Mike D'antoni has done his job this year...OH REALLY??

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Randolph is talented, but his huge contract diminishes his trade value. Originally, the best offer we got for him was Darko Millicic and a 2nd round pick for Z-Bo and our 1st rounder. The Clippers deal was the best possible deal we could have gotten.

I liked how he was playing too. But it would be impossible to ever get under the cap with him on our roster.

You're right that D'antoni gives his input, but I don't think he had any input on the Randolph trade. That trade was purely for salary cap purposes, it had nothing to do with D'antoni.

BTW, he made the playoffs his first 2 seasons with the Blazers, in which he averaged 6 minutes and 17 minutes a game for the season. In the playoffs, he averages 12 PPG and 7 RPG in 25 minutes per game. Not really a big accomplishment.

I dont know, it depends on how you look at it. 25 minutes per game is over half the game, but it really doesnt prove my point...which is that z-bo is not as much of a cancer as people say he is, he was put in a bad situation here in New York.

I dont think D'antoni had any input on the Randolph trade, i never at any point thought he did. The only things i think D'antoni had input on was drafting the big cock, and he had his mind made up from day one that Marbury wasnt gonna play so he pushed for duhorn signing.

I found this thread interesting, as everyone is bashing the Randolph trade, especially MSGKnickz33, so I went back to the Randolph thread and found this post from MSGKnickz33 himself:

And this from KO's resident asshole metrocard:

At the time everyone was praising the trade, now in hindsight it's bad? The only person who has stayed consistent, ironically, is Team Starbury hanger-on abcd, who bashed the trade when it happened, and bashed it now.

Look, this season was never about making the playoffs, it was never about winning a title. Two years ago, that was the goal. Last year, that was the goal. This year Donnie takes over, and is a GM that actually knows what he is doing. D'Antoni takes over and installs an up-tempo offense. The goal this year was to REBUILD and RETOOL so eventually we can RELOAD. To come here and expect D'Antoni to take this abysmal franchise, who then trades away mid-season their top-2 leading scorers so that they have more CAP FLEXIBILITY (a good thing), and then also want a playoff bound team is asking a bit much. I'm not saying D'Antoni has done the best job, but it was never about the 2008-09 New York Knicks, it was about building for free agency, about digging ourselves out of salary cap hell. But the team has to be bad before they can be better, that's what rebuilding is.

Even if we don't get LeBron, even if we don't get Wade, Bosh, Stoudemire, Nowitzki or ANYBODY, at the very least they have been dug out of salary cap hell. At the very least we'll be able to move some pieces a little more freely, be able to sign that one guy to that big contract, and at the very least at LEAST this team is playing a brand of basketball that is fun to watch. I hated the Isiah-brand, and when you don't win the Brown-brand is awful to watch. D'Antoni has put together a game that is good to watch, that is at the very least entertaining, even though they are losing.

But to say D'Antoni didn't do his job, that's just silly, come on now. You are too deep in the forest to see the trees. An NYK Championship in 2009 is not the goal, the goal is to be better down the line, to be better in the long term and for a longer period of time, not to make ridiculous trades for over-rated superstars to try in vain to win now.

Haha very funny...we got a funny guy here. :lol:

I just wanna put you in a headlock and give you a nuggie

In defense of...myself...I thought Mobley would be playing for us, and I never really thought that trade was great...i just felt like swagger jackin tony the tiger. I was and still is a big fan of crawford for Al Harrington, however. And i remember saying once i found out that Mobley wouldnt be playing for us, that we should have got a 2nd round pick from the clippers.

Metro hasnt even posted in this thread yet, how you gonna bring him up? You did yourself in there doggie, thats not a good look when you bringin up other dudes for no reason.

Who said anything about us making the playoffs this year? I just think that we should be able to win more games then we won in 2006-07, and while we are entertaining at times lets not act like we can still be embarrassing as seen recently against the bobcats and the kings.

KBlack25

Starter
Metro hasnt even posted in this thread yet, how you gonna bring him up? You did yourself in there doggie, thats not a good look when you bringin up other dudes for no reason.

