Toronto setting up for Lee

jpz17

Starter
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4314637

Marion to Dallas, Stackhouse to Memphis, Draft pick to Toronto

The Dallas Mavericks and Toronto Raptors on Wednesday night moved to the brink of completing a sign-and-trade deal after successfully recruiting the Memphis Grizzlies to help complete a three-team transaction that will send Marion to Dallas, according to NBA front-office sources.

NBA Rumor Central

insider_logo.gif
ESPN Insider has the updated buzz from the National Basketball Association rumor mill.
Story
in.gif

Sources told ESPN.com that the trade will also send Jerry Stackhouse to the Grizzlies, with one source close to the process saying that a trade call with the league office to formalize the deal has been planned for Thursday, indicating that all sides have agreed in principle.
After strong signals the deal would expand to include a fourth team -- with sources telling ESPN.com that the Mavericks called several teams Wednesday trying to recruit an additional trade partner -- sources have confirmed that the deal will only involve three teams.
"The deal changed," a source said.
The known parameters of the deal call for Marion to receive a five-year contract in the region of $40 million from the Mavericks and land Stackhouse in Memphis, where he will be bought out by the Grizzlies -- with cash furnished by Dallas -- for $2 million by Aug. 10. Toronto will receive unspecified draft considerations and/or cash.
Sources said Dallas was close to pulling in a fourth team to join in after the Mavericks and Raptors successfully recruited Memphis to participate and take on Stackhouse's contract, thereby ensuring that Toronto could help Marion find a new home without endangering the cap space needed to sign Hedo Turkoglu away from Orlando later this week.
Although Raptors president Bryan Colangelo drafted Marion in Phoenix in 1999 and wants to help the former All-Star if he can, sources say Toronto is only interested in taking back draft considerations and/or cash to avoid getting in the way of its Turkoglu signing. In the midst of negotiations with Marion on a four-year contract believed to be worth $36 million late last week, Toronto managed to change Turkoglu's mind at the 11th hour and convince its No. 1 free-agent target to come to Canada for a five-year deal in excess of $50 million instead of signing with the Portland Trail Blazers.
The main thrust of the deal is Dallas landing Marion at what would be considered a favorable price and Marion getting a contract that starts slightly higher than the mid-level exception.
Dallas is hoping that the combination of Marion and Orlando restricted free agent Marcin Gortat -- along with the re-signing of Jason Kidd -- would greatly improve the depth and flexibility possessed by a team that won 50 games last season and advanced to the second round of the playoffs before losing to Denver.
Mavs owner Mark Cuban has said for months that he was prepared to be as aggressive as possible this summer as opposed to waiting for the free-agent bonanza of 2010, when Dallas was initially expected to have substantial cap space. Orlando retains the right to match any offer sheet to Gortat but the Magic are widely expected not to match.
Sources say that the Mavericks, meanwhile, are determined to keep Josh Howard even if a trade for Marion can be worked out, with Howard entering the final year of his contract. One potential drawback for Dallas is the fact that Marion would be yet another key member of their core over the age of 30, joining Nowitzki (31), Kidd (36), Jason Terry (31) and Howard (who turns 30 next April).
Marion earned $17.8 million last season and was traded for the second straight February when Miami sent him to Toronto in a swap for Jermaine O'Neal. He went from Phoenix to Miami one year earlier in the Shaquille O'Neal trade.
The Raptors were intent on re-signing Marion if they couldn't win the Turkoglu sweepstakes, seeing late-season signs of promise in Marion's collaboration alongside Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani. Sources say that the Cleveland Cavaliers, despite their recent pursuits of Trevor Ariza and Ron Artest and a well-chronicled need for a combo forward, are not making a hard push for Marion.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I assume this gives Toronto the room...wait, does it?

I thought they used up their cap room when they signed Hedo Turkoglu, how does this help them get ready for David Lee unless it's via Sign and Trade?

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
This makes no sense. Where is lee mentioned at all here?
And TOR has no room because they have Turk. i'm pretty sure they are close to paying luxury tax....

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Unless those pipe dream-esque deals like Harrington + Lee for Bosh are actually close to coming true, or something like that...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
?
How does this specifically mean they're after Lee? Why would they bother after signing Turkoglu? And why would Lee choose Toronto over NY? He'd be straight on the bench with less production behind a better PF in Canada.

Looks like we'll be retaining his services IMO.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The MLE, enough to get David Lee?

I doubt it. Lee's not leaving NY unless he gets a 10 million dollar offer and honestly no team is dumb enough to give 10 million dollars a year to someone who's that bad of a defender

mafra

Legend
Wouldn't ORLANDO be the team to fear now? According to an article on ESPN:

"The Magic, meanwhile, were motivated to join in the trade because their participation, as opposed to merely letting Turkoglu walk, will create a valuable trade exception (worth about $7 million) that they can use in future deals."

If they lose Gortat, wouldn't Lee fit perfectly with Howard?

smokes

Huge Member
Magic got Brandon Bass.

Portland are going after Millsap/Boozer.

DLee ain't getting no money!

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Lee should just take the 2.9 million qualifying offer and then become an unrestricted free agent next season by showing improvements in the defensive end. There isn't a market for him at this time with all the teams that had money in cap space going after their guy, and Lee not even getting an offer sheet. Even Varejao got a 5/50 deal with the Cavs which is ridiculous. What is Danny Ferry doing? Just when you thought that the Erik
Dampier contracts where out the picture this happens. Only in the NBA...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I saw that Verajoa signing. It might have been requested by James? I know they're good mates etc. Maybe LBJ lent him a hand by getting him the cash? Either that or Ferry's taking a wild swing at keeping players James likes?

If not, that $10m per is gonna hurt at offering time next off-season for the Cavs, and we will be loving it. Maybe. I'm ****ing sick of maybes.

Last edited:

paris401

Starter
i don't understand what happened to the market for lee... here is a guy that has an outstanding 5ft jump shot, plays "D" like tony soprano just fitted him with cement shoes, and not an offer... very strange...