Melo a Knick?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't know what Frank Isola is thinking with this one. Carmelo is a bum and I wouldn't want him in NY.

Thoughts?

Feeling 'Melo
March 3, 2009
By Frank Isola

Carmelo Anthony will one day become a Knick.

How do I know this? It's simple. By process of elimination.

Let's assume that LeBron James remains in Cleveland which I know sounds crazy to most rationale people but LeBron is from the state of Ohio. If he were from Texas or Washington or South Dakota I'm guessing he would leave Cleveland tomorrow for New York.

But the Cavs have built a contending team and with the threat of a lockout looming in 2011, LeBron has to option to sign an extension this summer with Cleveland.

Dwyane Wade would be second on the Knicks wish list but if you were a betting man you'd probably wager that Wade, who has already won a title in Miami, will remain with the Heat and go down as the greatest player in the history of the franchise. I just don't see a guy from Chicago leaving Miami to live in New York in the winter time.

That leaves Carmelo as the next player on our list. I believe he's well ahead of Chris Bosh, who has gone from under-appreciated to over-rated in a short amount of time. Again, if he's so good why is his team so bloody awful?

Amar'e Stoudemire is a good option but I think Mike D'Antoni would only take Stoudemire if he could also have Steve Nash in his prime and the chances are the Knicks are going to end up with Nash on his last legs.

Which brings us back to Melo, the future Knick. He is more of a Knick than any of the current superstars. Think about it; Like Patrick Ewing, he's from the Big East and won an NCAA title. Like Latrell Sprewell, he comes with baggage and cornrows. Like Bernard King he was born in Brooklyn. Like Earl Monroe he grew up in Baltimore.

He has his flaws which is very Knick-like. Ewing, Sprewell, Oakley, Starks and Mason had their flaws as well. LeBron is too perfect. Just like Kobe. And just like Jordan. Those are the guys we want to beat.

The Nuggets discussed the possibility of trading Carmelo last year and the Nets emerged as the most likely team to acquire him because of Carmelo's history with Kiki Vandeweghe. Carmelo, of course, now has a history with Mike D'Antoni having played for the U.S. National team.

The Knicks would jump at chance to land Carmelo, who in D'Antoni's system would be a power forward and would eat up opponents with his quickness and superior scoring ability. Denver has made trades for financial reasons as recently as last summer when the club dealt Marcus Camby to the Clippers. With the outlook for the economy bleak, Denver again may be looking to cut pay-roll. And judging from Carmelo's most recent transgression - he was suspended one game by the club for refusing to come out of a game against Indiana - is further proof that the team is losing its patience with their star player.

Maybe the Knicks could get Carmelo this summer by offering expiring contracts and draft picks. Or they could use their salary cap space to trade for him in 2010. I'm sure a couple of old Tar Heels, Donnie Walsh and George Karl, can work something out.

Sure Carmelo is no LeBron but he's pretty darn good.

So if you're looking for someone to root for this postseason - assuming the Knicks don't qualify - support the team that faces Denver in first round. Another quick exit by the Nuggets could force a shake-up in Denver and perhaps lead to Melo coming home.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
always been a fan of melo. Im sure he would love to become the star player in his hometown. His pro's outweigh the con's. Just not sure hes the answer...

Toons

is the Bo$$
I don't know what Frank Isola is thinking with this one. Carmelo is a bum and I wouldn't want him in NY.

Thoughts?

actually, i wouldnt mind having melo. He has star potential. i really dont think he has reached his ceiling. A new city might bring a new swagger out in melo

the portable man

Benchwarmer
it would be cool but by that time i think gallo and chandler will suffice

we really either need an upgrade from larry hughes or defense big man, thats it

pz

portega1968

El Cacique
If Lebron and Wade are not coming here, then Melo and JOe JOhnson would fit in nicely with Gallo.

If we have a chance to do the trade this summer, I say go for it.

Red

TYPE-A

Thoughts?