I brought him in because a ton of people on this board (not me) are on the guy's dick saying how good of a bball analyst he is. Most of metro's posts consist of him talking about how good he is at talking basketball. And that's what he had to say.

JayJ44

Starter
I dont know, it depends on how you look at it. 25 minutes per game is over half the game, but it really doesnt prove my point...which is that z-bo is not as much of a cancer as people say he is, he was put in a bad situation here in New York.

I dont think D'antoni had any input on the Randolph trade, i never at any point thought he did. The only things i think D'antoni had input on was drafting the big cock, and he had his mind made up from day one that Marbury wasnt gonna play so he pushed for duhorn signing.

I agree that he isn't a cancer. He got unfairly blamed in the 2007-2008 season.

Perhaps I misunderstood you about D'antoni having input on the Randolph trade, when you said:
I forgot to mention that, he couldnt get us a draft pick for zach randolph?
I thought you meant D'antoni as he. My mistake.

KBlack25

Starter
All you guys talk about Marbury being a cancer. Well, Marbury's not here anymore. Why are the Knicks not winning? And if Marbury is such a cancer, why are the Celtics playing as good as they have all season?

They haven't been. In the last 15 games (Marbury has played in 15 games) the Celtics are 9-6 for a .600 winning percentage. The team on the season has a .743 winning percentage. That's a drop of 14.3% in wins per game since Marbury has shown up.

JayJ44

Starter
The bottom line is the Knicks should not have hired Mike D'Antoni. The Knicks' #1 weakness is defense. Patrick Ewing emphasizes defense, and he's great at developing centers. Look at how much better Yao Ming and Dwight Howard currently are. The Knicks made a mistake for not hiring Ewing and not drafting Brook Lopez. They also made a mistake for paying Marbury to do nothing and trading Zach Randolph for nothing. All of you guys keep talking about Zach Randolph's "huge" contract, but what about Larry Hughes' contract? Hughes makes almost as much money as Randolph, and he sucks.
All you guys talk about Marbury being a cancer. Well, Marbury's not here anymore. Why are the Knicks not winning? And if Marbury is such a cancer, why are the Celtics playing as good as they have all season?

On October 31st, the start of the 2009-2010 season, what are the Knicks going to have to attract a star?

Chris Duhon? Larry Hughes? Jared Jeffries? One dimensional Gallinari?

SMH

Patrick Ewing has never been a head coach before. The Knicks aren't a team where Ewing could have learned on the job. We needed someone with experience as a coach. Mike D'antoni was the best man for the job.

It is yet to be seen whether or not drafting Lopez was a mistake. Gallinari was injured, and didn't get a chance to showcase most of his abilities. Hopefully, he'll come back 100% next season. But it is too soon to already be declaring that pick a mistake. At least wait till the end of next season to make your judgment.

Larry Hughes contract expires after the 2009-2010 season. It is one year shorter than Randolph's, giving us cap flexibility in 2010. Hughes' expiring contract could also be used as trade bait next year, for teams looking to clear salary. One trade scenario could be Carmelo Anthony for Hughes and a young player if Denver decides to rebuild. There a lot of possibilities when you have expiring contracts.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Professional? Mike D'antoni? Apparently you dont know much about him...

phoenix fans turned against him when he said the season ticket holders could hop off the bandwagon, and that the suns had plenty of new fans ready to hop on it. Im not sure what the phoenix fans were upset about but it probably had somethin to do with the teams defense and gettin owned year after year in the playoffs by the spurs.

I agree with that but theres several other teams that are in the same boat as us, we gave away too many games. The fact that a team with about the same talent level won 33 games 2 years ago, and we might not even do that this year...thats not impressive to me.

This isn't a Mike D'antoni sucks thread...more like a Mike D'antoni is overrated thread.

:barf:

Part of what you said is true, but lets not be ignorant, its obvious that D'antoni had his say in who we drafted, and hes the reason why we have Duhon. Donnie would have played starbury and we could have used that duhorn money elsewhere.

Lets not forget Larry Brown telling Isiah thomas to trade penny and ariza for steve francis...Walsh needs to be his own man, stand his own ground. Much respect to him for the teams he put together in Indiana (that were later destroyed by Larry Bird)....Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, Jermaine Oneal, reggie miller...he had a good team, that played defense.

