Metro's Mockdraft 2.0

metrocard

Legend
http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/27081/2009
http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/comments/27081

1 LAC Blake Griffin (Best player in the draft, keep it simple)
2 MEM (to NYK)Ricky Rubio*
3 OKC Hasheem Thabeet (need shot blocking)
4 SAC Stephon Curry (future Mike Bibby)
5 WAS Tyreke Evans (best talent available)
6 MIN James Harden (Perfect pair for Randy Foye)
7 GS Johnny Flynn (Best fit for Nelly's system...best PG left on the board)
8 NYK(to MEM) Jordan Hill*
9 TOR - DeMar DeRozan (Marion is on the decline, Parker may not return, Kapano???)
10 MIL Jeff Teague (The Bucks really want Teague, especially with Sessions out)
11 NJN DeJuan Blair (Lopez needs help)
12 CHA Gerald Henderson (J-Rich's successor)
13 IND BJ Mullins (Is Hibbert really good enough to be a starter? Need talent inside)
14 PHO Brandon Jennings (best talent available)
15 DET JRue Holiday (Dumar likes him)
16 CHI Chase Budinger (D-Rose's running mate, compliments each other very well)
17 PHI Ty Lawson (Andre Miller's successor)
18 MIN Austin Daye (Could use a SF, think Foye/Harden/Daye/Love/Jefferson)
19 ATL Eric Maynor (need for a pure PG, Bibby's successor)
20 UTA James Johnson (Is a Sloan type player, physical SF/PF with 3pt range)
21 NOH Earl Clark (Posey/Peja are old. Clark is a hybrid player who would produce right away for New Orleans)
22 DAL Wayne Ellington (Antonie Wright, enough said)
23 SAC Terrance Williams (Curry/Martin/Williams/Thompson/Hawes sounds too perfect)
24 POR Omri Casspi (Stock more talent overseas)
25 OKC Damion James (Hybrid SF/PF...could end up being what Jared Dudley is for the Bobcats, OKC needs players with intangibles)
26 CHI Tyler Hansborough (Need for a PF, will compete with Tyrus Thomas and Thomas will probably improve from the competition)
27 MEM (to NYK) Jack McClinton *
28 MIN Derrick Brown (The opposite of Daye)
29 LAL DeJuan Summers (Can be an upgrade over Walton and Morrison)
30 CLE Tai Gibson (Varejao may be good, a great filler)

1st trade
Knicks trade
David Lee (sign and trade)
Wilson Chandler

Grizz trade
Filler contract

Why for Knicks?
Get their PG.
Get their 2nd pick, D'Antoni has shown high interest in Jack McClinton

Why for Memphis?
Get their PF in Lee who would help Memphis with its rebounding/intagibles plus give 15 points per game
They still stay in the lottery and draft Jordan Hill, another quality big man.
Get a talented back up/insurance player for Gay in Chandler.

Other comments:
Washington and Sacramento may trade their picks.

My view:
Personally I would take someone like Gibson or Green over McClinton

Knicks
Rubio/Duhon/Rodriguez
Richardson/Hughes
Gallinari/Green
Harrington/Jefferies
Gortat/Sene

or

Rubio/Duhon/Rodriguez
Richardson/Hughes
Gallinari/Jefferies
Harrington/Gibson
Gortat/Sene

Last edited:

GetRealistic

Starter
Creative but not very likely my man....

We can't trade Lee until after the draft and since its a sign and trade Lee has to agree to go to Memphis in order for this to work, and i don't see Lee agreeing to that.

Rubio is a great player but unless he truely starts playing the card that he'll stay in Europe if he doesn't play in NY were not getting him... Moving from 8 to the 2nd pick is harder then people think.

I think the Knicks are perfectly content to take the best PG on the board at 8 and keep Chandler and possibly resign Lee. And i know you love Rubio and many people feel the same way but if i'm going to package our two best pieces (Lee and Chandler) i'd prefer to get a proven All Star.

