Fire D'antoni!!!

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
yea we have to remember after trading Zbo and Craw, that this yr was going to be a 'growing' process...we've played well since then and people have sort of forgot that, which is a good thing..but we have to remember the moves were made not to make a us a better team this yr, but for the long run...anything we do here this yr or next, as far as playoffs and what not go, should really be seen as an unexpected bonus

Paul1355

All Star
Anyone can do better than Isiah Thomas.Any coach with a brain can win more than 23 games during an NBA regular season.

The knicks were not the worse team in the NBA with Thomas, believe it or not. And Mike D has brought this team a step forward and they finally have confidence as a team, are becoming team oriented unlike the past couple years, and Mike D stresses chemistry more than any other coach.

He is a perfect fit and once we get these guys to play longer together and hopefully get a star player, then you'll take back wut u say about Mike D.

Kiyaman

Legend
Some of you people are absolutely rediculous. Yea lets fire the coach who has gotten a whole team of role players to play fairly well this season. In reality we don't even have a player who would be a second option on a good team playing on our roster. In my book we've over achieved immensely.

Go read some posts from the summer where everybody was predicting we would be a 30 win team. Hey fellas we are going to end up somehwere in the 30's and considering we were the laughing stock on the league last year thats a step in the right direction. Last year half the games were over at halftime. This team battles atleast. Despite all our defeciencies as a team were in every game. This is a league of superstars and we don't have a superstar.

Walsh and D'Antoni have devolped the young guys, gave us cap space, and have started to remove the stains of the last regime. But hey lets fire the coach and GM because this team was supposed to magically make the finals this year??? Get the **** outta here people start using your heads.

People were so caught up in making the 8th seed that they were blinded. IN reality who cares if we make the 8th seed and get swept by Lebron. Lets hope to get lucky in the lottery and add another piece to the puzzle.

Stop living in the past... Marbury, Isiah, Channing fyre, Crawford, Randolph are gone. Enjoy the rebuilding process and get ready for the rebirth. And don't hate for the sole pupose of hating.

Coach Dantoni vs coach Isiah = Equal

The Knick players refuse to play for coach Isiah Thomas (No Effort).
The Knick players are playing for their future on the next team for coach Dantoni (the same thing Marbury & Zach would've been doing this season).

It's ashame that no one remember the Knicks run n gun game that WON 6 straight games under coach Larry Brown....or the run n gun game off the bench with Nate, Craw, Taz, Lee, and Frye.
Coach Dantoni did not bring anything new to New York that was not already there waiting to be used....other than the Green-Light to shoot 3-Balls.

The Knicks been lacking DEFENSE....DEFENSE....DEFENSE as soon as President Isiah Thomas got rid of coach Chaney, Charlie Ward, Anderson, Kurt Thomas, and Mutombo...

Kiyaman

Legend
Mike D'Antoni chose not to get into a verbal firefight with Charles Barkley over the TNT analyst's comment that D'Antoni's Phoenix teams played "sissy ball." "I have my thoughts, but I'm not going to say anything," D'Antoni said before the Knicks played the Heat Saturday night. "I don't win with that one. He gets to talk every day, I don't. So I'll let that one go." D'Antoni did acknowledge that it's not the first time that Barkley has ripped his style of play. When D'Antoni coached the Suns, Barkley, a Phoenix-area resident, used to criticize the Suns' lack of defense. "More than once," D'Antoni said, laughing. "But that's his deal. He's an entertainer." Thursday night, Barkley went after D'Antoni ball again when he discussed the Knick coach's former team during a Suns-Lakers telecast.

"Just for the record (former Suns coach) Terry Porter got the shaft," Barkley said. "They brought him in to make the team play defense, but the players gave up, they did not want to play defense. As a player, players want to play like this. The great teams always play defense, but most players just want to run up and down the court. The Suns have played sissy ball for the last few years. It's fun to watch, it's exciting, but they don't have those types of players (who can play defense)."

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->[URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...charles_b.html"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...charles_b.html
[/URL]

When Walsh signed Dantoni....
I thought more Knick-Fans would've looked at Dantoni and saw the samething Barley saw....NO DEFENSE....NO Shotblocking Bigman to dominate the paint....and no big games won.

I guess it was only a few of us that was unsatisfied with the signing of coach Dantoni....but was happy for a replacement of coach Isiah.

Blumatic

Rotation player
I'm sorry who ever made this thread is an idiot. Who ever agrees is a moron as well.

Notice when D'antoni left the Suns completely fell off, then they admitted their mistake by going back to D'antoni's philosophy.

