Official Tyreke Evans thread

metrocard

Legend
Dude has superstar written all over him...just did a full research and I'm convinced.

If teams were smart, he would go top 3.

But sadly Clippers drafted Gordon
Memphis drafted Mayo
Sonics got Durant

All those guys play SG...and are the future at those positions
Kings have Martin at SG....
Wizards want Curry
Minnesota want Curry too...Rubio also...but if they arent available I hope they dont take Evans.

GS is a mess...so who knows what they do.

Only teams in our way is MN and GS...Evans could turn out to be the best player from this draft, seriously.

JayJ44

Starter
I heard we're trying to trade Wilson Chandler to the Wizards for the 5th pick. That would be great, because it would definitely let us pick up Evans. Minnesota will draft Evans if he's available, unfortunately. He had a great workout with them.

I agree that he has superstar potential. He's strong, athletic, great ball handler, great scorer, and has PG skills. Plus his defense is pretty good. That's usually the recipe for a superstar.

what get out of here, until we know what gallo can really do, we dont trade chandler just yet. The guy can guard four positions, doubled his stat line last year, and will only continue to grow, and steps up against the better teams of the league. If gallo steps up this year at the 3, then chandler is expendable but until then who do we replace him with in either the draft or already on the team..

ummm no one.

metrocard

Legend
Timberwolves Workout Response: Point Guards

by rfoye4 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:50 pm

Today I was at the Timberwolves practice facility to watch their private workouts for Tyreke Evans, Jonny Flynn, Ty Lawson, Brandon Jennings, Jrue Holiday, and Jeff Teague.

First off, I want to openly admit that I have been a big critic on the idea of drafting Tyreke Evans at 6, for a number of reasons...after today, however, one thing became very clear to me, Tyreke Evans is going to be one Hell of a player.

Evans is HUGE. He showed an incredible combination of size/speed/athleticism/jumping ability/pure bull strength/defense/shooting ability
that I have not seen from any prospect since, dare I say, this one really tall muscular guy that one a big award this past year. Again, I have been very critical of Evans, but this guy looked like a mini Lebron out there. He dominated in the one on ones, finishing at the rim time and time again after showing very impressive moves and ball handling along with his explosive athleticism. He dominated every single point guard there, jonny flynn was really the only one who stopped him once or twice, and it was more Evans just missed than him stopping him. In the 1-on-1s, the players would have to work to get open for an in-bounds pass, and then had four seconds to get a shot off...most often they received the ball between the top of the key and half court, and evans would get to the rim with ease, bull rushing, juking, spinning, whatever he wanted to do, he did. He made Jennings basically fall down a couple times, and hit 3s in the face of lawson and flynn that drew pretty big Ohhhhs from the small crowd watching on.

Evans hit a handful of 3's in the one on ones and 3-on-3 drills, Including a game winning 3 in the face of i believe Ty Lawson to end the workout. He was simply a man amongst boys today. Tyreke definitely shot better than I had imagined, that will not be an issue down the road.

Flynn was very impressive also. Very strong with the ball, by far the best ball handler there, and a very smooth jump shot. He will be a very good point guard...good guy, hard worker and just gave off a good leadership kind of vibe.

Lawson was good in the one on ones and everything, nothing really stood out though. He made a few shots but overall is was an average showing for him. Didn't seem as fast as the other guys.

Holiday shot the ball very well, seems a little underdeveloped physically, obviously, but his shot is real good. He was good in the open floor and played pretty good defense.

Jennings and Teague just blended in. Jennings is extremely fast and quick on his feet but he got beat on Defense all day and his shot is really ugly. Along with that, he was slamming the ball down, complaining about not getting fouls and letting the "F" bomb go...right in front of Kahn...great idea...

Teague shot the ball well but otherwise he was a sideshow.

Afterwards, Kahn invited the small crowd of season tix holders in to a private room to ask questions.
-He said we won 24 games, nobody is irreplaceable
-Said that they are actively looking to add picks/ trade picks
-When asked if he preferred a pure point guard or combo point guard, he said whatever fits the players around him best.
-Stated there is no truth to marc jackson rumors, no searching for coach will be done until after the draft.
-Said he did not view Pekovic as the tall, long rim defender at Center that he has been talking about, although he does really like him a lot.
-Confirmed his statements that Al would be 2nd best player on championship team and Love 4th if he reached potential.
-When asked who he liked the most from workouts so far, he said he REALLY like what he saw today...considering Tyreke Evans was a one man show out there, its safe to say he likes him a lot.
-If I remember any more of his private Q/A answers I will repost.

