Knicks stop pursue of Ramon Sessions..

portega1968

El Cacique
Sessions is a very nice talent to have.. defensive, he can tripledouble and he's even had 24 assists in a game

So, the Knicks must have agood reason to not push forward and I dont think its the money cause the guy can be had for the MLE.

To me, its one of two things:

1. the Knicks think they can get Jamaal Tinsley very cheap now that Indy will buy him out
2. Minny getting close to solving the Rubio situation may lead to a trade with the Knicks (either for Rubio or most probably Flynn)

Something tells me we will see QRich in a Knick uniform because of all this.

NYKnicks15

Starter
i actually dont believe we are out of the running for him at all. i think were just playing the waiting game and the sources are just following along with the story. on the small chance i am wrong all signs lead to a couple things.

either the two aforementioned. but i have a feeling itd be hard to bring in Tinsley especially with Walsh and his past. but more than likely after Nate turned down the Greece offer, this is a sign he will be a Knick again.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
When does the free-agency period end?

When does training camp begin?

Just curious. I expected this offseason to be more busy than it has. Donnie still hasn't done anything yet. I realize patience is good and it paid off with the Z-Bo trade but sometimes I wonder if Donnie is too patient. Most teams like to have their roster signed and ready to go for training camp.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Point Guard

The lack of activity for a point guard baffles me. With the exception of Rondo, who will be restricted, there are no first class point guards in the 2010 free agent class.

Right now we have Duhon and Douglas and perhaps Nate. Perhaps Donnie feels we can live with what we have for another year. Maybe then one of Rubio or Flynn will be available in a trade.

If we were to sign Sessions for a couple of years it further limits our ability to sign Lee and/or would lessen the value of what we might get in return in a sign and trade. Neither Miller nor Tinsley could possibly be in any long term plans.

Is Donnie being patient? What in the world does he have in mind?

mafra

Legend
I doubt Walsh is out of it. Knicks are simply trying to wait Sessions's agent out. Why bid against yourself? Plus, since he's a RFA, why bother tying that money up for a week waiting to see if MIL matches the offer.

I imagine Walsh is:

1- Trying to convince Andre Miller to accept a one year offer.
2- Waiting on D-Lee to decide what he'll do.
3- Seeing if N8 Robinson take the one year offer as well.

I really do think Walsh wants Sessions. How could you not? Sign him up for four years, add him to the young core you're assembling. He knows there's no rush, and for all we know he already has presented the agent with a verbal offer, or at least parameters of a deal that he's willing to extend.

I am sure, before Ramon does anything.... he'll give Walsh one last chance to offer something.

I wonder if Walsh plans on doing a sign and trade for Miller, and also sign Sessions. Is Duhon out of the picture?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I doubt Walsh is out of it. Knicks are simply trying to wait Sessions's agent out. Why bid against yourself? Plus, since he's a RFA, why bother tying that money up for a week waiting to see if MIL matches the offer.

I imagine Walsh is:

1- Trying to convince Andre Miller to accept a one year offer.
2- Waiting on D-Lee to decide what he'll do.
3- Seeing if N8 Robinson take the one year offer as well.

I really do think Walsh wants Sessions. How could you not? Sign him up for four years, add him to the young core you're assembling. He knows there's no rush, and for all we know he already has presented the agent with a verbal offer, or at least parameters of a deal that he's willing to extend.

I am sure, before Ramon does anything.... he'll give Walsh one last chance to offer something.

I wonder if Walsh plans on doing a sign and trade for Miller, and also sign Sessions. Is Duhon out of the picture?

I hope you're right. I would hate it if the Clippers or OKC nabs him while we sit on our hands and wait.

mafra

Legend
I hope you're right. I would hate it if the Clippers or OKC nabs him while we sit on our hands and wait.

I have to believe this. Look, what would Ramon want to do? Be a backup in OKC, or start in NYC.... possibly play with Lebron in 2010 (and beyond)? Go to LAC, and be the other team in LA?

Here's the deal, and why it really helps NY. Nobody is getting him on the cheap. Any small deal could be matched by MIL. SO, it's going to cost you 4-5 years.... around 24-30 million. Do you really envision LAC or OKC giving Sessions that kind of money? LAC has Davis, Gordon & now Telflair. OKC has Westbrook.

On top of all this, the New York Knicks have NO point guard for 2010, and this system is built around the PG position.

I really think Walsh is playing chicken with the agent. He knows he needs to bid at least 4 years to get Sessions, and the agent probably wants 5 years. I think Walsh would prefer 3 years.

Walsh will bring him in and give him money this year, keep the cost low next year, and then the rest in years 3 & 4. I just think he needs to see what Lee & N8 do first, to determine just how much money he can shell out for Sessions in year one?

Who knows really. It just makes too much sense, which might indicate that the Knicks, of course, wont do it.

