Official Rubio Rumormill

clumsy

Rotation player
It's pretty reprehensible that Oklahoma didn't draft Rubio. That would have been the best move for Rubio and definitely sped up his development to the NBA game. Plus it probably would have been the most exciting team in the NBA.

Then when all the big contracts come up Rubio could leave then to the highest bidder

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Rubio in NY

I would certainly like having Rubio in New York, but it is almost too good to be possibly true.

Kahn has got to save face, so it will cost. Minnesota has tons of front court. They certainly do not want Hughes because he comes with a $13M. contract. Lee will not want to play there either and they do not need him in the front court. A sign and trade for Nate is a possibility.

It will cost at least Chandler and a first round pick or two in the future. It cannot be 2011, because we do not have 2010. And they will likely get Mobley's contract. We might have to take Thomas for Nate's contract and give them Mobley's contract for Cardinal or vice versa.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah Hughes costs a 13 million dollar contract but they're 9 million under the cap right now and Cuttino Mobley's contract is basically like giving them 9 million dollars. Mobley's contract gives them the ability to either take on Larry Hughes' salary or sign Hedo Turkoglu, or hell even both depending on where Turkoglu's stock falls given that it's the year right before the Summer of LeBron.

We'll take Brian Cardinal and Etan Thomas off their hands, give them Larry Hughes in return, and throw in Cuttino Mobley's contract which is like a free 9 million dollars that's akin to saying "Hey, go crazy and sign Turk!"

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I see more of a likelihood in Rubio ending up as a Blazer. Oden and Outlaw + potentially a pick for Rubio and perhaps Love. Far moer realistic than any NY scenario.

We really have nothing worth offering and, Lee, being the only REAL bargaining chip we have, won't bite on the trade and isn't needed in Minnesota and can earn more elsewhere.

Rubio's worth as a play maker/perimeter defender far exceeds what Donnie has in his pocket. Never mind his BUYOUT which is massive.

I'm gonna be one of the few to say that there's no chance. You can't seriously think that the rumors have any real validity.

I'd still love for it to happen, but seriously. Don't be silly.

Kiyaman

Legend
Rubio belongs in New York, if Donnie has balls and respect, he would give up everything he can to get him.
Thats how it should be done.
No one on this roster except Gallo and our draft picks shouldnt be kept...should not get in the way of us getting Rubio.

Anything that has been touched by Isiah should be on sale.

Metro....do u have a high FEVER?

Rubio is a high risk player inwhich it would take 2 to 3 seasons before u can give him above 24 minutes of playingtime in the NBA (to run your team).
The Knicks have to many one year rented players which is in it for their stats, teammates communication is a big part of a PG job.
And I dont see any of the Knicks one year rented players helping Gallo or Rubio get familiar to the NBA. Dantoni seen it last year.....something Renaldo Balkman said or did to Gallo got him traded quick fast after the SLG as an example but it did not help Gallo growth in the NBA.

Rubio wish he was traded to Denver instead of Ty Lawson.
This way Billups tutorship would get him more familiar with teammates, oponents, NBA rules, coaching, and officials. Plus take a big load off his shoulder in carrying a entire team on his back.

Do u think Duhon one year contract will do the same for Rubio?
if u do then u have a high fever and need to call emergency 911.

Kiyaman

Legend
The first four picks in the draft did the wise thing by skipping over Rubio....I cant say the same for alot of Knick Fans that was so happy in selecting Gallo for his 18 game services in his rookie season b/c they would've selected Rubio thinking the semi pro Euro League is the same as the NBA.
Well it's not.....it's just that it improved alot from what it was when our college players played on our Olympic Team to get a Gold Medal.

To think that Rubio will come to the NBA and do what he did on the Olympic Team and in the Euro League vs NBA oponents makes u as stupid as Minny Kahn (maybe after 3 or 4 years in the NBA).

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Don't hate on the Euroleague. There's team unison there that we haven't seen since Laker show time in the NBA. The talent isn't as good but the "common goal" ethic equally outmatches it comparatively, and throughout it's entirety.

Team USA had to take some corny bullshit "inspiration sessions" to help them alleviate tunnel vision & take gold for ****s sake. It got old real ****ing quick IMO. Especially when they called in the US Army death squad with sad stories of violence and disfigurement. Retarted.

