josh smith to the knicks????

Ford also says that the Atlanta Hawks are shopping Josh Smith, but that the Hawks might have trouble finding a taker. Smith has a $6 million trade kicker that a team will have to pay immediately if they trade for Smith. With a tough economy, will GMs and owners be willing to pay that?

Aside from a chance to move Curry, i would stay away from Smith and his contract. He is a good shot-blocker, but he makes a great deal of money.

Wow. Moving Smith would be a major move for the Hawks. At 23, Smith is still growing as a player and can be a real force real soon.

Lastly, Chris Broussard is reporting that Donnie Walsh has tried to pawn off Eddy Curry on the Suns in an attempt to get Shaq.

Nice try. The Suns would save a ton next year by taking Curry and Mobley. But Curry obviously has two years left.
HTML:
http://www.theknicksblog.com

I think this is a guy we should not hesitate twice to go after...
he is perfect for D'Antoni and the knicks
he is a two way guy that blocks shots rebounds the ball and is very explosive on the offensive end and on top of that he is only 23 and gets better and better every year
there is no doubt in my mind that before long he can very well be an all star caliber player
the hawks need to shed cap as well as add some key components to the team
i would definately package a mobley, jeffries, and nate for smith's expensive contract
if not then trade chandler mobley and jeffries...
either way they recieve the cap relief with mobley the large yet not long contract of jeffries and some young talent in either chandler or nate
in my oppinion smith will be way better than chandler anyway and can play either sf or pf

then our lineup for the future can feature
lee pf/c
smith pf/sf
gallinari sf/pf/sg
our draft pick this year (flynn, holiday, curry, rubio, evens) all pg some pg/sg

and maybe chandler if we dont trade him sf/sg

wed also have harrington, duhon, hughes, qrich to either deal or let walk

this team will be extremely young and talented and appealing to stars in the future... lebron, wade amare or bosh would be able to step in very nicely and lead this young talented balanced team to great success and more importanly , since the team is young the success will occur over a long period of time

what are your guys thoughts.... i would rather add a guy like smith along with a shooting and dishing pg with the number 8 and maybe a shooting guard in the second round like ellington rather than an older athlete like odom who may have only 4 or 5 good more years left in him

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Jeffries and Nate for Josh Smith would be great. Then go get Sean Williams cheaply from NJ and the paint is protected.

PG-Rubio
SG-Chandler
SF-Gallinari
PF-Josh Smith
C-Sean Williams

A lot of alley-oops and dunks with that lineup in D'Antoni's system and excellent defensively as well. Playoff team for sure.

i think smith is a must... athletic young defense and high speed exciting offense... i would do whatever you can to get him so long as we dump something in the process.... everyone except gallo and possibly lee just because i think the two of them will compliment themselves nicely but everyone else on the block for him

bring smith to new york and the team will definately be exciting in the yrs to come

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
Jeffries and Nate for Josh Smith would be great. Then go get Sean Williams cheaply from NJ and the paint is protected.

PG-Rubio
SG-Chandler
SF-Gallinari
PF-Josh Smith
C-Sean Williams

A lot of alley-oops and dunks with that lineup in D'Antoni's system and excellent defensively as well. Playoff team for sure.

That lineup would be pretty sweet. Im sure ATL can get more than Nate for him though.

Scribbles

Rotation player
LMFAO @ Donnie shopping Eddy Curry in a package to acquire Shaq :teeth:

Like that would ever, EVER work....

New New York

Quiet Storm
LMFAO @ Donnie shopping Eddy Curry in a package to acquire Shaq :teeth:

Like that would ever, EVER work....

I thought the samething until I realized Donnie was offering Mobley's contract as well. The deal would save The Suns 10 million in cap this season, but potentially cost them 10 million the following if Curry does not opt out. Now, Al Harrington and Cutino works for Phoenix!

Scribbles

Rotation player
I concur.

As much as I'd love the Big Diesel here, he does not fill our need nor is he suited for what this squad does and well....he's old.

It would be fun to have him but he won't be effective. It's like expecting Eddy Curry to be fit enough for D'Antoni's offense.

Not happening.

metrocard

Legend
The truth is.

Josh Smith is the most talented player in the NBA.

The Atlanta Hawks are the worst at developing young talent...look at how slowly Williams and Horford have progressed, and these are top 5 lottery talent players.

I remember watching Smith back when he was balling against the Isiah Dumbasses in MSG...he dropped 39 and was so clutch in OT.

Josh Smith can score it.
Atlanta doesn't uses his strength.

He can be a Rasheed Wallace type player, more of a SF version.

His defense is underrated...people think he's just a shot blocker.
When he's focused, he could be a lock down defender.

He shot 49% in a lame offensive system.
His stats would increase immensely...similar to Shawn Marion in Phoneix.

This man has been caged for too long and is ready to break out at only age 24.

That means a good 6-12 years under New York as potential as a Knicks ledgend.

Josh Smith can do what Boris Diaw did in Phoneix, times a zillion.

Projected Josh Smith stats in 09-10 as a Knickerbocker

22 ppg
10 rebs
3.5 blocks
2 stls
3.5 assist
50% FG
35% 3pt

All NBA 2nd team
All star appearance

Hopeful Knicks line up for 2009-2010

PG - Ricky Rubio
SG - Wayne Ellington(Knicks buy first round pick with cash$$$)
SF - Danilo Gallinari
PF - Al Harrington
C - Josh Smith

Lets go do this.

Scribbles

Rotation player
The truth is.

I'm not misreading this right..?

I think you meant Josh Smith is the most talented developing player in the NBA.