You guys are just looking for a scapegoat.

No Finals appearance. Oh and who have they lost to each time. THE SPURS.

Larry Brown (a defensive coach) won a championship. Look where that got us.

And who else was available for us to get. NOBODY.

How many team that got their coaches fired this year or last has done well so far. Uh....barely any.

It's still the same roster.

We have no shot blockers. And our bigs our very short. That is our main problem. This team plays hard. They play really hard but they are poorly constructed on the defensive end.

If Dwight Howard was on this team we would be a 45 to 50 win team. Why b/c no one would go to the paint.

Now ya'll wanna fire someone just for the sake of change.

Some of you fans are so abused by this franchises failures that the only way you guys feel good about this team is by personnel change. When there's a trade or management change, this is when you certain fans get gitty. And when things go bad you need another change.

And to the Steph lovers, he is a horrible leader. He might be helpful in Boston because he's not the man anymore. He's a back up now.

JUST STOP IT!!!!!

KryptoN8

Rookie
Fools

Since Mike D'antoni has been in the league:

Greg Popavich= 3 championships

Larry Brown= 1 championship

Pat Riley= 1 championship

Doc Rivers=1 championship

Mike D'antoni= ZERO CHAMPIONSHIPS!! Without one NBA finals appearance

Now what were you saying about D'antoni being the best coach in the NBA? Did you mean best coach in the locker room?

WOW!!! You had me sold all the way up to DOC RIVERS!!! Are you kidding DOC can't coach a pack of lions to eat meat. The only reason Doc looks like a genius is because he has a coach in Garnett. Take Garnett out of this equation and you got yourself a 6-7th seeded Celtics. Doc gets way to much credit. Celtics traded there way to a championship.

Dude anyone can coach a team with talent. Its upsurd to even think that D'antoni just because D'antoni hasn't been in a finals that he isn't a great coach. If we all remember correctly stupid league rules regarding Amare getting on the floor in a game 6 suspended him causing the Suns a championship. That was no doubt there year. D'antoni is doing more with less and he's bringing results. He's bringing ENERGY as he always says, I've yet seen a player on the Knicks walk the floor since he's been here. You and all the other fools on this forum who really think he's a bad coach need to really reaccess your basketball knowledge!!!

I can't wait to see what D'antoni does with some pure talent! Do you really think if the Bulls had him as there coach right now they would be out of the playoffs? The Bulls would have been probably one of the top 4 seeds. Over the Heat.

......FOOLS..........

clumsy

Rotation player
The moment you get rid of D'Antoni and his uptempo offense you guys will quickly realize a lot of things.

Mainly How atrocious the teams roster actually is. In a halfcourt offense you will quickly see Chris Duhon is absolute trash. He will give you 8 and 5.

And that David Lee is not a 15 and 10 player. Also the Wilson Chandler really is a very mediocre player. Everyone's ppg totals will fall, and we will lose by a much bigger margin, because not only will we not be able to stop anyone, we also won't be able to score. In my opinion D'Antoni was the smartest thing Walsh could have done to get rid of bad contracts.

Kiyaman

Legend
The moment you get rid of D'Antoni and his uptempo offense you guys will quickly realize a lot of things.

Mainly How atrocious the teams roster actually is. In a halfcourt offense you will quickly see Chris Duhon is absolute trash. He will give you 8 and 5.

And that David Lee is not a 15 and 10 player. Also the Wilson Chandler really is a very mediocre player. Everyone's ppg totals will fall, and we will lose by a much bigger margin, because not only will we not be able to stop anyone, we also won't be able to score. In my opinion D'Antoni was the smartest thing Walsh could have done to get rid of bad contracts.

Everybody knows Dantoni is not going anywhere any time soon....but his NO-Defense fisaco in the 4th qrt. of the Miami game....having three top defensive players in the Trio of Duhon, Hughes, and Jefferies to double or tripple the D.Wades, Lebrons, and Kobe's now....and not use them while losing a 15 point 4th quarter lead....the best words for coach Dantoni in New York is no-defense "FIRE-DANTONI!".

Wilson Chandler is this team future scorer....David Lee is this teams future PF....Nate is this teams future energy combo-guard....this was discovered when Dantoni was coaching Phoenix.

The combination of players are on this team...
Defense & Offense

JayJ44

Starter
Everybody knows Dantoni is not going anywhere any time soon....but his NO-Defense fisaco in the 4th qrt. of the Miami game....having three top defensive players in the Trio of Duhon, Hughes, and Jefferies to double or tripple the D.Wades, Lebrons, and Kobe's now....and not use them while losing a 15 point 4th quarter lead....the best words for coach Dantoni in New York is no-defense "FIRE-DANTONI!".

