Sam Smith and Mark Berman article hit pay dirt

Kiyaman

Legend
Via Bulls.com

The Bulls next play the Knicks, whom I almost feel sorry for. But not that much. That "plan" the Knicks have for 2010 NBA domination? The idea that NBA stars are anxious to play in New York? Sorry, that's just about dead. There's plenty of reasons, including the fact that hardly any free agents ever wanted to go there. Did you ever hear Shaq say he wanted to go to New York? Grant Hill? Tim Duncan? Tracy McGrady. There was this notion they never had room under the salary cap. But also no one treated their post 1973 stars as badly as they have in New York, where Patrick Ewing was routinely booed and demeaned by the public and media. Players notice. Anyway, that's not the reason.

Maybe the biggest reason is the Knicks are going to be the worst team in the Eastern Conference next season. And no one goes to 20-win teams, as the Bulls painfully found out in 2000. How could James, for example, ever justify leaving a Cavs team that is a championship contender and go to New York and then say he's about winning. He'd be the league joke.

It's also why the Bulls know they cannot sit still this summer. It's still wise to have enough flexibility to be prepared for the free agents who might be available in the summer of 2010. But it's not going to be easy to make the make the playoffs in the East next season.
The East took one step this season winning more games against Western Conference teams. Next season, the East should be far better because the bottom rung teams figure to be much improved.
Washington will get back Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood to add to Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison.

Milwaukee will get back Andrew Bogut and Michael Redd.
Toronto can't possibly be as bad and will have Andrea Bargnani settled in and if they can bring back Shawn Marion at a reasonable price, they could move up. It's why some general managers are now saying it's more likely the Raptors hold onto Chris Bosh through the summer and move him, if necessary, next trading deadline.

The Bobcats will have a full season with the roster that closed the season strong.

The Pistons could add a major free agent or two this summer with Allen Iverson and Rasheed Wallace off the books. And they still have Tayshaun Prince, Richard Hamilton and Rodney Stuckey.

The Nets have Devin Harris, Vince Carter and top rookie big man Brook Lopez. And they'll likely have a new coach as Lawrence Frank seems to have run his course. Frank's controlled style seems to have held back the team, and reports out of New Jersey is upper management wants a change. Longtime godfather Rod Thorn has been neutral on a return. Thorn and Frank's father were longtime business partners, but you'd think Thorn has been loyal enough to Frank thus far.

And the Knicks aren't likely to even have the roster they have now. In this salary space creating mode they likely can't keep David Lee and/or Nate Robinson and pay them. Mike D'Antoni's system is fun, but it also tends to inflate statistics. And you can be sure the representatives for Lee and Robinson will be seeking deals commensurate with Lee averaging 16.1 points and 11.8 rebounds and Robinson being featured in Knicks advertising as the new face of the team.

It's a roster with perhaps one true NBA starter in Lee, and he really is a solid role playing four at about 6-8. Perhaps Al Harrington is a starter, though more sixth man. Chris Duhon? Wilson Chandler? Jared Jeffries. Good luck moving Eddy Curry, who is owed an average of $11 million through the 2010-11 season after he's barely played for two years and has a mountain of personal issues.

The Knicks also will suffer from an unexpected change in the landscape, as the Bulls did in 2000. The Bulls were prepared to overpay for a star, which is the sure way to get one, and then the new collective bargaining agreement set salary ceilings. So with the same salary, who needed to go to a 20-win team? For the Knicks, it's the economy. It's likely to drive down the salary cap, so they may not have room to add a second maximum salaried free agent. And who's going to go there with that roster and without another star?

Actually, this all presents an intriguing issue for the Bulls. I've long advocated the Bulls try to trade for a star type player like Stoudemire or Bosh--maybe Chris Kaman--if there's some sort of fire sale this summer because of economic changes, as many teams expect.
I talk at times with someone connected with the James inner circle. A lot of people say they have such contacts, so you never know for sure if it means anything. And this guy close to James told my guy he hasn't discussed it with James. But he believes if James were to leave the Cavs for a major market--which, I emphasize he doesn't think he will--he's more likely to go to Chicago with its far better roster where one star could make a major difference. So should the Bulls take a chance and wait?

I've never believed James would come to Chicago. But it makes a lot more sense than going to New York. And all the sponsors pay those extra dividends if you are in any of the three large markets, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.

