Rubio to New York is real?

metrocard

Legend
i cant wait to see one of those guys turn into a legit player... how can you just name 4 players like that and say they will all be busts... one is a lights out shooter who impressed everyone with his knowledge and athleticism... another is a very large point guard who is very athletic and surprised everyone with his shooting while derozen is the best athlete in this draft other than maybe griffin... they all have the tools to succeed one way or another and you just write them off like they will all suck... how many people gave guys like milsap or bynum or wade even chances
not many and they got picked late and they turned into good players.... there will be more than two stars or at least very good players out of this draft there always are... i see you are dead set on rubio and thats fine he will probably be a good player because he brings alot to the table but be a little more open minded... give these guys a chance many gm's have curry and holiday ranked as high as 4th pick in the draft so they apparently have done something right ...
also i dont understand why you hate walsh so much... he was here one yr and in that time he picked an athletic 6'10 guy who is versatile and a lights out shooter... a controversial pick that could be great in a few yrs or a bust fine what ever... but then he got rid of bums like crawford and randolph while cutting our salary massively now he is looking to get a second pick to either put to use or to package to trade down ... the dude is making an effort to rebuild the team with cheap young talent which is the right thing to do it will take time but atleast he is not get overpaid old talent like the steve francis' give walsh and these draft picks a chance dont write them off this early...
im aware if you have a chance to get rubio you look into it but these guys may be good as well ... we work them all out next week so by then we will know what they can bring to the table a little bit more ... until then relax with the awful comparisons and saying walsh is a failure after what were some decent moves to make us younger and cheaper

You need to relax and realize Gallinari was never athletic.

Young and cheaper?

Thats it?

How about making us a better team?

Younger and cheaper will make us like the Grizzlies....without the talent.

We need to add ELITE talent.

not C evel or B level talent.

Holiday and Curry...you're really basing your assessment on "hope" so I can't take it seriously.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Boston, Houston And New York Want 2nd Overall Pick

Meanwhile, the Griz still are entertaining offers for the No. 2 pick as well as their 27th and 36th selections.

As the rumor mill churns, the Griz have been approached by several teams about acquiring the second overall pick. Boston, Houston and New York are said to be among the most recent suitors.

Boston and Houston would likely have to offer an established NBA player or two, given that neither team owns a first-round pick. New York owns the eighth pick and likely would want to move up for the opportunity to take Rubio.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/09/griz-expect-rubio-visit-for-workout/

Do it Donnie. Do it.

New New York

Quiet Storm

At 2:26 he does a nice behind-the-back cross-over on Jason Kidd.

I like this kid (not to be confused w/ Kidd), he is going to be a loose cannon his first year or so in the league kinda like Jason Williams when he first came into the league, but unlike Williams, Rubio will learn how to be a PG who plays under control and will be one of the leagues best.

How do we get him is the question...

Here is a three team trade that works for all three teams and gets us Rubio most importantly

Look our only trade chip to package w/ the number 8 is Wilson and Memphis already has a SF, what they need is some young front court players. So we send Wilson and the number 8 to Washington for JaVele McGee and the number 5; we then send JaVele McGee and the number 5 pick for the number 2 aka Rubio.

Wizards get an upgrade over the bricklaying, big mouth Deshawn Stevenson with Wilson (a quiet kid with a nice shot), plus the number 8 which they could use or trade. They like McGee but they have Haywood and Etan Thomas in front of him, dumping him to get a void filled makes it an even trade. Good Deal for Washington :thumbsup:

Memphis gets a young, atletic, shot blocking big man to compliment Gasol on the frontcourt, plus the number 5 to pick up Jordan Hill who also could come in and start at the 4. Good Deal for Memphis :thumbsup:

Knicks get Rubio :peace:

Red

TYPE-A
New New York... Trades like that are almost impossible to speculate so why bother? On another note: Yes it's true we are inquiring w/ Memphis for the #2 pick but the "rumor" is we will be offering Cutino Mobley and the 8th pick to move up. Something you didn't mention (instead u suggested Chandler was our only bargaining chip - falsely). We would also take back another contract giving the Griz. cap relief by adding Mobley who's contract will be paid 80% by insurance, ridding them of another contract and them dropping to the 8th spot. My question to you guys is at #2: Rubio or Thabeet?

dave2138

Rotation player
I like this kid (not to be confused w/ Kidd), he is going to be a loose cannon his first year or so in the league kinda like Jason Williams when he first came into the league, but unlike Williams, Rubio will learn how to be a PG who plays under control and will be one of the leagues best.

How do we get him is the question...

Here is a three team trade that works for all three teams and gets us Rubio most importantly

Look our only trade chip to package w/ the number 8 is Wilson and Memphis already has a SF, what they need is some young front court players. So we send Wilson and the number 8 to Washington for JaVele McGee and the number 5; we then send JaVele McGee and the number 5 pick for the number 2 aka Rubio.