Wilson Chandler is this team future scorer....David Lee is this teams future PF....Nate is this teams future energy combo-guard....this was discovered when Dantoni was coaching Phoenix.

The combination of players are on this team...
Defense & Offense

You mean the players didn't play defense? How the hell are you gonna blame that on the coach?

"3 top defensive players?" You're joking right? Duhon and Jeffries are below average defenders, nothing special at all. Hughes is average, he gets steals sometimes. You think any of them can stop D-Wade, Kobe or Lebron? :rolleyes:

Some of you people are absolutely rediculous. Yea lets fire the coach who has gotten a whole team of role players to play fairly well this season. In reality we don't even have a player who would be a second option on a good team playing on our roster. In my book we've over achieved immensely.

Go read some posts from the summer where everybody was predicting we would be a 30 win team. Hey fellas we are going to end up somehwere in the 30's and considering we were the laughing stock on the league last year thats a step in the right direction. Last year half the games were over at halftime. This team battles atleast. Despite all our defeciencies as a team were in every game. This is a league of superstars and we don't have a superstar.

Walsh and D'Antoni have devolped the young guys, gave us cap space, and have started to remove the stains of the last regime. But hey lets fire the coach and GM because this team was supposed to magically make the finals this year??? Get the **** outta here people start using your heads.

People were so caught up in making the 8th seed that they were blinded. IN reality who cares if we make the 8th seed and get swept by Lebron. Lets hope to get lucky in the lottery and add another piece to the puzzle.

Stop living in the past... Marbury, Isiah, Channing fyre, Crawford, Randolph are gone. Enjoy the rebuilding process and get ready for the rebirth. And don't hate for the sole pupose of hating.

co-sign finally some logical rational through processes going on here, get real, im with you 100 percent.

Now what were you saying about D'antoni being the best coach in the NBA? Did you mean best coach in the locker room?

dude what r u talking about mike D has been in the league 6 years. and your comparing him to greg pop, patt riley, and larry brown.

larry brown won with one of the best starting fives to play over the past decade,

greg pop, manu. tim duncan, parker ( hall of famers)

pat riley ( payton, shaq, wade, and a week eastern conference to get there other than the pistons )

I Cant believe your comparing mike d who had to conference finals appearences and a 60 win team in the western conference to these other coaches who in some respects took decades to win their first title, and in 6 yrs, he won how many games.

JUST PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP THIS NONSENSE i dont know if its that most of you are really young and dont know what your talking about, or your just really bored. but this stupidity has got to stop

johnstarky

Rotation player
I'm sorry who ever made this thread is an idiot. Who ever agrees is a moron as well.

Notice when D'antoni left the Suns completely fell off, then they admitted their mistake by going back to D'antoni's philosophy.

You guys are just looking for a scapegoat.

No Finals appearance. Oh and who have they lost to each time. THE SPURS.

Larry Brown (a defensive coach) won a championship. Look where that got us.

And who else was available for us to get. NOBODY.

How many team that got their coaches fired this year or last has done well so far. Uh....barely any.

It's still the same roster.

We have no shot blockers. And our bigs our very short. That is our main problem. This team plays hard. They play really hard but they are poorly constructed on the defensive end.

If Dwight Howard was on this team we would be a 45 to 50 win team. Why b/c no one would go to the paint.

Now ya'll wanna fire someone just for the sake of change.

Some of you fans are so abused by this franchises failures that the only way you guys feel good about this team is by personnel change. When there's a trade or management change, this is when you certain fans get gitty. And when things go bad you need another change.

And to the Steph lovers, he is a horrible leader. He might be helpful in Boston because he's not the man anymore. He's a back up now.

JUST STOP IT!!!!!

Okay so according to you nobody is allowed to have a different opinion from yours because it will make them an idiot?

Noone is looking for a scapegoat, D'antoni is just not a championship coach.Most Knick fans are in denial about it because they always like to praise mediocrity at it's finest and confuse it for greatness. I know it might hurt your feelings to realize something like that but it's true.

When Mike D'antoni left the Suns they didn't completely fall off, they were still a number of games above .500 and always in the playoff hunt.If they would be sitting in the Western conference standings with a similar record as the Clippers or the Grizzlies than you have a valid point there.The reason why Steve Kerr didn't bring back D'antoni after last season was because he believed that his team had the ability to play solid defense and knew that D'Antoni wasn't going to teach those players how to do that.Little did he know that his team wasn't built to play defense and that the players weren't going to be happy about playing a different style.Terry Porter was fired because the Suns weren't heading in the right direction as a team.The reason why Kerr went back to the run and gun philosophy was because it was the only way that the team had any chace of making the playoffs this season and at the same time keeping the players on the team happy, it wasn't because Steve Kerr so missed Mike D'antoni and his style of coaching, Steve Kerr had no choice but to go back to what the Suns players were capable of doing.