ANU

Starter
there is no way I'm trading all that for rubio.this is not chris paul.donnie might as well call n.o. up and offer chandler,lee,8th pick, and mobley's contract for paul.this team needs all aorund good team if we want to entice lebron to come here.rubio is an excellent passer, but he doesn't scare anybody as a scorer. take curry/holiday/derozan.

metrocard

Legend
there is no way I'm trading all that for rubio.this is not chris paul.donnie might as well call n.o. up and offer chandler,lee,8th pick, and mobley's contract for paul.this team needs all aorund good team if we want to entice lebron to come here.rubio is an excellent passer, but he doesn't scare anybody as a scorer. take curry/holiday/derozan.

Because you would make a great GM right?

Curry, Holiday/Derozan are all one dimensional.
F*ck them.
F*ck them to hell.
I don't really want them.

I'm tired of settling for one dimensional talent and "hoping" Derozan will improve his ball handling, toughnes, agressiveness, offensive creativity, ability to create his own shot, basketball IQ, defensive awareness and fundamentals, 3pt range, productivity, assist to turnover ratio and shooting off the dribble.

Or we'll get to wait on Curry to develop his PG skills, defensive skills, shot selection.

Or even better, the worst of the 3, JRue Holiday, who will come to the NBA with fans worrying about his ability to be a go to scorer, 3pt shooting, free throw shooting, even shooting by himself in practice, stuck between 1/2, limited upside, not a true pg, ability to get to the free throw line, jack of all trades, master of nothing, average athleticism, average explosiveness, tweener, and his pull up jumper.

Rubio could be as good or better than Chris Paul, remember that.

Whatever team takes Rubio will win basketball games right away.
Mark my word.

I know its a predictable I can't prove right now, but like with everything else, I always end up right about my predictions.

So time will tell.
and you will remember my words.

ANU

Starter
metro, you know godamn well that's too much for rubio.i want rubio, but tnot at that price.you don't win championships with 1 player.you win it with at least 2 stars.the spurs did it with manu/tony/and tim, the pistons did it with rasheed/prince/billups/and rip.who did the celtics win it with last year?

you wanna gut the team of its assets to a team that gave away pau last year.

and stop acting like rubio is flawless.he's got as many flaws as the guys you shit on daily.this is not john wall we're talking about.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Gortat/Sene down low? ???????

Richardson/Hughes - Two of the most incompetent underachievers ever.

Gallo/Jeffries - Gallo is still a project...Jeffries is Jeffries.

:barf:

That's a horrendous rotation. We'd win 10 games max.

Rubio needs a real team of talent to be successful....

That's just my opinion on your opinion. Don't take offense to it.

metrocard

Legend
It isn't.
Scribbles, obviously you've been an inactive Knick fan the last 5-6 seasons.
that team is better than what we got.
We're finally have a balance between defense and offense.
No offense, look at the potential productions, not the names on paper.

ANU, who said I'm trying to get the Knicks to win a championship right away?

You start building a franchise with a franchise player. Hornets, Jazz, Cavs, Portland all did it with Paul, Williams, Lebron and Roy.

John Wall?
He's the #1 High School player in the country.

Thats it.

Rubio > Wall.

Rubio has shown dominance against professionals.
Wall has shown dominance against nobodies.

ANU

Starter
obviously, you get drafted on what you've done, and not what gm's think you can do in the league......lawson might as well go number 1.........

ANU

Starter
wall all ready committed to kentucky.ed davis is the guy i wanted this year, but, he decided to stay.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Where is all this Gortat praise coming from? The 18 minutes he logged in one game? He has not proven to be a starter nonetheless a starter in NYC.

Sene is a 10 day contract signed for dumping off on another team in trades.

Everybody else is not worth explaining, they've already showed us what they're worth.

With that rotation, you pretty much anilated the next 20+ years.

Rubio is not going to be anything without solid shooters and at least 1 threat downlow. Doesn't have to be a big man but a strong inside low post player.

I'd rather have Leon Powe serve as our Amare than a Gortat.

Gortat is no intimidating presence down low at all. Don't let Pau Gasol's soft ass D fool you.

But in all, we're going to score a big time player this offseason and it's going to be through a trade. I don't know who but it's going to happen because at this point it HAS to happen.

That's if we're still playing for keeps with LeBron.

It isn't.

You start building a franchise with a franchise player. Hornets, Jazz, Cavs, Portland all did it with Paul, Williams, Lebron and Roy.

John Wall?

Thats it.

Rubio > Wall.

