Jordan Hill after 2 Games

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well its only two games into Summer League, but here are somethings that I like and do not like about our number 8 pick

Dislikes
Not a shotblocker
goes to the jumper a little too often
average defender (Austin Daye got whatever he wanted against him)
Average FT shooter (but has a nice touch)
Needs to get stronger
Has not shown the "explosiveness" nor the ability to run the floor that was talked about upon drafting him

Now to end on positive note

Hustle player
Rebounding
Poise (Especially after a tough first half of his first game)
Looked good against a much taller Thabeet
Nice passer
Will try to block shots
Can finish around the basket
reads defense well (against Summer League comp.)
Higher Basketball IQ. than he was giving credit for in his Pre Draft report

Hill wont be a rookie of the year canidate, which I do not mind, because I think it is better that we bring him along slow. I predict he averages 7 pts and like 4 rebs this year, and will get better each season.

Dead the Amare comparisons for now, but could be accurate down the road

85539099_8.jpg

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Hill wont be a rookie of the year canidate, which I do not mind, because I think it is better that we bring him along slow. I predict he averages 7 pts and like 4 rebs this year, and will get better each season.

Dead the Amare comparisons for now, but could be accurate down the road

Nice post. I agree about the stats you predicted. He's a "project". We knew that when we drafted him.

He'll come off the bench this year but hopefully can get significant minutes by the end of the season. I have my doubts though. I just don't see anything special coming out of this kid. Just my opinion. Definitely not Amare.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm glad he is not Amare.....I want Hill's hustling performance to be more like a Boozer or Bosh his rookie season.
By the way Blake & Blair look to be the sure shot for ROY.

Jordan Hill looks to be learning the ropes all by himself.....what's all the name's on our coaching-staff???

Blake Griffin have Camby & Kaman to teach him the ropes b/c Dunleavy have a poor coaching-staff.

Dejuan Blair have Duncan & Jefferson and the best bigman coaching staff in the NBA to teach him the ropes.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Hill was very rusty, his timing was way off so lets wait till the season to judge him. I liked that he went out of his way to get to loose rebounds and balls and even though he didn't block many shoots he did altered a lot of inside shots. I really like his hustle and by that he gets my respects and will root for the kid to get better and better by season's end. He has tons of potential and will the playing time to get through them. I'll say he averages pg 9 rb 8 blk 1 and would be very happy. He won't be an Amare but will be a Nene Hilario type of PF. We need his toughness as we let Lee go who never provided it.

shaolin15

Rookie

You were sayin bout his explosiveness and ability to run the court. Jordan and Phil were both sayin he is out of shape and will begin to run soon.

clumsy

Rotation player
One very bad sign in the things you just said (tho i don't take summer league all that serious).

If he has a nice stroke and isn't a good FT shooter, most likely he's not going to get any better. Normally cats who had poor mechanics but can hit shots at times get WAY better once the mechanics are fixed. Not the case with people with good form.

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
I don't see anything in this kid to get excited about. At best, he's going to be a slightly above average starter in a couple of years.

If we could figure out a way to take the best of Hill and combine it with the best of Lee, then we'd have somethimg. We'd have a guy that was very good around the basket, with a decent mid range jumper, good athleticism, a very good rebounder, and a threat to block some shots.

He hasn't distinguished himself in the 2 games but it's way to early to predict what he's going to be. He's shown hustle and a pretty nice touch. He also admitted that he's not in good enough shape for D'antoni's system and will need to begin running a lot before training camp.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I disagree with the notion that summerleague isn't to be taken seriously. IMO it is a good baromoter to see what type of player you drafted and how they stack up against mostly lower level talent. Players like Randolph and S. Curry have been lighting it up.

If you can dominate during summer league play, it says alot about your game during the regular season. Let's take Nate for example... last year he played SLB when he didn't even have to and DOMINATED as he should have since we know he can light up NBA defenses.

I'm just saying, if you struggle in SLB then that's not a good look. You can usually tell which guys are gonna have an impact on a team when SLB seems a lil too easy for them.

Team standings in SLB aren't important BUT player stats are. Everyone in SLB is playing their ass off to either justify their lottery standing, crack the rotation or just to make the team.

With all that said, Hill needs work and hopefully by the start of the season he's a bit more stronger and aggressive. Right now he's reminding me of a Drew Gooden type. Not bad but not great either.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I think I've gotten all positives out of the Summer League with him. Did I see his flaws? DEFINITELY. we all did.. but did I know (or everyone else for that matter) that they'd be there. YES

where he is most comfortable are his positives. the post moves, defense, strength were a different story BECAUSE he is nervous. you can tell. he is over thinking ALOT. scared when he has to do the things that he has progressed on over the years but not comfortable with. i call this a players Skill B. I always watch the summer league with no sense of strong feelings because it is the summer league and most have jitters, most of the players Skill B gets worse until a few games into it.

Now the part that worries me is his conditioning he admitted he needs to work on it before this season begins. but he really really needs to. the reason i liked him so much is because of his ability to run the floor, get the fast break dunk, alley oop or the other way block. not happening right now. not because of jitters but because of conditioning he needs to get that in check now. we dont need a Curry junior next to Curry we need a antithesis of Eddy. and thats what we drafted

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. Once he builds up his conditioning and gets in better shape, he'll improve significantly as a player. I like his mid-range game and the fact that he goes for rebounds. You can teach shooting and passing and free throw mechanics, but you can't teach hustle. We're just lucky Jordan Hill has plenty of it.

mafra

Legend
I know Walsh liked Austin Daye.... a lot. He even thought of grabbing a late-teens first rounder to try and get him.... DET took him.

DAYE SCHOOLED HILL? Ouch. That has to hurt. The 15th pick dominates the 8th pick? Looks like we got the wrong guy again. Thanks Donnie. This is what happens when you "have" to draft a guy given the spot you're drafting. Like taking Daye 8th would have been illegal.

richtree

Rotation player
I think he compliments Lee and Darko pretty well.

I agree that we still lack an interior force.

If only Eddie could get back to an NBA mindset. Curry played the last two seasons like he was on a traveling AAU squad.