The last college gold was 1984 right? Irrelevant comparison even if it was between then and Barcelona.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Keep in mind that Rubio wants to play in New York and will not play in Minnesota. This gives us a major advantage in trading. I don't think we should low ball Kahn. He and Walsh are good friends so Walsh wouldn't low ball him anyway, but we don't need to give him half of the farm for Rubio. Lee and the 29th pick should really do it. Adding Chandler to the trade would be too much in my opinion.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The Timberwolves don't really need David Lee with Al Jefferson and Kevin Love on their team, though. They'd probably try to get Wilson Chandler because they do need a small forward; Gomes isnt' going to cut it for any team that wants to make the playoffs.

How the hell is Wilson Chandler 1 dimensional Metro? He was like the only guy on the team to average near 1 bpg, He can score from mid range, can drive when he wants to, and can guard multiple positions.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
You know Rubio wants to be a Knick when he says stuff like New York is closer to Spain....only an 1.5 hour difference from Minnesota.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Alot of great points by everyone on the matter. But this boils down to a business move by Rubio and his agent, period. By signing with the Knicks his buyout clause would not be an issue since he would receive plenty of marketing opportunities in the Big Apple. This has nothing to do with basketball at the moment, since Rubio is highly underpaid in Spain he wants the biggest market to help his buyout and increase his current contract. His value right now is at an all time high and his agent, his family, himself want to get this done, a trade to New York.

Someone suggested that Portland can give more and that thoughts of Rubio in NY aren't true. Well, do you think the Blazers would give up on their core pieces for a player that wouldn't come to the US for the next 2-3 years. Common on now, Portland is one of the best franchises in the NBA right now and they know how to build a team. It is Rubio to Spain or New York, that's it!

ANU

Starter
Rubio belongs in New York, if Donnie has balls and respect, he would give up everything he can to get him.
Thats how it should be done.
No one on this roster except Gallo and our draft picks shouldnt be kept...should not get in the way of us getting Rubio.

Anything that has been touched by Isiah should be on sale.
the t-huahuas are in a bind.**** em.don't do em any favors.and as crazy 8's said, he'll probably end up in portland.maybe he can get some of that northwest nike money to pay his buy out.i think ricky will be special, I'm just not sure how special.

besides, that gm sounds like an incredible douche.

BernardKing

Rookie
Alot of great points by everyone on the matter. But this boils down to a business move by Rubio and his agent, period. By signing with the Knicks his buyout clause would not be an issue since he would receive plenty of marketing opportunities in the Big Apple. This has nothing to do with basketball at the moment, since Rubio is highly underpaid in Spain he wants the biggest market to help his buyout and increase his current contract. His value right now is at an all time high and his agent, his family, himself want to get this done, a trade to New York.

Someone suggested that Portland can give more and that thoughts of Rubio in NY aren't true. Well, do you think the Blazers would give up on their core pieces for a player that wouldn't come to the US for the next 2-3 years. Common on now, Portland is one of the best franchises in the NBA right now and they know how to build a team. It is Rubio to Spain or New York, that's it!

I agree. I also don't think that Kahn is an idiot as others have suggested. When Rubio fell into his lap at #5, he recognized that by selecting and trading Rubio, he could get higher than normal trade value for him (as though he were a #2 or #3 pick, not a #5...). He knows Rubio won't play for Minny, but he also knows Walsh, and they can work something out.

Kahn knows that he needs to turn Minny around because they were putrid last year. The economy sucks, and the T-Wolves better win this year if they want their share of the Minnesota sports entertainment dollar.

Kahn gave up Miller and Foye for the #5 pick, so he needs to replace those guys with proven young players who can contribute immediately and help turn things around over there. They are not far enough under the cap to sign impact free agents, so how else can he get those kinds of players?

I believe that it's always been NY or Spain from Rubio's view, because from a PR perspective, he has the perfect excuse for refusing to come to the NBA right now (buyout). That actually gives him leverage. Add in the fact that he's only 18, which means that he can wait 3 years and still only be 21 years old etc...

This deal can get done, and Kahn and Walsh can both come out of it smelling like Roses... If Kahn were to add DLee and Nate to his team, he would be adding two young, highly regarded free agents to his team. He wouldn't be able to sign them otherwise.

As far as the notion of them not wanting DLee just because they already have two quality bigs... I don't believe that. DLee would give them a 3rd quality big and don't forget that Kahn intimately knows the Pacer teams that were successful with 3 quality big guys (Rik Smits, Antonio Davis and Dale Davis).