GetRealistic

Starter
What college program do you think Wall will go to?
He's already a lock for the #1pick next year.

Next year's draft is loaded with big men.(good for us)

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/

I would stay away from Cole Aldrich

As far as the 2010 draft we need to make sure we have some second round picks so we can draft another Rider great Ryan Thompson... Even though he'll probably end up playing himself into the first round after his senior year.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Draft

As I have said in other threads, I think Memphis is going to pick Thabeet, but if they actually pick Rubio and do not trade his rights on draft night, i think we have a shot at getting him.

If Memphis is not inrterested enough in Thabeet, then they are likely to see what they can get for the pick pre-draft.
Memphis does not have a need for Chandler or Gallinari and they are pretty well set with a point guard, Conley, and a shooting guard, Mayo, positions in which the draft is rich. As a result the value to Memphis of our 8th pick is diminished. We simply do not have enough in assets to trade down for the second pick before draft day.

If we cannot get the 2 pick before the draft, then we are better off with Memphis actually taking him rather than trading the position to some other team with better current assets. In a week or so after the draft our assets increase with possible sign and trades for Lee or Nate. We will also have an identified 8th pick.

The CBA does not permit no trade provisions. Memphis had an interest in Lee last year. Lee can not control his destination. No matter what he signs for with New York, he can be traded. Rubio has more leverage than he does.

Who knows what will have gone on in the back rooms before the draft and who knows how obstinate Rubio will be with respect to the location of his future home base. He has got to like New York over any of the locations of the teams picking before the Knicks. If, as Metro suggests, we pick Jordan Hill, then I think it even more likely that we get Rubio from Memphis.

And if Memphis takes Thabeet, perhaps we can do somethig with Oklahoma.

Rubio would be a very exciting acquisition but it is not going to happen at or pre-draft.

metrocard

Legend
Gortat will be our shot blocker/rebounder. We're not asking him to be Shaq.

There will never be another Amare.
Powe is a Celtic, don't be a sell out.

Gortat is a physical defender/help defender...excellent post defender.
Watch some games.

You don't know what "soft" is.

I would like to see you play against Gasol and get your bones crushed...so you could realize who's really soft.
Gasol has been one of the most physical players in the playoffs in 09'...people calling him soft will forever remain ignorant. Dude stepped on his defense and physically for the success of his team. Props all given.

**** Lebron.
Artest > Lebron.
and you should agree, as a fellow Artest fan.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Don't call me ignorant, what the **** did I do to you? Scrub...

Because I think otherwise, I'm ignorant? That itself is ignorance.

Definition: Ignorance is the state in which a person lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignore information.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i like jeff teague over any PG that has been mentioned to the knicks except rubio cuz i barely seen em in action...only in da olympics

smokes

Huge Member
It isn't.

John Wall?

Thats it.

Rubio > Wall.

Well, your starting 5 is pretty whack to be honest. But it's a decent mock draft minus trading away half our team :p

But really, Rubio > Wall? Seriously, opposition isn't the point here. You watch Wall and there is *almost* 0 downside. The only possible downside you can put on him is his jumpshot, which is not greatly accurate at the moment but it is actually nicely formed, unlike Rubio who has a pretty ugly shot.

Wall is better than Rubio in almost every aspect.

He is ACTUALLY ambidextrous, not like Rubio who has learned to use both hands, Wall has full control on either side. His athleticism and speed blows Rubio out of the water, even if his jumpshot is poor, his ability to get to rim and his feeling for where the hoop is are virtually unparalleled at his size. His passing is crisp, I mean dead on, it's pinpoint. His ball control is great, he has a deadly crossover and a host of other dribble moves allowing him to tear through defenders. His defense is not only good but explosive, his athleticism allows him not only to change or block shots but to fully swat them on players his size. I could go on and on, but it's not really worth it, Rubio isn't even a consensus #1 pick nor would he be if he came out of a US college, we've seen plenty of him, he's going to be a great PG but he doesn't show that SUPERSTAR calibre yet, potential is there but he isn't showing it. Wall is an 18 year old Lebron minus a few inches.

On top of all that, when you call his opposition bad, a lot of what you see from him isn't just high school ball games, it's invitationals which have a much higher standard of players attending.

No way Rubio > Wall.