Oakley Says Curry is the Best Shooter in the World

Scribbles

Rotation player
When was the last time you heard Charles Oakley comment on something? Man, I miss reading these brazen controversy filled quotes from the Oak tree LOL

He got that Bill Walton opinion. LMAO

As Stephen Curry was leaving the practice gym Wednesday in Greenburgh, he was stopped by Mike D'Antoni, and according to Curry, was told by the Knicks coach that he doesn't have a future in New York.
"(He) walked up to me and told me, 'We can't draft you,'" Curry said. "And I was like, 'Oh, why?' And he was like, 'Because Allan Houston doesn't want to be the second-best shooter in Knicks history.'"

There is no question that Curry leads all draft prospects in confidence and hype, much of it generated by himself. When asked Wednesday what type of NBA player he expects to be, Curry answered, "A great one."
Despite what Curry says about himself, he won't be the top pick in the June25 NBA draft. Whether he will be available when the Knicks pick at No. 8 remains to be seen.

Curry, a 6-4 converted point guard, is scheduled to work out for the Washington Wizards next week. Washington holds the fifth pick. There are whispers that Curry could even go as high as fourth, to Sacramento.
Minnesota owns the seventh pick, but Curry said that he isn't planning on giving the Timberwolves a private workout. That could mean that the Wolves have no interest in Curry, or that Curry and his representatives don't want Minnesota to pick him.

The Knicks are looking to upgrade their point guard position, and there is talk that they already have a draft deal trade in place with Portland to acquire Sergio Rodriguez, who has not established himself as a starting-caliber player. If the Knicks were to acquire Rodriguez, they still may draft a point guard.

Curry worked out with UCLA freshman Jrue Holiday, who also could go in the top seven. North Carolina's Ty Lawson and Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn were in on Monday.

Holiday played under Ben Howland, who is regarded as one of the nation's top coaches and who has a habit of turning out decent pros. Trevor Ariza, Jordan Farmar, Russell Westbrook Aaron Afflalo and Kevin Love all played under Howland.

"He puts a lot of emphasis on defense," Holiday said. "There are a lot of people in the league who don't play defense like UCLA does."

The Knicks under D'Antoni are not known for their defense. It's one reason why Curry feels he is ideal for D'Antoni's up-tempo system. He is regarded as the best shooter in the draft. In fact, Charles Oakley, who played with Curry's father, Dell, calls Stephen the best shooter in the world today.

But can Curry play point guard? Davidson made the Final Eight of the 2008 NCAA Tournament with Curry at shooting guard. With Curry running the point, Davidson failed to make the 65-team field this year.

Curry did manage to strike up a friendship with LeBron James this past season, and says they text-message regularly.

"He's helped me with what to expect, as well, with the draft process ... with the hype about the draft, how to handle the pressure and workouts," Curry said. "I'll be dropping him lines if I'm here, trying to get him to come (in 2010)."

GetRealistic

Starter
When i'm looking for an opinion on shooting i always go to Charles Oakley.

I'm sure Houston was at the workout i would love to see what he has to say about Curry.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I didn't know he was Dell Curry's boy. ****ing hell! No wonder he's so fugly. Dell Curry was the Sam Cassell b4 Sam Cassell was Sam Cassell.

New New York

Quiet Storm
When i'm looking for an opinion on shooting i always go to Charles Oakley.

I'm sure Houston was at the workout i would love to see what he has to say about Curry.

Now H20 may just being gassing the kid, but, he did say that he thought he could be as good a shooter as he was.

My concern w/ Curry is at his size and can he get that shot off against players like Billups, Kobe and other strong backcourt defenders? Its one thing to have a nice shot in a workout, but game speed with bigger stronger players coming at you it is much different. Remember how good Houston's J looked during training camp video last year? My question is when his shot is off what else does he bring to the table?

Plus he isnt a pure PG, and that is what Dantoni needs, with all the hype around Curry, teams above us are looking to draft him, and Jrue Holiday is slated to be around come number 8. And with Rubio and Flynn being gone by then (via NBA Draft Express Mock Draft), I would gladly take Jrue Holiday. Jrue has to develop a shot (and I read an ESPN article that said his shot isnt as bad as some say), but the Basketball IQ is there. The Knicks have guys who can score already, but Duhon and Danillo are the only players on the roster you would call smart players (and that is even a stretch for Duhon).

I don't see any real difference between Curry and Bayless, drafting Curry will allow us to let Nate walk, but does not solve our PG problem.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Now H20 may just being gassing the kid, but, he did say that he thought he could be as good a shooter as he was.

My concern w/ Curry is at his size and can he get that shot off against players like Billups, Kobe and other strong backcourt defenders? Its one thing to have a nice shot in a workout, but game speed with bigger stronger players coming at you it is much different. Remember how good Houston's J looked during training camp video last year? My question is when his shot is off what else does he bring to the table?

Plus he isnt a pure PG, and that is what Dantoni needs, with all the hype around Curry, teams above us are looking to draft him, and Jrue Holiday is slated to be around come number 8. And with Rubio and Flynn being gone by then (via NBA Draft Express Mock Draft), I would gladly take Jrue Holiday. Jrue has to develop a shot (and I read an ESPN article that said his shot isnt as bad as some say), but the Basketball IQ is there. The Knicks have guys who can score already, but Duhon and Danillo are the only players on the roster you would call smart players (and that is even a stretch for Duhon).

I don't see any real difference between Curry and Bayless, drafting Curry will allow us to let Nate walk, but does not solve our PG problem.

Agreed. Curry will just fill in for what Nate does. A scoring spark off the bench. He will not be a good PG in the NBA. Think about it. His team made the tourney 2 years ago when he was a SG. They didn't make the tourney when he moved to PG. He does have the "star" quality that could work in New York though.

I'm not impressed with Jrue Holiday. And neither were the Knicks during his workout. Apparently he made a lot of stupid mistakes.

Johnny Flynn will be the next Earl Watson. Nothing special.

Brandon Jennings will be awful.

Is Ty Lawson worth taking at #8? Most mocks have him selected in the mid-first round range. I'm not convinced he will be that good either.

There is nobody worth taking at the 8th spot. Either we trade up and get Rubio or trade the 8th pick + Eddy Curry for an expiring contract. That's it.

I will officially be in the "Donnie and D'Antoni are Dumb" group if we trade valuable pieces to move up to get Stephen Curry.