Jordan Hill = Taller Balkman!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Ok, so I was watching this workout Film of Hill on NBA Draft Express http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTakBgkoQEU after we drafted him, and I couldnt help but notice how familar he moved with the ball. I knew it wasnt Amare (sorry Phil Webb!) the unorthodox/akwardness but yet somehow controlled style of play looked very familar.

At first I thought Brian Grant....and that seemed to stick until I watched the video some more and read his scouting report, and realized this dude is Balkman minus the ball handling and the Hustle, but plus some size and a J!

To Hill's credit, I always thought Balk was just a few iches short from being a real impact type player. To me Balk was not a SF, but too small to be a PF. Now lets look at some of Hill's strengts and see if they don't apply to Balk

<TABLE class=bluelist width=175 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">Likes to mix it up inside</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Off-ball movement</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Makes quick moves in the post</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Turnaround jumper</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to contest shots</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Activity level</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Lateral quickness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Shot-blocking tools</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Competitiveness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Physical Toughness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Potential</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Only playing basketball for few years</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to finish around basket</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Ability to run the floor</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Athleticism</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Explosiveness</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Solid frame</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Wingspan</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Defensive rebounding</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Offensive rebounding</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Rebounding tools</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A lot of similarities in that regard! Now lets look at their weaknesses

<TABLE class=bluelist width=175 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">All-around offensive polish</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Decision making</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Advanced post moves</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Left hand</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Questionable hands</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Defensive fundamentals</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Foul prone</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Man to man defense</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Average basketball IQ</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Older than class peers</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Passing skills</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Free throw shooting</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">- Inconsistent shooter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ok, so is this a good thing or a bad thing? I say really good! Again Balkman is an undersized PF, give him tha bulk (no pun intended) and height of Hill and you are talking about a legit PF. Hopefully Hill will have Balk's heart! I can't wait for the Summer League.

jordan.hill.jpg
sports064.jpg

smokes

Huge Member
When I saw the title I thought this was gonna be another hate thread but yeah it's true. I can only come to the same conclusion that if he brings the same level of intensity/energy as Balkman with his size and skillset he can certainly be an exciting player for the Knicks.

New New York

Quiet Storm
When I saw the title I thought this was gonna be another hate thread but yeah it's true. I can only come to the same conclusion that if he brings the same level of intensity/energy as Balkman with his size and skillset he can certainly be an exciting player for the Knicks.

No Hate Here!...at least until he tanks a couple of games that is! No just playin

I don't know, I was one of the people who booed this kid Thursday, but, he may turn out to be a nice player for us.

Paul1355

All Star
Ok, so I was watching this workout Film of Hill on NBA Draft Express http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTakBgkoQEU after we drafted him, and I couldnt help but notice how familar he moved with the ball. I knew it wasnt Amare (sorry Phil Webb!) the unorthodox/akwardness but yet somehow controlled style of play looked very familar.

At first I thought Brian Grant....and that seemed to stick until I watched the video some more and read his scouting report, and realized this dude is Balkman minus the ball handling and the Hustle, but plus some size and a J!

To Hill's credit, I always thought Balk was just a few iches short from being a real impact type player. To me Balk was not a SF, but too small to be a PF. Now lets look at some of Hill's strengts and see if they don't apply to Balk

<table class="bluelist" itxtvisited="1" width="175"><tbody itxtvisited="1"><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">Likes to mix it up inside</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Off-ball movement</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Makes quick moves in the post</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Turnaround jumper</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Ability to contest shots</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Activity level</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Lateral quickness</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Shot-blocking tools</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Competitiveness</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Physical Toughness</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Potential</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Only playing basketball for few years</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Ability to finish around basket</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Ability to run the floor</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Athleticism</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Explosiveness</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Solid frame</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Wingspan</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Defensive rebounding</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Offensive rebounding</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Rebounding tools</td></tr></tbody></table>

A lot of similarities in that regard! Now lets look at their weaknesses

<table class="bluelist" itxtvisited="1" width="175"><tbody itxtvisited="1"><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">All-around offensive polish</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Decision making</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Advanced post moves</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Left hand</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Questionable hands</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Defensive fundamentals</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Foul prone</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Man to man defense</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Average basketball IQ</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Older than class peers</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Passing skills</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Free throw shooting</td></tr><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1">- Inconsistent shooter</td></tr></tbody></table>

Ok, so is this a good thing or a bad thing? I say really good! Again Balkman is an undersized PF, give him tha bulk (no pun intended) and height of Hill and you are talking about a legit PF. Hopefully Hill will have Balk's heart! I can't wait for the Summer League.

jordan.hill.jpg
sports064.jpg

HELL NO man i would hate it if he was like Balkman in any way and I dont think he is at all. The stuff you bolded can be applied to any atheltic big man and balkman never had and still does not have an all around offensive polish, which is one of the things you bolded.