The general consensus these days is Wade is unlikely to leave Miami. With the Heat's cap flexibility in 2010, they'll be able to add a major free agent. And the speculation is it will be Bosh. I've heard Bosh prefers to be the No. 1 guy. Though that scenario seems not to make that much sense given Bosh has shown he cannot carry a team. Toronto's performance this season is Exhibit A. Also, there been talk of this private pact among the 2008 Olympians to be joining forces, and Wade and Bosh makes a lot of sense.
The other scenario you hear most often is James recruiting Joe Johnson to play with him in Cleveland. The Cavs have managed their cap nicely as well, and that's probably one big reason they didn't move Wally Szczerbiak when everyone expected them to in February.

They have a real chance to create a dynasty around James like the Bulls did around Jordan with ample cap room in 2010. That's the big reason most expect James to stay with the Cavs. Jason Kidd, who had 20 assists Sunday in helping put the Suns out of their playoff misery, already is lobbying to play with James, even in a backup role.
Johnson, meanwhile, would be a major weapon. Many still point to his free agency departure as the reason the Suns never were able to take that next step to true championship contender. Johnson is not talked about like James, Wade and Bosh. But he may be the surprise prize of that class.
Look, Dirk is staying in Dallas, the Nuggets are hanging onto Carmelo, McGrady's about done. Same with Jermaine O'Neal, Shaq and Steve Nash. Michael Redd isn't opting out after an injury. Carlos Boozer's glow has receded. The Trailblazers aren't letting Brandon Roy get away. Manu Ginobili's ankle is taking a long time to heal and he's wearing down.

That 2010 bonanza is looking less bountiful, and you figure the guys who go somewhere will be looking for a nice landing spot and a chance to be competitive immediately. Joining Wade and James would seem to provide that.
So maybe Chicago has a slight chance with Derrick Rose and some solid supporting players. New York? It's going to be another long, lost decade.

Do anyone see the names Gallo, Duhon, Harrington, Mobley, or Larry Hughes mention in this article? by Sam Smith.....they are their every time he mention the Knicks being a 20 win team in the 2009-10 season inwhich all the Star ending contract players will be looking to have a season or career high playing against the Knicks in 2009-10 season....the season we dont have a first round draft pick.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mark Berman exclusive

<HR>
Via NY Post

Can someone tell me again the silver lining to this season that will end with 50-plus losses? Oh yes, cap space in 2010, when they'll be in position to MAYBE sign an All-Star good enough to get the club the eighth seed? Yippee.
Can someone tell me again what Mike D'Antoni did well in his first season running the Knicks? I'm willing to give D'Antoni a chance, but please don't give me the song and dance he's done a good job in 2008-2009 on any level. Yes, they made changes and trades, but a great coach gets them playing defense and playing together. D'Antoni, frankly, disappointed me.
The Knicks stunk out the Garden tonight, quitting on their coach with a week left, How could they do that with gorgeous Kim Kardashian sitting on celebrity row?
They allowed the Pistons to ransack the place from the opening tip when it was 10-0 after 2:03. It's a coach's job to motivate the team and not have them put forth a sickening performance on the defensive end. Kardashian would've played better D tonight against the Pistons' front line than the Knicks.
D'Antoni gave a strong hint tonight that only three players on the current roster are on his mind in building for next season - rookie Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler and David Lee. Everyone else can take a seat next to Starbury.
D'Antoni gets a break in some newspapers, those beat writers who carry a man crush for him. D'Antoni is a sweetheart of a person - a social butterfly who sits courtside an hour before road games to schmooze. And he's not a phony in the least. He's genuinely a good person and awfully funny. And that is part of the job in New York, dealing well with media.
But Mike, you have to admit overall you haven't done a good job this season - starting with your decision to sign Chris Duhon as the end-all-be-all point guard and eradicate Stephon Marbury despite a solid preseason. And you did not enhance Nate Robinson's point-guard abilities. That's the position you really needed him to play. He looks lost now. Stephon Marbury
The Knicks appear on national TV for the first time this season Friday in Orlando so all of the U.S. can watch the train wreck.
The last time the Knicks were a national story came in February during "Dream Week'' at the Garden when Kobe went for 61, LeBron had a 51-point triple-double before it was stripped and the Celtics added to the trifecta with a rout.

There's no reason to go to Florida Friday to cover "Team Irrelevant'' on this meaningless road trip, to cover a team that has quit. I'd rather get lost in New Hampshire this weekend with my wife to celebrate her birthday.
A guest blogger will stand in my place - someone who's done this before here. But don't jump to any conclusions.

Kiyaman

Legend
Berman calls Dantoni out for what he really done this season b/c to many New York reporters are writing him a successful season with these Bum Isiah Thomas Players.
Bullshuuuuut!!!!

Some of these so-call bum players each and every member in this forum has written something nice about in the last two seasons....but no one wants to point out how quick and well these bum players took to Dantoni's system that dont include DEFENSE...

I hav'nt forgot that Dantoni got swept in the first round last season with Shaq, Amare, Diaw, Hill, Bell, Barbosa, and Nash.
Sign of the Suns being a playoff team not a playoff competitor....a declining team under coach Dantoni.

ANU

Starter
NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT BERMAN.which is why he writes the bullshit he writes.the knicks, donnie and D'Ant aren't the only ones who are preparing for 2010.what the **** does he want them to do? dude needs to shut the **** up.

it's always some ****ing fat douchbag that thinks he knows more about something the the majority of the people that get hired to do WHAT THEY DO.this team sucks because it's filled with LOSERS.how the hell can you justify critiquing two people who are trying to fix a franchise all you do is complain about?

SERIOUSLY, BERMAN'S MOM FAILED.

ANU

Starter
Berman calls Dantoni out for what he really done this season b/c to many New York reporters are writing him a successful season with these Bum Isiah Thomas Players.
Bullshuuuuut!!!!

Some of these so-call bum players each and every member in this forum has written something nice about in the last two seasons....but no one wants to point out how quick and well these bum players took to Dantoni's system that dont include DEFENSE...

I hav'nt forgot that Dantoni got swept in the first round last season with Shaq, Amare, Diaw, Hill, Bell, Barbosa, and Nash.
Sign of the Suns being a playoff team not a playoff competitor....a declining team under coach Dantoni.
what about when they got ****ed over by the refs in the spurs series a couple years ago?

yeah he should stress defense, thats a given, but these players get paid to play a game.if they lack the integrity to actually give it their all when they get paid to play a game, what would be the point? i know, i believe that he should get some defensive wiz as an assistant coach, it's paramount in order for him to lead this team to a championship.

BOTTOM LINE, this team sucks ass.gutt it.

Starks

Starter
i don't feel like reading all that. Whats this thread about? Someone give me a twitter style summary

TunerAddict

Starter
Big circle jerk over why Chicago > NY.

LOL

I loled when they said chicago was one of the three major markets next to NY and LA.

Stupid shit from Kiya.

So, we would have been a good team if it wasn't for Dantoni or Walsh? Really? Where the **** have you been the past decade?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I agree with Kiyaman's post.

The Knicks' 2010 plan is most likely going to fail, because rather than holding on to the most talented players and getting rid of the least talented players, the Knicks have done the opposite. They kept Jared Jeffries, Eddy Curry, Quentin Richardson, and they brought in Larry Hughes and Cuttino Mobley(who is retired). They got rid of Stephon Marbury(expiring contract), Jamal Crawford(opt out clause in 2009), and Zach Randolph(top 10 power forward in scoring and rebounding).

The Knicks have no 2010 first round pick, yet Donnie Walsh failed to make an effort to package Lee with Curry for expiring contracts and a 2010 first round pick. Walsh & D'Antoni drafted Danilo Gallinari(a small forward) over Brook Lopez(a center that the Knicks desperately needed). I find it hysterical how the Knicks failed to draft a big man, when they had a chance, and now they want to sign Cheikh Samb, Mouhamad Sene(whom the Knicks know nothing about) and Courtney Sims(who the Knicks are barely using).

Kiyaman

Legend

LOL

I loled when they said chicago was one of the three major markets next to NY and LA.

Stupid shit from Kiya.

So, we would have been a good team if it wasn't for Dantoni or Walsh? Really? Where the **** have you been the past decade?

Your responses always show just how little u know about this Knick organization.

what about when they got ****ed over by the refs in the spurs series a couple years ago?

It proved how much they needed Kurt Thomas defensive experience on their roster....trading him only help Dantoni rival team sign him.

yeah he should stress defense, thats a given, but these players get paid to play a game.if they lack the integrity to actually give it their all when they get paid to play a game, what would be the point? i know, i believe that he should get some defensive wiz as an assistant coach, it's paramount in order for him to lead this team to a championship.