Overall I rate the prospects from today in this order:

1. Evans (BY FAR)
2. Flynn
3. Lawson
4. Holiday
5. Tie: Jennings and Teague

I am now completely on board with getting Evans, I cannot believe how dominant he was, the matchup problems that would arise from having him and Foye back there would be great. No point guard would be able to guard this guy especially if he is surrounded with the right talent. I am sold.

niiiiiiceeee

metrocard

Legend
what get out of here, until we know what gallo can really do, we dont trade chandler just yet. The guy can guard four positions, doubled his stat line last year, and will only continue to grow, and steps up against the better teams of the league. If gallo steps up this year at the 3, then chandler is expendable but until then who do we replace him with in either the draft or already on the team..

ummm no one.

What will Chandler's numbers look like at his prime?
Humor us.

smokes

Huge Member
It's not really nice though if Minnie is gonna take him over us and we seem to have no intention of trading up at least Donnie has not mentioned anything of the sort. 5 days to go, waiting on tenterhooks.

ANU

Starter
maybe.I'm not as sold as you are.i think he has alot of ****ing up he can do.though i think he has alot of talent too.

JayJ44

Starter
The Knicks are trying to make a deal with Washington to move up to the 5th pick offering Wilson Chandler. New York is after a number of players that they don't feel they can get at their #8 pick including Curry, Ricky Rubio and Jordan Hill.

It's possible they will offer their pick in a deal or hold onto their pick and add the 5th pick along with their 8th pick.
http://www.nbadraft.net/node/7444

The good news is that we might trade up. The bad news is, we might trade up to pick Curry or Hill.
:barf:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Trading up to 5

It seems that there are at least 6 picks any one of whom most of us would be quite happy to get -- Griffen, Rubio, Thabeet, Curry, Harden and Evans. There are some good prospects beyond those six, e.g., Flynn, Hill, Holiday, Lawson, but at least some of us have doubts about each of them.

There will be some promising picks at 8, but I would feel a lot better if we could trade up to 5. Griffen, of course, wil be gone and probably Thabeet and Rubio, but 5 would give us Curry, Harden or Evans for sure.

Would the 8th pick, Mobley's 80% insured contract and any cash permissible for Etan Thomas be enough? Unfortunately I do not think so. We would probably have to throw in Chandler and I do not want to lose him despite Metro's very valid observations.

This week should be interesting. A lot of teams will want that 5 spot. Minnesota and Golden State picking ahead of us will be unsettling if not downright depressing.

smokes

Huge Member
This week should be interesting. A lot of teams will want that 5 spot. Minnesota and Golden State picking ahead of us will be unsettling if not downright depressing.

Seeing Clippers get the first pick is damn near depressing enough.

The LA Clippers, where careers go to die.

____I♥NY____

Benchwarmer
Dude has superstar written all over him...just did a full research and I'm convinced.

Memphis drafted Mayo
Sonics got Durant

Wizards want Curry
Minnesota want Curry too...Rubio also...but if they arent available I hope they dont take Evans.

Only teams in our way is MN and GS...Evans could turn out to be the best player from this draft, seriously.

Future Dwayne Wade metro??

Next yrs projected stats for wilson chandler

gm min ppg reb ast stl blk fg ft tp age
82 35.6 17.1 7.5 3.8 1.7 1.5 523 789 389 22

Is there truly a better player in the draft from 5-8

I dunno

im not saying dont trade him, im saying dont trade him for jordan hill and tyreke evans. I dont see hill panning out as being a better player than chandler, and we dont need to trade for evans because either he will go later than 8 or will still be there at 8.

nowwww if we could trade him for the 5th pick, keep the 8th then package both picks for persay a top 3 pick. thats a different story, but after 5 i dont see any one being significantly better than chandler especially being that wilson is only 22 years old.

and truthfully, look around the league at all the 22 year olds, wilsons over all production is as good as any one his age other than kevin durant, and I say that because look at all the other shooters and ball handlers he had to share the ball with this year, and still played like a stud against big name teams
when he got looks and shot over 15 shots a game he averaged over 20 ppg.

why trade away a 22 year old dynamic player who will improve every year, for the 5th pick when the only promised stars are 1-4.

metro not arguing, just in my opinion I feel chandler is key to our future in a way that no 5-8th pick can be.

and for provocation

games where will the thrill shot over 15 shots

in 32 games avg 21 ppg. at 22 years old.

if we lost al harrington chucker

and got a true pg instead of duhons 40 yr old knees and nates 3 shots for every minute he plays off the bench

this guy would be a super star on the rise

we keep him.

end of story.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
DontForget, no.