Just because they both have long braided hair and athletic doesn't mean they are the same.lol

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
ehh not really, hill finishes much better then balkman around the rim, balkman missed a lot of layups

metrocard

Legend
This is a great thread...you gotta really hate when lames come here and say one thing they don't have in common.

They got more things in common than they got differences.

I see Hill as a tall Balkman with offense.

Which is almost the complete player.

Hill just needs to work on his passing.

Toons

is the Bo$$
This is a great thread...you gotta really hate when lames come here and say one thing they don't have in common.

They got more things in common than they got differences.

I see Hill as a tall Balkman with offense.

Which is almost the complete player.

Hill just needs to work on his passing.

Do you expect to live in a perfect world where no1 disagrees with you? the whole point is to have different views. The people who like balkman obviously would love the comparison. Me on the other hand hate it. Yeah he has locks and he's black....what else do they have in common? Metro, once again, stop being a little bitch, ur not the overseer to make sure everyones posts are to your liking. Stop stalkin cats online just to disagree with them, u gat sum real feminine traits homeboy....you need to get that fixed.

Toons

is the Bo$$
I said a long time ago, balkman wont be anything special in this league. To compare hill to balkman is an insult. can someone look up balkmans averages for me?

smokes

Huge Member
Do you expect to live in a perfect world where no1 disagrees with you? the whole point is to have different views. The people who like balkman obviously would love the comparison. Me on the other hand hate it. Yeah he has locks and he's black....what else do they have in common? Metro, once again, stop being a little bitch, ur not the overseer to make sure everyones posts are to your liking. Stop stalkin cats online just to disagree with them, u gat sum real feminine traits homeboy....you need to get that fixed.

Why don't you look at the list in the first post and then ask what else they have in common :confused:

metrocard

Legend

Damn...Balkman left some damage on you.
I don't know what he did to you, but I'll just leave it alone because you seem really hurt about it.

Toons, NNY showed you what they have in common.
This is why I picked on sensitive dudes on you with complexes who hate on superior motha****as like I.

You come in threads and say some dumb ass shit that makes no sense w/o explainable. NNY make an interesting thread, why hate on the dude? I do the same thing and no one could reply in a mature logical manner. Everyone seems to take offense and not make any sense.

Its not about agreeing or disagreeing.
Its about making sense.

You're been the sites biggest Crawfulsexual, but kept on the D/L after all the ass kickings I gave you to discipline your punk ass how to be humble.

You're coming out the closet again? Silly bottyboy.

Balkman is a high energy double double machine(averages 10 and 10 per 36 minutes)

Balkman is an excellent help defender(almost 1.5 stl 1.5 blk per 36 minutes)

Balkman could of been our Xavier McDaniel...Dennis Rodman type.

Where as a dude like Crawford the worst at defense in his position...just like you the worst at logic...share a lot in common, quiet sensitive dudes.

Balkman > Crawford, always been that way.

Balkman was part of the winning formula with Lee and Collins.

Crawford brought losing everywhere he WENT.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I said a long time ago, balkman wont be anything special in this league. To compare hill to balkman is an insult. can someone look up balkmans averages for me?

What's up Toons!

Look, I don't view it at all as an insult to compare Hill to Balkman. I think Balkman's lack of production can be attributed to the fact that he is undersized!

Balkman is listed about 6-8 (kinda generous) and that is one reason he just wont make an impact (hence the low stat numbers you spoke of). Not to mention his skinny frame (while still pretty strong) is why he still would get thrown around in the post if put at the PF position full-time.

Now give Balkman size and strength and you are talking about a good player.

Another point I need to make is that I'm not saying all Hill will ever be is a taller version of Balkman! He can evolve into much more than that, but I think right now that is what we have, and it is far from an insult!

Give me a bigger stronger Balkman over any player we have had on our frontcourt sice Camby got traded! :thumbsup:

New New York

Quiet Storm
HELL NO man i would hate it if he was like Balkman in any way and I dont think he is at all. The stuff you bolded can be applied to any atheltic big man and balkman never had and still does not have an all around offensive polish, which is one of the things you bolded.

Just because they both have long braided hair and athletic doesn't mean they are the same.lol

LOL! You are right what is bolded can be applied to any athletic big man. But how ambitous/nieve would it look if I used say Dwight Howard or even Al Hortford to compare him to, Who's strengths and weakeness are pretty similar to Hill's too!

More then the dreads, they do have a lot in common and the comparison was made between a current Knick player and a past Knick player to put perspective on a player that in all actuality none of us has seen play more than once, if even that! We are all familar with Balkman's game

Oh and yes they both have dreads, lol!

Not to mention I never said they were "the same", there are no two players in the leauge who are the same. You cant take any Sports comparison literally. I mean is Lebron an exact replica of Oscar Robertson or a bigger stronger version of!?

The Balkman example is not a insult, Balkman would've have been much better had he been a little bit bigger. Add some size and strength to a player (see Lebron example above) and it is an improvement in just about any sport!

