Knicks make offer to Lee (4yrs/$32million) and are targetting Grant Hill???

metrocard

Legend
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b.../07/01/2009-07-01_kidds_midnight_madness.html

A team source claims the Knicks will offer Lee a four-year deal worth $32 million, which is below his asking price of $10 million per season. The Knicks have the right to match any offer given to Lee, as well as Robinson, but the club wants to remain fiscally responsible as it pertains to the summer of 2010.

"There's no question he'd love to stay in New York," Lee's agent, Mark Bartelstein said yesterday. "But you are only a free agent so many times in our career, especially in the prime of your career."

Robinson could stick around if he were to accept the Knicks' $2.9 million qualifying offer. The Knicks also have the option of working out a sign-and-trade with either Lee or Robinson.

If Walsh can't land Kidd, the Knicks would pursue Milwaukee restricted free agent guard Ramon Sessions, who once played summer ball in South Carolina for Knicks assistant coach Dan D'Antoni.

The Knicks, according to a source, also intend to talk to Suns free agent Grant Hill. However, Phoenix is looking to re-sign Hill, who has expressed an interest in returning to the club.

Obviously Knicks don't want to overspend on Lee.
Its the right thing to do.

Teams should stop overspending on free agents...with how the economy is, the NBA is going to kill itself with all these bad contracts. Rashard Lewis is not worth what he's making. Being a spot up shooter shouldn't make you that much money.

Lee for a cheap price would be ideal.
He has been the best Knick for the last two seasons.

and about Grant Hill.

I love him as a player, but I don't want a declining Grant Hill getting big minutes.

He would be the perfect back up SF to guide Gallinari into greatness.

metrocard

Legend
and if OKC/Memphis does offer them a crazy deal and Lee accepts, **** both of them.

****ing David Lee screwed us out of getting OJ Mayo.

Ewing

Benchwarmer
I agree, Grant Hill would be great to tutor Gallo and would be a great group leader.
About Lee, 10million is too much for him, he's not an all-star player so why the hell is he asking for that much? 5million would be the maximum that I'd give for him.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Agreed that overspending on Lee is foolish, honestly 8 million per is a little steep for me for a PF who is a defensive liability.

I don't get the Grant Hill interest. Like Metro mention Hill's number is on the decline, and we already have a log jam at the SF with Chandler, Gallo, and Harrington possibly battling for minutes.

metrocard

Legend
Grant can play SG...maybe this could mean Chandler is really on the trade block.

Damn...that would be SO SICK.

Hill is one of my favorite players from the 90's

But I said the same thing about Penny...eh, I need to look at this LOGICALLY.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Can Hill still play? I mean if he is cheap and can mentor Gallo and Chandler I am ok with it but if we are acquiring him in the hopes he can contribute to a winning formula with playing time I would have to be against it. As for not over paying Lee..thank god! If Isiah was still running shit, Lee would have been offered a max contract because of last years double double stats...guaranteed!

Ewing

Benchwarmer
I think Grant Hill is better now than he was before, at least talking about his condition.
Have in mind that last season he played all 82 games, first time in his career, and he still averaged 30minutes per game with 12pts and 5 rebounds.
Not bad for a 36 year-old guy.

Kiyaman

Legend
Your missing the big picture

We are forced to give Eddy Curry alot of playingtime in the 2009-10 season.
So far we only seen Eddy Curry play decent with Tyson Chandler and David Lee.

This is real real bad for the Knicks future growth as a decent winning team while rebuilding the next 3 seasons (letting David Lee go to the next team).

Alot of members wondered why I was so angry & upset last offseason when we made no trades on draft night or through the offseason, and refuse to extend the contracts of the two most wanted players asked for in trades on the team.
We draft a great product with our 8th pick on draft night (6.10 Jordan Hill) inwhich a player like David Lee work-ethics at C/F would help him to become a contributor player to the team after his rookie season, rather than wait 3 to 4 season for 6.10 Hill to get familar to the NBA level of B-Ball (by guessing his every oponent).

Should Denver trade Billups this offseason after getting the best PG in the NCAA?

Should G.S. trade combo-Ellis after getting the best combo-Curry in the ACC?

Do any Knick-Fan think that the Clippers Dunleavy should trade 20-10 stat performance Zach Randolph this season before letting rookie Blake Griffin see how Zach gets his 20-10 stats each game vs all the NBA oponents?

dre48ny

Rotation player
I think that is a decent contract offer. He deserves that money, we've shelled out some stupid money before. This guy deserves it. I wouldn't mind that deal.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Lee's Contract Offer

Lee could be between a rock and a hard place.

He wants to stay in New York and his model girlfriend wants him to stay in New York.

An NBA Player contract cannot include a No Trade Provision. As a result, if Lee gives the Knicks a home town discount and rejects a better offer from another team, he risks a trade to any team at all.

Eight million a year, probably back-loaded as much as the CBA will permit, is a decent amount. The Knicks willingness to extend such an offer could mean that if Lee goes somewhere else, we could offer something reasonable to Sessions.

But adding $7M or so toward the 2010 cap without first dealing with the Curry and Jeffries contracts could cause some problems to the 2010 plan.

metrocard

Legend
I think that is a decent contract offer. He deserves that money, we've shelled out some stupid money before. This guy deserves it. I wouldn't mind that deal.