Who called him lousy? I said he was overrated, im sick of hearing how hes done a nice job of turning us around and getting us in the right direction. Its pathetic how knicks fans slobber all over him. Hes got a wife doggie, let her do that...not you personally, but knicks fans that show him too much love.

He didnt do anything thats impressed me...yea, we score alotta points but we give up more points then we score...hence the reason why we're a losing team. This team was capable of winning 35 games, but there was too many games that we didnt show up, played with no heart, and played like this was the WNBA. Whos fault is that? Its everybodys fault, players and coaches. I dont always like D'antoni's substitution patterns, and he made his man love for the big cock obvious when he tried inserting him into the starting lineup for a couple games.

I have nothing against Gallinari, I like him...but he wasnt ready to start. It just proves what i have been saying...I've been saying it for a while, D'antoni is too emotional. He doesnt always think rationally...we saw this with marbury, with the big cock, and countless times when he was in phoenix. Hes stressed out, nervous, anxious, which always makes it easy to tell when hes lying. When we finally are a playoff team again, Ill give more credit to the fact that we were bad for so long then i will to D'antoni.

And thats what i dont like...we've been bad for way too long. I thought only the Clippers could do that...Isiah set us back, i realize that Walsh and D'antoni came into a mess but with the exception of some of the money saving trades that were made, i dont like some of the other things dantoni has done. 33 wins 2 years ago, we wont even do that this year.

I forgot to mention that, he couldnt get us a draft pick for zach randolph? smh @ dantony, if i was him i would just give up after not being able to match isiahs win total from 2 years ago...thats about as low as it gets.

You still don't get it. First off read my response and tell me how I am "slobbering all over him". I even said he may turn out not to be a good fit for us, however it is too early to judge. Again most smart fans know enough not to pass judgement this early on. Some coaches join teams and are successful right away, but, it not expected.

He inherited a bad team, I again ask you to name me another coach who gets a significant amount more wins with this group. Another question, would The Suns be missing the playoffs if Dantoni was still coach?

Dantoni has been the only coach to hold Eddy Curry accountable for being out of shape. Jared Jefferies has looked better this year than he has any other year as a Knick. He has done some good things, but, yeah I can't praise the coach of a 28 win team with 10 games to go. But, I'm not writting him off either, it just wouldnt be intelligent.

Wait now explain how Dantoni was supposed to get a draft pick for Zach, isnt that Walsh's job? Plus, The Clippers knew how bad The Knicks wanted to dump Zach's contract and they werent giving up anything more than what they gave us anyways. But, again how was that on Dantoni.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I agree that he isn't a cancer. He got unfairly blamed in the 2007-2008 season.

Perhaps I misunderstood you about D'antoni having input on the Randolph trade, when you said:

I thought you meant D'antoni as he. My mistake.
its all good, lookin back on what i said it wasnt the most clear post...

They haven't been. In the last 15 games (Marbury has played in 15 games) the Celtics are 9-6 for a .600 winning percentage. The team on the season has a .743 winning percentage. That's a drop of 14.3% in wins per game since Marbury has shown up.

Thats real funny, considering the number of games garnett has missed...and lets not forget, rondo was injured, powe was injured, ray allen missed a game or two, big baby davis was hurt...

You still don't get it. First off read my response and tell me how I am "slobbering all over him". I even said he may turn out not to be a good fit for us, however it is too early to judge. Again most smart fans know enough not to pass judgement this early on. Some coaches join teams and are successful right away, but, it not expected.

He inherited a bad team, I again ask you to name me another coach who gets a significant amount more wins with this group. Another question, would The Suns be missing the playoffs if Dantoni was still coach?

Dantoni has been the only coach to hold Eddy Curry accountable for being out of shape. Jared Jefferies has looked better this year than he has any other year as a Knick. He has done some good things, but, yeah I can't praise the coach of a 28 win team with 10 games to go. But, I'm not writting him off either, it just wouldnt be intelligent.

