Kidd Resigns with DAL (Phew!)

mafra

Legend
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4307928

Jason Kidd has given the Dallas Mavericks a verbal commitment that he will re-sign with the team Wednesday, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Kidd, 36, will receive a 3-year, fully-guaranteed contract worth in excess of $25 million.

Kidd elected to stay in Dallas in the face of a hard push from the New York Knicks, who last week offered Kidd the most they could ($19 million over three years).

Signing Kidd for more than one season would have impacted the Knicks' efforts to amass substantial salary cap space for the summer of 2010, and they're expected to woo Cleveland's LeBron James and at least one other top free agent.

In that scenario, pressure on Knicks president Donnie Walsh to trade either Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries -- or both -- would have increased significantly, but sources say that Walsh and Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni felt that acquiring Kidd would have been worth such hassles because of their confidence in Kidd's ability to change the Knicks' culture.

Kidd's interest in returning to the Atlantic Division was mutual, but the Mavericks were always considered favorites to re-sign him because they could comfortably exceed the Knicks' max offer of three years at the projected mid-level exception of $5.8 million per year.

Although Kidd initially sent signals that he planned to take the full holiday weekend before making a decision, Dallas began inching closer to a deal on Friday when Kidd and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban met at Cuban's house.
Wednesday is the first day teams can formally sign free agents to new contracts after the NBA announces the salary cap and luxury tax figures for the 2009-10 season.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

jpz17

Starter
phew?? I'm ashamed at you guys. You know Donnie was offering 2 mil a season right? for 3 years...

(1.7 actually)

Kidd is a veteran point who could help Nate turn to a point guard and Douglas develop a lot better.

He could teach these loser how to win. They need a big vet guy like this.

mafra

Legend
phew?? I'm ashamed at you guys. You know Donnie was offering 2 mil a season right? for 3 years...

(1.7 actually)

Kidd is a veteran point who could help Nate turn to a point guard and Douglas develop a lot better.

He could teach these loser how to win. They need a big vet guy like this.

NYK offered the max MLE, 19 mil.... unless my math is off, that is over 6 mil a year?

I wouldn't mind if he came to play; but I do thik there are better options out there.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
So basically, Mark Cuban did not want to pay a 30-year old Steve nash in 04, but he wants to pay a 36 year old kidd that kind of money? Wow...

dpryde

Benchwarmer
So basically, Mark Cuban did not want to pay a 30-year old Steve nash in 04, but he wants to pay a 36 year old kidd that kind of money? Wow...

dont forget, he and the whole basketball world knows he screwed up on devin harris. he doesnt want to lose kidd for nothing knowing that harris is flourishing in nj. and plus nash demanded like 10 mill per year back then, nor was he as highly touted as he is know (thanks to mike d'antoni)

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
dont forget, he and the whole basketball world knows he screwed up on devin harris. he doesnt want to lose kidd for nothing knowing that harris is flourishing in nj. and plus nash demanded like 10 mill per year back then, nor was he as highly touted as he is know (thanks to mike d'antoni)

theyre paying kidd around 8-9mil....

and dallas nash is better then current kidd....

Nash, Terry, Howard, Dirk, Dampier would have won a title in 06.

dpryde

Benchwarmer
theyre paying kidd aroune 8-9mil....

and dallas nash is better then current kidd....

Nash, Terry, Howard, Dirk, Dampier would have won a title in 06.

nah it wouldnt have, getting rid of nash improved their defense vastly. thats the reason they got that far, defense. i think they wuda lost to the spurs in the conference finals if they had nash.

mafra

Legend
Let's not forget NBA changed it's rules when Nash left for PHO... They really buckled down on the hand check, and that helped a free flower like Nash run around the court with little physical resistance.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Let's not forget NBA changed it's rules when Nash left for PHO... They really buckled down on the hand check, and that helped a free flower like Nash run around the court with little physical resistance.

was devin harris the starter PG for dallas that season? i dont remember.

mafra

Legend
was devin harris the starter PG for dallas that season? i dont remember.

Nope. They drafted Harris after Nash left (I think the other pG with Nash was Travis Best).... They might have felt Dan Dickau & Terry, along with the rookie Harris were suitable? Who knows. I bet he thought Nash was washed up.... Maybe he never would have been NASH.... maybe D'ant's system really did help?

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
thank god

we did not need an aging guard running the point for us.

kidd in his declining state was not attracting anyone here. i dont care what knicks management thought. he wasnt gonna be here on the cheap neither.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Killed 2 birds with one stone....
dallas is the front runner for gortat...the wanted to give him the mle

one step closer to grotat

LeFlume

All Star
Well F those Cowboy wannabes. Dallas will never be a powerhouse again. They blew it against Miami and they will never get any closer. Do I hear Sacramento Kings light anyone? From top to bottom of the barrel in 3 years...

jpz17

Starter
it is not about how Kidd plays. It is about him teaching these scrubs how to play real ball, and how to win.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
WOW @ knicks even makin an offer, :barf:

HELLO walsh u have nate who can do everythin kidd can do but 10x better, give him the privilege to do so and guide him, thats what coaches are for

continuin to have him come off bench wont improve anythin, wastin everybodies time

puke