Larry Brown has an NBA coaching record of 1035-835,47+ win seasons with 6 different NBA teams, and has a championship ring.It's an insult to even put Mike D'antoni's name next to his.He wasn't even given a chance while he was in NY.When he was here he had a head case in Stephon Marbury and a number of players that didn't like being told what to do because they were self centered and cared little about playing for their coach.I'm sure that if he would of still been coaching with the Knicks they would of made the playoffs at least twice.

You need to pay more attention to what's happening around the league.The Sixers fired Maurice Cheeks and they have improved their record since.The Phoenix Suns fired Terry Porter and they look like a much better team right now.

I agree with you that this team lacks a big man that can block shots and guard other centers but giving up 37 points in the 4th quarter,allowing a guy to score 24 points in the same quarter,and the inability to hold opponents under 110 points almost every game is never going to get this team far even if they had a center or a superstar player.

Yes I am completely disgusted with Jim Dolan and the way he has handled this franchise for the last decade.Infact my disgust goes back to the Ewing days when they had such a great team but failed to bring home a championship.Any Knick fan that says that they don't have any frustration in them is either lying or isn't a true Knicks fan at all.For so long this franchise has been an embarrassment to it's fans and to it's city.Because of this I believe that every Knick fan has the right to complain and be disgusted with their team until they win a championship, the fact that the Knicks have a coach right now that is far from a championship coach shouldn't be anything to be excited about.

quiggle

Starter
how do the Knicks have some of the greatest coaches in Pat Riley, Lenny Wilkens, Mike Fratello and Larry Brown yet they have nothing to show for it? I wonder what the direction of the franchise would have become had we made a serious offer for Phil Jackson and gotten rid of Van Gundy.

johnstarky

Rotation player

dude what r u talking about mike D has been in the league 6 years. and your comparing him to greg pop, patt riley, and larry brown.

larry brown won with one of the best starting fives to play over the past decade,

greg pop, manu. tim duncan, parker ( hall of famers)

pat riley ( payton, shaq, wade, and a week eastern conference to get there other than the pistons )

I Cant believe your comparing mike d who had to conference finals appearences and a 60 win team in the western conference to these other coaches who in some respects took decades to win their first title, and in 6 yrs, he won how many games.

JUST PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP THIS NONSENSE i dont know if its that most of you are really young and dont know what your talking about, or your just really bored. but this stupidity has got to stop

Pat Riley won a championship in his first year as head coach,won 4 championships in his first 7 years in the NBA, has taken 3 different NBA teams to the finals,has 5 NBA rings and would have 6 right now if not for his one mistake in the 1994 finals, which was the refusal of benching John Starks in game 7.I am going to cut D'antoni a little slack on comparing him to Riley because those Laker teams that Riley coached were no where in the same league as D'antoni's Phoenix Suns.

It only took Coach Popovich 3 seasons to win an NBA championship.Something that Coach Bob Hill wasn't able to previously do with David Robinson and a good Spurs team.

Mike D'antoni had Amare,Shaq,Nash,Joe Johnson and Marion, and still couldn't make one finals appearance.

During Larry Brown's first NBA year he won 50 games with the Denver Nuggets in a very tough league at the time.Mike D'antoni led the Suns to 50+ win seasons in a much easier league, in which there were fewer great defensive teams, fewer hall of fame type players and the weakest eastern conference of all time.If the Pistons were such a great team without Larry Brown, why couldn't Coach Saunders win a title with the same group of players? Where have the Pistons been since the departure of Larry brown?They have been disintergrating year after year.

All it takes is an NBA team with at least 2 all-stars and a mediocre coach to win 50 games and make a couple of conference finals appearances in today's league.You make Mike D'antoni an NBA coach in any previous decade and he wouldn't survive for one full season.

So you have to be at least age 40 or above to know whether Mike D'antoni is a great coach or not? Geez that's a new one!

TunerAddict

Starter
Pat Riley won a championship in his first year as head coach,won 4 championships in his first 7 years in the NBA, has taken 3 different NBA teams to the finals,has 5 NBA rings and would have 6 right now if not for his one mistake in the 1994 finals, which was the refusal of benching John Starks in game 7.I am going to cut D'antoni a little slack on comparing him to Riley because those Laker teams that Riley coached were no where in the same league as D'antoni's Phoenix Suns.