Hummmm let's see....Isola's idea is to acquire another wing man and play him out of position at PF none the less. Franky baby either you are "drain bamaged" or were on a vacation for the past 9 years. This is a desperate guess from someone who obviuosly has little to no knowledge of what's needed and the direction we're headed. As a SG/Sf is 1 thing...I am with that for the right price, but please with the Melo playing PF! I don't wanna see Melo, Gallo, Chandler or Harrington or any converted SF play as a big period. Get a real CENTER OR STFU!

richtree

Rotation player
He doesn't fit our system, and I personally don't like his game. He will want huge dollars and isn't a player that can carry you to the title.

Seems like Billups is overshadowing him.

He is always hurt, getting suspended, and don't play team ball.

that would be a great contingency plan.and to be honest, he looks more like a knick than lebron to me.if no lebron, bring melo in.clearly he's not happy in denver.anybody calling him a loser needs to remember that he copped an ncaa championship as a freshman.

Red

TYPE-A
I am sooooooo tired of guys playing out of position. STOP TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL YOU STUPID MF'S. Forwards running the point, Guards/Forwards manning the paint, Centers/PF shooting 3's!!!! Enough already!!!! If a player cannot excel at his "NATURAL" position then stop playing him!! No more point forwards (what do we have a pg for?), motherf*ckin power guards and point centers!!!! D'Antoni, this is why you can't decide a line-up, because you can't make up your mind as to what position does a player play. If a guy cannot get it done at both ends of the court, stop the innovative sh*t and find someone else. This goes back like 10 years now w/ D'Antoni and others...it's ridiculous. Either play your natural position or get the f*ck out.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Melo and Isola

As far as Melo, he is a questionable choice at best. He fills the role of "go-to guy" which we still need (unless Chandler and/or Gallo develop into that).

However, defensively he is not an upgrade, which is why Bosh is still the best alternative to Wade or LBJ.

But I still would prefer to make a move now for Thabeet rather than banking on free agency in 2010. For one thing, if we do not win a championship by 2012, the Mayan Apocalypse may intervene.

If our pick is not high enough to insure drafting him, trade up using our pick plus anyone not Lee, Chandler, or Gallo.

As far as Isola wanting a wing man, does his wife know he is looking for one? :)

Moz106

Benchwarmer
sup peeps??? Haven't been posting comments inna while, but always been coming in to see what's goin on....N e ways on camelo, if we do get him, it would cost us either Gallo or Ill Will, we would have 5 SF's on the roster including Jeffries....Camelo is not a bad choice, but still we don't want to have another Marbs saga again, what this team needs to stay away from is this:

1) Large Long Term Contracts(Eddy Curry)

2)Players who don't play defense and are ME 1st (Jamal Crawford)

3)Players with off the court issues(Zach Randolph)

4)Injury Prone(Jerome "Burger King" James)

th3realicon

Rotation player
Fvck Melo. If we get him N8 will break his jaw the first day of practice. :)

Seriously though we just got a perennial cancer in Marbury why would we add another one? His play doesn't convince me a bit either. he is lucky Billups was sent to the Nuggets and they are winning with him because if that team was to rely on Melo they would have lost the playoff train long ago.

Moz106

Benchwarmer
Fvck Melo. If we get him N8 will break his jaw the first day of practice. :)

he is lucky Billups was sent to the Nuggets and they are winning with him because if that team was to rely on Melo they would have lost the playoff train long ago.

Cosign 100% bro.......

King Ewing

Banned
Oh god no!! Marbury part 2. No way Walsh brings in someone like that, someone who just cant get his head right and stay out of trouble. It just wont happen.

Hummmm let's see....Isola's idea is to acquire another wing man and play him out of position at PF none the less. Franky baby either you are "drain bamaged" or were on a vacation for the past 9 years. This is a desperate guess from someone who obviuosly has little to no knowledge of what's needed and the direction we're headed. As a SG/Sf is 1 thing...I am with that for the right price, but please with the Melo playing PF! I don't wanna see Melo, Gallo, Chandler or Harrington or any converted SF play as a big period. Get a real CENTER OR STFU!
you're right about that.they should play they're particular positions.i'd prefer bron running the point cause he can.i'd prefer a bigger team, so they don't get bitched around by a tougher team.he needs to change that.

JayJ44

Starter
I defintely wouldn't be against it. He played great in the olympics, and he would thrive here. But it's not gonna happen. They're finally good in Denver, they're at least getting past the 1st round. But we'll see what happens.