Wait now explain how Dantoni was supposed to get a draft pick for Zach, isnt that Walsh's job? Plus, The Clippers knew how bad The Knicks wanted to dump Zach's contract and they werent giving up anything more than what they gave us anyways. But, again how was that on Dantoni.
lol i didnt say you were slobbering all over D'antoni, but some knicks fans are.

And again, the only two decisions that i believe D'antoni had a say in were drafting gallinari and signing Duhorn.

Other then that, I respect what you said and I partially disagree...you brought up something real interesting, would the suns be a playoff team if D'antoni was still coaching them. Its tough to say, but maybe...they do have alot more talent then us, shaq >> the knicks

But this aint about what he would be doing with phoenix, this is about what hes done with the knicks. The only point im trying to make is that he hasnt done the job that some knicks fans give us credit for. I wouldnt even say hes done a decent job. If he cant win as many games as Isiah thomas did 2 years ago with Eddy Curry as the #1 option on offense, and with all the injuries that team had at the end of the year, then i dont believe that hes met his expectations that come with his reputation of being one of the best coaches in the nba. Overall MIke D is overrated...and that doesnt mean that hes a bad coach, it just means hes not as good as the average sports fan or analysist says he is.

quiggle

Starter
we'd be talking about getting ready for the playoffs now if Mark Jackson was the head coach, but you all didn't listen. look at all the other brand name coaches this organizations has had and they all did not deliver. Pat Riley, Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Larry Brown and now D'Antoni.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
we'd be talking about getting ready for the playoffs now if Mark Jackson was the head coach, but you all didn't listen. look at all the other brand name coaches this organizations has had and they all did not deliver. Pat Riley, Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Larry Brown and now D'Antoni.
Lenny Wilkens got the Knicks to the playoffs. He has an above .500 record with the Knicks. Isiah Thomas told him to quit, though.

LeFlume

All Star

So The Knicks would have been a playoff team with a guy that never coached a day in his life? Imagine how great The Knicks would have been after a year with Jackson? Maybe we would have gone undefeated.

JayJ44

Starter

Congratulations, you made an assumption based on absolutely nothing.:thumbsup:

TunerAddict

Starter

lulz......

jpz17

Starter
dude, D does not have his perfect team still. He needs a star to depend on. D'Antoni will be coach of the year in 3 years and will lead us to the finals. I wouldn't be surprised if he was tanking..... He could have gone into saying playoffs, then realized crap man this team is worse than Isiah as a gm let get a good pick

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Future <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">1.</td> <td>time that is to be or come hereafter.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">2.</td> <td>something that will exist or happen in time to come: The future is rooted in the past. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">3.</td> <td>a condition, esp. of success or failure, to come: Some people believe a gypsy can tell you your future. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">4.</td> <td>Grammar. <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="25">a.</td> <td>the future tense.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="25">b.</td> <td>another future formation or construction.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="25">c.</td> <td>a form in the future, as He will come.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">5.</td> <td>Usually, futures. speculative purchases or sales of commodities for future receipt or delivery.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> ?adjective <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">6.</td> <td>that is to be or come hereafter: future events; on some future day. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">7.</td> <td>pertaining to or connected with time to come: one's future prospects; future plans. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">8.</td> <td>Grammar. noting or pertaining to a tense or other verb formation or construction that refers to events or states in time to come.

<table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dnindex" width="35">1.</td> <td>patience

the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex" width="35">2.</td> <td>an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay: to have patience with a slow learner. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dnindex" width="35">3.</td> <td>quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence: to work with patience. </td></tr></tbody></table>
hindsight

recognition of the realities, possibilities, or requirements of a situation, event, decision etc., after its occurrence. <hr class="ety">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
I wouldn't be surprise if we actually sold the pick this upcoming draft. In D'antoni's tenure with Phoenix, the team traded the draft rights to Luol Deng, Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez on three consecutive years in order to stay under the luxury tax. Being that our Knicks are cutting salary I wouldn't be surprise if D'antoni and Walsh trade or sell the pick to move down or just receive cash considerations.

I don't care who made pick during the '08 draft selecting Gallinari, as this team needed a fresh look getting an international player to us. We didn't draft a savior but someone that has a great basketball IQ and that showed in limited games that he understood spacing/vision to play in our system. I can't wait to see him next year, and if we do keep the pick I would draft Al-Farouq Aminu, he reminds me of Scottie Pippen in the open floor.

Kiyaman

Legend
Dantoni is way....overratted

MSGKnickz33....u said it best "Dantoni is Overratted"

So many of us was so dang happy with getting Isiah Thomas out of the coaching box and President office we did'nt care if they selected fans ticket stubs out of a hat to replace Isiah.
That is why half of the members in this forum is still so happy with the Firing of Isiah that they will defend and show much-much LUV for Walsh & Dantoni.

To be truthful....I dont think Walsh ever heard, seen, or knew Gallinari existed untill the week he hired Dantoni.

The Knicks hired coach Larry Brown in July. And reading the arbitration where the Knicks refuse to pay Brown the remainder of his contract the Knicks stated coach Larry Brown made deals with other teams, his first time was with Cleveland 2 months after being hired (September) for a trade to get PG-Eric Snow.

Most of us ole-timers recall when coach Larry Brown quit on the Spurs and took the Pacers coaching job weeks later the Spurs traded PG-Mark Jackson to the Pacers. That trade had Larry Brown written all over it which was the first competitive season the Pacers had under Walsh watch.

The question is still in the air about "WHO" idea it was in Phoenix to make the Shaq trade....Steve Kerr? or Dantoni?

Kiyaman

Legend
Dantoni is overratted

Dantoni's coaching and decision-making this season is very questionable from the denial of giving our ending contract $21M player Marbury any playingtime to trading our highest scorer and rebounder (20-10) Zach Randolph along with our defensive big-guard that added depth on our bench for DNP players that are only good at picking up their pay check (Mobley & Thomas).
Between the short 6 to 7 man rotation, to the coach to player awareness, to the substitution, to not using all his time-outs with a short rotation, to the no-strategy in crunchtime, to the no-defense policy can all be question.

We all know why Isiah's coaching lost game after game after-game for two seasons....Isiah benched his young athletic players to give the majority of playingtime to his high priced contract players which did not get along with each other or together as a team to where their no-luv for each other divided the players in the Knicks lockerroom.

pat

Starter
Patrick Ewing emphasizes defense, and he's great at developing centers. Look at how much better Yao Ming and Dwight Howard currently are. The Knicks made a mistake for not hiring Ewing and not drafting Brook Lopez.

As a head coach he won't have time for developing centers. That is something assistant coaches do. However, I'll have to agree with you that he might stress defense a bit more. He could also do that with a team built around a guard. However, I think D'Antoni deserves more time. As somebody said before: this team is developing into a new direction and a direction is something I haven't seen in years with this franchise.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Guys what proof do we have that D'antoni was the one who drafted Gallo and signed Duhon? Its kind of like knicks fans blaming 100% of our problems on Starbury without proof.

I am sure he had a "say" in the drafting of Gallo, like most coaches have a say in drafting their players, but Walsh is the man who pulls the trigger. The blame goes on him, not D'antoni.

Think of this: The guys who do not like D'antoni blame him for this season, because he is the coach and he is responsible for getting our players to win. But at the same time you will blame D'antoni on the drafting Gallo and signing Duhon which are clearly the responsibilities of the GM? That is hypocritical. Unless you are saying that D'antoni is the the real GM and Donni is a puppet?

LeFlume

All Star
I'm amazed at the lack of awerness on this site. Some of you really are clueless and not only seeing the little picture, but just a fraction of it. You think you know more about the team than D'Antoni does, fine, I'm sure you do, after all you have seen them on TV. He have just spent 6 months with them on a daily basis and have them in practice everyday. I mean what the heck does he know about the team?

D'Antoni did this, D'Antoni did that. Yeah he does everything in the organization. He book hotels, He's the one that puts out the uniform before game time, He washes them after, He Sign players, He flys the plane and drive the buss. He's the one on the phone everyday with other coaches and have trade talks. Because from what I read here on this board, that's how it goes down. D'Antoni traded, D'Antoni could have gotten us a draft pick etc etc,

Still some of you are angry at him. Why? How is he gonna have time to coach when he does everything else?