Not only Robinson, but now Lee to Greece?

metrocard

Legend
Maybe Olympiakos should be changing its name to the Greece Knicks.
The Greek club is not only pursuing Knicks guard Nate Robinson, but according to a source, it has also contacted his teammate, forward David Lee. It is unclear if Lee has received an offer or if he has interest in playing overseas. Lee's agent, Mark Bartelstein, would not confirm whether he had spoken to Olympiakos but Bartelstein said last night that he is confident that his client will play in the NBA next season.
"I've had a lot of dealings with Olympiakos over the years," said Bartelstein, whose client, Jannero Pargo, played for the Greek team last year. "I'll never say never, but that's not where we're looking right now."
Bartelstein is still hopeful he can work out a deal for Lee, either with the Knicks or with another team through a sign-and-trade. Lee is looking for a deal that will pay him at least $10million annually. Bartelstein believes that is a fair asking price for a player who led the league in double-doubles.
Luol Deng of the Bulls and Andrew Bogut of the Bucks both have contracts that pay them $12 million annually. Toronto's Andrea Bargnani recently signed a contract that averages $10 million per season. For Lee to even consider leaving for Europe, he would have to get a contract that would pay him $10 million to $12 million annually.
Robinson, however, would seriously consider such a move since the reported two-year, $10 million offer he has received from Olympiakos is believed to be more lucrative than what he would get from an NBA team.
Robinson has the option to sign the Knicks' one-year, $2.9 million qualifying offer. Lee's one-year qualifying offer is for $2.7 million. If the Knicks were to lose one or both of their restricted free agents to a European club, it wouldn't be a total loss since the Knicks would still own their rights if they decided to return to the NBA.
Knicks president Donnie Walsh has made it clear that he wants to re-sign both players. If Robinson or Lee receives a contract offer from an NBA team, the Knicks would have seven days to match. But with few teams willing to spend money and even fewer under the salary cap, Robinson and Lee have yet to cash in on the free agent market.
Plus, with the Knicks committed to the 2010 free-agent market, it would benefit the club to get its two restricted free agents to sign one-year contracts.
When asked about Robinson yesterday, Walsh said the Knicks "have no way of knowing" if he has received an offer from Olympiakos and added that "there's nothing we can do about it" if he did.
"The rules are different over there," Walsh said.
There's also no way of knowing if Robinson and Lee are using Olympiakos to put pressure on the Knicks to get deals done. Olympiakos did entice Atlanta's restricted free agent, Josh Childress, to sign with the club last year.
Walsh, however, is still holding all the chips because the Knicks own the rights to both players. Plus, since Lee and Robinson entered the NBA in 2005, the Knicks haven't won more than 33 games in a season. That's another reason why Walsh has been reluctant to make an offer to Lee that approaches $10 million annually.

Wow.....

We can ignore David Lee is a 16 ppg, 11 rpg, 60% FG 80% FT smart bball who doesnt turnover and is a solid passer....hes a very good player.

No one would of thought Lee would be this good in the NBA, his work ethic will continue to improve his game.

We should invest in Lee.
let Nate go.

GetRealistic

Starter
Well see what happens but its a bad business move on both their parts. Because when and if they do come back to the NBA the Knicks still own their rights and they'll be right back in the same situation.

Sure they'll make their money over in Greece but we all know young players like Lee and Nate would want the exposure and the media coverage the NBA offers. Plus Nate and his flashy game would be a great draw but i don't really see David Lee as that much of a draw over there. All the players overseas are fundamentally sound and hustle and thats what Lee brings.

I agree that Nate would be a great draw and possibly a super star over there. I think there's a good possibility he goes. I think it's looking like the Knicks will be able to sign Lee. His asking price of $10m/year was obviously too high, especially with the salary cap going down and other teams are also trying to save cap room for next year's free agents.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Lee will NOT get $10 mil. His agent can bullshit around all he wants but it ain't happening. There is just no market for that asking price right now so he will eventually re-sign with the knicks and possibly be traded. Nate shouldn't be too hard to re-sign since he loves NY and knows he won't get anything over $5mil.