Let's not get carried away.

Kobe Bryant is the most talented player in the NBA.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Josh Smith

As long as E. Curry and J. Jeffries remain on the books, the acquisition of Josh Smith would scuttle the "2010 Plan."

Smith's contract calls for $10.8M in 2009, $11.6M. in 2010, $12.4M in 2011, and $13.2M in 2012. With E. Curry's $11.3M and Jeffries $6.8M in 2010, those three players would constitute almost $30M of a cap that is likely to be about $57M. LeBron would cost at least $18M. That would leave less than $10M for another 7 or 8 players. Three of them, Gallinari, Chandler and our 8 pick would take up almost all of that.

We won't get a Josh Smith until we have eliminated E. Curry or the "2010 Plan."

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
As long as E. Curry and J. Jeffries remain on the books, the acquisition of Josh Smith would scuttle the "2010 Plan."

Smith's contract calls for $10.8M in 2009, $11.6M. in 2010, $12.4M in 2011, and $13.2M in 2012. With E. Curry's $11.3M and Jeffries $6.8M in 2010, those three players would constitute almost $30M of a cap that is likely to be about $57M. LeBron would cost at least $18M. That would leave less than $10M for another 7 or 8 players. Three of them, Gallinari, Chandler and our 8 pick would take up almost all of that.

We won't get a Josh Smith until we have eliminated E. Curry or the "2010 Plan."

Unless it's really a 2011 plan. All the top free agents have 1 year player options they may take. If they do that it puts the big free agency year back to 2011 allowing us to free up space while still acquiring a beast like Smith. Yes there are a lot of If's but it could happen. I think an extra year to dump salary would be the best thing for the Knicks.

you may be able to drop a curry or a jeffries in the trade... while they take back a bad contract that contract is not nearly as long or as much ....
if you pair a jeffries with a nate or a chandler then we get rid of two contracts for 2011 (assuming we sign nate that is) so hte plan will very much be alive
in order to make the numbers work we include jeffries or curry and some other talent
jeffries will be a decent stop gap for them at pf as well as provide some height and defense while nate can maybe provide an answer for them at point or a scoring two since they will most likely lose joe johnson in the near future
or chandler will give them a very reasonable replacement for smith aat a very cheap price
there are many options here that can include jeffries
see the main problem teams have with trading for smith is the 7.5 (not 6 like many believe) million dollar kicker... this is up front.... that is no problem for money bags dolan and will not affect 2010 plan at all

so then all we have to do is get rid of curry (possible suitors in houstoin if we temporailiy take tmac off their hands) and we can have a lbj smith amare lee 2009 draft pick lineup in 2010.... not bad at all

having smith and chandler on the same team would be relentless duo at sf but i agree that if we have to give up chandfler it is worth it because smith is an overall better player now and in the long run

dpryde

Benchwarmer
The truth is.

The Atlanta Hawks are the worst at developing young talent...look at how slowly Williams and Horford have progressed, and these are top 5 lottery talent players.

I remember watching Smith back when he was balling against the Isiah Dumbasses in MSG...he dropped 39 and was so clutch in OT.

Josh Smith can score it.
Atlanta doesn't uses his strength.

He can be a Rasheed Wallace type player, more of a SF version.

His defense is underrated...people think he's just a shot blocker.
When he's focused, he could be a lock down defender.

He shot 49% in a lame offensive system.
His stats would increase immensely...similar to Shawn Marion in Phoneix.

This man has been caged for too long and is ready to break out at only age 24.

That means a good 6-12 years under New York as potential as a Knicks ledgend.

Josh Smith can do what Boris Diaw did in Phoneix, times a zillion.

Projected Josh Smith stats in 09-10 as a Knickerbocker

22 ppg
10 rebs
3.5 blocks
2 stls
3.5 assist
50% FG
35% 3pt

All NBA 2nd team
All star appearance

Hopeful Knicks line up for 2009-2010

PG - Ricky Rubio
SG - Wayne Ellington(Knicks buy first round pick with cash$$$)
SF - Danilo Gallinari
PF - Al Harrington
C - Josh Smith

Lets go do this.

agreed with everything except i dont think josh smith is the most talented devoloping player. that goes to kevin durant

agreed with everything except i dont think josh smith is the most talented devoloping player. that goes to kevin durant

i think josh smith is the most talented developing 2 way player
durant is a pure scorer... not much on the line of defense
smith is a scorer rebounder shot blocker and lock down defender
smith is one of the few players that has not ceiliing... he can be as good as he wants and as good as a coach will let him be
d'antoni's style fits him perfectly he can shut down a big time scorer on one end and get into the break on offense throwning down dunks or hitting his mid range jumper... players like him, lbj, wade, amare, and bosh (all slashers/inside guys) will be even more efective if we can surround them with shooters to spread the floor... we may have the ability to do so with gallo, draft s curry , and then get a second rounder and draft another shooter in wayne ellington..... all of a sudden we are a team with star slashers and are deadly from 3 different positions at 3 point range

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
I totally understand why the Hawks would trade such a talented player, and that is because his head is not always on the games. During this past season he would go on streaks of missing 8 free throws in a row. He would miss defensive assignments and is a hard player to coach. I wouldn't trade Chandler for him, who you can develop to give you the same production at a much cheaper price. Is not Isiah running the show, it is two very smart people in Walsh and D'antoni so they wouldn't think of making such a stupid move.

We need character players here, enough of the Marbury's, Tim Thomases, and Zach Randolph please. We need people that care for the game of basketball, one another, and willing to sacrifice for their team, teammates, and the city of New York.

Patience Folks Patience...