BOTTOM LINE, this team sucks ass.gutt it.

Anu....bottom line is Walsh & Dantoni will have to call in every favor and debt owe to them this offseason to pull off a miracle on 33rd st. this offseason from becoming the laughing stock of the NBA in the 2009-10 season.

I been wanting a defensive minded coach since the FIRING of Lenny Wilkins (which we never got), I wanted half of the high price players Traded (Zach, Q.Rich, Crawful, and Jefferies) last offseason for a couple of decent players.
Tim Thomas & Mobley were starters on a 2-12 team this season.
Larry Hughes was a big Cancer in the Bulls lockerroom....look who they traded him for a player they waived a couple years ago (Tim Thomas) and three year DNP Jerome James.
The Marbury & Crawful backcourt tandem was the worst pair of guards in the NBA since their first season together which got coach Lenny Wilkins Fired.
Marbury and Malik should've been playing for the Knicks in their final contract season without Crawful and Q.Richardson on the team (although I admit I like the Wilcox/Malik equal trade).

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Your responses always show just how little u know about this Knick organization.

It proved how much they needed Kurt Thomas defensive experience on their roster....trading him only help Dantoni rival team sign him.

Anu....bottom line is Walsh & Dantoni will have to call in every favor and debt owe to them this offseason to pull off a miracle on 33rd st. this offseason from becoming the laughing stock of the NBA in the 2009-10 season.

I been wanting a defensive minded coach since the FIRING of Lenny Wilkins (which we never got), I wanted half of the high price players Traded (Zach, Q.Rich, Crawful, and Jefferies) last offseason for a couple of decent players.
Tim Thomas & Mobley were starters on a 2-12 team this season.
Larry Hughes was a big Cancer in the Bulls lockerroom....look who they traded him for a player they waived a couple years ago (Tim Thomas) and three year DNP Jerome James.
The Marbury & Crawful backcourt tandem was the worst pair of guards in the NBA since their first season together which got coach Lenny Wilkins Fired.
Marbury and Malik should've been playing for the Knicks in their final contract season without Crawful and Q.Richardson on the team (although I admit I like the Wilcox/Malik equal trade).

:agreed: I would also like to add the fact that the Knicks had an opportunity to sign the defensive minded Patrick Ewing, who would have helped the Knicks draft Brook Lopez, instead of another small forward, Danilo Gallinari. Look at all of the small forwards on the current Knicks roster:
1. Danilo Gallinari, 2. Al Harrington, 3. Jared Jeffries, 4. Wilson Chandler,
5. Quentin Richardson

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
These are the things that the best KO posters have been saying - for the longest. I said this a while ago: Brook Lopez had to be drafted, Marbury could have been kept until the end of year: after all - we did still pay him. Crawford can score in such a system and Randolph can too. The management of this team has been conducted on some sort of crazy reflex. People just dumped everything - as if it was cursed - when it just needed some repair and new coaching. Oh well.

alphad0gz

Rookie
Dumbest shit I've read in a while....

Every time an article is written that KiYa agrees with, its the truth. Every one thats different than his ideas is ignorant. Count me as among the ignorant.

Ewing is a God in NY and he loves it. Thats why he wanted his son on the team and he wanted to be a coach there. To say otherwise is, sorry to say...stupid.

Anyone (ABCD) that thinks any of the traded guys were guys stars would have wanted to play with is seriously messed up. Who would want to play with Marbury or Zach or Balkman, Crawford, etc. I can tell you...NOBODY.

jpz17

Starter
I agree with Kiyaman's post.

The Knicks' 2010 plan is most likely going to fail, because rather than holding on to the most talented players and getting rid of the least talented players, the Knicks have done the opposite. They kept Jared Jeffries, Eddy Curry, Quentin Richardson, and they brought in Larry Hughes and Cuttino Mobley(who is retired). They got rid of Stephon Marbury(expiring contract), Jamal Crawford(opt out clause in 2009), and Zach Randolph(top 10 worst power forward).

Everything I bolded was good

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Everything I bolded was good

You're just another flamer who responds to others' opinions with insults and manipulation. You're frustrated - as well.

Every time an article is written that KiYa agrees with, its the truth. Every one thats different than his ideas is ignorant. Count me as among the ignorant.

Ewing is a God in NY and he loves it. Thats why he wanted his son on the team and he wanted to be a coach there. To say otherwise is, sorry to say...stupid.