NYKnicks15

Starter
its ten million over two years for nate...

and this is actually the.... BEST news we could have ever got!!!!!

let them both go WHO CARES? we make a qualifying offer in June and we retain both of their rights. which sets us up for 2010.

we give Curry tons of minutes, Jeffries too... get them out of here by then and then after signing LeBron and whoever else we want... resign Lee/Nate for what makes them happy prob a cheaper price too after playing overseas and wantin to play for the Knicks with a stacked team.

Being Italian we really dont get along well with the Greeks.. buttttttt GO GREECE GO GO GREECE GO!!!!!!!!!!

CoolClyde

gettin it greek stylee

why would a bballer in prime of career leave the NBA, and the best players in the world?
Bad move for N8 or DLEE if they choose money over matter.
If N8 goes Greek, no more Krypto-Nate billboard on Broadway, his family and friends can't see him play, he can't speak his team/fan's home language, he won't get the LOVE from thousands of US kids who look up to him, buy his nba-licensed shirt, etc.... AND the league will miss him. The NBA Slam Dunk champion saying goodbye to the US of A? I don't think so.

I read that Walsh offered DLee $32M/4Yrs = $8M yr. Fair, but True?
Has N8 been offered anything other than 1 yr qualifying offer?

Best circumstance: sign both to reasonable multi-year contracts, as enticement for LBJ 2010.:crossfingers:

we know what DLEE agent Bartlestein wants (x% of $10-12M/year), what do DLEE and N8 want?
Plan 2010 yields 1-2 max contracts, Knicks become playoff team. I can see DLEE and N8 being part of that.
Both players know what it's like to win now and then in MSG, but will they know what it's like
to be a winner in this town? that's what matters.
:gony:

Coastyn

Rookie
OMG...Lee averaged 16 points and nate averaged 17 OFF THE BENCH...other than Al these two are the best players on our team...We won 32 games with and we arent guna win sh*T without them. Nate has the potential to be the best 6th man in the league and he doesnt get paid nearly as much as a top caliber 6th man like a jason terry. I bet if jason terry was a free agent there would be a 5 threads on why we should pick him up.

Welp, I think Nate'l jus take the 2+ million dollar a year contract. New York Loves nate and America knows him just as well. No matter how much is on his contract Nate will still get money elsewhere.

We cant jus drop them tho...(It would be hot if we can sign-and-trade with Greece):thumbsup:

I read that Walsh offered DLee $32M/4Yrs = $8M yr. Fair, but True?
Has N8 been offered anything other than 1 yr qualifying offer?

Me again, the fan of Olympiakos, who is getting on your nerves!!!

Well Olympiakos was heard that he would give 10 million euros to Nate for 2 years... well 10million euros is 14million usd. So Nate will probably gat an offer of 7M $ a year for 2 years (if olympiakos goes on with Nate...)

I am sorry for my bad English, if i had made any mistake!!

metrocard

Legend
OMG...Lee averaged 16 points and nate averaged 17 OFF THE BENCH...other than Al these two are the best players on our team...We won 32 games with and we arent guna win sh*T without them. Nate has the potential to be the best 6th man in the league and he doesnt get paid nearly as much as a top caliber 6th man like a jason terry. I bet if jason terry was a free agent there would be a 5 threads on why we should pick him up.

Welp, I think Nate'l jus take the 2+ million dollar a year contract. New York Loves nate and America knows him just as well. No matter how much is on his contract Nate will still get money elsewhere.

We cant jus drop them tho...(It would be hot if we can sign-and-trade with Greece):thumbsup:

Who is New York?
Since when all Knick fans love Nate?
Do you have a crush on the little man?

Nate is a 5"9 shooting guard, if Boykins doesnt make a lot of money, Nate won't either. Nate should be happy with 2 million.