It only took Coach Popovich 3 seasons to win an NBA championship.Something that Coach Bob Hill wasn't able to previously do with David Robinson and a good Spurs team.

Mike D'antoni had Amare,Shaq,Nash,Joe Johnson and Marion, and still couldn't make one finals appearance.

During Larry Brown's first NBA year he won 50 games with the Denver Nuggets in a very tough league at the time.Mike D'antoni led the Suns to 50+ win seasons in a much easier league, in which there were fewer great defensive teams, fewer hall of fame type players and the weakest eastern conference of all time.If the Pistons were such a great team without Larry Brown, why couldn't Coach Saunders win a title with the same group of players? Where have the Pistons been since the departure of Larry brown?They have been disintergrating year after year.

All it takes is an NBA team with at least 2 all-stars and a mediocre coach to win 50 games and make a couple of conference finals appearances in today's league.You make Mike D'antoni an NBA coach in any previous decade and he wouldn't survive for one full season.

So you have to be at least age 40 or above to know whether Mike D'antoni is a great coach or not? Geez that's a new one!

Pistons were a better team when Brown left. They kept their defense but improved their offense under Flip Saunders...

johnstarky

Rotation player
how do the Knicks have some of the greatest coaches in Pat Riley, Lenny Wilkens, Mike Fratello and Larry Brown yet they have nothing to show for it? I wonder what the direction of the franchise would have become had we made a serious offer for Phil Jackson and gotten rid of Van Gundy.

Pat Riley would of had a championship with the Knicks but ran into bad luck.The Charles Smith blunder in game 5 of the 93' Eastern Conference finals, Olajuwon's blocked shot in game 6 of the 94' NBA finals,Reggie Miller's two three pointers in the final seconds of game 1 of the 95' Eastern conference semi finals and Patrick Ewing's missed layup in game 7 of the same series.

When Lenny Wilkins was coaching the Knicks they were already battered from the previous years but he still lead them to the playoffs despite the fact that Isiah Thomas traded away two of their better players in Michael Doleac and Keith Van Horn.

Mike Fratello never coached the Knicks but has been able to do a lot more with a lot less talent than D'antoni had in Phoenix.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, Larry Brown wasn't given the opportunity to shine in NY.I was extremely happy when the Knicks first gave him that contract and became disappointed after he was fired.A lot of Knick fans like to forget that they too were all giddy about the hiring of Larry Brown when it took place a few years ago but now they like to rip the guy apart and put him in the same category as coach Bill Hanzlik.

I wasn't too sold on Phil Jackson.He has never been able to win a championship without at least having two of the best players in the league on his teams,has never coached a bad team and would of not coached the Knicks to an NBA championship with the poor decisions that Jim Dolan was making in the past.

starky your reading selectively. I never said every player took decades, i was speaking in terms of larry brown. pat riley is one of the top coaches of all time, and won titles with jabbar, shaq, wade, magic johnson, worthy, and took the knicks to the finals with ewing oakley, starks, and so on and so forth, you are judging mike D in comparison to those coaches based on the squad we have now haha. I just dont get it

so lets break this down

john starksy or whateva.

your telling me that if mike D coached the magic johnson run lakers, they wouldnt win a title ?????

or how about if we had shaq 4 yrs younger, and an on fire D Wade, mike d wouldnt be able to coach this team to the finals

or if our starting line up was a prime B wallace, r wallace, rip ham, billups ( in mvp form) and T prince a long fast athletic shot blocking small fwd, we wouldnt be a 56 win team this year.

my whole point to my post was that we are analyzing a coach who has role players for a team, and are displaying the audacity to compare him to nba coach royalty after one season ..

basically, your arguments are null.
void and omitted by any one who knows anything about basketball.

end of story.

johnstarky

Rotation player
Pistons were a better team when Brown left. They kept their defense but improved their offense under Flip Saunders...

They never kept their defense under Saunders especially during the 3 times they were in the Eastern Conference Finals.

In his first year with the Pistons they lost in 6 games to a Miami Heat team that they previously beat the year before.

In his second year, the Pistons were up 2-0 against the Cavs and allowed them to come back and win the series,everyone knew that the Pistons should of doubled Lebron James when he was going on an offensive outburst in game 5 of that series,Larry Brown would of never allowed such a thing like that to happen.

In his third year, they lost to the Celtics and by then Joe Dumars realized that Flip Saunders wasn't the right coach for them.