Yea...Keeping Lee wouldn't hurt us. Who's going to make outlet passes, dominate the boards, shoot 60% FG/80% FT + 16 ppg at the PF position? No one on this roster and no one in the FA market.

Lee

Great point, yes it would be nice to have Bosh, but lee will do the dirty work, now we should Sign Lee and ramon session and even Nate. all 3 would equal Bosh salary next yr.

CoolClyde

Final Lee!

8Million a year is fair. DLee is getting better year after year; with at least a couple centers coming to town (Darko, Hill, Gortat?), DLee can play his true PF position, and show his hustle to the new guys. Let's hope the allure of NYC, his model galfriend and 32M over 4 years is enough to keep the man in town. Stay Blue and Orange, Dave!

Grant Hill, isn't he close to being over the hill? :) dunno 'bout that...
2 Hills are better than one? If we're going the veteran route, let's go after T-Mac (for Curry) and Nash.

Either way, I'm happy DWalsh made the offer to DLee. :crossfingers:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i actually want Ramon Sessions he is a good player and young. dude had a 20 assist game playing for the bucks, and they arent that good. now put him in this system and he could get assists and he has the speed to get to the rim. he'd be a huge upgrade over duhon and he's young so he could be our starter for years..................go get em walsh

nyk_nyk

All Star
Grant can play SG...maybe this could mean Chandler is really on the trade block.

Damn...that would be SO SICK.

Hill is one of my favorite players from the 90's

But I said the same thing about Penny...eh, I need to look at this LOGICALLY.

Grant may be able to play SG but no thank you, i'll pass. You DO NOT trade a young talent like Chandler and replace him with a guy pushing 40. Makes no damn sense... you see what happened to Cuban when he did the Kidd for Harris deal. I would hate to think Walsh is that stupid.

NYKnicks15

Starter
word is OKC is going to offer a lucrative contract to.. Paul Millsap NOT David Lee. And Detroit is offering one to Gordon and VILLENUEVA.. Blazers are throwin money at Hedo.. so that leaves Memphis.. why are other execs backing off Lee? because it is known that Lee wants to remain with the Knicks plain and simple. ALSO we offered Lee 8 million a year salary. Thats only two mill less than Memphis.

Now it seems like two million is a lot less and Lee will most likely go to Memphis BUT put it in perspective. 2 million less to stay with the Knicks who he loves. 2 million less to stay here and probably get 10 times that different amount in endorsements. and 2 million less to play with Bosh and LeBron in 2010. i dont know about you.. but id prob take the 2 million less. Who wants to play in Memphis anyway?!

is it gonna happen where he stays with us? not 100 percent. BUT if the proposed trade of Mobley/Curry for TMac happens.. we might throw Lee a little extra money and itll all work out in the end.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
word is OKC is going to offer a lucrative contract to.. Paul Millsap NOT David Lee. And Detroit is offering one to Gordon and VILLENUEVA.. Blazers are throwin money at Hedo.. so that leaves Memphis.. why are other execs backing off Lee? because it is known that Lee wants to remain with the Knicks plain and simple. ALSO we offered Lee 8 million a year salary. Thats only two mill less than Memphis.

Now it seems like two million is a lot less and Lee will most likely go to Memphis BUT put it in perspective. 2 million less to stay with the Knicks who he loves. 2 million less to stay here and probably get 10 times that different amount in endorsements. and 2 million less to play with Bosh and LeBron in 2010. i dont know about you.. but id prob take the 2 million less. Who wants to play in Memphis anyway?!

is it gonna happen where he stays with us? not 100 percent. BUT if the proposed trade of Mobley/Curry for TMac happens.. we might throw Lee a little extra money and itll all work out in the end.

The offer from Memphis to Lee is just a rumor so far but if it will be true you still made it sound like it's only about couple million dollars.

The difference beteewn 32mill/4years(knicks) and 50mill/5 years(memphis) is about 18 millions if your math is right. That's some coin to leave on the table.

NYKnicks15

Starter
yeah thanks man, i know how to add...
and its 2 million a year to do all those things and probably have a great chance to win a championship in two years. and endorsements that would surpass the 18 milllion IN TOTAL he is losing.

and its not a rumor. its just not an official offer. now the owner of the Grizzlies is NIXING the offer

mafra

Legend
i actually want Ramon Sessions he is a good player and young. dude had a 20 assist game playing for the bucks, and they arent that good. now put him in this system and he could get assists and he has the speed to get to the rim. he'd be a huge upgrade over duhon and he's young so he could be our starter for years..................go get em walsh

I would take Sessions & Gortat over Kidd & Hill.... for sure. However, the Yao situation just upped the price for Marcin.... He'll probably sign the max MLE in HOU.... ODD? Couldn;t we offer the same? NY & D'ant should be more attractive, no?

Kidd has nothing left. Why bother? Another questionable DW move. Just go after Sessions or swing a deal for Sergio.

Kidd + Hill = what exactly? Is this the over 35 league?

OffDutyNJ

Rookie
this might be a stupid question but could we sign Lee for 1yr and give him the 10mil then after the big names come in we can sign our own players to whatever we want...
did that make sense?