Maybe they like Duhon a lot? He does have a better outside shot, and if you bring in a Miller or Tinsley, it'll help to keep him fresh. It's just that I keep returning to the fact we need a PG next year anyway!

pat

Starter
Maybe they like Duhon a lot? He does have a better outside shot, and if you bring in a Miller or Tinsley, it'll help to keep him fresh. It's just that I keep returning to the fact we need a PG next year anyway!

Or they think Douglas can bail out Duhon for a few minutes each game. I am not saying that I like this, but it seems plausible. Especially since Duhon started out rather well and slowed-down considerably towards the end of the season.

I have to believe this. Look, what would Ramon want to do? Be a backup in OKC, or start in NYC.... possibly play with Lebron in 2010 (and beyond)? Go to LAC, and be the other team in LA?

Here's the deal, and why it really helps NY. Nobody is getting him on the cheap. Any small deal could be matched by MIL. SO, it's going to cost you 4-5 years.... around 24-30 million. Do you really envision LAC or OKC giving Sessions that kind of money? LAC has Davis, Gordon & now Telflair. OKC has Westbrook.

On top of all this, the New York Knicks have NO point guard for 2010, and this system is built around the PG position.

I really think Walsh is playing chicken with the agent. He knows he needs to bid at least 4 years to get Sessions, and the agent probably wants 5 years. I think Walsh would prefer 3 years.

Walsh will bring him in and give him money this year, keep the cost low next year, and then the rest in years 3 & 4. I just think he needs to see what Lee & N8 do first, to determine just how much money he can shell out for Sessions in year one?

Who knows really. It just makes too much sense, which might indicate that the Knicks, of course, wont do it.

You have very sound reasoning, except the fact Sessions is a RFA. The Knicks have to give him a contract big enough and/or long enough so the Bucks don't match it. If he signs a deal for 3 million a year, the Bucks will match-that isn't much at all. If he signs a 5yr/34 million deal I doubt the Bucks match that. Bucks need cap space and could just push Jennings into more PT quicker than planned-not the end of the world.

I want Sessions here-but it needs to be a big deal. Sessions can be here and productive for a very long time-unlike Miller who is only a stop gap. Miller's effectiveness is starting to decrease and by the time the Knicks are ready to compete, he will be out the door.

portega1968

El Cacique
Sessions is a very nice talent to have.. defensive, he can tripledouble and he's even had 24 assists in a game

So, the Knicks must have agood reason to not push forward and I dont think its the money cause the guy can be had for the MLE.

To me, its one of two things:

1. the Knicks think they can get Jamaal Tinsley very cheap now that Indy will buy him out
2. Minny getting close to solving the Rubio situation may lead to a trade with the Knicks (either for Rubio or most probably Flynn)

Something tells me we will see QRich in a Knick uniform because of all this.

Walsh confirmed team is looking at Tinsley. Indy gave him $10mill of his $14mil, Walsh drafted him and it was Bird who didnt want him in Indy (not Walsh).

If he can be brought in for the vet minimum, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sessions needs to be here.....helps set up a nice core around a potential superstar coming here. Does Wade/Bosh/LBJ (or a 2nd tier star) want to play with Duhon as the starting PG? Or if Duhon signs elsewhere Douglas?

Paul1355

All Star
It's Whatever

Is Ramon Sessions worth the mid level exception? What if Donnie can do a sign and trade with Duhon/Nate and get a better PG.

People forget that Duhon was awesome the first half of the year and Mike D had him playing too many minutes for a player that was use to being a backup....Duhon was over used and is better than everyone thinks....he showed that he is good at feeding the outside shooters and Duhon has a nice shot that he doesn't show alot.

I thought Duhon's defense would be better but he was worth every penny of the mid level exception....can Ramon Sessions average Duhon's assist numbers and play as much as he did consistently????

If anything let Duhon stay for one more year and see if anyone wants Nate due to his high popularity...teams will want him for a decent price.

Is Ramon Sessions worth the mid level exception? What if Donnie can do a sign and trade with Duhon/Nate and get a better PG.

People forget that Duhon was awesome the first half of the year and Mike D had him playing too many minutes for a player that was use to being a backup....Duhon was over used and is better than everyone thinks....he showed that he is good at feeding the outside shooters and Duhon has a nice shot that he doesn't show alot.

I thought Duhon's defense would be better but he was worth every penny of the mid level exception....can Ramon Sessions average Duhon's assist numbers and play as much as he did consistently????

If anything let Duhon stay for one more year and see if anyone wants Nate due to his high popularity...teams will want him for a decent price.

I think he can since he came close in the Bucks system compared to the Knicks system and played less minutes-its a no-brainer who is better. The question is...."Is the difference between Sessions and Duhon enough to lose that cap space?" I feel it is, but if Sessions keeps us from signing one of Wade/LBJ/Bosh, then he isn't worth it.