJ44

Starter
On Stephon: "I never had an issue with Steph. From my experiences, I think a lot of things were blown out of proportion . . . In our minds, we've sort of moved on. Not in a bad way or a good way, but just the issue is dead."
On the change of atmosphere this season: "The chemsitry and character of our team is improved . . . You can definitely agree that we're headed in the right direction."
On considering himself an elite player in the NBA: "To be honest with you, I'm starting to. The coaches always give me trouble that I'm holding myself back, that the sky would be the limit if I would continue to have that confidence in myself. I'm starting to get it this year because I'm finally am given the freedom to be aggressive offensively. And there's an adjustment process in that . . . So I'm starting to believe more and more that I can be one of the best power forwards-slash-centers in the league. And I think the numbers reflect that . . . [But] I'm a big believer that the second you starting thinking that way, that things go downhill. I still know I can get a lot better."
http://blogs.trb.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2009/02/lee_i_can_be_one_of_the_best_i.html

You can download the podcast of the interview here:
http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/archive?id=3377146

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
he has and OK jumpshot some nights its on others he cant buy one he's inconsistent from outside i think if he hits it consistently then he'll make the jump to allstar

Still improving alot from his rookie and sophomore years where his only shot was a dunk. Chances are wherever he is next year, hes gonna be even better-just based on his work ethic.

dude we are over estimating D lee's youth, personally he may improve his jump shot, but he is going over his mid twenties, PLayers in this league rarely ever make leaps and bounds of improvement after 26 years of age. PRetty much every other dominant big man in the league is a year , two, or three years younger than lee.

bosh,
amare
dwight
aldridge
beasley
beidreins
oden
bynum
bogut

im not saying all of these players are all stars, but I really feel that they are either already head and shoulders over lee in their prime, and younger than lee, or have a higher ceiling than lee.

yet every one claims this guy is going to be the man.

every player i named either will at some point lead their team to the playoffs year in and year out, or already have been doing that. and thats a short list, im sure other smart basketball IQ fans on this site can add more names to that list.

Lee was over shadowed by randolph at the start of the year, even Mike D knew that zach was a better all around basketball player, the dude averaged over a steal in his stint with the knicks, so he was even more effective on defense than lee.

MIKE D IS THE BEST COACH IN THIS LEAGUE AT MAKING REGULAR PLAYERS LOOK MUCH BETTER THAN THEY ARE and he has proven that this year with lee, that pick and roll they abuse on a regular basis has inflated lees stats, especially being that there are only small forwards and point guards on this team.

Kiyaman

Legend
David Lee is a complimentary player which blends in with his teammates performance....Lee's Knick teammates need his inside game 95% more than they need his outside game. He is not a Zach or Harrington who will take the majority of their shots outside on the peremeter.

Look at Dallas Dirk who been shooting from the outside like he is a 7.0 SF or SG and wonder why a small G.S. team eliminated Dallas in the first round....coach Don Nelson made Dirk the Mavs weakness not strong star player.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Now that Randolph is gone Lee is our only double double guy. I think Walsh needs to make him a real offer. I like Robinson too, but Lee is more consistent. Next season Richardson is in the final year of his contract (Trade asset) and Jeffries will have two remanding years (possible asset) so it is possible that these guys can be moved for something short term. I could see Richardson/Curry packaged for something so we wouldn't need to cut Lee/Robinson loose. That may be being optimistic. Lee or Robinson could be shipped along with Richardson/Curry to sweeten the deal.

Maybe we're putting a little too much stock in 2010. We still need a team around who ever we get. Gallo/Chandler will be all we have left. Got to consider giving Harrington a deal. Other then Lee/Robinson, no one else on the team is worth a damn. Next season will be interesting contract wise. Will Duhon get an extension?

latiger12

Rookie
if lee gets some scola like moves, he will b a complete beast<OBJECT height=0 width=0 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<embed src="http://www.latourgolf.net/la-tour-golf-nets/pages/1955/are-pro-golfers-afraid-to-comment-on-tiger-woods-and-that-the-mass-medica-will-construe-it-as-racism.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></OBJECT>
</P>
Yeah, I agree here. He needs to up his game just a hair and he can be an elite player.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
yea Lee's looking to get paid this year, but in this economy i dont see anyone pulling the trigger on possibly overpaying him. Nate will come at like 5 mil a season which is reasonable, besides it helps that they both wanna remain knicks.

how sweet would it be if Curry, treminates his contract this offseason, he has a ETO......:cool:

TunerAddict

Starter
yea Lee's looking to get paid this year, but in this economy i dont see anyone pulling the trigger on possibly overpaying him. Nate will come at like 5 mil a season which is reasonable, besides it helps that they both wanna remain knicks.

how sweet would it be if Curry, treminates his contract this offseason, he has a ETO......:cool:

We can only dream...