Wizards get an upgrade over the bricklaying, big mouth Deshawn Stevenson with Wilson (a quiet kid with a nice shot), plus the number 8 which they could use or trade. They like McGee but they have Haywood and Etan Thomas in front of him, dumping him to get a void filled makes it an even trade. Good Deal for Washington :thumbsup:

Memphis gets a young, atletic, shot blocking big man to compliment Gasol on the frontcourt, plus the number 5 to pick up Jordan Hill who also could come in and start at the 4. Good Deal for Memphis :thumbsup:

Knicks get Rubio :peace:

There were rumors earlier that Washington would look to trade up for themselves to Oklahoma to get Thabeet using the #5 and Mcgee. I don't really see them moving down. Harden is probably their ideal pick right now at 5 and no shot at him falling to #8.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
What Will Memphis Do?

I am convinced that Memphis will keep its pick and take Thabeet. It has a developing point guard in Conley and a great combo guard in Mayo. Although not every one is sold on Thabeet, most of the criticism points to his offense and not his defensive potential. He is by far the most promising big man. Memphis has plenty of offense in Gay and Mayo.

It also appears that Memphis is not high on Rubio's wish list. Memphis does not need the potential headache.

This would mean that Oklahoma will have the option of picking Rubio. They already have Westbrook and apparently like S. Curry. But our 8th pick will not guarantee S. Curry so our 8th pick is not a chip until draft night. And Lee and Nate as sign and trades do not become available until after the draft.

I do not think we will be moving down at or before the draft. We are in a better position with trade assets once we have an identified 8th pick and we can do sign and trades of Lee and /or Nate. If we get Rubio, it will be by acquisition of his contract rights in Juuly.

Cutino's contract is valuable dollar wise but I expect we will want hold on to that asset as well. Every little bit will help. However, we might be able to do something with his contract, taking back a one year bad contract, to get a second pick. In any event, I do not expect too much to happen until after the draft. We will have a lot more flexibility then.

If Memphis takes Thabeet -- or intends to take Thabeet -- Darko and his expiring contract become available. Memphis has plenty of cap space, but Darko will cost them $7.5M in 2009 and, with thabeet on board, would not likely get much playing time. What, if anything, are we willing to pay for Darko?

New New York

Quiet Storm
New New York... Trades like that are almost impossible to speculate so why bother? On another note: Yes it's true we are inquiring w/ Memphis for the #2 pick but the "rumor" is we will be offering Cutino Mobley and the 8th pick to move up. Something you didn't mention (instead u suggested Chandler was our only bargaining chip - falsely). We would also take back another contract giving the Griz. cap relief by adding Mobley who's contract will be paid 80% by insurance, ridding them of another contract and them dropping to the 8th spot. My question to you guys is at #2: Rubio or Thabeet?

Look if we were to only talk about trades that could absolutley happen then in all actuality there would be no trades ever proposed on this site. Think about it!

Now, in terms of an actual player, Wilson is in fact our only trade chip is what I was saying (by the way you seem awfuly sensative about the fact that I called Wilson our only trade chip... it was an over sight in not including Cutino's contract,relax this is all in good fun sweetheart).

But, the trade I proposed makes a hell of lot more sense for Memphis than the proposed rumor trade you seem to be buying. You really think Memphis is going to drop back 6 spots in the draft just to get one year's cap releif? They could just fill a need with drafting Thabeet and just eat whatever bad contract they would be trading to NY for Mobley. And in fact there isnt a contract they have that even works numbers wise.

Not to mention the Grizz had the lowest salary in The NBA last year and are projected to be even lower next year, so they are the last team in The NBA to be thirsty to cut cap, atleast not to the point it cost them Thabeet.

dre48ny

Rotation player
No doubt this kid can play in this league. That move on Kidd was sick!!

He's definitely not going to Memphis, so I can see Memphis taking Thabeet. Oklahoma has a PG in Westbrook so maybe they can work something out with them.

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
1. It is extremely diffcult to do a sign and trade on draft night based on handshake deals.

2. Lee is unsigned and basically refused to go to Memphis last year. So that will make it close to impossible.

3. Rubio is highly skilled for a young man, but he can't shoot a lick yet. As of right now he's not a much more complete player than Curry. In fact, Curry may be more NBA ready now. If we do get Rubio, you should be thinking about the 2012 plan and put the 2010 plan on hold. The best available PG is actually Ty Lawson. He's the most NBA ready and is a true PG. Granted he doesn't have as much upside etc.... as Rubio, but we could trade down to get Lawson and get something back of value that might help us land a Center.

I'll tell you one thing, as team of Rubio and Gallo would be a lot of fun to watch because they are both extremely team oriented.

Last edited:

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I had a dream.....

we traded for the 2 pick, drafted rubio, and he went on to average 12ppg and 10 apg in his rookie year.

Is this really a possiblilty? I sure hope so.

metrocard

Legend
Rubio is a stud. I think his committment and his toughness will make him much better than Nash.

Yea, Ricky plays with a lot of pride, and puts more energy into defense than offense.

That what makes him special.
The offense comes natural for him.
But Rubio will give us a lot defensive...set the pace of the game and protect the house. He's a great corner back and anticipates a lot of passes with cat-quick timing/reflex.
He has longassmonkeyarms too.

Physically, he's not intimidating...but on the court his performance is quite simply brilliant and close to dominant. Dude isn't even near his full potential yet.