Chandler isn't a good 3pt shooter.
He's not aggressive around the boards to average 7 rebounds.
Not aggresive enough defender to block 1.5 shots or get that many steals all together.
He doesn't drive to the basket enough to average 17 ppg.

So keep hoping.
Chandler is a 43% FG shooter...not 52%.

Thats a very comical and lame prediction, but keep hoping.

More realistic is (at best)

15 ppg
44% FG
32% 3pt
6 rebs
1 stl
1 blk

you said 3.8 assist...LMAO
more like 2.5 at best dude.

Gallinari will take Chandler's spot anyway, so I see his minutes going away this season.

More realistic

9 ppg
42% FG
29% 3pt
4 rebs
.7 stl
.6 blk

Chandler will regress and depress like Channing Frye.

Book it.

I'm never wrong on these things, so trust me.

and I was HIGH on Chandler before the 08-09 season.
But that season showed me the truth.

I<3NY...Evans could be like Wade or even better since Evans is way bigger and physically superior.

Lets compare the two. (bold means superior number to the other)

Physicals
Evans
Height: 6"5.25
Weight: 221
Reach: 8"8
Wingspan: 6"11.25
Body fat: 7.1

Wade
Height: 6"4
Weight: 212
Reach: 8"6
Wingspan: 6"10
Body fat: 6.7

Freshman year stats
Evans
College: Memphis
Games Played: 37
PPG: 17.1 on 45% FG
2ptFG: 52%(10.3 attempts)
3ptFG: 27%(3 attempts)
FT:71 (5.2 attempts)
5.4 rebounds
3.9 assist
2.1 steals
.8 blocks
3.6 to's

Wade
College: Marquette
Games Played: 32
PPG: 17.8 on 48% FG
2ptFG: 50%(14 attempts)
3ptFG: 34%(1 attempts)
FT: 69% (4.8 attempts)
6.6 rebounds
3.4 assist
2.5 steals
1.1 blocks
3 to's

They're really not different from each other, so its logical to say Evans has Wade-like potential or even better. He's definitely not a bust pick or "Larry Hughes" like most stupid mock sites have him as.

+

Evans has more PG skills than Wade.

jimkcchief88

All Star

Memphis drafted Mayo
Sonics got Durant

Wizards want Curry

Thank you Metro!!! Now this is what I'm talking about. If Tyreke actually is still around at the 8th and we grab him, I am out buying the jersey the next day and we are instantly a playoff team. The dude can play the 1 or the 2 with relative ease, already has an NBA body, and can get to the hole and finish. See if you can find clips from the second half of the Mizzou-Memphis sweet 16 game from this year's NCAA tourney. Mizzou was up by 25 in the second half and Tyreke almost single-handedly brought Memphis back. Mizzou's coach plays the Nolan Richardson "40 minutes of hell" pressing and trapping defense and Tyreke handled all of that. Tyreke was quicker than all our guards and got to the hole at will. And when Tyreke got into the lane, he either finished or got to the foul line. Tyreke dropped 33 in a losing effort vs MIZZOU, a career high in the biggest game of the year. Sign him please!!

jimkcchief88

All Star
DontForget, no.

Not aggresive enough defender to block 1.5 shots or get that many steals all together.

So keep hoping.

15 ppg
44% FG
32% 3pt
6 rebs
1 stl
1 blk

Gallinari will take Chandler's spot anyway, so I see his minutes going away this season.

More realistic

9 ppg
42% FG
29% 3pt
4 rebs
.7 stl
.6 blk

Book it.

I<3NY...Evans could be like Wade or even better since Evans is way bigger and physically superior.

Physicals
Evans

Wade

Freshman year stats
Evans
5.4 rebounds
3.9 assist
2.1 steals
.8 blocks
3.6 to's

Wade
6.6 rebounds
3.4 assist
2.5 steals
1.1 blocks
3 to's

They're really not different from each other, so its logical to say Evans has Wade-like potential or even better. He's definitely not a bust pick or "Larry Hughes" like most stupid mock sites have him as.