Anyone (ABCD) that thinks any of the traded guys were guys stars would have wanted to play with is seriously messed up. Who would want to play with Marbury or Zach or Balkman, Crawford, etc. I can tell you...NOBODY.

You're clueless: any real Knick fan can tell you that Ewing was treated like garbage - by fans and the press. People would call him a bum and a loser - while people from other cities actually worshiped the man. Looks like you're seriously messed up.

LOL

Stupid shit from Kiya.

And once again - your transformation into a flamer shows: you attack Kiyaman for posting a thread. Kiyaman is one of the nicest dudes on this site and a much better poster than you: the guy bothers no one. Grow up!
And everyone knows Chicago is the center of the midwest. Along with LA and NY - it is a city of opportunity and jobs. The population of Chicago is also comparable to NY and LA.

alphad0gz

Rookie
Hate to tell you

But I watched Ewings entire career....as an adult. Yeah,he got booed. There were times he deserved it. As good as he was, there were times he failed in big situations. As the leader of the team, that falls on his shoulders. No one ever said he wasn't a warrior, or wasn't great. When you fail in NY, you get trashed. When you win, you're a god. The bad is worse in NY but the good is much better than anywhere else. Walt said exactly that the other night and I guess he would know better than you. Treated like garbage? You're a moron. Any real Knick fan? I've been a fan longer than you've been alive. Bite me.

Kiyaman gets flamed because he posts incendiary comments. He hates on everything that goes against what he thinks should be different. There is no discussion, no discourse, only hate. His stuff isn't remotely rational. That said, he seems to be a nice man who is incredibly frustrated by the poor efforts the last 10 years.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
These are the things that the best KO posters have been saying - for the longest. I said this a while ago: Brook Lopez had to be drafted, Marbury could have been kept until the end of year: after all - we did still pay him. Crawford can score in such a system and Randolph can too. The management of this team has been conducted on some sort of crazy reflex. People just dumped everything - as if it was cursed - when it just needed some repair and new coaching. Oh well.
You guys ARE the best. ****, you're just awesome to the power of sick!!. You're like the Ninja Turtles. Battling the wrong doers on ko.com and waxing each others backs for that champion's sheen.

God I wanna be in your crew so badly.

Cowabunga

15318__tmnt_l.jpg

metrocard

Legend
Reason why the 2010 plan will most likely fail:

Our roster is a bunch of losers.

We haven't started building a playoff team yet.

We have a playoff coach.
We have a playoff system.

Not players who have experience winning, especially in the playoffs.

We should of worked to design to build a COMPETIVE PLAYOFF TEAM.

That way would we be a COMPTETIVE TEAM when we're under the cap, which can attract and lure more free agents (similar to how players want to go to Boston, San Antonio, LA, etc)

If we're a 20-30 win team...the player we sign won't have good morale, because he knows what he's going to be facing in the Garden.

This is why this is the year that we need to BUY DRAFT PICKS...take advantage of small maret teams who can't afford to be over the cap and take their diminished value.

A lot of teams are trading out of the top 10.

Obtain as many prospects as possible.
For team value.
and for trade value.
Plus, improvement of the roster.

Dirk

Benchwarmer
edy cury is black magic wizard he is put 400 years of curse on kjnicks. when edy cury die ghost of him will haunt madison sqare gardans. in 2067 knick will be finally make it in nba final down 1 points with 3 second left of game 7 last second shot go up going straight into hoop but rock is misteriosly block in mid air is ghost of dead edy curry

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I never thought it was a good idea to bring in D'Antoni. The Knicks biggest weakness (one of their biggest weaknesses) in my view is defense and D'Antoni is far from a defensive specialist. It should have been Tommy Thibodeau or even Herb Williams. It wouldn't have been the sexiest pick for coach but it could have been more affective.

But enough with the D'Antoni bashing. What does he really have to work with? His best player is Nate (I'm inconsistent) Robinson. What happened to Harrington? I expected so much more, I've been campaigning to get him for the past 3 years. Not to mention that Randolph, a double double guy nightly that most of you wanted out was traded for cap space and Planters Peanuts.

Stop the blood clot crying. We all knew that Walsh was tanking the season when he traded Crawford and Randolph. The best thing we can do now is keep D. Lee and see if Sac is still interested in Nate. Bring in a shot blocker and maybe even a point guard. (Bench Duhon)