Official Tony Douglas Thread

metrocard

Legend
I think he is a sleeper in this draft and i believe Eric Snow said the same on NBA TV.

Douglas averaged 21 ppg and was the ACC defensive player of the year so that is saying something. I also heard from a scout that if the draft wasn't so deep with PG's that Douglas would have gone earlier in the draft...maybe even late lottery selection.

He also averaged 26 ppg against Duke and some other good Florida team which shows that he can be just as good against harder pro-like competition.

All that said, I can expect Douglas to be a good player that will hustle and play good D and hopefully be a clutch Eddie House type of PG or even more.

Douglas attributes make him a SG.

portega1968

El Cacique
would ya'll trade for Ben Gordon and make him play the point?

of course not.. although 6'2", Gordon is a scoring guard.

Douglas is pretty much like Gordon, so any expectations of making him play point is totally missing the mark.

think a smaller and much less athletic Latrell Sprewell... always on attack mode; just needs the scowl!!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, he's more of a shooting guard. He lacks size, but is a lockdown defender. He's not very athletic, but has strength to make up for it. He's not the greatest passer, but he has an excellent jump shot and will draw fouls. And of course, every interview I've read about him just makes me like him more.

“Everytime I’m on the floor, you better bring it, because I’m going to bring my game,” Douglas said. “You rarely see a guard who can score and play the point who plays with as much passion on the defensive end as offense. I can guard. It’s just the right way to play. Everyone loves the offensive end, but you win games on defense.”

It's about time somebody on this team emphasized defense.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
that was a great quote, dude has the game to back himself up. great pick by walsh dude, is flat out disgusting. im really looking forward to watching him play now. dude is gonna be our Starks/Sprewell mix

metrocard

Legend
that was a great quote, dude has the game to back himself up. great pick by walsh dude, is flat out disgusting. im really looking forward to watching him play now. dude is gonna be our Starks/Sprewell mix

Yea, I love it...maybe he could be a Raja Bell?

Man, only if he was 6"5, he would be the perfect pick.

Whatever, size is overrated....I kinda like that he's 6"2. Plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Starks/Sprewell are great comparision.

We got a two way player with the 29th.

Hill could be a two way player too, hopefully.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
hell yea, something tells me this draft will be great for us when they play. Douglas like we said is the mix of Starks/Sprewell and he'll be one of the top 6th men in the league for a while in this system.

and i think all the draft experts and even us are sleeping on Hill, dude is nasty in the paint and is working on his range. once he gets it down he'll be nasty, he's shown improvement as he improved dramatically every year in college he too will be nasty especially in this system. i mean draft experts dont mean shit, when it comes to playing then we find out, i mean they called DeShawn Stevenson the next "jordan" and we know what happened there, and Roy was supposed to be a role player and now he's a franchise player. Hill will shut them up cause he has something to prove not only to analysts but to knick fans as well.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I've heard nothing about rave reports about this kid. I watched a few vids of him, and from what I can see, he's as good as if not better than Curry.

It's a big call, because of obviously highlights are abundant because nobody posts lowlights on youtube. He can't shoot as well as Curry, but who can?

He doesn't seem to have much of a great first step, but does Curry? Not from what I can gather.

What else do we know about this kid?

ACC DPOY. Sweet! He's obviously confident, hopefully not overly confident. Sweet.

But is he another fool who loves himself unnecessarily or whatever? ie: Marbury, Stoudemire, Rondo.....

Who knows? Fill me in. No Gaylord.

mafra

Legend
TD is a 4-year senior... He's not raw. HE LOVES to play defense, as he said himself on WFAN "Offense may go into a slump but defense never slumps." COuld he be another Starks? Maybe a smaller version of Gerlad Wilkins? We hope so...

BUT, he's played in a big time conference. He actually went to Fla St. b/c he wanted to help build a program instead of going to a proven winner.

You might say, in a few years, that TD is a better NBA player then Stephen Curry. TD's body is already NBA-ready in terms of strength.... He's obviously not as good a shooter, but he's a gifted scorer nonetheless.

A very solid value selection for the 29th pick.

Who knows if it pans out.... BUT, I know he wont shy away from the challenge. The physical play will not intimidate him.... AND HE WILL IMPROVE his overall game.

I want to believe he'll be next year's Courtney Lee for the Knicks? I know Lee is 3-inches taller.... Still, I think TD will bring the same type of game to NY.

CoolClyde

Tony Starks = Iron Man

Starks/Sprewell (2 fave players) is best comparison I've heard in years...
how can you not love Tony "Starks", the Iron Man?
Douglas' defensive quotes are exactly what Knick fans want to hear...
a four-year college man who knows Defense wins games and championships.
Seems most KO posters agree, his pros FAR outweigh any cons.
21 ppg avg AND ACC Defensive player of the year? We got ourselves a Knickerbocker!
Touchdown for DWalsh! He knows he's gotta stack the deck with Defensive players
in a No-D'Antoni offense. and he got 3-D in the draft! Cool!

Knicks Defensive squad:
Douglas PG / Duhon
Chandler SG / N8
Hill PF / Wilcox
Gallinari SF / Harrington
Darko C / Curry

we can only get better at this point...guard.
:peace:
Yes to TD. I have a feeling Walt will approve...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Sounds like a great value pick and could be the steal of the draft. If he turns out to be as good as the last PG we drafted from FSU(Charlie Ward), I will be happy.

mafra

Legend
Sounds like a great value pick and could be the steal of the draft. If he turns out to be as good as the last PG we drafted from FSU(Charlie Ward), I will be happy.

Kahn (Newsday) said it best: Duhon resembles Ward and Douglas plays like Childs. We might have our old combo-PG duo back.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
i like him but the fact that he referred to himself in the third person at halftime made me a little nervous.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
I was worried TD would just be another SG in a PGs body...He looked like a PG yesterday. Careful with the ball, and very comfortable looking running the offense. I think we've found a real back-up PG...

Now if we could just get a REAL starting PG...

nyk_nyk

All Star
I agree, he did look good running the point last night. ZERO turnovers was the stat that was most impressive to me given the usual sloppiness of summer league play. I already know he's more of a scoring guard and was most likely giving out assists because he knows that's what the coaches want to see. Overall I give him a B- for the night mainly because of his shooting percentage.

metrocard

Legend
11 assist to 0 zero turnovers is REALLY impressive.
Why?

Summerleague is a turnover frenzy.

Something about Douglas' game screams maturity. He isn't going to go for the special pay, but he will make plays...good BBall IQ.

Still to early, but if Douglas can be that type of PG with his scoring ability, we got a steal.