A possible trade could be:
DLee and Nate (Sign-and-Trade, Base Year Compensation...) for Rubio's rights and one of their overpaid scrubs (probably Cardinal).

We'll see what (if anything) happens...

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We'd probably have to take Etan Thomas if it were DLee and Nate, though.

Or alternatively we could always just try to cinvince them to take Larry Hughes like I suggested. They do need a shooting guard after all; no team with Rodney Carney at the 2 is going to the playoffs anytime soon unless they're that confident in Wayne Ellington (even so, he's a rookie).

Kahn:

"I purposely selected Ricky with the fifth pick, not the sixth, to help with his buyout situation. Ricky and his family have taken a very bold step to enter the NBA despite having two years remaining on his contract with his Spanish team. I know that they would have preferred that we try to move to the second or third pick to take him, and I respect their wishes, but my belief was that we need during these next 15 months to acquire multiple pieces to make this a championship-contending team over the next three-to-four years. The price for moving to No. 2 or 3 was far too steep".

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/wolves/2009/06/26/a-post-draft-night-letter-from-david-kahn/

mafra

Legend
Knicks actually liked Curry, Evans & Hill over Rubio (according to Newsday).... Just b/c he's European, doesn't necessarily mean D'ant is going crazy to get him. I mean, they certainly like him and would entertain the notion of brining him here to orchestrate the offense.... BUT, they wont break the bank.

They will not deal Wilson Chandler. They wouldn't send him to WAS.... I doubt they do it here.

Rubio fits if the price is right. Otherwise, there are other options...

Don't discount Toney Dougles either.... Knicks love this kid.

If Minny wants to shed an expiring contract, if they want Mobley's contract, if they'll take Nate Robinson, Larry Hughes or Al Harrington.... I see DW getting in the mix.

BUT, there is NO WAY DW goes all out to get Rubio.... ruin the 2010 plan.

Danilo Galineri, Wilson Chandler, Jordan Hill & Toney Douglas are the foundation to attract Lebron & Co.; David Lee is more than welcome to be a part of this turnaround if he doesn't get greedy.

Darko, Duhon, Harrington can plan their way into the mix if they accept their roles.

Eddie Curry has another life.... He's playing for his future, a final payday.... I assume if he gets back to form he'll be dealt... ala Randolph....

Knicks will look to add a piece like Gortat.... Then sit back and wait until next year where they'll likely land Bosh or Amare, and of course.... LEBRON!

BernardKing

Rookie
Here's the problem:

How does this trade work under the Stern rules? If we sign-&-deal Lee & Nate.... That's like what? 8-9 mil a year for Lee, 4-6 a year for Nate? Rubio gets signed under slot for his pick? Would the $ match up?

When Nate and DLee sign new contracts, they will be considered 'Base Year Compensation' players. That means that in a sign-and-trade deal:
the salary used for comparison is the player's previous salary, or 50% of the first-year salary in his new contract, whichever is greater. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q73

In other words, if DLee signs a deal for 10 mil a year, the number used in a sign-and-trade will be 5 mil... If Nate signs for 7 mil a year, his trade number becomes 3.5 mil.

In a Rubio deal, we would have to take back salary accordingly (no more than 125% salary of what we trade away). It's not a problem in this case, because they have plenty of expiring contracts to throw into a Rubio deal. It could get more complicated if they ask us to take a contract that goes beyond 2010...

Gotta love the ole Collective Bargaining Agreement...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We wouldn't send Chandler to Washington because we didn't think there was a chance in hell of us getting Rubio with the 5th pick, not because we didn't want Rubio. Pre-draft we thought we'd have to make a trade with OKC to get him and Walsh obviously (and correctly) didn't think that it was worth giving up Wilson Chandler to get Stephen Curry. If they'd had known before the draft that Rubio was going to fall to #5 you can bet that Walsh would've pulled the trigger on the trade with the Wizards already.

Of course that's all because I don't buy the "we wanted Curry more than Rubio" rumors, that's silly because Curry is an undersized PG who can't play defense whereas Rubio is a good size for a PG who plays defense and has court vision that's unparalleled amongst his draft class, but hey what the hell do I know.

So we'd have to take on 8.5 million dollars of salary, is that it? It'd probably involve Etan Thomas or Brian Cardinal...who cares, they're expiring contracts anyway.