Thanks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Great News about the new regime

I had thought that this was one of the Knick Forums that 95% of the members agreed to selecting "Jordan Hill" if he was still their at the 8th selection. But wrong Knick Forum!

Jordan Hill is NBA-Ready just like Balkman (the strength to adore NBA physical contact in his rookie season).
Hill is a double-double player in his 2nd season in the NBA.
Balkman is a double-double player and sum his 2nd season with Denver.
Hill is very dangerous in a run n gun transition game for the put back.
Balkman is faster and a rebounding dribbling passer that starts a transition run.

Jordan Hill is a natural "Tazman" PF in the NBA that will challenge Blake Griffin and Tyler Hansborough for the best complete PF in his rookie season.

Balkman is a complete point-foward like Trevor Ariza without and outside peremeter game, their handle is amazing but Balkman passing off the dribble is two steps ahead of Ariza.

The comparrisons are familar in different positions in the paint.
The Knicks lost money in the Balkman trade which no one has yet to talk about in this forum by buying out the players traded for Balkman. And then had the nerve to trade for Patrick Ewing Jr. whom any position you put him in Balkman could perform 100 times better.

P.S. Balkman was not a PF however, he played the PF position 10 times better than Chandler, Harrington, and Tim Thomas, to where David Lee would've had alot of 15 to 20 rebound games plus Balkman energy on defense would've had other teammates playing defense.
So why was Balkman traded "after" they found out that Gallo had a chronic back injury??????????????????????????????

portega1968

El Cacique
until Kiya weighs in on how Hill comapres to his Tazman, the jury is still out on this comparison

edit: as soon as I posted the comment, the above post appeared... so, now the thread is complete

Toons

is the Bo$$
Damn...Balkman left some damage on you.
I don't know what he did to you, but I'll just leave it alone because you seem really hurt about it.

Toons, NNY showed you what they have in common.
This is why I picked on sensitive dudes on you with complexes who hate on superior motha****as like I.

You come in threads and say some dumb ass shit that makes no sense w/o explainable. NNY make an interesting thread, why hate on the dude? I do the same thing and no one could reply in a mature logical manner. Everyone seems to take offense and not make any sense.

Its not about agreeing or disagreeing.
Its about making sense.

You're been the sites biggest Crawfulsexual, but kept on the D/L after all the ass kickings I gave you to discipline your punk ass how to be humble.

You're coming out the closet again? Silly bottyboy.

Balkman is a high energy double double machine(averages 10 and 10 per 36 minutes)

Balkman is an excellent help defender(almost 1.5 stl 1.5 blk per 36 minutes)

Balkman could of been our Xavier McDaniel...Dennis Rodman type.

Where as a dude like Crawford the worst at defense in his position...just like you the worst at logic...share a lot in common, quiet sensitive dudes.

Balkman > Crawford, always been that way.

Balkman was part of the winning formula with Lee and Collins.

Crawford brought losing everywhere he WENT.

Ok. Obviously you have a complex that you cant get over. I said it b4 and ill say it again, i pull for knicks. If ur in a knicks jersey, and ur on the floor, i want you to do the best you can to bring us a win. Hell i wish eddy curry can come back and do some damage. I am a knickssexual.
You kicked my ass? lmaooo....pleeease show me the post when you did that! all you did was state the obvious, crawford is streaky, thin, and does not play defense.

Balkman is a high energy double double machine? hahahahhahaha
GET YA PUNK ASS DICK RIDING PER 35 MIN STATS OUTTA HERE....
they are meaningless unless the player is good enough to actually earn 36 minutes

balkman is a better defender than crawford, crawford is better offensively...craweford will never be a good defender, balkman will never hit 2 tree pointers in one game. whats ur point? u really try to get stripes by saying obvious shit, googling your life away with stats.....do u even have a real life other than ko,.com?

Kiyaman

Legend
until Kiya weighs in on how Hill comapres to his Tazman, the jury is still out on this comparison

edit: as soon as I posted the comment, the above post appeared... so, now the thread is complete

The "jury" is out on all the players selected in this draft.
I actually see some 2nd rounders fitting best with the teams that drafted them then I see alot of first round picks and the team that drafted them.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Okay... so Jordan Hill is a "taller Balkman," "like Brian Grant" and "like Etan Thomas," why exactly? Because they all have braids and are light-skinned Black men?

You say he's Balkman with less hustle (the essential component of Balkman's game) and a jumpshot (something completely absent from Balkman's game), which makes him, when it comes to actual logic, a totally different player.

What are the actual similarities, when the two main characteristics of Balkman's game: hustle and lack of a jumper, are different from Hill's? Oh... I guess it's that they play basketball, are Black, have braids and facial hair.

This thread is nonsense and is another example of closet racist KO members.

And go ahead and give me some more negative rep. I already have about 15, since joining this site. I love the hate, it lets me know that I rule your world.

Last edited: