After a tough breakup, Knicks look to get back with Tiny Tim

metrocard

Legend
After being released by the Chicago Bulls, New York are reportedly considering bringing back Tim Thomas for his third stint in a Knick uniform, the New York Post is reporting.

"We have interest," GM Donnie Walsh told The Post. "I'm looking into it. He played well for us [last year]. He's a pro."

Eh, we lack offense.
I cant be mad at this.

This means Chandler has to be on the trade block.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
When a team looks to improve in anyway by adding Tim Thomas you know you're team is in trouble. Yes I'm quite certain that if we get Thomas Walsh will look to trade Chandler. :barf: (your statement)

Walsh couldn't be more serious about protecting cap space in '2010: The Year of the Chosen One' (a brief pause for dramatic effect)... No deal for Lee or Nate? With out Lee who will rebound, Eddy Curry, Darko? Not sure what we should expect from this team without Lee or some rebounding machine in his place. Sorry Knicks fans, no playoffs this season. Wait til next year.

tiger0330

Legend
TT is a guy thats always puzzled me, length, athleticism, not a bad shooter, locker room guy and underrated floor leader but he never sticks except when he's on the disabled list. He got his buyout from Chi-town so he'll probably take the vets minimum for 1 year and not eat into the MLE and not affect 2010 cap space, like Walsh I would be up in the air about him.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Great. Our biggest signing this offseason may be Tim Thomas. I'm not opposed to signing him to the vet minimum for 1 year but I expected this offseason to be more active than it has.

-Haven't signed or traded Lee
-Haven't signed or traded Nate
-Offered a multi-year deal to an over the hill PG (Kidd)
-Offered a multi-year deal to a washed up SF (Hill) when we already have 3 SF's
-Made no, or very little, attempt to get Rubio

The lack of activity has got me a little worried. Will Donnie do anything?

PG-Duhon
SG-Hughes
SF-Chandler
PF-Harrington
C-Darko

w/ Douglas, Gallinari, Jeffries, Hill and Curry off the bench

Is this really going to be our lineup this year? We will be lucky to get 30 wins this year.

Why would you re-sign Tim Thomas? He's not a veteran leader (I understood Grant Hill more) and he'd take playing time away from our young guys. I'd be puzzled by this one?

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is very odd. I don't understand why Donnie wants so many forwards. I agree this could mean Chandler or someone else is being moved in a trade. Tim is a decent player and a good player when he's really focused. He's similar to Turkoglu in what he can do for his size. I guess I don't mind him on the roster for the vet minimum.

I just want to know what's really going on in that MSG executive office. It does seem like something is brewing but when and if it will ever happen is anyones guess.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Has to do with the fact that he has a terrible work ethic and no motivation. Even Ray Allen once said Tim Thomas could be the best player in the league if he wanted to (well, not anymore probably due to his age)...problem is he never actually cared enough to do that

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Great. Our biggest signing this offseason may be Tim Thomas. I'm not opposed to signing him to the vet minimum for 1 year but I expected this offseason to be more active than it has.

-Haven't signed or traded Lee
-Haven't signed or traded Nate
-Offered a multi-year deal to an over the hill PG (Kidd)
-Offered a multi-year deal to a washed up SF (Hill) when we already have 3 SF's
-Made no, or very little, attempt to get Rubio

The lack of activity has got me a little worried. Will Donnie do anything?

Thing is, what can you expect? We can't really do much this off-season cause we don't really have any good trade bait. Walsh is holding out on Lee to get him to crack (by holding out instead of signing him, Walsh is hoping to get him for like 7 mil a year which would be an absolute bargain for a player of Lee's caliber rather than pay him the 10 mil he wants) and he's holding out on Nate to see if he gets the qualifying offer.

Kidd and Hill were moves for locker room presence and not really for talent. And Walsh's hands are tied with regards to Rubio because Kahn is still being really stubborn with regards to that. Again, Walsh is holding out and waiting for Kahn to run out of options. Kahn is trying to reduce the buyout with DKV Joventut. If he can't, he may turn to his buddy Walsh for some help...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Thing is, what can you expect? We can't really do much this off-season cause we don't really have any good trade bait. Walsh is holding out on Lee to get him to crack (by holding out instead of signing him, Walsh is hoping to get him for like 7 mil a year which would be an absolute bargain for a player of Lee's caliber rather than pay him the 10 mil he wants) and he's holding out on Nate to see if he gets the qualifying offer.

Kidd and Hill were moves for locker room presence and not really for talent. And Walsh's hands are tied with regards to Rubio because Kahn is still being really stubborn with regards to that. Again, Walsh is holding out and waiting for Kahn to run out of options. Kahn is trying to reduce the buyout with DKV Joventut. If he can't, he may turn to his buddy Walsh for some help...

I hear you. I'm probably being too impatient. But I do think we have some valuable trading pieces. Chandler, Harrington, Mobley's contract, Lee sign and trade, and Nate sign and trade (especially for the 1 year qualifying offer).

What bothers me the most is there are some players that are available that could significantly improve this roster but you never hear any rumors of Donnie being interested in them.

Instead he goes after old, washed up players. I don't care if they were "locker-room" moves. Offering Kidd and Hill multi-year deals were stupid ideas.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Man this guy just keeps on coming back doesn't he? How many more press conferences will we have to introduce him back....over and over again. :teeth:

If we do sign him, 100 bucks says we use him as trade bait to ship out one of these contracts. :teeth:

I always liked Tim Thomas but I think he would be a good fit with a team like San Antonio. It's about time he went to contender.

I doubt he comes back here for a 1 year deal, makes no sense on any level. If he's going somewhere. He's gonna want to be:

A) A starter

or

B) On a Contender like San Antonio or LA Lakers.

He is NOT coming to play bench for ONE year on the KNICKS.

That's 3 negatives in one sentence....

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I hear you. I'm probably being too impatient. But I do think we have some valuable trading pieces. Chandler, Harrington, Mobley's contract, Lee sign and trade, and Nate sign and trade (especially for the 1 year qualifying offer).

What bothers me the most is there are some players that are available that could significantly improve this roster but you never hear any rumors of Donnie being interested in them.

Instead he goes after old, washed up players. I don't care if they were "locker-room" moves. Offering Kidd and Hill multi-year deals were stupid ideas.

We also can't offer anything more than the Mid-level Exception, which is a reason why Donnie doesn't go after anybody good. Ron Artest takes the MLE because he gets to play with a contender. What decent player would take the MLE to go to a team that's in the middle of a rebuilding process? Who do you think we can land that's good by offering them 6 million a year? Do you really think we can get anybody good for that price with the state that our team is in right now? Doubtful. Which is why Donnie hasn't bothered.

Dirk

Benchwarmer
I'm not sure how people think that other GM's in the league will just make trades with the Knicks for the sake of it. I'd say it's well hard for Donnie Walsh to trade any of his players in any fashion regardless of their contract. Other GM's are not looking at the Knicks going, yeah I need some of those players. We're a LOSING franchise. I'm not being negative, I'm being a realist. Who would you take from that Knick team? Wilson Chandler? Why? because he's going to get much much better and be an All star small forward? Lee because he's Mr Double Double? Gimme a break, get within a whisker of the playoffs or sneak in at 8th place perhaps, then heads might begin to turn a little. People wondering why we aren't making any big moves or using our "chips" to get Rubio, let me break it down for you: "WE SUCK BALLS".

LJ4ptplay

Starter
So essentially we can't attract anybody because we suck and can't trade any one of our players because they suck. Got it. No moves can be made to improve our roster and we will suck now and forever. Why bother then?

metrocard

Legend
Walsh is on my shit list.
Tim Thomas the best player we get this off season?
Way to set up for 2010.
The plan is to improve and attract free agents that we're a team with winning pieces, just need a winning superstar (Lebron, Wade)

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
I dont think Walsh will try to get Tim Thomas again. I think some smuck asked Donnie somthing like this: '' Hey Donnie what about TT? He just got brought out by Chicago.'' And Donnie went like ''I'm looking into it. He played well for us [last year]. He's a pro." What else he suppose to say other than ''get lost smuck''

On the funny side if he is gonna sign him, Tim Thomas can brake some records and no, not on the court. He will become the only player to be on a team(knicks) three diffrent times in five years and if we trade him to Chicago in february and they realese him(for the third time too) that won't be match ever loool.

Dirk

Benchwarmer
So essentially we can't attract anybody because we suck and can't trade any one of our players because they suck. Got it. No moves can be made to improve our roster and we will suck now and forever. Why bother then?

It's not that, I just read a lot of people on about Donnie Walsh and why cant he move this player and that player for this player or that player like he's playing a game of chess. I mean seriously, of course we can get better, but I'm sure other GM's around the league aren't foaming at the mouth or creaming their pants over Knicks players.

clumsy

Rotation player
They want to sign Tim Thomas to MLE because he can be used in trades later this year. He's not a bad player...definitely a guy who can crack a rotation on any NBA team and he will only make 5, 6 mil.

GetRealistic

Starter
he won't sign the mid level, he'll be signed to the veterans min. Which is something like 1.3 million.

People need to chill about how Walsh isn't doing his job. You gotta realize he has absolutely zero to work with... He only has the mid level exception at his disposal as far as spending money.. We basically have a roster full of players nobody wants and at this point are untradeable.

But on the flip side he's called David Lee's bluff and we'll either get him a reasonable contract or he'll sign his qualifying offer. Thats pretty good business if you ask me. Instead of being scared and offering Lee 10 million he stuck to his guns and now most likely will get Lee at a decent price.

This upcoming season trade deadline and next offseason is the time to judge Walsh. Once we hit the season certain teams will fall out of contention and decide to sell off players. And what will these teams want??? Thats right expiring contracts. So now Hughes, Harrington, and Duhon become vailable pieces.

Also at absolute worst next season we'll walk away with Joe Johnson and Bosh/Amare. It may not be an NBA championship squad but it would be the best team we've had since 2000 and for 2 years on the job and starting in cap hell thats pretty impressive.

And for best case scenario we land a Lebron/Wade and another high quality player and battle for the title the next 10 years.

If we haven't done anything come this time next off season have at it but as of now Walsh has done pretty good for what he has to work with. We're an Eddy Curry trade away from signging two max players.