+

I agree with the Evans-Wade comparison, however let's not throw Chandler under the bus here. I can't see Gallinari take minutes from Chandler, that's a pipe dream. The only thing the "Cock" can do better than Chandler is set-shoot, and hopefully Chandler is working on that this summer. With Tyreke and Chandler in the backcourt driving to the hole, Gallinari would get his wide open set shots on the kick-outs. We would have the best Knicks backcourt since Houston and Spree. These are all young, versatile players that could mix-match and play together if coached properly.

____I♥NY____

Benchwarmer

Physicals
Evans

Wade

Freshman year stats
Evans
5.4 rebounds
3.9 assist
2.1 steals
.8 blocks
3.6 to's

Wade
6.6 rebounds
3.4 assist
2.5 steals
1.1 blocks
3 to's

+

Nice Comparison.

I need to put you on the spot for a second.

Your the GM at this Draft, you have the possible options which one would you go with:

1) Draft Stephen Curry
2) Draft Evans
3) Exchange 8th pick for Rubio and Wilson Chandler and/or Larry Hughes

By the Way, your Ideas are looking great, your mock drafts are pretty good. Keep it up. Try to release two more before the actual draft.

DontForget, no.

So keep hoping.

15 ppg
44% FG
32% 3pt
6 rebs
1 stl
1 blk

More realistic

9 ppg
42% FG
29% 3pt
4 rebs
.7 stl
.6 blk

Book it.

Physicals
Evans

Wade

Freshman year stats
Evans
5.4 rebounds
3.9 assist
2.1 steals
.8 blocks
3.6 to's

Wade
6.6 rebounds
3.4 assist
2.5 steals
1.1 blocks
3 to's

+

I forgot metro is delusional ...next poster.

jimkcchief88

All Star
So now check the line-up with the addition of Tyreke:

pg- Tyreke Evans
sg- Wilson Chandler
sf- Danillo
pf- D-Lee
c- Eddy Curry

Duhon can go back to being a situational pg, Harrington is trade-bait, and N8 can still come off the bench for energy. Now you have a young team that could gun with the rest of them. I am not giving up on Eddy Curry because he is still a young guy as well. It has all come easy to him so far in his basketball career, hopefully last year was a reality check. Remember E-city has put up big numbers in an NBA uni. So if E-city is health and in shape, the cocks back is healthy, and we draft Tyreke, the Knicks are instantly playoff bound.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
D-Wade?? Please. This draft sucks. He's another tweener. Can't play PG and can't shoot worth sh*t.

Best Case: Larry Hughes
Worst Case: Willie Green

WEAKNESSES:
- Decision making
- Dominant ball-handler
- Out of control at times
- Shot-selection
- Stuck between 1 and 2
- Turnover prone
- Doesn't always know limitations
- Off-court red flags?
- Older than class peers
- Poor assist/turnover ratio
- 3-point shooting percentages
- Free throw shooting

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyreke-Evans-1110/

NBA Comparison: Jamal Crawford/Larry Hughes

Weaknesses: His jumpshot has shown very little progress and he continues to struggle with inconsistent shooting … Most of his shooting woes can be directly pointed at his unorthodox release … He slings the ball from behind his head, losing sight of it completely at the point of release … Must improve his midrange game, his pullup lacks rhythm, often leaving him off balance with varying results … A bit of a tweener at this point, does not have the blazing speed or quickness to play as a PG full time, and lacks the vertical explosiveness possessed by the wing players … A decent athlete with an unreliable outside shot (a combination that is not ideal for the next level), he will have to rely on his deceptiveness and crafty game off the dribble to get by defenders … Has always had the ball in his hands and been allowed to operate freely, will he be able to adapt and still be effective playing off the ball and does he know how to use screens or how to work in a traditional half court set? ... Is still prone to tunnel vision, where he seems to forget about his teammates … Defensively, he is a bit lackadaisical, and while he does have long arms, because of questionable lateral quickness he will have to work extremely hard to contain the ball on the perimeter … The 3.6 TOs per game are a result of both the system he was in, and his out of control play … Needs to learn to pick his spots better, rather than attacking into traffic and getting into trouble …

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyreke-evans